“Excellent hotel!!!!”
Review of Occidental Caribe

Occidental Caribe
Ranked #60 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed October 30, 2013

we have visited this resort april 19-26, was our 1st time travelling to Dominican Republic, so we choose punta cana since everyone says that this is the place to go. have been to cuba many times and wanted a change and we werent disappointed one bit!
I was travelling with my 2 teenage sons, so I was looking for a place they would enjoy and wouldnt get bored.I bought this at the last minute at got a really good deal.

Rooms: they were great, big,clean,clean bathrooms(even had facecloths) we were close to the beach and the activity pool which was nice, second floor with a balcony.

beach: beautiful,lovely,clean,even had garbage cans and recycling right on the beach, even had a life guard. only thing is that sometimes outsiders come to bother you to buy stuff or visit places, just say no to them and they will go away.

pools: 2 huge pools, activity pool and quiet pool. we spent most of our time at the activity pool,always had games and music. we went to the quiet pool a couple of times just to relax

activities: you never had to worry about enternaiment cause their were always something going on. beer contest,fruit carving, water sports even a beach party one night which was so awesome. they have a trampoline and a rock climbing for the kids.games room which my sons spend alot of time it was open 24hrs had pool tables,ping pong tables, arcade games.

food: the buffet was really good and so was the a la carte restaurants,they have a pizzeria too

service: was pretty good, only thing was that we arrived at 12;30pm and werent able to get our room till 4pm, but besides that it was good

all in all this is a great hotel, lots of things to do, lots of bars open most of the night, theatre was awesome and their bar was open till 5am, even had a discotheque in the hotel, my son really enjoyed this, he also enjoyed the sports bar, their was also music playing in the lobby everynight and it was music that we listen too so was nice.

couple pointers....they use U.S dollars, so the stores on site were very expensive, make sure to go to the meeting with the rep from your flight they give you alot of pointers for your stay.
locals come twice a week to sell things and they can be real pests and dont like you to say no so becareful and they sell expensive too. we flew with air transat and had the best flight ever and what great about going here is that you have no tax at the airport to pay, what else was cool was their airport in punta cana they have all kinds of restaurants from home over there, nice way to finish your vacation.

so far this has been our best trip ever,this is a great hotel, the only little thing about it is I wish it wouldnt be so expensive but I guess its cause its punta cana and I guess you pay more when something is really great.. have nothing bad to say about this hotel really:)...and we are foresure going back, I had planned to go back in november with my teenage daughters but ended up going to cuba in october so now our next trip is a family trip at the end of April to the Barcelo in Punta Cana and I just can wait for my family to live this experience!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Christine C
barcelopc, Manager at Occidental Caribe, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Dear Christine,
The nice notes like the one you kindly posted on the Trip Advisor webpage are very appreciated by us. Thank you for taking some time to express your impressions during your stay at the Barceló Punta Cana. It was delightful for all our staff to read that you appreciate the service of all of them and the facilities at the resort. Your comments encourage us to continue improving our services.
Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to be able to welcome you back.
Warmest Regards

There are newer reviews for Occidental Caribe

Reviewed October 30, 2013

Hi, my name is JOSE ROSARIO CACERES, I stayed with my family in Barcelo Punta Cana (carretera Macao) this past weekend (10/25/13-10/29/13).
My experience in this resort wasn't very good. My nacionality is dominican, and I felt many employees treat dominican people not with the same quality and friendlyness as they do with people with other nationalities like american and european ones.

I noticed it when doing reservation for a night restaurant, ahead of us, in the line, there was a group of guests from europe, and the employee treated them very gently, but when we got our turn for reservation, she was kind of rude with my wife, inmediately we noticed her actitud change in the way she answered to our request.
The same happend to me personally the second day at the buffet, in lunch time, there was a wrong sign on the auyamas food (auyama is the name for a food plate from my country), of course I recognize the auyama when I see it, because I'm dominican, but the sign said: POLENTA. I was confused because I don't know what POLENTA is, and when I asked one of the waiter if the food was POLENTA or auyama, he answerd in a sarcastic way: Aren't you dominican? Don't you see that's auyama?. I felt embarrased, because I was confused with the sign that said another name.
Of course, not all employees were rude, specially the operator (DULCE), she was the kindest person in the hotel, and one of the waiters, (HERIBERTO BELTRAN), he does a magnific labor and is a very gentle and friendly server. I must mention also, a nice lady who organized and cleaned our room (MILADYS MERAN), she treated me with respect and was very helpful with my baby's necesities (my daughter is 15 months old).
The hotel must have more employees like these ones mentioned before.

