“A Wedding in Paradise!”

Occidental Caribe
Ranked #63 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
“A Wedding in Paradise!”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Last week my daughter got married at the Barceló Premium in Punta Cana. The wedding was absolutely beautiful. The wedding coordinator at the hotel is a sweetheart. She was very organized and very helpful. I started planning the Wedding group travel in March of 2012 and Ariana answered every e-mail I sent within 1 day of my sending the e-mail. Every question was answered professionally and she always offered useful suggestions to make the day truly special for my daughter and son-in-law. Last year a friend of mine got married at Dreams La Romana and although her wedding was beautiful I don't think her wedding coordinator could have been any better than Ariana. Bravo Ariana! Muchas Gracias.

Ok, now my review of the hotel. We stayed in the "Prestige" section. I was very happy with my room. The majority of the wedding group were happy with their rooms and if they had an issue the front desk staff offered a solution as quickly as possible. I will say that being a Spanish student helped me communicate with the staff much more effectively. It seemed that if you respectfully tried to communicate with them they went out of their way to help. The Dominicans do their best but people need to remember that they also try to speak Russian, French and other Eastern European languages when their mother tongue is Spanish! They aren't even taught English in their public school system. If they want to learn English formally they must go to a private school which most can't afford. Otherwise they learn while they are dealing with tourists.

Although the "prestige" section is rated 4.5 stars I would say it is 4 star and the standard section is 3.5 stars. I thought the "a la carte" restaurants were good and I thought the main buffet was good as well. Don't miss the "Tokyo" Japanese restaurant.

As the mother of the groom said in the previous review Neilson was amazing. We met Neilson at the main buffet but he served us at the wedding dinner as well. He indeed took care of "the family"! I think could take a lesson or two from Neilson about customer service.

Last but not least way my new friend Riena at the front desk. Muchas Gracias Riena por todas!

I would not hesitate to go back to this resort again. If you understand that it isn't a 4 star you will appreciate it. You could not ask for a better beach!

2 Thank 1000islandgirlx
barcelopc, Manager at Occidental Caribe, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear guest,
In the name of our entire staff, we thank you for highlighting out the excellent service of our friendly staff. Thank you for naming those who made a difference during your visit, like Ariana, Nelson and Reyna.
Please do not hesitate to contact us prior your next visit.
Yours Sincerely,
Sandy Pfeil

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,230)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Bradford West Gwillimbury, Canada
Reviewed February 8, 2013

My husband and 2-year old at the time booked this hotel last minute and it was worth it for the price we paid. I will go over the good and the bad based on my experience:

-Beach - clean, crystal clear, soft sand. Loved it!!!!! The only issue was can't be controlled is when there is a strong undertoe. It is not safe. I saw some other parents letting there LO s go in and I was horrified!
-Water park - very fun for all our daughter!
-Pools - okay so there is good and bad here. the pool by the water park is quieter probably because there is no pool bar. However there is a bar out of the water, but not in the water which make a big difference. It is also cleaner than the second pool.
The pool with the pool bar is nuts. The entertainment staff are doing their programming which is really fun. And then there is a happening pool bar which is good too, but just beware if you have little ones hanging around. After lunch it gets crazy. I saw a group of young adults getting really drunk and even witnessed two of them puke and pass out just outside the pool. I must also point out that security came right away and took them away and threatened to kick them out of the resort for their carelss behaviour. The mess was cleaned up immediately. I also saw a young couple get into a physical altercation but again, security was close by and cleared it away. I never saw them again so I am not sure what happened.
Food: not the best but we all found something to eat. Our tummies were alittle upset by the end of the trip but that is a combo of a poor week long diet and lots of sun. The al la cartes were okay. I liked the italien best.
Nightlife - well we had a kid with us but there is a disco, casino and sports bar. We hanged out at the lobby bar mostly after diner. The bar tender was rude to us and i really don't know why.We tipped, said please and thank u, spoke as much spanish as we could. One night we asked him what would make him happy and he told us he wanted my husbands shoes...wierd. I guess just like anywhere else in the world, grumpy pants are here too!

I am writing this really late and since then I have been to a few five star resorts so my standards have increased. I probably would not go back anytime soon. If you have an open mind and aren't super picky. You will totally enjoy this place. Everyone has there own opinion and experiences. But i would reccomend this to a family as a good priced resort for families. Just stay away from the pool bar area with you have the kiddies with you!!!

