“Pat and Jackie Dublin”

Ranked #65 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
Dublin, Ireland
“Pat and Jackie Dublin”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We just returned to Dublin after spending the most fantastic two weeks at the Barcelo hotel. We can honestly say it was the best holiday we ever had from the time we checked in until the time we left. Sandy (manager) and all her lovely staff were so welcoming and the treatment we got was very high standard. This was our second time to visit this hotel and it gets better.The restaurants are very high standard, and our favourite was the Mirador . The weather was lovely, the beach is what you imagine the caribbean to be. We can see ourselves returning here again in the near future. Its great value for money and a dollar tip goes a long way, would definately recommend this hotel for all ages. My thanks to Sandy and the hard working friendly staff who made this a fantastic holiday.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jackie B
barcelopc, Manager at Occidental Caribe, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Patrick & Jackie,
We appreciate the time you invested in writing a review of your recent stay and on behalf the entire team at Barcelo Punta Cana we would like to express our gratitude for the kind words you have submitted about us. Also, we would like to sincerely thank you for acknowledging so many positive elements experienced during your vacations. Please rest assured that we will share your comments with the rest of the team.
We are proud in creating memories that last a lifetime, give unforgettable experiences to our guests and pleased to see that we have reached our goal.
You can be assured that we look forward to welcoming you “back home” where your Dominican family awaits you.
Best Regards
Sandy Pfeil

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,248)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed June 9, 2013

My wife stayed at the Barcelo for our honeymoon. We had a tough time finding a place that we wanted to stay. The main reason that we chose the Barcelo was that they had a package that included airfare and so we were sold. The resort is quite a drive from the Punta Cana airport. When we arrived we were checked in very quickly by a friendly front desk representative and were on our way to our room. Much to my dismay we were assigned a room that had a terrible view and we weren't able to see the ocean but instead we saw some jungle and a service road that was used for deliveries. The room was clean and comfortable but it didn't cool down that much and I had a tough time sleeping after a long day at the beach and pool. We had a nice mini fridge in the room in which we could store drinks that we purchased.

The pool and beach area were wonderful, so long as you didn't wander off the part of the beach that belonged to the resort. We made the mistake of wandering too far and as soon as we neared another property we were bombarded by locals trying to get us to tour their resort. They would even chase after us after we said no. We eventually gave up and just stayed around the beach in front of the resort. There was always a place for us to sit and nobody was fighting over lounge chairs like I've seen at other resorts. We would walk down to the pool around 8 or 9 and claim our spots with towels and then go to breakfast.

The food at the resort was amazing for it being an all-inclusive resort. They did an excellent job of representing all of the different cultures that visit the resort. We could eat American food, Mexican, European or Asian cuisine. They even had sit down restaurants that had awesome food but those places required a reservation which wasn't had to get. We only ate at the Italian Restaurant and enjoyed it quite a lot.

My one disappointment was the lack of internet access. They had a pay service that you could use but it only allowed 1 of you access at a time. So my wife and I had to alternate using our devices to talk with family back home. In today's age I figured most high end resorts would have better access to internet, not this location.

We mainly went down for a nice relaxing honeymoon away from the cold winter that had claimed Michigan. We got exactly what we wanted. The weather was wonderful, hot but not humid and sun almost every day we were there. There was plenty of adult beverages and wonderful food and we left happy and relaxed. I would book again if nothing else was available but I would first try some of the other resorts in the area before booking back at the Barcelo.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that faces the water and not the service road.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank rampantfox
barcelopc, Manager at Occidental Caribe, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Guest,
We greatly appreciate that you have chosen Barcelo Punta Cana for your holidays and Honeymoon. It is through communications of this nature that our customers give us an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us. It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed a nice time with us, which reflects the commitment and quality of service we have exhibited through the years.
Thank you for taking the time of sharing your opinion with us which we will take in the highest consideration, especially your comment regarding the Internet accses.
Thank you for your comments and it would be a pleasure having you back as our guests!
Regards from Punta Cana!
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I stayed at the Barceló Punta Cana beginning of April 2013. Looked great when we pulled up but it went downhill from there. Check in line was terrible. Two people working behind the desk, no specific line, people cutting each other, took over an hour to check in and our room wasn't even ready.

Restaurants/Bars -- Food was ok, not the greatest. A lot of fried and greasy food, stale bread at the buffet. It was hard to find something really good to eat, although the fresh fruit was delicious. The reservation system for the restaurants is terrible. Nothing available everyday except for 9:30pm and you can only make reservations that same morning. Well, nothing is still available! Don't drink any water but bottled water from your room because even the bottled water provided to guests has ice in it. Alcoholic drinks were not that good. Ordered the same drink from 3 different bars and received 3 different drinks! NO consistency in the bartenders!!

Beach -- Beautiful! No other words to describe the beach. Best part of the vacation. The waves were big and water was too strong one of the days but overall it was beautiful!

Beach/Pool towels -- terrible system. They wouldn't give you a towel unless you had a senseless piece of paper that we were never given. Second day on the beach absolutely no beach towels after 3pm. We asked the girl and 3 times she said, "Come back in 25 minutes." She lied they never got any beach towels. Complained to guest services -- nothing was done.

