“THE WORST EVER”
Review of Occidental Caribe

Occidental Caribe
Ranked #61 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I stayed at this resort last Feb. for two weeks.It was the worst i have stayed at, the bathrooms where old and dirty the rooms old and falling apart. The breach was great the food ok.This year are staying at Grand Bhahia will not go back to this one ever again.There was a lot of other people we meet there that said the same place so try someplace else for your money.

Room Tip: stay in the new part 1to3
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bucky S
barcelopc, Manager at Occidental Caribe, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Dear Bucky,
Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at the Barcelo Punta Cana.
Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor.
We would like to extend our most sincere apologies for any inconveniences or difficulties you may have experienced during your stay.
We hope you will be willing to give us the opportunity to welcome you once again to demonstrate you the commitment and quality of service we have exhibited through the years, and that way be able to change any negative perception you may have.
Kind regards,
Sandy Pfeil

Write a ReviewReviews (9,458)

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Spent 1 week at this great hotel, we had a club premium suite which was very spacey and well equiped great bathrooms. Great view of the pool and ocean. Set in stunning well maintained gardens. The staff at the hotel very very friendly and helpful one in particular Jessica in the club lounge very attentive always delivering excellent customer service. Great choice of themed resturants with great food. The buffet resturant had ample choices of good food.
The 2 large pools were very clean and well maintained 1 with a great swim up to bar stocked with ample choice of drinks. Would recommend this hotel to everyone.

Room Tip: Pay for a premium club room well worth the money.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CLADE

Dear Clade,
Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at the Barcelo Punta Cana.
We do not know how to thank you for this kind of comments. Posts such as yours delight us and gives us confidence to keep working hard to satisfy our customers and improve our service.
Please allow us to reassure that we are extremely proud to have provided you a great time, which reflects the commitment and quality of service we have exhibited through the years.
We are looking forward to welcoming you once again and continue providing the most unforgettable experiences.
Best regards,

Reviewed October 6, 2013

I would highly recommend this resort to anyone visiting the Dominican Republic. The hotel and the pools are absolutely beautiful. The lounge chairs in the pool are awesome!!! The night time entertainment was great. Bartenders were great, restaurants were great - there was a very nice variety of restaurants to choose from. There was such a variety of food there even picky eaters could find something to eat - like two of my kids. The hotel staff was incredible! We lost one of our children's passports the last day we were there and the hotel manager and staff took extremely good care of us!! They called the airport looking for our missing passport, and when we realized we were going to have to get a temporary passport, the hotel manager made our travel arrangements for us and told us exactly what to do and put us in touch with the necessary people to obtain the passport. Extremely pleased with the resort and would recommend it to everyone!!.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with a family with children, maybe ask to be on the side of the hotel in front...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Janet F
barcelopc, Manager at Occidental Caribe, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Dear Janet,
We would like to thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us, being of the utmost importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.
Let me express my gratitude for writing your impressions in this website and to share them with other guests.
We feel glad to read that you have left the hotel feeling totally invigorated. Thank you for highlighting our strengths. It is important for us to know that our staff’s efforts are appreciated by our guests.
We all hope to see you again soon.
Kind regards

Reviewed September 28, 2013

For the price compared to other Punta Cana Resorts, gives the place a plus. The grounds of this place pretty decent and beach is great. This place just needs a management overhaul. When service is bad, I tend to blame management. Employees will do whatever they are allowed to get away with.
When we first got to our room, I noticed that the English pages of the directory were torn out. The directory looked as if it had aged. Those things should be renewed at least every six months. I went to front desk to get another one. I was told by the clerk that the did not have any at the desk. Ah, how about getting me one from an empty room. The place is not very crowded during the week. She wanted to blow me off.. I could tell by her mannerism, but I eventually got one.
I paid for and got an oceanview room. WORD OF ADVICE! Do not get a room in the center of the resort above the buffet restaurant which is in open area, just outside room doors. You would have thought they clean dishes for the whole town! The clanged and washed dishes LOUDLY until 3am!
Had a reservation for the French themed restaurant. Once seated, waited about 15 minutes before we were approached, even for water. Not all servers were bad at the restaurants but enough were.

I went and used the Internet cafe. I had to print something and paid for the use. When I printed my info, the middle portion of the page was blank. No problem, new ink cartridges right? Yes, only here they did not have an replacement ink cartridge at an Internet cafe. I was sol and paid for it.

