“"OK"”

Ranked #63 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
New York City, New York
“"OK"”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Overall, we had a good time. Laid on the beach/near the pool, nice/friendly staff, great entertainment. However, the rooms had ants, beds were sandy before we even got there, food was okay, not terrific and the drinks were not so good. The worst part was that our bathroom constantly smelled like a sewer, and the room was never really cleaned. Had to fight for clean towels, and they never gave us enough for four people (who were staying in the room). Would not return to this hotel for a vacation.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Tiffany,
First of all we thank you for choosing our hotel Barcelo Punta Cana for your holidays and for the time you took to share your review with the Tripadvisor community.
We would like to thank you for highlighting our strengths and weaknesses. Please be sure that your observations are taking into great consideration for their analysis, in order to improve the points you mentioned.
We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at Barcelo Punta Cana to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities and change any negative perception you may have about us
We will be honored to welcome you back. Do not hesitate to contact us prior your next visit.
Warm regards,
Sandy Pfeil

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,229)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
North Bay, Canada
Reviewed May 5, 2013

My husband & I stayed at Barcelo Punta Cana March 20 2013 We stayed in Section 2 on the top floor The view was lovely We are planning a trip in Sept. 2013 We will be a few couples .
Would you pleasr give me more descriptions on these rooms
Oceanview-- superior room prestige class --superior room oceanfront--Suite club Premuim Prestige AS all the couples have different budgets

Room Tip: Section 1 to 3
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank frenchy000
barcelopc, Manager at Occidental Caribe, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Nieves Family,
Greetings, thanks for choosing Barceló Punta Cana for your holidays. It was a pleasure to have you with us, Thanks for taking time to value and rate our product and services. We are happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Fot the room descriptions you can find a detailed one in our website.
We hope you give us another chance to serve you later this year!
With best regards,
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We were there from April 27 to May 4. It was our first time in DR - before we went a couple of times to Cuba. We had the Prestige Class from Transat Holidays. Gay couple!

Service: I was expecting a better service than we usually get in Cuba, however, it has been a little disappointing. Staff was not smiling a lot, we had to run after them to get a glass of water at the buffet. But, at the specialty restaurants service was good and friendly. One day, bath towels were missing from our room, so we called the "special concierge service" we were supposed to have with the Prestige Class and waited about 2.5 hours... so we finally get to the reception and almost had to fight to get some. At some points we were thinking the fact we are 2 boys was a little issue at the restaurants, but maybe is just in our head, but we had the feeling to be more "accepted" in Cuba than DR (from the staff and the crowd in general).

Value: the resort is ok, not much. We have paid about 1350$ CAD. We do not think it is a 4.5 star (according to Prestige Class), but more likely a 4.

Sleep Quality: if you want to sleep at night, avoid building 2 at all cost. The Casino entrance is down there and people are crying out loud every night at 3 am... you are literally feeling they are in our room!! However, bed is very comfortable, but pillows smell bad.

Cleanliness: Hotel is clean.. I haven't seen bugs at all.. except a fly. Beach is beautiful and clean. Comparing to Cuba, the hotel smell good. Public bathroom are just public bathroom, so don't expect anything special there (LOL).

Location: Great location, Beach is great but waves are huge and almost dangerous. Pools are very nice and clean. But, we had some issues finding a spot with shadow. The beach is really missing umbrellas or places to avoid the sun. We had no issue to get a chair at the beach or at the pool. Fabulous beach to take a walk. The pool for kids is just awesome. This resort is definitely a great place for family with young children. Gardens are just ok. It is also safe to let your stuff at the beach when you do to diner. Nobody will take your beach towel, but bring iPod, photo camera and other valuable stuff with you.

Rooms: very nice room. Clean, smell good and definitely one of the best room I ever get in the south. Of course it was a renovated room. It was not an Ocean View room, but we had a beautiful view at the ocean. Fridge was full every day with a bottle of water, 2 beers, a Coca-Cola, a Sprite and a pear juice. Room was made early in the morning.. one morning, the maid was ready at 8h30 am (LOL). I have been disappointing only about one little thing: in Cuba we get special arrangements with the bath towels on the bed, but there, nothing special, even with a $5 USD tip every day. No issue with the water in the shower!

Beverage selection: Ok, they have almost every liquor available, but drinks at not that good. I have tasted the worst Mijotos of my entire life! Drinks never taste the same: sometimes with too much alcohol, sometimes with not that much. Tips doesn't change anything. You will not get a better drink or service at the bar if you tip or not.

