“Not a 4 star resort”

Ranked #64 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Oshawa, Canada
“Not a 4 star resort”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

This is our fifth visit to Punta Cana and the first to Barcelo. We stayed the week before at Iberostar Punta Cana on Bavaro Beach and can objectively say that Barcelo's focus is on quantity at the expense of quality. We stayed at Barcelo as an exchange through our vacation club and though we got a good deal on the whole, we would have paid a few bucks more per day to get a better bargain.

The Plus:

. The beach: nice and clean under the shade of coconut trees.
. The weather: not too hot to be unbearable, clear blue sky.. it rained all day only once.
. The quiet area around the newer swimming pool and the Mexican Lindo Restaurant.
. The food: we had dinner at the Kyoto(Japanese), La Dolce Vita(Italian) and La Comedie (French) restaurants and the food was good. Even the house wine (Le Marquis de Iglesias from Spain) was good. We also had Sake with Tepanyaki at the Kyoto Restaurant.
. The bars in the Lobby: tip the baremen and you will have have better service.

The Cons:
. Housekeeping: we had to ask for facial towels, coffee and cream, water. You don't have to do this in a 4 star resort. There is no consistency. The mini bar was not working.It made a lot of noise without cooling the drinks. We reported that but to no avail. The little dust bin in the bathroom (near the toilet) was rusty...not the standard you would expect from a 4 star resort.

. The shower: we could have a cold shower but not a warm one. Very hard to get the shower head to work and the water pressure very weak.

. Worst of all: At 6 p.m. on the eve of our check out, the room was not made although we left the appropriate note on the door knob in the morning. No consistency and not a 4 STAR standard. The staff work hard and until late, may be more staff is needed for such a huge resort.

General Maintenance: The older area around the main swimming pool, the El Marlin restaurant, the Burger stand, the beach bar need some serious improvement. The tiles around
the swimming pool are quickly deteriorating and can be dangerous to customers.

Room Tip: Rooms in buildings 1,2 and 3 near the newer area.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
barcelopc, Manager at Occidental Caribe, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Clement,
First of all we thank you for choosing our hotel Barcelo Punta Cana for your holidays and for the time you took to share your review with the Tripadvisor community.
We would like to thank you for highlighting our strengths and weaknesses. Please be sure that your observations are taken into great consideration for their analysis, in order to improve the points you mentioned.
We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at Barcelo Punta Cana to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities and change any negative perception you may have about us
We will be honored to welcome you back. Do not hesitate to contact us prior your next visit.
Warm regards,
Sandy Pfeil

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,215)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Villa Park, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

I went to this resort for my senior trip graduating high school with four of my other friends. We went in mid August of this year 2013. People always complain that this resorts check in takes 2 hours and what no but I did not experience that at all. However, we arrived on a Monday and the reason for check ins to take forever is cause the locals come in on weekends. If anyone wants to go to this resort I would recommend checking in on a Weekday and checking out on a Weekday as well, which is what we did. During the week the resort was peaceful and nice. Me and my friends spent most of our time in the pool that had a bar in it and we met other American and Canadian people we made friends with. DO NOT DRINK MAMAJUANA!! I took a shot of this drink and blacked out started puking. Luckily, I had my friends to take care of me. This resort is very safe. Keep in mind my parents are very strict and wouldn't have let me go to a resort that wasn't safe. The nightclub was pretty lame as it only played Spanish music. We never adventured to the other clubs but I would highly reccommend if you have a group of young adults otherwise sometimes you will be bored. All the excursions are available to reserve on the resort. The food is pretty good! I didn't like the breakfast food very much but I enjoyed the lunch and dinners a lot. All the restaurants we ate at were excellent. I recommend the "make your own pasta" bar which is served everyday and the Korean BBQ which I think is available on Sundays at the main dining hall. The alcohol is excellent! Me and my friends went on two excursions the zip lining and the snorkeling which were both fun and beautiful. We saw many fish. The beach on the resort is beautiful! However there is no snorkeling available on the resort beach itself. I also recommend the banana boat!! If you meet a bartender Francisco who normally is the bartender at the Sports Bar he makes the best drinks!! My only problem with this resort was that the toilet got clogged a couple of times but keep in mind we are not in america or first world country so don't try to make it a big deal! Overall I had a fantastic vacation and would definitely come back and make this resort an annual vacation with my friends :) If you have any detailed questions please be free to message me!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Suchi K
Dear Suchi,
Thank you for having chosen Barceló Hotels & Resorts already for the 4th time and for sharing your experience with us through this website.
It is a pleasure to read, that you had a wonderful vacation in our resort.
We are also very pleased to read your appraisal of our team, services and facilities and I know that my colleagues will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts to meet your needs. Our main goal is the total satisfaction of our guests, and we are very glad to read that we accomplish that goal during your stay.
On behalf of all staff I would like to thank you for your nice words of recognition for our work.
We look forward to welcoming you soon back at the Barceló Punta Cana.
Kind Regards
Elliston, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

My mother, son, and I stayed here for a week in March of 2013. There were things we really liked about the resort and things we really didn’t. We arrived late at night and check in was a bit slow (they seemed disorganized). We were hungry, but, because we were late arriving, all the restaurants were closed and the only food option was dried up, nasty finger food in the theatre (I’m not picky…it was really gross).