Positives: the variety shows were great. They entertainers put a lot of effort in their show. Female singer has a beautiful voice. Grounds are really nice. If you have an oceanview room, try purchasing one of those temporary sliding door screens from a hardware store before you come. I would have loved to fall asleep by the sound of the ocean, but if you know the Dominican, the Mosquitos are deadly. No screens on these doors.

Room Tip: WORD OF ADVICE! Do not get a room in the center of the resort above the buffet restaurant which is i...
3  Thank Rodney S

Dear Rodney,
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Barcelo Punta Cana at Tripadvisor.
We are very so sad to read that we couldn’t fill your expectations regarding our hotel. We always try to keep our quality service, in order to satisfy the needs and expectations of all our guests.
We take all guest feedback very seriously; therefore we appreciate all your comments and will ensure that those are worked on.
Thank you to give us your honest point of view about our hotel and also the positive observations. On behalf of the entire Barcelo Punta Cana staff, please accept our apologize.
Kind regards

Reviewed September 21, 2013

We just spent 1 week at this wonderful hotel. The place was absolutely beautiful. Our suite was well equipped and had the most stunning view of the pool and ocean.The staff was wonderful and friendly.We can't wait to go back. The grounds are stunning. This is the best beach in Punta Cana.

10  Thank DuchessBetty
barcelopc, Manager at Occidental Caribe, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Dear Betty,
In the name our entire team we would like to thank you for choosing Barceló Punta Cana for your holidays and for taking the time to write a review about your experience.
We feel through your words that we improve every day our service valuated through our quality system service, supported by the excellent job of our team members who try to do the best work, with a warm smile and an outstanding service. It would be great if you join us once again. In that case, please do not hesitate to contact us in advance to try satisfying any request you may have.
Sincerely

Reviewed September 19, 2013

The hotel was pretty good, what I did not like was that it took us 1 1/2 hours to check in due to the front desk being short staffed. I would recomend this hotel the room, pool and restaurants was really nice no complaints.

2  Thank Dominigirl79

Dear Guest,
It's a pleasure to know that you had a good time with us in general and you will keep a good memory of Punta Cana and our Hotel.
Yours sincerely,

Reviewed September 18, 2013

We were at this resort from August 23-30, 2013. We are a family of 4 of me, my husband and children that are 7 and 3 years old. We assumed that the reason there was hardly anyone at the resort is because it was hurricane season and most people may have avoided coming to the Caribbean in general due to the extreme hurricane conditions over the past few years during this time period.

The relatively few people, the beautiful beach and the pools including the kids water slide area, were the best part of the vacation. By 'relatively few' I mean there were just enough people that the place felt exclusive (but with enough people to not feel like a ghost town), and we never had to worry about line-ups, over-crowdedness or ever getting a chair by the pool or on the beach. So that was nice.

However, the first room that was given to us was really poor. We had asked for a king-sized bed (we promised our young children that they could sleep with us while we were on vacation) and got two double/queen beds. If that, the broken drawer, fuzzy tv, broken alarm clock, broken phone, broken light over the bar fridge and outdated decor was it, I actually would have been okay with it. However, I had to complain and insist on a different room when we discovered what appeared to be blood stains throughout the room - there were 2 dried dark-redish spots on the floor between the beds, which were obvious to me, but which I had to point out to the maid before it was finally scrubbed off. The beds were lumpy, and I discovered that the mattresses were on top of some approximately 2 inch fabric mattress covers, so I thought I would take these covers out and put them on top of the mattress. But then I discovered maybe why the mattress covers were under the mattress rather than on top. Yes, there were a couple of red splotches on them as well. The outside corners of one of the lamp shades had a few cm's of creeping orangey-red, which wasn't so bad until you looked UNDER the lampshade where it looked like a small animal might have exploded. My 3-year old was curious about it and kept wanting to touch it. I had complained about it to the hotel staff who called to inquire about how well we liked the room, and although they were friendly, and promised to do something, never actually did anything. We only got some action when I went to the front desk.

So anyway, considering that the resort was far from packed, perhaps the management could consider putting everyone in nicer rooms than ones which may have been crime scenes.

