10,679 results
All reviewsbarcelo premiumgabriel chocolatejulio iglesiasquiet poolswim up barrock climbing wallrenovated roomocean viewthe mexican restaurantkids poola la carte restaurantsbeautiful beachseafoodgreat vacationpalm treespicky eaterfamily vacation
Reviewed March 24, 2009

We stayed at this resort both in January '08 and '09 and had a great time and pleasant trip both times. I read reviews on this resort after booking the first time and was quite worried after doing so. We were however pleasantly surprised at how great it was. We went 2 times with 2 different couples and all had a great time and said they would return in the future.We would definitely go back here again and do plan to do so. People really need to lighten up. We stayed in the non renovated rooms both times, in block 5 both times, but on different floors. The rooms are not the reason I go anywhere. I sleep, shower and leave to spend the majority of the time on the beach or at the pool enjoying everything that there is to offer. Maybe the rooms are not Canadian/American standard 4+ star...but people...you are in a very poor country, where standards are perhaps less that what we expect. I don't need a flat screen Tv with lots of channels either. You need to go with the flow. We bumped into people being very obnoxious and berating the staff at the top of their lungs. I know myself that when someone speaks to me that way, they are not going to get my best reaction back, so try a little friendliness and be courteous when dealing with even a big problem and you will probably get further. We ourselves ,this year had an air conditioner that didn't work the first 2 days. We went to the front desk the 2nd day and talked nicely to the manager , Wellington, who happened to be there and it was fixed in no time. As far as the food goes, there must be alot of picky eaters out there. We never went hungry for sure. Lots to eat wherever we went, ate at the Mexican, Japanese, Italian, and Dominican. All were very good, not perfect, but still good. Never met a staff member that didn't either say "Ola" to me first or reply when I said it to them. Pool bar staff were fantastic. Not hard to get a chair either on the beach or by the pool. Bavarro Runner tour was fantastic,. Hurt my finger Boogie Boarding and the Dr was great, spoke very good English as well as other languages I overheard while he was dealing with other patients. Newer quiet pool is beautiful as well as the new kid's pool/play area that is super fun looking. Entertainment was fun, again maybe not up to American/Canadian standards, but still fun. One thing I would comment on is that the Casino staff could be a bit friendlier, but I didn't spend all that much time there, so what did it matter? New sports bar is cool with lots of different games to play, pool table etc. If you go looking for the bad, you probably will find something, it is how you deal with it that will make or break your holiday.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
7  Thank wickedwen
Reviewed March 23, 2009

I will keep this short and sweet as there are plenty of reviews, good and bad for this resort.
GOOD
~BEACH.. WOW nicest beach I've ever seen and very clean. Spent all our time there.
~POOLS, both huge and very clean .
~LAY-OUT, the resort is big but very well laid out, not alot of walking, however, many stairs so if you have a disability, choose another resort as the elevators are often broken.
~HARD LIQUOR DRINKS, very good, we asked for 'muchos' rum, which made them stronger.
~WEATHER, perfect except for one of the 6 days.
BAD
~ROOMS, dated, hardly clean, stinky bed linen, old towels
~THE SHOWER possibly the biggest annoyance went from cold to hot and pressure came on and off. Drove us nuts!!
~THE FOOD other than the Italian and Japanese restaurants, the rest of the food was terrible
~SERVICE also terrible. asked for wake-up calls 3 times and they were 15-30 mins late each time , which was a real pain the morning we left. We didin't have a hair dryer or alarm clock for the whole week.
~THE DR AT THE CLINIC very un professional and not qualified in my opinion
~WINE watered down and gross
~ANIMATION/ENTERTAINMENT, very bad, we hardly watched it the whole week.

Any resort is what you make of it and we did have a good time. However, there were far more negatives than positives. This resort has the potential to be a five star. With renovations and better service it would be amazing. I feel that Air Transat really ripped us off and I am writing them an email and a letter to express my disapointment with their service. If you get a deal under 1000, go; otherwise, find a better place to spend your well deserved sunny holiday.

5  Thank slwallace81
Reviewed March 23, 2009

I went to Barcelo for my Spring Break with my sister and our friend. It was an AWESOME vacation. The service at the bar and lobby could have been faster and the food could have been a little better, but overall it was amazing! The people there are always smiling and talking to you, always making you feel good. Every room has a balcony which is sweet. There's always something for you to be doing- whether playing beach volleyball, learning how to salsa, water aerobics etc.. There is a show every night- they were great as well. There is a casino and downstairs there is a "club" which is packed with people and good music. I met a ton of people and made a lot of friends and I CANNOT WAIT to go back- we're planning to go back New Year's Eve this year :]

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
4  Thank nastassjamirowski
Reviewed March 23, 2009

Hi: We were at the Barcelo Punta Cana from March 7-21, 2009. We had a beautiful room in section 3 overlooking the ocean (king size bed, beautiful white duvet, flat screen TV, etc.). Fridge in the room was stocked each day. The resort was clean, food was good (always find something to eat) and the beach was the best! The restaurants we like the best - Italian, Marlin and Japenese. We had no complaints. Some people did complain that there was not enough entertainment at night but we were usually exhausted in the evening anyhow.

3  Thank MimPEI
Reviewed March 20, 2009

Great location, fabulous beach, nice spa, food was ok, at best, room was horrible, service was horrible. Will definitely go back to Punta Cana, never back to this resort!

1  Thank ElaineCalgary