Casino -- a joke. Very sketchy and half of the machines were broken and on the floor.

Theater -- Shows/entertainment were good.

Shopping -- Gift shops at the hotel were poor. Items were very expensive.

Rooms -- ok. First 2 nights were fine. Beautiful view. Clock didn't work, no ironing board. Shower was awful - there is only glass on 1/2 the shower so the entire bathroom is flooded. You get out and almost kill yourself on the floor because it's so slippery. And needless to say there are tiny bugs crawling all over the bathroom floor. Word of advice = where your sandals!!!
Worst of all -- the 3rd day we found a HUGE trail of ants from outside the room all along the wall next to one of the beds. Hotel sprayed for bugs while we were there and we almost died from the fumes. Come to find out we came back to our room later that day and found bugs ON ONE OF THE BEDS!! They were a different kind of bug that was on the floor earlier that day. Asked the maids to change our beds, they did, but still some bugs on the bed. They obviously didn't change the comforter. Asked to switch to another room. Guest services showed us 2 rooms first - one with 2 bugs on the comforter of one of the beds and the other room with no bugs in the bed but bugs and ants all over the floor and counters!!! Apparently this hotel sprayed for bugs -- maybe it wasn't the right chemical!!!

We ended up switching hotels by the end of the night. I was NOT sleeping in any of those beds. I'm not sure why no one else had a problem with this unless they just didn't see the bugs. Word of advice -- no matter where or what hotel you are in CHECK YOUR BED!

I would never stay at this resort again or recommend it to anyone else!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank KristenLynn23
Dear Kristen & Lynn,
First of all thank you for having chosen Barcelo Punta Cana as your holiday destination.
We look forward to welcoming you on a future occasion, in this way show our commitment for service and customer satisfaction, and quality assurance stamp of our family Barceló Hotels & Resorts.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I was at this property for a friend's wedding in April. The property is very nice and the beach is spectacular. The food was very good and the a la cartes were great, especially the Japanese restaurant. I paid about 1450 CDN for a single room which was nice to have although it was tucked away in one corner of the resort. On tripcentral I could have gone to a higher rated resort on a higher-end island (Bahamas, Barbados, Jamaica) for about the same, but I really did not have a choice as it was a destination wedding.

The biggest negative is the casino that is on the property. THIS IS A RIPOFF joint! I know that the Barcelo brand is fairly reputable but the operators of the casino (apparently it is not managed by Barcelo but rather by a subcontracted outfit) as simple thugs/con-artists. A friend of mine was scammed out of 1500 CDN on the a bingo type ball game located near the cashier cage. In addition, the cashier will not exchange chips to cash properly and will try to cheat you as they assume that you are a couple of drinks in. It is so sad that an otherwise wonderful vacation was ruined by these scam artists. I have gambled at casinos throughout the world and I understand that most Caribbean casinos have awful odds when compared to Vegas or even Canadian casinos, but I always expect that the dealers and staff are not stealing from me, this is not the case at this resort.

As much as Barcelo is not involved in the operation of this casino, I still hold them 100% responsible. After my vacation I noticed that a number of previous guests complained about this shady operation and Barcelo has done nothing to change this. Probably because it is such a huge money maker for them.

As I said before it is really unfortunate that the casino experience ruined my week and the week of the wedding party. I have to admit that if the casino experience had not happened, I would have provided a 4 star rating for the property. The non-casino staff, food, drinks, pool, beaches, etc are all great. Having said that I will never stay at a Barcelo property again. I figure that if they are willing to work with such shady operators in the casino, where else are they cutting corners?

Room Tip: Rooms that do not face the beach are quieter as the pool area can get quite loud during the day. Ot...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank cleffer
barcelopc, Manager at Occidental Caribe, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear Guest,
We want you to know, that your opinion is very important and valuable to us. For this reason, your comments are taken with special consideration as they help us identifying our improvement areas, giving us the opportunity to correct them, and thus achieve to offer our guests a service of the highest quality. Please rest assured that your comments regarding the Casino will be discussed with the Casino Manager.
Naples, Florida
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Just want to start off by saying to those that complain about this hotel must not take one dollar to tip anyone out of their pocket. Got back yesterday after spending 1week there and I am so ready to start planning for my next trip back. Went with 2 friends and my husband met us there a couple of days later. The day he got there, the housekeeper "Cecilia" who was a blessing set our room up as a honeymoon suite. The food was wonderful and different everyday. You drink as much as you want, but just a tip to those cheap people that travel to a third world country, these individuals that you treat bad make a monthly wage of $120-140. By the time we left, the staff new our names and hugged and kissed us. They don't expect a tip and still serve you with a smile even if you're ugly to them.

