“Totally amazing holiday!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #61 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Ottawa, Canada
“Totally amazing holiday!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

This was our fourth trip (Feb 13th - 20th) to the Barcelo Punta Cana: For sure it was our best trip yet to this resort. We had a renovated third floor room with an ocean view. Liked it better than the fourth floor - somehow the view was better. This year we spent all our time on the beach. It seemed quieter and if you fell asleep the snoring didn't disturb anyone. In previous trips we hung out around the pool more. We walked for very long distances in both directions on the beach going by several other resorts. The beach at the Barcelo P.C. was by far the nicest of them all. The room did not smell musty. Got a welcome fruit basket and bottle of rum. The a/c did not work when we got there but the repair guys were right on it and by the next day we had very cold A/C that kept on working perfectly. There is a ceiling fan so one night without air was not so bad. This year we found the staff to be much happier - everywhere. The waiters and the bar tenders and the whole rest of the staff was just in a totally different frame of mind - congratulations to the staff motivator that achieved that. No resort is perfect and bearing in mind you are in a third world country and don't likely speak their language, patience and a smile goes a long way. We are already planning our next trip (#5) back to the Barcelo Punta Cana. Thanks for the personal attention from Sandy and the rest of her staff. She knows who she is. We will tell everyone we know, don't listen to the negative reviews. Relax and enjoy one of the best resorts in the Caribbean.

Sue and Bruce.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank BooOttawaONCanada
barcelopc, Manager at Occidental Caribe, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Sue and Bruce,
We would like to thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us, being of the utmost importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.
Let us express our gratitude for writing your impressions in this website and to share them with other guests.It is always a pleasure to read comments from our repeat guests!
We feel glad to read that you have left the hotel feeling totally invigorated. Thank you for highlighting our strengths. It is important for us to know that our staff’s efforts are appreciated by our guests.
We all hope to see you again soon.
warm regards
Sandy Pfeil

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,178)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Paris, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

We don't understand all the poor reviews! Thinking that those that complain are those that can never be pleased. All of the employees had a ready smile, and super friendly. We treated them in a friendly manner, appreciating all that they did for us. Sometimes we had to wait for hot water, but good heavens, the waiters weren't dilly dallying....they were BUSY! The food in the buffet was varied, there was only one night out of 14 (minus the 6 a la carts we had) that the variety was slim pickings for our tastes, but we managed to find enough food to fill us up! The best a la cart was the Japanese and Milan evenings. Least favorite had to be the TexMex (horrible spare ribs...don't order them!) David and Ignacio (manager and assistant manager) were so fantastic to us! Our room was clean (great housekeepers) and they appreciated the tips we left on the pillows. We had no difficulty with the room, and only spent a couple of hours during each afternoon, and of course, for sleeping....why do we want a 'posh' room, when we weren't in it very much on a day to day basis. The beach was amazing...the bartenders at the swim up bar were great...Only two complaints really....1. whoever inputs the booking into the computer, needs to pay attention to what has been booked! We were traveling with another couple...were put in the same block, however on the 1st and 4th floor...NOT as booked. The front desk personnel weren't very accommodating initially.... and 2ndly...the pool deck needs to be washed on a daily basis. Would we come back? YOU BET!!!!

Room Tip: If you'd like a quiet night sleep...choose a room away from the pool area...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Corrinne M
Dear Corinne,
Thank you very much for sharing with us your experience here at the Barcelo Punta Cana.
The comments of all our guests are really important for us. We will review your opinions with all the involved departments, especially your observations about the TEX MEX, our reservation staff and the pool area.
Yours sincerely,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

I don't understand all the poor reviews! People must be very picky. This was the most amazing beach we had ever been to! Our hotel room was nice and always clean the restaurants were good the buffet was alright. I don't have a bad thing to say.. Don't listen to poor reviews its a nice resort. We were there with 40 friends and family and we all loved it !

