“Great time had by all” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #62 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Calgary, Canada
“Great time had by all”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

We just got back from a week stay at the Barcelo Premium Punta Cana. My son got married there and all I can say is thank goodness we didn't listen to the bad reviews. There was a group of 23 of us and other than some minor complaints that were dealt with quickly, everyone had a great time. I stayed in building 7 and our room was fine. The housekeeping staff were great and always cleaned our room to our expectations. The food at the buffet was okay. We were able to take advantage of the al la carte restaurants and ate at 4 of them. The Mexican, French, Italian and Japanese restaurants were all delicious. My son and daughter-in-law had their wedding dinner and dance on the beach and it was set up beautifully. The wedding coordinator did an awesome job in getting things organized. The activity pool was fun and the staff that ran the activities during the day were great. Especially Dianna. We took in a few of the nighttime entertainment shows and they were good as well. Out of the 7 days we were there, I only encountered one staff member that didn't seem happy to be there and he didn't get a tip from me because of it. Everyone else was more than willing to help you from the front desk, guest services to the bar and restaurant staff. The beach is beautiful. The sand is like no other beach I have set foot on. We are already planning to go back for my son and daughter in laws first wedding anniversary. Please don't let the bad reviews steer you from this hotel. Thanks to all the staff at this hotel on making our week enjoyable.

2 Thank Mary D
barcelopc, Manager at Occidental Caribe, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Mary,
The nice notes like the one you kindly posted on the Trip Advisor webpage are very appreciated by us. Thank you for taking some time to express your impressions during your stay at the Barcelo Punta Cana. It was delightful for all our staff to read that you appreciate the service of all of them and the facilities at the resort. Your comments encourage us to continue improving our services.
Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to be able to welcome you back.
Warmest Regards
Sandy Pfeil

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,181)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

Just returned from a GREAT vacation at Barcelo Punta Cana. We travelled with another couple, and 2 children. The resort did have some spring breakers, but HARDLY noticeable (which was my concern, having kids with us). We didn't witness any bad behaviour, and the entire trip was very family-friendly.

Getting through the airport and to our transfer was easy. The ride to the resort did take about 45-mins because we stopped at several other resorts. It wasn't a bad ride though (and the air conditioned bus was nice).

Check-in was very manual and cumbersome (and took FAR longer than it should have), but the staff were friendly. We asked to be close to our friends and in a specific building, and they accomodated us with a smile.

The food isn't nearly as bad as the reviews say...although I could see the Buffet getting a little old and boring after a week. But a LOT of choice for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The outdoor grill by the pool has AMAZING burgers...the pizza area wasn't great, and we stood in line for over an hour...not really worth the wait. We ate at all of the A La Carte restaraunts - the best being the Dominican, the French and the Italian....the others were just so-so. They have a kids menu at each which was nice, but our kids ate off the adult menu as there was more choice.

We booked through Delta Vacations, and our Rep could not have been ANY nicer! Erick Francoise, you went out of your way to help our families with excursions, entertained the kids, made us feel welcome in a country we were new to - even got us fresh coconuts to drink from, and I could NOT say enough nice things about you - you are a true asset to Delta Vacations - MUCHO GRACIAS!!!

We booked out excursions on the internet before we went, but it's easy to do at the resort - and the prices are the same, so don't worry about making plans once you're there. The Dolphin Explorer excursion was great (for all ages), and we did a Snorkel/Sail afternoon through MyDominicanAdventure - which was great (for all ages). Bibijuaga Beach is breathtaking - and has a lot of local vendors for shopping. The RCC shopping is fun - free transportation from Barcelo (15-mins by bus), for jewelery, souvenirs and cigars.

We celebrated my husbands birthday while we were at Barcelo Punta Cana - I asked at Guest Services and they arranged a (free) bottle of champagne for our room, and a birthday cake at the restaraunt that night - GREATLY appreciated.

The ONLY negative I have to say about Barcelo Punta Cana, is that although they had kids activities most days...they were very underwhelming.... The Barcy Kids Club was a little sketchy looking, and the staff not-so-friendly with adults, so we didn't use that, The kids disco each night was a nice idea, but a little boring so our kids didn't even want to join in. However, there is SO much to do with the pools and the beach alone, that our kids were NEVER bored.

Overall, this trip was great for my family (a couple in our mid-thirties, and a 7-year old) - we had SO much fun, the resort is beautiful, most people were friendly and welcoming, and we certainly never went hungry or thirsty. I'd definitely recommend this place for anyone.

Room Tip: As all previous reviews, ask to stay in building's 1, 2 or 3. Great views of the pool, ocean, an...
5 Thank angelabanana
Dear Angela,
We greatly appreciate that you have chosen Barcelo Punta Cana for your holidays. It is through communications of this nature that our customers give us an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us. It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed a nice time with us, which reflects the commitment and quality of service we have exhibited through the years.
Thank you for taking the time of sharing your opinion with us which we will take in the highest consideration, especially your comment regarding the Barcy Club.
Thank you for your comments and looking forward to welcoming you again!
Regards from Punta Cana!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

Stayed at the Barcelo Punta Cana recently for 2 weeks. (Attended wedding, this resort would not be my first choice)
I love the DR, its people and its culture and have been going there off and on for over 20 years.