Room:
We stayed in a room in building 5. The first day we got there, our toilet wouldn’t flush, but the resort staff was very quick to fix it. We did have tiny ants in our room and they offered to spray the room, but it never happened. We also had trouble getting towels one day (took about an hour to get some delivered to our room).

The first couple of days we were there, the building we were staying in was very quiet and peaceful. This all changed when a large group of students arrived. They kept us up late at night (til 3 a.m. on a couple of occasions) with their shouting and door banging--very inconsiderate. I was surprised that the resort staff didn’t do anything about it.

Food:
There were a lot of food choices with a large buffet with plenty of variety for breakfast, lunch, and supper each day. The buffet had different themes for supper each night. During the daytime, there was also another buffet, the Marlin, by the pool area and we had breakfast and lunch there a couple of times – it was good and less crowded than the main buffet. The pizzeria is upstairs from the Marlin and has delicious pizza (very difficult to get drinks up there, however—you should definitely bring one with you). The hamburger/fries stand is also next to this buffet (very good).

There are also six a la carte restaurants to choose from. You can book three a la carts when staying for a week, but you can book additional ones by checking availability with guest services each day from 9 am - 4 pm (I would suggest early morning because it is on a first come first served basis). We tried four of the a la carts (Japanese, Dominican, French, and Italian) and our favorite was the Japanese restaurant.

Bar:
There were lots of nice drinks to choose from and they had a specialty drink each day. The mudslides were delicious!! In the mornings we were able to get yummy cappuccinos at the bar outside the buffet. We always found the bartenders to be very friendly and the service was great!

Beach:
The beach is absolutely beautiful with nice white powdery sand and large waves. We never had trouble finding loungers at the beach for all three of us. The beach was definitely the highlight of our trip. We did painting lessons on the beach (offered a couple of times a week – complimentary) and that was lots of fun. You can get a list of activities each day from guest services.

I definitely recommend bug spray for nighttime.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Cheryl C
Dear Cheryl,
Thank you for having chosen Barceló Hotels & Resorts and for sharing your experience with us through this website.
Your opinion is one of our top priorities, now that we are seriously committed to the achievement of our guests' satisfaction.
Even though you feel a bad breath with the unfortunate situation in your block, and we do not want you to have a mistaken perception from us, we would like to have the opportunity to host you once again in one of our Barceló Hotels & Resorts. Please note that security measures have been adapted since.
We deeply regret any negative situation you have experienced.
Kind greetings,
Drummondville, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

we have visited this resort april 19-26, was our 1st time travelling to Dominican Republic, so we choose punta cana since everyone says that this is the place to go. have been to cuba many times and wanted a change and we werent disappointed one bit!
I was travelling with my 2 teenage sons, so I was looking for a place they would enjoy and wouldnt get bored.I bought this at the last minute at got a really good deal.

Rooms: they were great, big,clean,clean bathrooms(even had facecloths) we were close to the beach and the activity pool which was nice, second floor with a balcony.

beach: beautiful,lovely,clean,even had garbage cans and recycling right on the beach, even had a life guard. only thing is that sometimes outsiders come to bother you to buy stuff or visit places, just say no to them and they will go away.

pools: 2 huge pools, activity pool and quiet pool. we spent most of our time at the activity pool,always had games and music. we went to the quiet pool a couple of times just to relax

activities: you never had to worry about enternaiment cause their were always something going on. beer contest,fruit carving, water sports even a beach party one night which was so awesome. they have a trampoline and a rock climbing for the kids.games room which my sons spend alot of time it was open 24hrs had pool tables,ping pong tables, arcade games.

food: the buffet was really good and so was the a la carte restaurants,they have a pizzeria too

service: was pretty good, only thing was that we arrived at 12;30pm and werent able to get our room till 4pm, but besides that it was good

all in all this is a great hotel, lots of things to do, lots of bars open most of the night, theatre was awesome and their bar was open till 5am, even had a discotheque in the hotel, my son really enjoyed this, he also enjoyed the sports bar, their was also music playing in the lobby everynight and it was music that we listen too so was nice.

couple pointers....they use U.S dollars, so the stores on site were very expensive, make sure to go to the meeting with the rep from your flight they give you alot of pointers for your stay.
locals come twice a week to sell things and they can be real pests and dont like you to say no so becareful and they sell expensive too. we flew with air transat and had the best flight ever and what great about going here is that you have no tax at the airport to pay, what else was cool was their airport in punta cana they have all kinds of restaurants from home over there, nice way to finish your vacation.