• Stayed January 2013
10 Thank Hd9
barcelopc, Manager at Occidental Caribe, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear guest,
Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at the Barcelo Punta Cana.
We do not know how to thank you for this kind of comments. Posts such as yours delight us and gives us confidence to keep working hard to satisfy our customers and improve our service.
Please allow us to reassure that we are extremely proud to have provided you a great time, which reflects the commitment and quality of service we have exhibited through the years.
We are looking forward to welcoming you once again and continue providing the most unforgettable experiences.
London, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

We stayed Jan 30-Feb 6, 2013 We booked through Air transat and upgraded to prestige class.
Prior to departure I emailed resort with a couple of requests and time for a la cart bookings. They were quick to respond.
Upon arrival we had separate check in it took a while but teh gentleman at the counter was helpful we had requested two rooms with two double beds and one of the rooms was a king he said he would adjust it for us and did so while we waited for him to check in another customer. We were given our a la cart tickets and room keys and he showed us how to get to our rooms, he also let us know which restauraunts were still open for lunch. Once in our rooms we discovered our safe was infested with ants. " I hate ants" but I got my bug spray and sprayed then notified housekeeping and frontdesk they called in evening to arrange to fumigate room in morning. I was okay with this as we just moved our suitcases to my parents room which was two doors down. We were in building 2 on the 4th floor had a beautiful view of ocean and quiet pool.
We left a small moetary tip and trinkits for housekeeping and the person who stocked or fridge daily we never had an issue. On arrival we were short one towel but I got a card from the front desk and by the time I went back to the room therer was a towel there. I could have made a bid deal but why I had three towels. Whenever I saw the gentleman who check us in he asked how thing were. I mentioned we still had a problem with ants and he tried to make arrangements for a special dinner. I thought this was very thoughful and the effort alone was appreciative. I don't remember his name but he was an older gentleman working prestige line at front desk on this date he must have been a manger of some sort as he was dressed up and wandering the lobby area checking in with quests. Anyway Thank you for taking the time to make sure thinks were ok.
Buffet is buffet something for everyone and if not they have the best bread ever. I am not fond of buffet but there was variety and even a small area for kids. Main buffet was noisy in the morning a lot of whistling etc. advertising he had coffee and alot of dish clatter. I found this annoying first think in the morning. I mentioned one morning and he toned it down. All staff very helpful. I think they all have there role because if you don't have a cup on your table coffe guy doesn't get a cup and bring you coffee. I noticed some guests being very rude in morning. I liked smaller buffet by beach for breakfast it had the basics made to order eggs, pastries, bread, fruit, cereal just not twenty varieties like at main buffet. Pizzeria was good but takes awhile. I liked this buffet for lunch as well offerred enough choice without having to go to main buffet and always burgers, fries and hotdogs. Those that complain meat not cooked just ask him too make it well done and he will. Those that workk the egg station and burger station very friendly again I don't know there names but Thanks I could not do your job. We had six a la carts they were fantastic and beautifully presented. There is a kids menu which is the same at all the a la carts. The Italian was slow some dishes were better than others We are Italian so probably their worst crictic. Everything was a bit salty I did not order pasta and enjoyed my meal. My parents order the same dish but it was two differnt sauces. We did not enjoy Mexican but we did not order Mexican food I had to make a last minute switch because they didn't have what I wanted I do not recommend the ribs very fatty and they were beef I don't think it said this on menu they just were not good in my opinion. Japanese was good our chef was not as showy as the chef doing another table but food was delicious and plenty of it. Dominican restauraunt was my favorite service quick and food delicious. Grill was also good it is same building that does small buffet at lunch. French was okay there appetizers were rolled up pieces of cold cuts not impressed. presentation and food not as good as other restauraunts and it was noisy with alot of dish clatter. The decor is very fancy and dishes don't coincide with it. The bar by the main buffet had the best coffee. Bring a bubba or insulated mug for early morning coffee as beach buffet only has plastic cups in the early morning at the self serve station. The snack bar at the theater needs work Main thing if you have nacho chips need to have salsa or something to dip. We did not have a late night arrival if we did this is your only place for food should offer a few more things for late night arrivals.
Shows were pretty good need bug spray there are ponds near resort that make this a problem. Many people with many welts. Show on beach with fire eater cool but need to build up stage or have seating so everyone can enjoy show of show, show on video screen.
Beach beautiful, pools nice. Main pool needs some TLC hard to figure out shallow areas for kids to swim and not just wade in. My son loved kids water park. Not much shade in this area or loungers. There is alot of stairs in pool area which were quite slippery. Need a few more loungers in pool areas and shade options.
This is a compact property the best thing is if it rains you don't need to get wet can walk everwhere except to beach restauraunt from inside. Beach towels were hard to come buy in evening but you were given a card for next day if you have an excursion keep your towels.
We walked to market next door and on the way back security flagged down bus entering property to bring us back to lobby again Thanks for the kind gesture.
This is an older property with charm if you take a second to look at the details and wood work. All week it seemed they were getting ready for prime season painting sidewalks, pool decks, elevators. We were at a 4 1/2 star new property last year so its difficult to compare I would say Rooms superior at Bahia a la carts far better at Barcelo. The people in the Dominican are always working hard to please and are amongst the friendliest I have met they work hard and long days it never hurts to say Thank you and treat them with respect. I witness a lot of demanding disrespectful people and I wonder if they were in their own country if they would behave in the same manner. don't like to go to the same place twice and for this reason I probably won't return to this property as teh beach was a little rough for me and my kids, but I would go back to a Barcelo and if the price was right I would return here.
Crish

