“Perfect!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Occidental Caribe
Ranked #61 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
“Perfect!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

We checked in on Monday August 12th. It was a wonderful experience. We were a group of 9 all family members. We loved the service we received although there was an inconvienience Maria Rosale(the receptionist supervisor) was there to resolve the problem. She was very nice, kind and professional. She changed our rooms and sent fruits and a couple of gifts to our room. I really cant wait to go back to Barcelo Punta Cana. Planning next trip for 2014. The food is very good although being Dominican i asked for more dominican food. The entertainment was very good. They were all very nice and made you feel blike they've known you. Also, bar tenders were super nice and made me and my husband laugh all the time. I will give a 10 to this place.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
barcelopc, Manager at Occidental Caribe, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear Shiare,
Dear Guest,
Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at the Barcelo Punta Cana.
We do not know how to thank you for this kind of comments. Posts such as yours delight us and gives us confidence to keep working hard to satisfy our customers and improve our service.
Please allow us to reassure that we are extremely proud to have provided you a great time, which reflects the commitment and quality of service we have exhibited through the years.
We are looking forward to welcoming you once again and continue providing the most unforgettable experiences.
Best regards,
Sandy Pfeil

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,180)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

Ok so I just got back from this resort yesterday and I was a little worried after reading all the bad reviews.

1. I went with a group of 4 other girls, plus myself. We aged from 18-23.
One of the biggest things I can advise is to make sure you get there Monday-Thursday. A lot of the reviews said it took 2 hours for check in. We arrived on a Monday afternoon and it took us all of 10 minutes to check in. When the weekend arrived with all the locals (see #2), we understood what people were saying about it taking a long time to check in.

2. On the weekends, they give local Dominicans cheap rates and they come and literally take over the place. While some of the locals we met were really cool, most were extremely creepy men who just stared at us, a group of 5 girls, and it made us uncomfortable. Also the buffet lines got long and the pool got way to full. But this only was for 2 days and the other days were great. We met some really cool people from all over the US and some from the UK. People in general are really nice.

3. The staff are all, for the most part, extremely helpful and really nice. The only issue I think we ever had was that one day our room wasn't cleaned and I had to call the front desk twice to ask them to send somebody. We went to dinner and when we came back the room was clean. The next day front desk called to make sure our room was cleaned, so that was nice. THe toilet clogged 2-3 times, and we had to call more than once to get that fixed, but front desk would call us back every time to make sure somebody actually did it.

4. We were all from California,and all took quite a bit of Spanish in school so communicating with the staff wasn't too much of a pain. For some of the reviewers who complained that they don't speak English, that's on them. You're going to a foreign county, take the time to learn a little of the local language, it'll get you a long way.

5. Food is probably one of the reasons this place gets only an average review from me. While the variety was quite great, the quality wasn't so much. The buffet had very average food, and many times we only ended up eating some boiled vegetables or fruit because nothing else quite appealed to us. We were warned beforehand not to eat any raw vegetables, so the two stations of different salads were always skipped. The pasta station was ok, I'm not a big pasta person. The pizzaria by the pool was a huge saving grace especially at lunch time. I'm not a big fan of breakfast and while there was quite a variety of food, none of it was appealing to us. Dinner at the restaurants was pretty good. The Dominican food was good, however there were bugs in the bread so we sent that back. The Mexican TexMex was also ok. Again, we're from California so we're spoiled when it comes to Mexican food. The best dinner we had was at the Tokio restaurant for Japanese hibachi. It was really really good.

6. We did 3 excursions and I highly recommend them all. Snorkeling, zip lining and the banana boat. Snorkeling was $60, ziplining was $90 (totally worth it) and the banana boat was $14. They're very easy to book and the people helping with excursions really know what they're talking about. Listen to them.

7. The location is fabulous. Seriously one of the best beaches I've ever been to. The pools were great. The bars were great. We highly recommend the sports bar. Not too many people knew about it so it was always just our group and the room has 3 pool tables and is fully air conditioned. We met so many amazing people and bartenders there. Ask for Francisco to make your drinks, he's the best bartender ever! Ask for a Bob Marley shot!

8. The wifi, SUCKS. Seriously, it only works in certain areas and is ridiculously expensive. $50 for the whole week and it only worked in like 2 places. We had to get it to stay in touch with our parents, but if it weren't for that, we probably would not have done it.

9. Overall, the experience was fun. We had a lot of mosquito bites, bug repellent doesn't help much. So that was a huge bummer. The package deal we did with expedia had us flying airtran, which also sucked. All in all, I'd love to visit the DR again, but I'd probably be willing to pay a bit more and go somewhere nicer. But for what we paid and what we got, we really can't complain :D

Room Tip: Ask for a room that's not close to the theater. Every night from like 6-10, really loud merengue...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank AnneBerry
barcelopc, Manager at Occidental Caribe, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear Anne,
We would like to express our gratitude for sharing your impressions and suggestions of your recent stay with us. I am very proud to have received your comments, informing us that you enjoyed your stay at our resort and that you appreciated the friendliness of our staff; we are aware that it is only because of them that we are able to achieve our goal- the continuous improvement of our services.
We thank you for taking the time to bring your concerns regarding the food and the WIFI to our attention. It is through communications of this nature that we are given an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from our resort.
We hope that your perception of Barcelo Punta Cana was not tarnished due to this experience. We sincerely hope that we will once again be given the opportunity to prove to you our commitment to excellent customer service and satisfaction.
Your respectfully,
Trinidad
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