Please, treat our dominican people with more respect and dignity, we are humans beings also like american and european people and work hard in foreign countries too. My family and I were very tired and needed a break in our routine, and I chose your hotel to relax, but really, I'm disapointed with the experience.

Room Tip: Don't take a room on the third or second floor over the buffet place. It's noisy.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank martinrosario11

Dear Martin,
Thank you for choosing Barcelo Punta Cana for your holidays. In the name of our entire staff, we want to thank you for taking time to share your review with other travelers.
We take all guest feedback very seriously because we want improve with you, and we're constantly changing all aspects of our service and facilities. Thank you to give us your honest point of view about our property and services. On behalf of the entire Barcelo Punta Cana staff, please accept our apologize for any discomfort you may have encountered.
We thank you for your feedback. It helps us to improve our standards of service.
Please feel free to contact us, in case you decide to visit us again.
Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed October 27, 2013

Room not ready until 4pm ,we picked the premium club suite and were able to go to the premium lounge to wait . Food was good service was good. Rosa Ramirez at the club premium took care of all our wants and any problems we had " we did not speak Spanish and when we could not understand she would help". For the extra $s the club premium is well worth it, all in all we had a good vacation week.

Room Tip: You have to ask for washcloths they will change them every day. Ask for rooms facing the ocean.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank James C

Dear James
Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at the Barcelo Punta Cana. Thank you for choosing Barcelo Punta Cana for your holidays and for the time you spent sharing your review with other travelers on Tripadvisor.com.
We are happy to read that your recent stay at our resort was overall what you expected and we thank you for your valuable comments.
Be sure that all supervisors have been informed about the recommendations that you have highlighted and we are already fine tuning our hotel operation accordingly.
Thanks again and will be a pleasure to have you back.
Sincerely yours,

Reviewed October 23, 2013

The vendors are theives. Do NOT buy from them. Take your own washcloths (the hotel has none). Take your own body lotion....they will give you a shoe horn though. Not all of the specialty restaurants will be open during your stay....2 were closed during ours and the pizzeria never opened although according to staff if was supposed to. The rock climbing didnt appear to be open much either so we never caught it. ALL the jacuzzis are COLD, even the one that you pay to use in the spa. (they told us it would be hot). The food is mostly bland, the "sushi" was intollerable but the teppanyaki was fine. The nightly shows are good but never started on time. The disco only plays spanish music (no international mix). After the hoards of locals on weekend passes left, the pool and surroundings were not properly cleaned. Even on a quiet day, there was no proper service in the buffet (tables left uncleared, no settings, no tea / cups etc)

Room Tip: The rooms located above the main dining hall are noisey and the food smells waft in.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Donna-Maria
Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at Barcelo Punta Cana.
We greatly appreciate that you have chosen one of our Barcelo Resorts as your holiday destination.
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at our Hotel. We greatly appreciate your feedback as it enables us to continue improving and providing our service for our guests.
Please feel sure that your observations are taking into great consideration for their analysis, in order to verify the points you mentioned.
We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at Barcelo Punta Cana to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities and change any negative perception you may have about us
Kind regards

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Nice day dear visitors,
We would like to leave our review of visit hotel Barceló punta cana.
We would like to say many thanks the employee of hotel Barceló punta cana, for great reception and meeting us in this beautiful place. It was a great trip with a lot of amazing colorful expression. Especially we would like to said many thanks Nancy Mercedes and Claudia Bayes , they works in restrain, they also helps us and charge us good mood for all our trip =)
it's a wonderful place and we would like to recommend you to visit this charming heaven island for relax and enjoy this trip =)
Kind regards from ,
Sergey and Natalia Brykin ;)

Room Tip: we recommend to visit this beautiful place 😃
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sergey B

Dear Sergey and Natalia
Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at the Barcelo Punta Cana.
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate all feedback.
We also are very pleased you enjoyed the all-inclusive program which includes a wide range of delicious food and beverage and the different activities.
It is an honor to know that our staff is providing our guests with the natural warm and hospitality that characterize the Dominican people. Please be assured that your nice comments will be forward to our staff. They will be delighted to know that they are making a difference in each guest experience.
We thank you for taking your time sharing your opinion with us which we will take in the highest consideration.
Looking forward to welcoming you once again!
Best regards,

Reviewed October 19, 2013

I returned from this resort yesterday...My advice....look for other hotels. If you go to this hotel expecting more than average, then you will be disappointed. I got to the hotel around 2pm to find out our room would not be ready until after 4pm...I had to walk around for 2 hours with my backpack in the 90 degree weather. They already had our dinner reservations made, which was nice, but it was very hard to change reservation times ie: for excursions, etc. I had to change my reservation THREE days before I was planned to eat at the restaurant and i had to eat at 9:30pm.

