“Went for a wedding-great time!”
Review of Occidental Caribe

Occidental Caribe
Ranked #63 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
Guelph, Ontario
“Went for a wedding-great time!”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

We went to this resort January 15-22 2014. We flew from Toronto with Air Transat. We arrived at the resort around 2:30pm. Check in was slower but understandably as it takes a long time to check in so many people. We were checked in by 3:15.
Room
Our room was 1203. It is the farthest from the beach and pool with the swim up bar, but was very nice and upgraded. We had no complaints about our room. We had a king size bed which is what we requested and pillows were great not moldy smelling like others have said. We never had an issue with hot water or water pressure. Do take your own washcloths with you as we were only given 1 a day. Mini fridges get stocked with 1 large bottle of water, beer, pop and a juice box.
Pools
There are 2 pools at this resort. A quiet or family pool which has the kids play area next to it. We never spent time at this pool but walked past it and it looked nice. The other pool has the swim up bar. This pool is nice, however found the water a bit cool at time.
The buffet always had a ton of selection. There are omelette, egg and pancake and crepes stations for breakfast. At lunch and dinner there are pasta stations, carving stations. Never a problem with running out of food. We ate at 5 a la cartes. The seafood bbq and the Japanese were the best in my opinion. We also tried the Dominican, Italian, and French restaurants. There was also a late night snack bar in the theater area where they served buns, nachos, chicken, and cut up hotdogs. Down by the pool there is also a snack area where they serve burgers,hotdogs and fries during the day. There is also a pizza place which serves delict pizza. We ate lunch there several times.
Entertainment
Entertainment could have been better. The first night we were there there was a magic of Disney show which was really good. The other nights were kind of boring but we still went and watched the shows every night. In the theater there are also a couple pool tables. There was always afternoon entertainment by the pool where the staff always got visitors up to participate in the activities.
Excursions
We did the Caribbean festival and really enjoyed it. We went out on a big pirate themed ship to the ocean to an area where we were able to swim with nurse sharks(vegetarian) and interact with sting rays. Then we were also able to go out and snorkel in the ocean. The entertainment on the ship was great at well.
Wedding
The wedding was down by the beach in the afternoon. It was a short ceremony with a cocktail hour on the beach with a bar set up and some appetizers. Pictures were done on the beach with the ocean as the backdrop. Following cocktail hour we went to the Japanese restaurant where we had a delicious dinner and cake.
Overall
Overall we had a great experience. I would recommend the resort as we all had a great time.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank js1234567
barcelopc, Director General at Occidental Caribe, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear guest,

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen Barceló Punta Cana as your holiday destination. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at our Hotel. We greatly appreciate your feedback as it enables us to continue improving and providing our service for our guests.

I really appreciate all your wonderful comments regarding to our resort. We are very pleased to know you enjoyed all services in our resort especially our kindness in providing our services.

Please feel sure that your observations are taking into great consideration for their analysis, in order to analyze the points you mentioned.

Hope to see you back in our property near in the future,

Director Hotel Barceló Punta Cana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,229)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Reviewed February 2, 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here January 13 - 20, we flew air transat and booked a club premium room. First off if you stay here I recommend getting the club upgrade, we did it and I wouldn't do it differently. Rosa up in the club lounge helped us with all of our needs, the girls working for her did an amazing job as well, especially Yesica.

We ate at every a la carte except the seafood restaurant and they were all amazing. Some of the best food I've had at a resort, the Japanese wasn't the greatest but we still enjoyed it. Buffet was your typical buffet and I had no problems with the food there.

The hotel is older so don't expect everything to be top of the line in pristine condition. Its a great resort for a quiet getaway or a family trip as there are plenty of things to do for kids.

I've read some comments from some hillbillies complaining about the country being dirty or not being able to drink from the bathroom taps??? I'd suggest you do a little reading and research if you're capable of it before for you travel to another country, or maybe just stay home and let the rest of us enjoy the Dominican for what it is, a beautiful country with amazingly friendly people.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the club premium suite, well worth the extra couple of bucks!!!!
13 Thank Beaner204
barcelopc, Director General at Occidental Caribe, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Barceló Punta Cana on Tripadvisor! It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
We will share your comments with our team, who we are certain will be encouraged by your remarks. The hotel continuously strives to meet your needs and expectation.
Once again, thank you for your comments. We hope to be able to welcome you again at Barceló Punta Cana.