Room Tip: Pick a top floor, building 2 is renovated.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank crish70
Dear Crish,
Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at the Barcelo Punta Cana.
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate all feedback.
We also are very pleased you enjoyed the all-inclusive program which includes a wide range of delicious food and beverage and the different activities. We sincerly appreciate your comments on the Italian, Tex Mex and Snack bar, which have been forwarded to our Chef for his consideration.
It is an honor to know that our staff is providing our guests with the natural warm and hospitality that characterize the Dominican people. Please be assured that your nice comments will be forward to our staff. They will be delighted to know that they are making a difference in each guest experience.
We thank you for taking your time sharing your opinion with us. Looking forward to welcoming you once again!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

If I could rate this resort 2.5 I would. We (a young couple) were supposed to go to Cuba, due to last minute increases in price our travel agent convinced us to go to the Barcelo with presitage class.

Check in was great- arrived at 4pm (check-in time) room was ready, no line good to go. Room was average, we were in room 3233, bathroom was in dire need of updating, very small. We had paid extra for "ocean view" this consisted of looking out over the pool and off to the left was the ocean. The door to our room was over the main buffet, we could hear all rattles of plates and talking, starting at 6am and going on until 11pm. It didn't bother us too much as we sleep easily with background noise, but I can see this bothering people.

We were told when booking with presitage class (told through our travel agent) this meant bottle of rum in room (turned out to be a tiny bottle), cocktail upon arrival (turned out ot be nasty juice), free wi-fi (nope, had to be "club premium"), 24 hour lounge (nope just club premium), must be a miscommunication somewhere as I see others were also mislead through travel agents.

The main buffet we found horrible, we've travelled to 4 all inclusives (2 in Mexico and 1 in Cuba) and this has the worst food ever. For breakfast we found the egg man (made eggs any way you'd like) which we stuck to, and had toast. We didn't eat lunch here as we were always by the pool stuck to burgers or the pizzeria. Supper we stuck to bread and butter. Things were either not labelled or misleading (with one of us having severe fish allergy we need to know exactly what is in all food). The pizzeria was the best food outside of an a la carte, wait could be lengthy but if your hungry it's worth it. We visited the French, Italian, Toyko and Dominican a la carte. They were all good, Dominican coming in last place.

Service- front desk was good, asked for wake up calls, recieved them, needed someone to come look at safe, was there within 10 minutes. They have the strangest dining service ever. In all other all inclusives we stay at when you dine you have servers, they bring you drinks, clear your plate, ask how it is, and you tip them. Well not here. At breakfast no one brings you drinks, someone different clears your plate each time, you never see the same person twice and you never know who to tip. Never did anyone ask us how supper was in the buffet, perhaps they know its best not to ask.