Food: food is good. Much better than Cuba (much much better). Paris restaurant is AWESOME and you can get real good wines at very good prices. Tokyo is average, but fun (and hot). Roma and Dominican restaurants are very good too. However, service is fast. If your reservation is at 6pm, you will get out at 7pm. At some point, you even don't have finished your starter and the main course arrives. All reservations are done when you arrive (that is cool). You can change them every day if you want.

Entertainment: I was disappointed by the entertainment at night. Music is junk american music. Not feeling the Caribbean vibe. Missing entertainment or a place to relax and take a drink at night. The moment I liked to most is when a little Russian tourist used the piano: he was f*king awesome!! The theater is nice and huge. Great shows and the circus was very cute.

My own personal tips:

- If you want to sleep at night: avoid building 2
- If you want a renovated room, choose building 1, 2 or 3.
- If you want a great view from your room: ask for level 3 and above.
- If you are young and want to party: choose building 6 or 7.
- You can get water everywhere: bring the bottle you get and drink a lot.
- Double your sunscreen: it cost about 30$ USD at the boutique.
- The boutique has e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g.... and I mean it.
- Avoid Casino girls at all cost. Once they catch you, you're done! (LOL).
- Currency exchange is only in Dominican dollars, so bring a lot of $1 US bills.
- Worst places to get troubles: Casino and discoteca.
- At the Tokyo you'll get a Saké with the Prestige Class.. don't say yes to a second one because you will get drunk really fast (LOL).

In conclusion: we had good times. We were expecting a little more service, a little more Caribbean entertainment and drinks. The Prestige Class worth it just for the renovated room and that's all. Do not hesitate to send an email to the resort a week before you arrival for any special request: they will do their best. Will we go back? Maybe. Not sure yet.

Room Tip: - If you want to sleep at night: avoid building 2 - If you want a renovated room, choose building 1...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank slapolice
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Barcelo Punta Cana at Tripadvisor.
We are very so sad to read that we couldn’t fill your expectations regarding our hotel at a 100%. We always try to keep our quality service, in order to satisfy the needs and expectations of all our guests.
We take all guest feedback very seriously; therefore we appreciate all your comments and will ensure that those are worked on.
Thank you to give us your honest point of view about our hotel. On behalf of the entire Barcelo Punta Cana staff, please accept our apologize for any discomfort you may have experienced.
We hope you give us another chance to serve you, if you happen to visit Punta Cana in the future.
Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Returning for the third time at the Barcelo (Premium) Punta Cana. Excellent service and very clean. Excellent room in Building 2 top floor. Thanks to Rosa, Angela and the rest of the Club Premium staff for helping to make our trips so enjoyable, they are very courteous, helpful and friendly. The A la Carte restaurants are very good, especially the Tokyo, to die for, the Paris is very good too, the Italian restaurant was very slow and the food was not the best. Stayed more at the quiet pool this year and it was amazing so was the ocean, just as beautiful as I remembered it. Clear blue crystal water. Until next year. As usual the gala dinners were excellent. Thank you for the t-shirts we received at the gala dinners. (gala dinner a perk for returning)

Room Tip: building 2 or 3, oceanview
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Dear Guest:
We would like to thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us, being of the utmost importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.
Let me express my gratitude for writing your impressions in this website and to share them with other guests.
We feel glad to read that you have left the hotel feeling totally invigorated. Thank you for highlighting our strengths. It is important for us to know that our staff’s efforts are appreciated by our guests.
We all hope to see you again soon for your 4th visit.
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed May 4, 2013

When we booked this trip the reviews were about 50/50 good and bad. After we booked the reviews became worse and worse. We arrived and I was expecting the worst. I was very wrong. It was funny that every time you met someone the conversation would eventually go back to reading the reviews and being surprised how nice everything was.

So here are my experiences.

-The rooms
Building 7 is the worse is all we read. Well we stayed in building 7 and as we walked up to our room I was dreading it. We opened the door and I literally thought "Um this is great?" We were lucky with a comfy bed. We had a balcony, a desk, sitting chair, nice big bathroom. If you try to shower before breakfast or before dinner you may not have hot water, but that only happened to use twice. The tv's aren't flat screen like in buildings 1-3 but who goes there to watch tv?

-The bar
We did most of our partying in the Lobby I bar. Caesar and the other bar staff are fabulous! They will accommodate you and make any drink you'd like. They also surprisingly make a descent caesar. We read that people felt they "water down the liquor". Well I don't feel this was the case, they tasted pretty darn good. One thing though we took our Bubba Mugs and at first the drinks weren't strong because I'd assume they were just use to mixing in the small glasses. We just simply asked for stronger and boy did they oblige.