Yours sincerely,
Cornwall, Canada
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Vacationed January 21st to 28th. Resort was very well laid out. Everything was within walking distance. Ample bars, pools,snack bars etc. Food was very good and tastefull. Like any other buffet you have the repeat day after day so you try today and skip tomorrow no problem. Always had plenty to choose from. We eat at the French A La Carte EXCELLENT and service was nothing but excellent. Towel service was a little slow but resort was full I'm sure.Pool intertainment was great always kept us occupied and full of fun. Night shows were a little Cheezy except for Micheal Jackson show and the audience participation show they were great also the beach party was good also if you care to dance in the sand.The only issue we had was the plumbing in the room no pressure for a shower and if the pressure was good the hot would just trickle out didn`t want to complain because wanted to stay in that room block 7 view of the ocean was great and didn`t want to get seperated from our friends in the same block. Taps and shower head we`re not to secured in the wall of the bathroom need major upgrade.Other then that the beach was one of the best I've seen.Got to know the swim up bar bartender well Luis he was Johnny on the spot very nice young man and a hard worker. Beds were very comfortable wish I could of brought home the pillows.Check in was pretty good but didn`t have buttler service so had to find our room ourselves which took a bit since we we`re the last block on the end. Check out was simple and fast and transport to the airport was good and on time. So overall no complaints except the plumbing but I did manage to wash up or shower on a good day so all is good.

Room Tip: Block 7 has great view and close to everything.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
barcelopc, Director General at Occidental Caribe, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
Dear guest,

Greetings from Barcelo Punta Cana and thank you so much for sharing your valuable feedback about your recent stay with us.

We would like to thank you for highlighting our strengths and weaknesses. Please be sure that your observations are taking into great consideration for their analysis, in order to improve the points you mentioned.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at Barcelo Punta Cana to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities and change any negative perception you may have about us

Hope to see you again for another amazing stay!

Kind regards,

courtice, ontario
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Hi, I just wanted to share my positive experience with my latest trip to Punta Cana , I loved everything about this resort, it was not to big that you would have to take a golf cart , you can walk everywhere , all the restaurants were amazing, I am always careful when I go away not to eat the fruit or salad, BUT I hate everything and more lol Not once did I feel sick , everything is well washed with distilled water , they are always , always clearing the food away , even before the tray was empty , they would bring fresh out every 10 mins , all the food is kept at the perfect temperatures of cold and hot . the suite was amazing !! and the club lounge was incredible , the ladies there will do everything they can for you , It is worth the upgrade !!!!!!! the beach was beautiful and huge , always had a lounge chair available, and the waves were so much fun to play and swim in , LOTS of things for the kids to do , they have their own pool , that was just full of lots to do , they had their own playroom , with everything you could want in it . we stayed for 9 days and did not regret our choice !! if you have any questions , e-mail me and I can try to answer them for you
If I had to say one bad / negative thing about it, I was disappointed there was nothing around us , no town , no shopping :( to some it would be perfect . but we missed going on a local outing. however there are still tons of excursions to do,

Room Tip: we stayed in building 2 , suite 2225 , there are 7 buildings, it is confusing at first lol our firs...
3 Thank Straight4orward
Dear guest,

We greatly appreciate you have chosen Barceló Punta Cana as your vacation destination, thank you for sharing your feedback as well.

I am very pleased to know that you had a wonderful stay with us and it is a real honor for me to hear your comments about our facilities and the exceptional service you have received from Gisela and the entire team.

For us it is very important the experience our guest have about their stay with us. I have read thoroughly your comments because they are very important for us as a responsible and professional hotel chain. I accept your feedback for a continuous improvement.

On behalf of our team thank you very much for your review.