We had relatives staying a few resorts down whom we met up with half way through our stay, they said they also were disappointed in the food, and noticed and notcied how servers and workers are never SMILING! or happy to be there.

The beach is amazing, while we were there we had 2 red flag days, 2 ambers and 3 greens. It was perfect. This resort was the smallest one we've ever stayed at which was great, you could be at any part of the resort within 10 minutes. It needs a lot of TLC and could do with being shut for a few months to upgrade and do some well needed customer service trainig.

I work at a resort so I know some things are out of your control- if check-in time is 4 you cannot expect your room to be ready at noon just because you show up early, You cannot change the physical structure of the resort just to please a guest. If you are going to the Bareclo do not let bad reviews bring you down, some people are just rude and always have to criticize everything. We had a great stay because we were there to be with each other.

Would I go back to Punta Cana? Of course. Would i go back to Barcelo? Not anytime soon, perhaps in a few years when some upgrades have been done. Would i recommend it to others? no

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Lovetravelling987
barcelopc, Manager at Occidental Caribe, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Guest,
Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at Barcelo Punta Cana.
We would like to extend our most sincere apologies for any inconveniences or difficulties you may have experienced during your stay.
Concerning your comments about the quality of our food, we would like to point out that our menus are composed by carefully selected products, and done taking into consideration the diversity of our guests. Indeed, our satisfaction’s questionnaires always reflect high punctuations. Your observations are taking into great consideration and have been shared with our Chef for their analysis.
We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at Hotel, and that way be able to change any negative perception you may have about us.
Kind regards,
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

A large group of us (21) stayed at the Barcelo from 2/6 to 2/13. Check-in was fast and efficient and our rooms were all ready upon arrival, with fruit plate and champagna waiting for us! My room was 3203 - it was clean, updated, and had a great view of the "quiet pool" and that beautiful blue ocean. The elevator was working all day and night, no problem there! Our room was cleaned every day with a supply of fresh towels (tip your housekeeper, people!!!) and we left a note (with tip) on our mini fridge at the biginning of our stay asking for what we wanted (i.e. two waters, two diet Cokes, etc) - and we got everything we asked for every day!
As for the beach towles - there are two blue towels in your room upon arrival. After you use these on your first day at the pool/beach, turn them into the towel hut (before 6pm)and you will be given two "towel cards". The next morning, take the cards to the hut and get new beach towels for the day. It is all explained in the welcome packet, but I guess some don't bother to read it!

Most of the time, the shower was fine. There were a couple of occasions with low pressure and limited hot water, but in a resort that size, you have to expect this, especially when the restaurants are all running their dishwashers and all the guests are getting ready for dinner! The shower head is very adjustable, so you can aim it where it isn't going to flood your floor! Everything else in the room was clean and functional.

As for the food - you have to remember that you are in a different country, with different ingredients, and different ways of preparation. Some of the choices at the buffet were a little strange, but I never went hungry! The ala cartes were good with enough choices to please everyone. Most of the meals at the ala cartes were so big that I couldn't finish! As for the reservation process - just ask your on-site travel rep (Delta, etc.) to make your reservations for the week! That's what we did and never had to wait in that crazy line in the morning!
Some of the bartenders don't speak very much English, it's true, but they are friendly and eager to please. I never felt that I was being disrespected at any time by anyone at this resort.

The disco smelled bad and, on the two nights we dropped in there, was only playing Russian dance music...there are a LOT of Russian guests at this hotel and in the area in general, so mabe they are being catered to a bit? It's ok, there usually wasn't anyone at the "Sports Bar" at night, so our group would have the place to ourselves! There is kareoke in the left lobby bar every-other night..and a local female singer on the other nights...so if you're not up for it, go to the right lobby bar! There was always something to do in the evening!

I didn't get a message, but most of the group I was with did, and they all said it was great!

All-in-all, it was a great trip! Make sure you book a room in buildings 1 - 3 and go to your orientation appointment the morning after you arrive (your "welcome packet" will have your time/location written on it - so READ YOUR WELCOME PACKET!)