This was our first time to an all inclusive resort as well the Dominican Republic. I must admit after reading some thee reviews posted I was very worried . I travelled with my husband and seven year old son . We had a great time ! Punta Cana is so beautiful and the warmth of the people make it so much better .
Our room was fine ,clean and spacious enough for the three of us .We had a room in building seven,it was very quiet there . We didn't have a beach view from our balcony but that wasn't an issue . We didn't go to stay in our room.
If we wanted the beach we just went down and got a a nice lounge chair in front of It!
Our room was cleaned everyday and our minifridge was always restocked .

The food was fantastic .There was always enough variety and plenty to eat . My favourite was the pasta bar where you choose your ingredients and pasta type and they make it fresh for you .Additiionally, the omlet station at breakfast was also a big favourite with my family .

We our dinner reservations at the a la carte were prebooked by our travel agency.this was a plus for us safed us time in having to go make a booking on a daily basis. We had dinner at the Dominican restaurant and the Mexican tex mex . The dinner there was really good .

The pools were nice . My son had a blast at the kids pool . We also liked the fat that the other pools were not deep which made it great for lounging and safe for everyone .

The general sorroundings were always clean . However, the elevator to building seven always had a musty smell . This is something they can work on .

The staff was always pleasant and even though they spoke Spanish they always tried to assist. For those who made this an issue I would just like to say that it doesn't take much out of you to learn a few words and phrases in Spanish .The same way they tried to understand us I think we should make the same effort to understand them .These people work very hard to make our vacations special and I honestly think they do great job .

I would certainly recommend this hotel . I would definitely return .

Thank you Barceló !

Room Tip: Building seven is very quiet . always remember to leave your sign on the door to have your room cle...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank emmemang
barcelopc, Manager at Occidental Caribe, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Guest,
It is nice to read that you had a great family vacation and to see that you acknowledge the service received.
We appreciate the observation regarding the elevator.
We hope to welcome you in any of our Barcelo Hotels & Resorts where we are recognized for our commitment to excellence customer service.
Warm regards,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

Excellent place, planing our new vacation for 2014. Delicious food, great service. Punta Cana is the place to visit.while you at the Dominican Republic don't forget to visit the basilica de higuey. Excellent place sanctuary where you can go and give thanks for the great things of life. Punta Cana dominican Republic is the place to be. The Dominican Republic is the best island of the Caribbean

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Rosamu
barcelopc, Manager at Occidental Caribe, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Rosa,
We thank you for trusting in Barceló Punta Cana for your holidays and for sharing your experience with the online community and give us your feedback.
We really appreciate all your wonderful comments regarding to our resort. We are very pleased to know you enjoyed all services in our resort. For us it is very important to know, what experience our guests have during their stay with us. Thanks for choosing us as a destination for your stay.
We remain at your entire disposition for any assistance you might need before your next visit.
As with any business like ours, the greatest advertising we can have is word of mouth from a satisfied customer. It’s our goal to retain you as a satisfied customer and will hope to serve you again in the future.
Warm regards,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel, I recommend if you will like to relax, great food ,pool and beatiful beach. The people are friendly and kind. Make me feel every special
I recommend this places if you like to getaway and relax.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
barcelopc, Manager at Occidental Caribe, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Rosa,
The nice notes like the one you kindly posted on the Trip Advisor webpage are very appreciated by us. Thank you for taking some time to express your impressions during your stay at the Barcelo Punta Cana. It was delightful for all our staff to read that you appreciate the service of all of them and the facilities at the resort. Your comments encourage us to continue improving our services.
Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to be able to welcome you back.
Warmest Regards
woodbrdige nj
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

Very Bad Room with leak over your head , safe was not working inside the room lost money was in my shirt inside the room, house keeping bad , no towels or pillow case. bed smell bad . food is very bad .. even the phone service is bad too .. I do not advice anyone to go there

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Mai A
Dear Mai,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel.
We really appreciate your comments, we have taken note and we will consider it to help us to continue to improve our services. Our main goal is to serve all our guests with the highest level of service and satisfaction to which we assure you return stay.
We would like to extend our most sincere apologies for any inconveniences or difficulties you may have experienced during your stay.
We will be very glad if you give us the opportunity to host you again in the near future!
Please feel free to contact myself directly if you are travelling to Punta Cana again so it will be a pleasure for us to have you as our guest again. We will work to make you enjoy your vacations.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

This hotel was everything I could ask for, the people and staff were amazing and helpful. There was 10 in total that came on this family vacation and it was incredible. The beach was amazing and the atmosphere was awesome. I would stay here again without hestitation as I know any of the company I went with would as well.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank sheilafaubert
Dear Sheila,
Warm Greetings and thanks for choosing Barceló Punta Cana for your holidays and for sharing your experience at Tripadvisor. It was a pleasure to have you with us, Thanks for taking time to value and rate our product and services. We are happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.
With best regards,