We were subsequently moved to a room situated in a more central location, where the decor looked like it may have been from the 90's, in comparison to our original room, which had 70's-early 80's influences. None of the furniture was broken, the tv was actually worse, but the view was better, looking out onto the pool and other gathering areas. The phone in this room actually worked, but blinked all the time which was a little annoying, but all in all the room was more acceptable than the original, literally bloody, room. We also got to keep our promise to the kids with a king-sized bed and bonus, it was not lumpy.

Quick comments on other aspects of this resort:

Service: Friendly overall, except for two possibly racist or sexist waiters in the main dining room. One of them I only saw there once - a Hispanic or Caucasian younger (late twenties?) guy and a dark-skinned also young-ish woman, on separate occasions, who didn't verbally say anything bad (or at least anything I could understand) but who totally ignored me all the time to serve other tables with white patrons. I look south-east or east Asian. I suppose with the number of waiters, the ratio of ones with possible 'isms' is small, but being treated badly occasionally is still not acceptable regardless of whether one is on vacation or not. Seriously.

Value: Big props on that and possibly why I was tolerant of many things that I suspect many people would have freaked out on. We paid about $1100 per adult, which included about $360 taxes each, and a little over $600 for each of the kids, including the same amount in taxes charged to the adults (i.e., about $360 each). So the whole thing cost the 4 of us about $3500 including return airfare on Air Transat, all inclusive food and drink. Again, think hurricane season. And of course we bought cancellation insurance, which was less than $100 each. It was hurricane season after all.

Sleep quality: It was noisier at our new location, but we can sleep through a lot of noise and it actually wasn't that noisy (read: resort slow season). The original bed was lumpy and gave my husband with lower back pain reason for grumpiness.

Cleanliness: Other than the blood stains, the rooms were generally clean. The maids may mop, etc., but unless stains are pointed out to them, they don't look very carefully to clean off tough to clean stains (like the crusty blood on the floor).

Location: Next to the coral sand beach. No need to say more.

Food: Lots of it and lots of variety at the buffet, if not lots of variety in between days. Acceptable, but not outstanding. Like, it's probably hard for the islanders of a poor nation to get very fresh food, like we're used to in Canada. So although the food didn't smell bad and it was not rotting, it was not fresh like it is here. For example, the broccoli was yellow when they had it. They tended to overcook everything. The bacon was too crisp, some of it was burnt. etc. But for the most part, if you're not a restaurant critic, the food is good.

Oh, but one other thing - my husband, me and the baby got the runs. But my 7-year-old didn't. We couldn't figure it out for a while, but my husband finally put two and two together and it was probably the salads. Which we suspect they may have washed with tap water. My 7-year old didn't have any of the salad at any time we were there, and also did not get the runs.

Spa: We did check out the outdoor hot tubs, if not any of the indoor 'spa' activities. It's 4-5 hot tubs. Nothing more to say.

Overall, it was okay. I am also attractive to insects, and I'm sure there were many different types there as my 20 bug bites ranged in size and duration of itchiness. If you have a problem with bugs, you should probably avoid the Dominican. Here are the facts that I've experienced:
1) My husband and son did not have a problem with bites, and my daughter had about a third fewer than I did
2) I had the same problem with insect bites when I visited the Dominican before
3) I did not have this bug bite problem on the occasions that I've been to Cuba or during my many cruises in the Caribbean.
4) I do not wear perfume.
5) I also get bitten alot when camping (as opposed to my husband, who may get the occasional bite).

The beach was beautiful, but the tide was rough, which is kind of expected (hurricane season). It was mostly sunny when we were there and only rained a few times and these were at night or very early morning. Came back darker and peeling. So good vacation.

The resort? If you go with high expectations, you will be disappointed. If you go with low, you will be pleasantly surprised. A solid nothing. My ratings for individual qualities is more reflective about the place than my overall rating.

Room Tip: Try to choose a room located at the centre of the resort - the lower the building number (1-4) the b...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Grace W

Dear Grace,
First of all thank you for having chosen Barceló Punta Cana as your holiday destination.
We want you to know, that your opinion is very important and valuable to us. For this reason, your comments are taken with special consideration as they help us identifying our improvement areas, giving us the opportunity to correct them, and thus achieve to offer our guests a service of the highest quality.
We look forward to welcoming you on a future occasion, in this way show our commitment for service and customer satisfaction, and quality assurance stamp of our family Barceló Hotels & Resorts.
Sincerely