We are looking forward to welcome you back pretty soon

Dallas, Georgia
Reviewed January 30, 2014

I booked this hotel on the spur of the moment and did not read any reviews or had expectations. I ended up in a premium suite, even though I booked a regular room. Nice surprise. Check in was not too bad to complain. The suite was clean, the bed was very comfortable. Not everything worked in the suite upon my arrival, but within 15-20 min everything was fixed. There were some insects finding its way into the room, but the room was on the ground floor and a couple of feet away from the nature. So it did not bother me, in fact they were already dead. The suite might benefit from some upgrades though. It had full kitchen which was useless in all inclusive hotel. I don't know how anyone could complain about food. It was excellent, especially dinners. Huge, huge variety of whatever you desire. And all of an excellent quality. The service was perfect. The beach was nice, but the ocean was a bit rough for swimming. The pools were clean. Lots of entertainment. I had a massage in a Spa and it was nice. It might have been a bit crowded for my taste, but it did not bother me much. Thank you to all staff making my experience a pleasurable one. Great value for the money.

Room Tip: I think rooms above the ground floor are quieter. Supplies delivery vans and cleaning/maintenance st...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ellie S
Dear guest,

In Barceló Punta Cana we have a strong commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests expectations.

Thank you very much for all your comments regarding to our resort. Your feedback will encourage us to continue providing the high level of service we believe our guests deserve.

Barceló and its team are working very hard to improve our service on the daily basis.

As with any business like ours, the greatest advertising we can have is word of mouth from a satisfied customer. It’s our goal to retain you as a satisfied customer and will hope to serve you again in the future.

Ontario
Reviewed January 29, 2014

My husband and I had a great vacation week of Jan 17-24. We loved the hotel, the food was good, never once went hungry. The a-la-cartes were very good, especially the Japanese.
The beach was fantastic. Beautiful beach. Always found a chair either at the beach or at the pool. Drinks were very good at each bar we stopped at. Shows were ok. Something relaxing for the evening. I really don't understand why the negative reviews, we would certainly go back. I think some people must be very, very picky!!!
We met a very nice family, Dana, Marie, Marie's Mom and Alex, thoroughly enjoyed their company. Thanks Barceló for a terrific time.

Room Tip: Ocean view does not always mean 'ocean view', there are a lot of palm trees to block your vi...
3 Thank HollybellOntario
barcelopc, Director General at Occidental Caribe, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your compliments about our property. We are pleased of knowing that you always have a wonderful experience with us and you have taken the time to post this review.
It make us very proud to read your nice valuation regarding our services and facilities overall.
Once more, thank you for your comments. We hope to be able to welcome you again to Barceló Punta Cana and give you another amazing experience.
Kind regards,

Arcola sask canada
Reviewed January 29, 2014

My wife and I were there on jan. 12/2014 for one week. I guess because we were on a last min holiday we got the run down room every time you had a shower Willie5554the soap despenser would fall off the wall the patio door was wore out my wife couldn't even open it the small rug between beds I don't think ever got shook out.To top things off you couldn't get a good rest as the Russians would be in the hall ways yelling ,argueing and of coarse hanging out as we had two couches in the hallway for everyone to sit and anoye the people trying to sleep. All this took place between 1 to 5am every day. You can't brush your teeth unless you use bottled water unless you want typhoid. The whole country is a dirty discussting place. They need to put there people to work collecting the garbage. If they don't no what to do with it maybe they should check into a garbage burning boiler France has been burning one for years. Or try calling Babcock and Wilcox they will build one for you. Anyway I seen as much of that country as I want by the end of the week we had enough of the French people ,Russians and Spanish butting in front of you cutting you off and figuring they are more important than anyone else. One more thing if going on any tours guess what there is only one other rod in the country, took three tours and all went down the same three foot pot holes road. Biggest ripoff was the dune boggy ( junk) wouldn't steer to right no breaksWillie5554 and dyed halfway through the trip. Never comeing back there are way better and cleaner places to holiday.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Wjwelding5
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Barcelo Punta Cana for your holidays. In the name of our entire staff, we want to thank you for taking time to share your review with other travelers.
We take all guest feedback very seriously because we want improve with you, and we're constantly changing all aspects of our service and facilities. Thank you to give us your honest point of view about our property and services. On behalf of the entire Barcelo Punta Cana staff, please accept our apologize for any discomfort you may have encountered.
We thank you for your feedback. It helps us to improve our standards of service.
Please feel free to contact us, in case you decide to visit us again.
Yours Sincerely,