-Beach
Amazing! The waves were so fun, hardly any sea weed either.We walked up the beach and this resort had the biggest and best beach. There were plenty of lounge chairs and lots of palm tress for shade if you needed. Also the very few people that were on the beach selling products were very respectful and not pushy.

-Food
My partner is one of the pickiest eaters I have ever met, people were preparing him for a month about the food. At every meal he uttered at least once "Oh my god I can't believe how good the food is!". The buffet had lots of selection. Everything from Dominican to French fries. The salad bar was great, as was the different stations (omelette, pasta, ect).We did 3 a la cartes. Tex Mex, it was yummy but they had no steak knifes which made eating prime ribs difficult. It was a little tricky to find but once we found it, it had a beautiful view of the ocean and sunset. We also did Italian, this was my partners favorite. Salads and deserts were great, I expected a little more of a selection for the entres but it was yummy none the less. My favorite was the Japanese. It was very entertaining and the food was amazing. I had the sushi to start and it was quite good. If you are traveling with a group this is a good one to do all together. Defiantly try to catch the egg they toss at you, the chefs have great aim.

-Other positive points
*The security was amazing here. There was no concern for our safety at anytime and they are seen everywhere. I had left my purse in the lobby left on the bus to go to the airport, had to have the bus turn around to go get it and a security guard was carrying it around and made sure everything was still in there for me
*The nightly shows were entertaining but the Michael Jackson show was unreal. Do not miss it!
*I did a free painting class on the beach and it was so fun. Check it out.
-Pool was shocked every night. Then every morning while on your way to breakfast pool staff would be in the pool scrubbing the tiles and skimming everything out of it. They also walked around skimming regularly throughout the day.

-Negatives
*The vendors come to the resort on Saturday and Tuesdays. Avoid at all costs!! They are pushy and very expensive even when you bargain with them. The gift shops on the resort are cheaper.
*The resort is open to locals on the weekend. The resort did not have the staff to accommodate the extra 500 people. Waits for the bar went from instantaneously to 30 minutes. The washrooms became disgusting. And during dinner service you were done eating before receiving a glass of water. Locals were served before others, not in order of which you came. Also during the week it was recognized by all those staying that it there was a towel on a lounger it was taken and if there was a towel on a lounger under the umbrella, the umbrella was also spoken for. On Saturday 3 times we left our umbrella to go into the pool(leaving out belongings and towels on the chairs under our umbrella) and locals took them. We were told they only come at the end of the season so we will be booking earlier if this is actually the case.
*The front desk staff could be a little short with you. When you were trying to ask questions they wouldn't let you finish but would cut you off assuming they knew what you were going to ask which was not the case most times.
*No constant music going on. There was entertainment in the evening at the lobby bar for a little bit but once that was over there was no music so the vibe would die off quickly. Dean Roy played most of the week we were there he was fabulous! We missed him our last 2 nights when he wasn't there. There was also only music playing by the pool at certain times. Would be nice for it to play in the background the whole time the pool was open.
*There were not enough umbrellas at all around the pool. There is no breeze so shade was needed.
*The casino promoters are EXTREMELY rude! Avoid eye contact at all costs. I did not appreciate catching them mocking my walk behind my back and telling my partner to "Shut up" when he told them polity, when they tried to give us a coupon, "Thank you but we don't gamble."

-Tips
* Invest in a Bubba Mug! I was drinking slush and went for a walk on the beach and returned 2hrs later and it was still frozen! They can be found at Canadian tire for only like $15.
* Whatever sunscreen you think you'll need double it! You can find 3 bottles for $15 at Costco. It is $31 for one bottle on the resort!
*We went on the catamaran trip. They told us only to bring sunbathing camera and hat and sunscreen. You should also bring money because you stop at a market place that is enjoyable to shop at they aren't pushy and also have chips and chocolate. We had only brought enough money for tips as we were not told we were stopping. Also bring a towel. The trip ended up being close to 12 hours. The bus ride was close to 2hrs long. It was enjoyable though longer than we expected.
*Drink lots of water! We drank one glass of water for every 2 alcoholic drinks and avoided hangovers/dehydration
*Bring after bite! Also one of the bartenders told us to use tequila instead of bug spray, just dip a napkin in it lightly and rub it on you. My god it worked so well.
*The way the theater is situated there is no breeze so the bugs will eat you alive if you don't wear bug spray or tequila.

Over all it was a very enjoyable trip. It is a 4 star so it was expected that everything wouldn't be perfect. But for the price I would say it was well worth it!