Don't let these negative reviews scare you. Walk in with a smile and an open mind and you will have a great trip!

Room Tip: Ask your on-site travel rep to book your dinner reservations, save yourself some hassel!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank itsmeSue42
Dear Sue,
It's a pleasure to know that you had a good time with us and you will keep a good memory of Punta Cana and our Hotel.
Yours sincerely,
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

I had planned to go away on vacation with a girlfriend of mine between January 26 - February 2nd, 2013. Our plan was to book an all-inclusive resort a few days before we departed in hopes for a good deal. Rookie mistake - prices will not be lower during peak season if you go this route! We had our eye on a few resorts but by the time we were ready to book, the packages were already sold. We quickly selected Barcelo Punta Cana because we had both stayed at this chain in Costa Rica and I had a good experience with it in Cancun.

After we booked the trip with our travel agent, we came on Trip Advisor and were quiet shocked by the negative reviews this resort received. Dirty rooms? Maids stealing clothes? Rude staff? Terrible food? We were both worried about what we signed up for but told each other that we would make the best of the situation.

Dirty rooms? - the building we were in was outdated. I will admit that it was the worst room I have stayed in, and I've been to a lot of all inclusive resorts. The tiling and the bathroom were what made me feel a bit uncomfortable because I really enjoy cozy accommodations. THE GOOD: the bed mattresses were VERY comfortable and in the end, isn't a comfortable sleep the most important aspect of a bedroom?

Maids stealing? - we decided to avoid any stress about this and brought locks for our suitcases and lived out of them for the week. Problem solved! THE GOOD: we brought gifts and money for our maid and left her friendly notes in Spanish. By the end of the week we stopped locking up all of our belongings because we trusted her.

Rude staff? - these comments blow my mind. All of the wait staff were incredibly friendly! For example, in the buffet I was scopping ice cream out of the freezer and the container it was in kept moving around making it difficult for me. A waiter walking past me with a trolly of plates stopped and held the container down until I was finished scooping. It was the kindest gesture. I encourage you to ignore everyone who has complained about rude staff because I want to ask them - were you at all friendly to them yourself? Whenever I would see another traveller demanding a drink at the bar, or ordering an omelette from the chef without saying "please" or "thank you", my friend and I would joke that, "THOSE are the people writing nasty reviews on trip advisor!". Put yourself in their position. I would want people to treat me with respect if I spent 12 hours behind a hot stove cooking eggs.

Terrible food? - Like any resorts I've been to, I try to find "safe" foods early on in the week and stick to them. Breakfast - fresh omelettes made by the chef (really friendly man if you smile at him), fresh fruit and a bun. Lunch - avoid the buffet and get fresh pizza made in the hut by the beach on the top level. We found out about this near the end of our trip and wish we ate here all week! Dinner - the seafood restaurant is delicious. We did get tired of the buffet by the end of our trip so try to book a la cartes as much as possible. You can go to the lobby each morning and check on any openings for that evening.

My highlights:
Beach - ABSOLUTLY STUNNING! White sand beach and clear blue water. The water had a lot of waves but they were fun to swim into. This was nicer than the beach in Varadero.
Nightly Entertainment - the Michael Jackson and the Saturday Night Fever shows were the best ones. Where bug spray in the ampitheatre, this is where we got bitten the most.
Disco - it's downstairs beside the lobby. We walked in there one night right when it opened and it was dead. Maybe it got better later on but we didn't stick around.

Overall, I say go into this vacation expecting "the worst" and you will have a great time. You have to trust that these reviews are subjective and although you may find that you agree with them, like I did about the rooms, if you accept that that's what you may get you won't be surprised. Instead, you have the advantage of knowing ahead of time and can try to focus on the good when you are there.

booked this resort last minute with a girlfriend of mine

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
15 Thank MissMia321
barcelopc, Manager at Occidental Caribe, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear MissMia,
Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at the Barcelo Punta Cana.
We thank you for taking your time sharing your opinion with us which we will take in the highest consideration.
Looking forward to welcoming you once again!