Pros:
-The beach is gorgeous...thats the only thing Punta Cana has going for it. Very tropical and the sand feels like sugar.

-Dinner is the best meal of the day. Word of advice: There is NO air conditioning in any of the restaurants. We were so hot in all of the restaurants it was slightly unbearable. I spent more time in my room since it had a/c on this trip than any others in the past.

- You can eat dinner on the beach (reservation only and it is 35 dollars a person, but is pretty

- Ask for a room in buildings 1-4. You will be close to everything and the rooms are newer

Cons:
-The staff at this hotel are not very friendly. They expect tips but do not give much in return. (Our maid was nice and did a good job.)

-The size of this resort. It is too large. I felt like i was at Disney World

- Food options. Breakfast is tolerable...lunch is awful. The buffet is disgusting..The food hardly looks edible and there are bugs/flies on a lot of the food. At least at breakfast you can order an omlet. The only other option you have besides the buffet is the hamburger stand.

-Only late night food option is a small buffet (4 snack options)..the website says there is a pizzeria and a burger stand (burger stand that is supposed to stay open until the early morning.) this is FALSE. The burger stand closes before dinner.

- You only get 1 towel per day for the pool/beach

My advice: if you already booked at this hotel - plan to do as many excursions as possible. The resort is mediocre. We did two excursions- zip lining and the Saona island. Both very good and I would recommend them.

Overall...I would rate this resort a 3.1. I left the resort feeling sick from the food and the heat. The island itself is gorgeous.....maybe we would of had a more positive experience at another resort...

Room Tip: Ask for buildings 1-4
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Mookie,
We would like to extend our most sincere apologies for any inconveniences or difficulties you may have experienced during your stay.
Concerning your comments about the quality of our food, we would like to point out that our menus are composed by carefully selected products, and done taking into consideration the diversity of our guests. Indeed, our satisfaction’s questionnaires always reflect high punctuations. Your observations are taking into great consideration and have been shared with the Executive Chef of our Resort for their analysis.
We are very so sad to read that we couldn’t fill your expectations regarding our hotel. We always try to keep our quality service, in order to satisfy the needs and expectations of all our guests.
We take all guest feedback very seriously; therefore we appreciate all your comments and will ensure that those are worked on.
We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at any of our Hotels, and that way be able to change any negative perception you may have about us.
Kind regards,

Reviewed October 18, 2013

By far this was a vacation to remember... I just spent 5days/4nights at this simply lovely resort with 16 of my family and friends. Not only did we enjoy rooms that were either suites or oceanfront views, but we also enjoyed the VIP Club Premium service provided by ROSA, YESCIA & MAGNOLIA. We had the pleasure of meeting, the rooms Director ALEXANDER, and the rest of the staff were also very friendly (wonderful people and outstanding service). Rosa, Yescia, Magnolia and Alexander made my birthday celebration absolutely beautiful in the restaurant and in my room, which was decorated with rose petals and balloons. All I can say is I will be BACK to this great island and wonderful resort in the near future.
Thank you again for a GREAT EXPERIENCE....LOVE, HUGS AND KISSES.....A. Burton

Room Tip: Get the VIP package and let Rosa, Yescia & Magnolia take care of everything for you You wont be...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jeddah09

Dear A. Burton,
Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at the Barcelo Punta Cana.
We do not know how to thank you for this kind of comments. Posts such as yours delight us and gives us confidence to keep working hard to satisfy our customers and improve our service.
Please allow us to reassure that we are extremely proud to have provided you a great time, which reflects the commitment and quality of service we have exhibited through the years.
We are looking forward to welcoming you once again and continue providing the most unforgettable experiences.
Best regards,

#85 of 112 in Punta Cana
Grand Bahia Principe Turquesa
Grand Bahia Principe Turquesa
#63 of 112 in Punta Cana

Been to Occidental Caribe? Share your experiences!