Positives:
Beach - Beautiful white sand, but huge waves (if you want to swin in the ocean, not the beach for you, but jumping waves is fun)
Food - No real complaints, lots of same choices in Buffet every day, standard for the DR, the a-la-cartes were very good.
Pools - Clean and seemed to be well maintained, did not spend a lot of time at the pool
Weather - After a few cool days (windy) the weather improved where you could sit at the beach without a blanket.
Rooms - Clean, maid service excellent (couldn't do enough for us)
Staff - for the most part staff was cordial and friendly
Actvity Staff - We were there over March Break and the American University reading week so the activity staff had their hands full with the kids, good job keeping them busy for the most part

Negatives:
Water for showering etc. - Had just hot water for a few days, I have heard of no hot water but no cold water, come on!!!
Rooms - Need to be upgraded, especially bathrooms, old and dark, need new lighting
Staff - Found a lot of staff members appeared not to be very happy. Stems down from the management team who also looked like they were stressed, unhappy and never mingled with the guests
Bugs - Bite bring OFF!!
Entertainment - Felt that they could bring in nightly entertainment (have the house band play one or two nights) in and around Lobby Bar #1 & 2 (or at least pipe in music), nightly shows were the same every night, entertainers dancing on stage.

Big Beef:
CHECK IN: Need to get people into their rooms before 4 p.m. We had to fight to get into our rooms then or we would have had to wait longer. Hire more housekeeping, our poor girl was run off her feet to keep up.

Overall our stay was good. Would I return to this resort, probably not!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank deutschlady
barcelopc, Manager at Occidental Caribe, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear guest,
First of all we thank you for choosing our hotel Barcelo Punta Cana for your holidays and for the time you took to share your review with the Tripadvisor community.
We would like to thank you for highlighting our strengths and weaknesses. Please be sure that your observations are taking into great consideration for their analysis, in order to improve the points you mentioned.
We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at Barcelo Punta Cana to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities and change any negative perception you may have about us
We will be honored to welcome you back. Do not hesitate to contact us prior your next visit.
Warm regards,
canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

I chose this hotel on Flight Centres recommendation. There was my first mistake trusting them. They showed me pictures of the rooms...ya they were the rooms in Bldg 1 and 2 that have been updated. My room was disgusting I didn't even have a pole on my towel rack handles. Oh and all the ugly stories that I read regarding towels. Take it to the bank it was a hunt for staff almost everyday for a towel. We had 2 rooms, the patio doors did not even lock. There were no deadbolt levers on the door and the bathrooms were outdated to say the least. The mini fridge was old and disgusting but the best part was our sink in one of the rooms. The plumbing was not even connected and water was spewing out all over the floor. At first I was so pissed I thought of just letting it flood but that proved to be a problem as it was tile floor. The maids idea was throw a towel under it. Through all this, I instantly notified the Transat/Noli Tour rep that we were very unhappy as one of our rooms was not even in the same building at first. They messed up on our al la cartes and as a result we could have eaten at different ones separately or lose one. They booked us at different times in different restaurants. I have complained to Flight Centre as well and basically all three companies passed the buck. One thing I will agree on is that the entertainment crew especially Sandy were excellent. They made the stay. The beach was really rough in this area and would not recommend it for anyone with young children. Some of the beach chairs were in desperate need of being replaced. The food at the lunch buffet by the pools was disgusting. It smelled of a greasy spoon everyday and after the first experience I never ate there again. The al la cartes were decent and we enjoyed them. The bar tenders were also great! Very friendly and we did meet some very nice people at the hotel but I would not recommend this hotel unless it was a fire sale and you couldn't afford to spend a couple hundred more. Oh, I forgot to mention by 1 every day the bathrooms by the pool were flooded and smelled disgusting.

Room Tip: If you stay at this hotel stay in Building 1, 2 or 3. I did some investigating and these are the onl...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest,
Thank you for choosing Barcelo Punta Cana for your holidays. In the name of our entire staff, we want to thank you for taking time to share your review with other travelers.
We are happy to see that there are elements of resort that you quite enjoyed, however we are very concerned to read that your experience with us did not live up to our usual level of service . Indeed, your well being and entire satisfaction is our primary goal.
We take all guest feedback very seriously because we want improve with you, and we're constantly changing all aspects of our service and facilities. Thank you to give us your honest point of view about our property and services. On behalf of the entire Barcelo Punta Cana staff, please accept our apology for any discomfort you may have encountered.
We thank you for your feedback. It helps us to improve our standards of service.
Please feel free to contact us, in case you decide to visit us again.
Yours Sincerely,
St. John's, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

This was our first trip to the Dominican republic and we read many reviews about this resort...some were not so appealing so we went with an open mind.

Although this resort is not new, you can definately see people working to maintain the property. The staff was absolutely fantastic. Always smiling and willing to help you....i still smile thinking how many times I had to get my keycard activated and by the end of our trip the front desk knew me.