so far this has been our best trip ever,this is a great hotel, the only little thing about it is I wish it wouldnt be so expensive but I guess its cause its punta cana and I guess you pay more when something is really great.. have nothing bad to say about this hotel really:)...and we are foresure going back, I had planned to go back in november with my teenage daughters but ended up going to cuba in october so now our next trip is a family trip at the end of April to the Barcelo in Punta Cana and I just can wait for my family to live this experience!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Christine C
barcelopc, Manager at Occidental Caribe, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear Christine,
The nice notes like the one you kindly posted on the Trip Advisor webpage are very appreciated by us. Thank you for taking some time to express your impressions during your stay at the Barceló Punta Cana. It was delightful for all our staff to read that you appreciate the service of all of them and the facilities at the resort. Your comments encourage us to continue improving our services.
Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to be able to welcome you back.
Warmest Regards
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

Hi, my name is JOSE ROSARIO CACERES, I stayed with my family in Barcelo Punta Cana (carretera Macao) this past weekend (10/25/13-10/29/13).
My experience in this resort wasn't very good. My nacionality is dominican, and I felt many employees treat dominican people not with the same quality and friendlyness as they do with people with other nationalities like american and european ones.

I noticed it when doing reservation for a night restaurant, ahead of us, in the line, there was a group of guests from europe, and the employee treated them very gently, but when we got our turn for reservation, she was kind of rude with my wife, inmediately we noticed her actitud change in the way she answered to our request.
The same happend to me personally the second day at the buffet, in lunch time, there was a wrong sign on the auyamas food (auyama is the name for a food plate from my country), of course I recognize the auyama when I see it, because I'm dominican, but the sign said: POLENTA. I was confused because I don't know what POLENTA is, and when I asked one of the waiter if the food was POLENTA or auyama, he answerd in a sarcastic way: Aren't you dominican? Don't you see that's auyama?. I felt embarrased, because I was confused with the sign that said another name.
Of course, not all employees were rude, specially the operator (DULCE), she was the kindest person in the hotel, and one of the waiters, (HERIBERTO BELTRAN), he does a magnific labor and is a very gentle and friendly server. I must mention also, a nice lady who organized and cleaned our room (MILADYS MERAN), she treated me with respect and was very helpful with my baby's necesities (my daughter is 15 months old).
The hotel must have more employees like these ones mentioned before.

Please, treat our dominican people with more respect and dignity, we are humans beings also like american and european people and work hard in foreign countries too. My family and I were very tired and needed a break in our routine, and I chose your hotel to relax, but really, I'm disapointed with the experience.

Room Tip: Don't take a room on the third or second floor over the buffet place. It's noisy.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank martinrosario11
Dear Martin,
Thank you for choosing Barcelo Punta Cana for your holidays. In the name of our entire staff, we want to thank you for taking time to share your review with other travelers.
We take all guest feedback very seriously because we want improve with you, and we're constantly changing all aspects of our service and facilities. Thank you to give us your honest point of view about our property and services. On behalf of the entire Barcelo Punta Cana staff, please accept our apologize for any discomfort you may have encountered.
We thank you for your feedback. It helps us to improve our standards of service.
Please feel free to contact us, in case you decide to visit us again.
Yours Sincerely,
East Meadow
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

Room not ready until 4pm ,we picked the premium club suite and were able to go to the premium lounge to wait . Food was good service was good. Rosa Ramirez at the club premium took care of all our wants and any problems we had " we did not speak Spanish and when we could not understand she would help". For the extra $s the club premium is well worth it, all in all we had a good vacation week.

Room Tip: You have to ask for washcloths they will change them every day. Ask for rooms facing the ocean.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank James C
Dear James
Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at the Barcelo Punta Cana. Thank you for choosing Barcelo Punta Cana for your holidays and for the time you spent sharing your review with other travelers on Tripadvisor.com.
We are happy to read that your recent stay at our resort was overall what you expected and we thank you for your valuable comments.
Be sure that all supervisors have been informed about the recommendations that you have highlighted and we are already fine tuning our hotel operation accordingly.
Thanks again and will be a pleasure to have you back.
Sincerely yours,
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

The vendors are theives. Do NOT buy from them. Take your own washcloths (the hotel has none). Take your own body lotion....they will give you a shoe horn though. Not all of the specialty restaurants will be open during your stay....2 were closed during ours and the pizzeria never opened although according to staff if was supposed to. The rock climbing didnt appear to be open much either so we never caught it. ALL the jacuzzis are COLD, even the one that you pay to use in the spa. (they told us it would be hot). The food is mostly bland, the "sushi" was intollerable but the teppanyaki was fine. The nightly shows are good but never started on time. The disco only plays spanish music (no international mix). After the hoards of locals on weekend passes left, the pool and surroundings were not properly cleaned. Even on a quiet day, there was no proper service in the buffet (tables left uncleared, no settings, no tea / cups etc)

Room Tip: The rooms located above the main dining hall are noisey and the food smells waft in.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Donna-Maria
Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at Barcelo Punta Cana.
We greatly appreciate that you have chosen one of our Barcelo Resorts as your holiday destination.
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at our Hotel. We greatly appreciate your feedback as it enables us to continue improving and providing our service for our guests.
Please feel sure that your observations are taking into great consideration for their analysis, in order to verify the points you mentioned.
Kind regards