This is our fifth visit to Punta Cana and the first to Barcelo. We stayed the week before at Iberostar Punta Cana on Bavaro Beach and can objectively say that Barcelo's focus is on quantity at the expense of quality. We stayed at Barcelo as an exchange through our vacation club and though we got a good deal on the whole, we would have paid a few bucks more per day to get a better bargain.
. The beach: nice and clean under the shade of coconut trees.
. The weather: not too hot to be unbearable, clear blue sky.. it rained all day only once.
. The quiet area around the newer swimming pool and the Mexican Lindo Restaurant.
. The food: we had dinner at the Kyoto(Japanese), La Dolce Vita(Italian) and La Comedie (French) restaurants and the food was good. Even the house wine (Le Marquis de Iglesias from Spain) was good. We also had Sake with Tepanyaki at the Kyoto Restaurant.
. The bars in the Lobby: tip the baremen and you will have have better service.
. Housekeeping: we had to ask for facial towels, coffee and cream, water. You don't have to do this in a 4 star resort. There is no consistency. The mini bar was not working.It made a lot of noise without cooling the drinks. We reported that but to no avail. The little dust bin in the bathroom (near the toilet) was rusty...not the standard you would expect from a 4 star resort.
. The shower: we could have a cold shower but not a warm one. Very hard to get the shower head to work and the water pressure very weak.
. Worst of all: At 6 p.m. on the eve of our check out, the room was not made although we left the appropriate note on the door knob in the morning. No consistency and not a 4 STAR standard. The staff work hard and until late, may be more staff is needed for such a huge resort.
General Maintenance: The older area around the main swimming pool, the El Marlin restaurant, the Burger stand, the beach bar need some serious improvement. The tiles around
the swimming pool are quickly deteriorating and can be dangerous to customers.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Booking.com, Barcelo, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Occidental Caribe reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barcelo Punta Cana Hotel Punta Cana
- Breezes Punta Cana
- Barcelo Punta Cana Resort
- Barcelo Premium Punta Cana
- Barcelo Dominican Punta Cana
- Punta Cana Barcelo