Room Tip: We were in building 7 it was not as bad as everyone said. It was cheaper and It was closer to the be...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Katie,
First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to communicate your opinion about your last stay at Barcelo Punta Cana.
We are happy to see that there are elements of resort that you quite enjoyed, however we are very concerned to read that your experience with us did not live up to our usual level of service . Indeed, your well being and entire satisfaction is our primary goal.
We would like to extend our most sincere apologies for any inconveniences or difficulties you may have experienced during your stay.
We will be very glad if you give us the opportunity to host you again in the near future!
Regards
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Was here last year was everything was great decided to bring back the family WOW big mistake their rooms were great our room on the other hand smelled so bad like MUST as soon as we opened the door within 2 mins we were back to the front desk and we asked to switch rooms which they said Friday morning at 9 oclock the next day ok great 9 oclock came we were up at the front desk and they told us no not untill Sunday so bye then are clothes and suitcases reeeeeeeeke of MUST and guess what is in our suitcases our clothes so we go to the front desk on Sunday at 9 oclock like they said FRIDAY and still no switching of rooms come back later on they said so by then we just said never mind their not going to do nothing about it which we were right they did not there was a leak in our bathroom celing Drip Drip Drip all night which they did nothing about either forgot to tell you about that .The bugs now lets get started on that BUGS in the HEADBOARDS YES BUGS LITTLE BROWN BUGS NOT BEDBUGS EITHER NOT BUGS OUTSIDE YOU DONT WANT THAT WHILE YOU SLEEP I KNOW I DONT 4 OUT OF SIX OF US ARE COATED OIN BITES .OTHER THAN THAT THE FOOD IS THE SAME TASTELESS STUFF NIGHT IN AND NIGHT OUT HAVE TO WATCH OUT FOR THE BURGERS MAKE SURE THIER COOKED HALF OF THE TIME THEY WERE NOT AND YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS IF THERE NOT I DONT NEED TO TELL YA I M SURE YOU KNOW. STAY AWAY FROM 1109 AND ROOM 1108 .Other than that the shows were great the dune buggies WERE FUN AND FORSURE SURE GO SNORKILING THE BEST EVER but the beach and pools are beautiful ESPICALLY AT NIGHT TIME JUST THE WAY THE PLACE IS LIGHT UP AND BEAUTFUL WEATHER AS WELL.Enough said this is my HONEST opion the rooms suck we had they never did nothing about it food well tasteless EVERYTHING ELSE IS GREAT NICE PEOPLE AND TO THE ONE FELLOW THAT CLEANED OUR ROOMS GOING TO MISS YOU YOU WERE GREAT AND ALWAYS HAPPY ALWAYS SMILING TAKE CARE .I know the response i m going to get IS we are looking into it looking to apporve thanks for the comments BUT TO BE HONEST IF YOU WERE LOOKING TO INPROVE You WOULD HAVE DONE SOMETHING ABOUT THE ROOMS AND THIS RANT WOULD NEVER EVER BEEN PUT ON HERE SO GOOD LUCK AND TAKE CARE

Room Tip: do not get rooms on the bottom floor espically 1109 reekes of must
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Eddie B
Dear Eddie,
As a repeater client your opinion is very important to us. It represents a challenge, an opportunity to improve our services, and maintain the magic that makes our dear customers choose for their holiday destination our Barcelo Punta Cana.
We thank you for taking the time to bring your concerns to our attention. It is through communications of this nature that we are given an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from our resort. We are sad to read that we couldn’t fill your expectation about our hotel during your second visit. . In your case, all your issues could absolutely be fixed in time; we have a very efficient guest service department and, of course, our Management team is always accessible for all our clients in case that any discomfort could not be fixed by our staff.
We hope that your perception of Barcelo Punta Cana was not tarnished due to this experience. We sincerely hope that we will once again be given the opportunity to prove to you our commitment to excellent customer service and satisfaction.
Palmdale, California
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I have traveld many places. I really want to say that Punta Cana in the Dominican was fabulous! People there are humble and very nice. I was very impressed. Not only the beaches but surrounding areas. I am planning on returning in November to visit the Cathedral in El Hguey. I will stay at the same plance Barcelo Punta Cana the staff is TOTALLY AWESOME! Love my Dominican Gente!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Carmela777
barcelopc, Manager at Occidental Caribe, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Dear Carmela,
The nice notes like the one you kindly posted on the Trip Advisor webpage are very appreciated by us. Thank you for taking some time to express your impressions during your stay at the Barcelo Punta Cana. It was delightful for all our staff to read that you appreciate the service of all of them and the facilities at the resort. Your comments encourage us to continue improving our services.
Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to be able to welcome you back in November.
Warmest Regards