Room Tip: All the rooms are pretty much ocean view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Aileen V
Dear Aileen,
Thank you for choosing Barcelo Punta Cana for your holidays and for the time you spent sharing your review with other travelers on Tripadvisor.com.
In the name of our entire staff, we thank you for highlighting out the excellent service of our friendly staff. Thank you for naming those who made a difference during your visit, like Cecilia.
We are glad that you already plan to visit us again in the future, thus giving us another chance not only to comply with, but to exceed your highest expectations.
Please do not hesitate to contact us prior your next visit.
Thanks again and it will be a pleasure to have you back.
Yours Sincerely,
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Family
Father 53, Mother 47, Daughter 25 and Son 20. 7 day stay. May 22-29.

Check-In
Went very well. Arrive at 2:30 pm. Rooms were not ready, but I knew this going in that by Resort policy, rooms are not available until 4:00 pm. They issued our wrist bands and we were free to roam the resort and to get a bite to eat. We walked around orienting ourselves to the resort. Went back at 3:50 pm and our rooms were ready.

Rooms
As stated by many others, the rooms are very much outdated. We were in rooms 7201 and 7202. They honor our request for adjoining rooms. Bathroom has a pungent odor throughout our 7 day stay. Luckily, we had brought some air sanitizer. Beds were comfortable. A/C worked well after the first day. Guess it took a while for the A/C to come up to normal operation. Many English speaking TV programs available (7-8 programs). We had an excellent view of the “Party” pool and some of the ocean. Water flow in showers was weak. We had hot and cold water throughout our stay no matter what time of day.

Breakfast was by far the worst meal of the day. Lunch and Dinner in the buffet was better, but truly not great. We could find something to eat for any meal. Mostly ate cereal for breakfast with room temp milk, UCK!!! Never seen desserts look so appetizing and taste sooooo bad. Mostly stuck with fruit (watermelon and pineapple) for desserts. The buffet is open air, so birds are in and out taking food directly off the buffet. Mostly cheese and melon balls. Staff was good, but not to what you may enjoy in the US. Although, I have had terrible service in the US as well. The Pizzeria that most raved about…to me it was average. Nothing special about the pizza. Nilsen was very nice and welcome us every time he saw us.

Beach
Absolutely beautiful. Plenty of chairs and shade. Water would be a little too rough for younger children. Water had a nice chill to it, which felt very good after being in the sun. A few topless bathers (thank God they were in their late 20s – earlier 30s)  Felt very safe while walking on the beach. Weather was great!!!

Pools
As I said above, we were next to the “Party” pool. Very noisy and the crowd was very misbehaved and drunk. If I had $5 for every time I heard “MY NI$$ER”, I could paid for two more vacations. The music usually ended around 11:00 pm. Many girls around the DJ in bikinis that should not be subjected to that much stretching to try and hold in all that “booty”. Truly not a family friendly environment. The other pool near the children’s pool was much quieter and more family oriented. Most of our pool time was spent here. Kelvin was very nice and reserved the huts around to pool for us.

Bars
Not all bars open at any given time. Mostly got drinks from the bar outside the buffet entrance. Mudslides were good most of the time. Drinks varied from bar to bar.

Check-Out
Very quick and efficient.

Over-all
I do not think I will be returning to this or any resort in Punta Cana. Mostly a party environment and my partying days are over with. Just not “my cup of tea”. I sure it will appeal to others.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank mcherry305
Dear guest,
First of all we thank you for choosing our hotel Barcelo Punta Cana for your holidays and for the time you took to share your review with the Tripadvisor community.
We would like to thank you for highlighting our strengths and weaknesses. Please be sure that your observations are taking into great consideration for their analysis, in order to improve the points you mentioned.
We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at Barcelo Punta Cana to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities and change any negative perception you may have about us
We will be honored to welcome you back. Do not hesitate to contact us prior your next visit.
Warm regards,
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 29, 2013

The beach was beautiful, white sand and crystal blue waters, very clean as well. This property was very nice but if you're going to have some fun, I don't recommend this property. This is an all inclusive resort and they just did not have any fun activities. Other all inclusive resorts that I have stayed at, there was so much activity, lots of games by the pool, a very friendly staff that got everyone involved in participating. This resort was very limited. The first day we got there it rained all day long, and normally when that happens at an all inclusive resort, the staff comes up with games in the lobby, anything to help the visitors have a good time, this resort did not provide that. This resort does not even have drinks and food service by the pools and beach. You have to go the bars yourself and get your own drinks, which I have never had to do at any other all inclusive place. There were not very many bars on the property as well, most of the time, only a couple bars were open, the others were closed all day long. Also, I was there for a wedding, and I had asked the maids to clean my room early and by the time I went back to my room to get ready at around 3pm, my room was still not clean, it was horrible rushing to get ready and be at the wedding ceremony at another resort by 4:30pm when the room was not even clean. Overall, this property is very nice, but if you're really looking for an all inclusive resort experience, this property did not have it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest,
We want you to know, that your opinion is very important and valuable to us. For this reason, your comments are taken with special consideration as they help us identifying our improvement areas, especially what refers to the entertainment offer, giving us the opportunity to correct them, and thus achieve to offer our guests a service of the highest quality.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
Alsol Luxury Village
Alsol Luxury Village
#87 of 111 in Punta Cana
Sunscape Dominican Beach Punta Cana

Been to Occidental Caribe? Share your experiences!