We travelled with our 11 year old son, who had a great time. The bar staff always had a smile for him when he asked for non alcoholic drinks and a little joke about double the rum. We had a great time and wished we could have stayed another week. Tons of activities to do and a very energetic team they have there.

Food was good. I am a very picky eater and there was tons of food to choose from. We did try a few restaurants on the resort and they were wonderful as well.

We went on an excursion with the Bavaro runners. Highly highly recommended. We had a blast!!!

Just go and enjoy!

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank Joyce M
Dear Joyce,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate all feedback.
We also are very pleased you enjoyed the all-inclusive program which includes a wide range of delicious food and beverage and the different activities.
It is an honor to know that our staff is providing our guests with the natural warm and hospitality that characterize the Dominican people. Please be assured that your nice comments will be forward to our staff. They will be delighted to know that they are making a difference in each guest experience.
We thank you for taking your time sharing your opinion with us which we will take in the highest consideration.
Looking forward to welcoming you once again!
Best regards,
Chester, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

$4,000 dollar nightmare!! Food was horrrible!! You have to make reservations for specifics restaurants which they only have appointments for 9:00pm! They didn't care that you had an infint that had to be to bed! Beach towels they limit you for one per person and they are strict even for baby! Rooms are filthy no update! Some employees were nasty! Buffet had nice employees! Food was horrible! They don't have enough chairs by pool! The pool looks awesome and its steps away from beach! The theatre entertainment is horrible! The dj Franklin familia was funny, however he does the same thing over and over. The hotel is loaded with sand flies which bite you leaving venom and leaves bad rash! Bar service is horrible! They are nasty bartenders who look at you and make you wait!!! The front desk personnel is nasty! Room service was not good! Did not refill soap in rooms! Bath tubs were disgusting floors were dirty! Pay extra money and stay somewhere different!

Room Tip: Do not stay here!
3 Thank Neilmpd1188
barcelopc, Manager at Occidental Caribe, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you to take your time to write and share your review in Tripadvisor. Checking your words we can appreciate you didn’t have a pleasant stay in Barcelo Punta Cana and that we couldn’t fill your expectation about our property. We try to keep our quality service to give you our best and we take all guest feedback very seriously. We would like to give you an honest apology for any discomfort you may have experienced. Our main goal is the quality service and this is also a good value of our skills. Thank you very much again to give us your opinion.
Cordially
Lawton, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

We planned our trip to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic for 15 – 22 Mar 13. We arrived in Punta Cana on 15 Mar 13 in the early afternoon and found out that it cost each of us $10 to enter the country. After getting our bags we found our vacation company (FunJet) representative and arranged travel to the Barcelo Resort. It was about a 45 minute ride from the airport. The trip to the hotel was very eventful; from sharing the road with many different sizes of motor cycles, scooters, and vehicles we had many “close encounters”. We ran into a traffic jam and our driver turned around in the street and we traveled down a road that was under construction along with a bus, delivery vehicles, and taxi’s to a cross street where the bus got high centered and backed up more traffic for about 10 minutes. Finally we got through the road block and we were on our way to the hotel. Upon arrival we checked in at the front desk. The clerks were nice and considerate during this process. Our room was not ready yet so we walked around the grounds and got our lay of the land. We found ourselves at the outdoor bar with drinks in hand looking at the beach and all the people playing volleyball and laying on the beach. You could smell burgers cooking and we decided to eat a late lunch. We had read many reviews before and had requested a room in building 3 and got one on the 2nd floor. Our balcony overlooked the main pool and we could see the ocean through the many tropical trees that are on the grounds. We were pleased with the room. Tips are greatly appreciated and we tipped our cleaning lady and mini bar stocker a couple of bucks each day. We added a little not with the tip and we got everything that we ask for. There were minor issues with hot and cold water while showering but it was not a problem at all. The hair dryer quit working and we called the front desk. Within 2 hours the hair dryer was replaced with a new one. We were able to get all of our reservation made on the first day for all the restaurants. Our favorite was the Japanese restaurant and we got to eat there 2 times in our 8 day stay. Make sure that you find the pizza restaurant upstairs of the El Marlin restaurant the pizza is great. We eat there almost everyday for a late lunch. The El Mirador and the Roma were pretty good but the Paris was definitely a disappointment. The Lobby Bar 1 (Alhambra) was where Salvador, Eddiezon, and Ceasar worked is a great place to hang out and believe me those guys will take great care of you. Our most fun find was the Mamajuana drink. You can purchase it in the gift shop to take home and you can try some while you are sitting at the lobby bar. If you get a chance visit the casino, we had a great time there after dinner playing the slot machines. We would definitely go back and stay the Barcelo Punta Cana. The beach was a definite WOW!

Room Tip: If you stay in building 3, if you want to get a clear view of the ocean stay on the 4th or 5th floor...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Houston L
barcelopc, Manager at Occidental Caribe, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Dear Guest,
Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at the Barcelo Punta Cana.
It is an honor to know that our staff is providing our guests with the natural warm and hospitality that characterize the Dominican people. Please be assured that your nice comments will be forward to our staff, especially to the ones you named in your review. They will be delighted to know that they are making a difference in each guest experience.
Looking forward to welcoming you once again!
Best regards,