Room Tip: Book with Air Transat and you get the newer section of the resort and 5 prebooked dinners at the al...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Cattielovestotravel
barcelopc, Manager at Occidental Caribe, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Cattie,
First of all we thank you for choosing our hotel Barcelo Punta Cana for your holidays and for the time you took to share your review with the Tripadvisor community.
Please be sure that your observations are taking into great consideration for their analysis, in order to improve the points you mentioned.
We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at Barcelo Punta Cana to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities and change any negative perception you may have about us
We will be honored to welcome you back. Do not hesitate to contact us prior your next visit.
Warm regards,
cornwall, on
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Just returned from the Barcelo on Feb. 03. We were there for my sons wedding. It's not the cleanest resort but it's not the dirtiest we ever stayed at. There is a BIG language barrier as not enough of their staff speak English but my only issue with this place is the front desk...they are under staffed and very slow. We are use to receiving our room keys as we get off the bus from the airport and we are used to servers bringing us our drinks at the beach and by the pools. I guess we got spoiled at our last resort in Mexico last year. Overall this was a very nice resort and all our family members enjoyed it. The little issues were the front desk...so slow and no order or line ups...just everybody making their own lines to get to their room keys. The restaurant staff are also slow at clearing the dirty dishes and bringing clean utensils. We made friends with NILSON and he made sure "the Family" got everything they wanted. He was the most efficient one there. We would return but maybe in a few years after they get a few things worked out. Our room 1223 was very clean, no bugs, lots of hot water at anytime of the day. Arriana the wedding co-ordinator was awesome and made our son's wedding very memorable. She was great. The food we would say was OK not the best but it was edible. The pools were nice and the beach spectacular...the colours of the water are undiscribable...so beautiful and the sand so fine. This resort needs work but with the right management and more renovations and a good cleaning, it could be a 5*...not now but maybe in the future. I would love to own it...I know exactly what it needs.

Room Tip: Get a Prestige room, they still could use some renovations but are much nicer than the other rooms...
4 Thank travelbugCornwall_On
Dear guest,
First of all thank you for having chosen Barcelo Punta Cana as your holiday destination.
We want you to know, that your opinion is very important and valuable to us. For this reason, your comments are taken with special consideration as they help us identifying our improvement areas, giving us the opportunity to correct them, and thus achieve to offer our guests a service of the highest quality.
We apologize for the impression you could perceive for the language barrier with some of our staff members. Please allow us to inform you that most of our employees have good knowledge on many languages, such as English, French, Italian, German, Portuguese, Russian and so on; and our Human Resources Department is constantly offering courses to all our staff to reinforce the level of conversation, especially to those in direct contact with our guests. However, please be reminded that Spanish is our mother tongue and our knowledge and/or pronunciation of a foreign language might not be perfect.
We look forward to welcoming you on a future occasion, in this way show our commitment for service and customer satisfaction, and quality assurance stamp of our family Barceló Hotels & Resorts.
Sincerely
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I stayed at the Barcelo punta cana with my boyfriend in the mid january. This was my first trip anywhere tropical so i don't have much to compare to. I thought the beach was unreal, nice white sand, and crystal clear water. The resort you can tell is dated, and needs some TLC. But it was far from terrible. I thought the staff was very friendly, always asking how we were.. especially one bar tender caesar!!!! we loved him. Such a friendly face! I thought this resort was very kid friendly.. not that we have kids, but we kept thinking how there was so many activities for them to do and a huge kids pool. Overall it was a great stay i thought, food was good, staff was friendly, beautiful beaches, hot weather.. what more do you need? I recommend the catalina island tour to anyone that goes to punta cana, it was the most amazing thing i have ever seen.. BEAUTIFUL!

Would definitely be going back to Punta cana, but will probably choose a different resort.

Room Tip: We stayed in 2205! Stay in the renovated rooms. Apparently they are quite a bit nicer.
5 Thank Sara C
barcelopc, Manager at Occidental Caribe, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear Sara,
In the name of our entire staff, we thank you for highlighting out the excellent service of our friendly staff. Thank you for naming those who made a difference during your visit, like Cesar.
Please do not hesitate to contact us prior your next visit.
Yours Sincerely,
Regina, Canada
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I stayed here with my husband and another couple from January 13-27, 2013. I had read the reviews ahead of time and they weren't great but I always try to keep an open mind when I go on vacation. Upon arrival, check in was a little long, probably around 20 minutes before everything was sorted out. We asked to be in a room close to our friends and they put us in rooms right beside each other which was nice. When we got to our rooms, it turned out that we had two double beds instead of a king so that was a bit annoying. We called the front desk and they said we would have to stay there overnight and then we could switch the next day at 3pm. Our arrival was late, around 10pm and there wasn't anywhere for us to eat. The front desk staff said that the theater had a snack buffet that would open at 11pm so we had a few drinks and waited for that. The food that was at the buffet was pretty gross and random. Tortilla chips (no salsa or guacamole or any type of sauce for that matter), some sort of meat on a stick, hot dogs, ham and cheese sandwiches and some sort of deep fried chicken parts. Needless to say we went to bed hungry.

After that first impression, I was afraid the trip was going to be a disaster, but it actually turned out to be pretty good. Our room got switched no problem and had no other room issues at all. We stayed in section 1 and our room number was 1205. I would recommend sections 1 or 2 being the best since they are renovated. That being said, the hotel is old and tired and needs a bit of a face lift but our room was cleaned every day and the bed was very comfortable. Probably the most comfortable bed I've stayed in on any vacation. Our friends did have issues with no hot water but maintenence came and fixed it for them.

Some of the best things about this resort are: the beach-it's by far the best stretch of beach with powdery white sand and clear blue water. It is a bit wavy but we did have some calm days too. Also, the pizza restaurant above the beach/pool buffet is awesome!! I don't know why some reviewers said it was bad, we ate at this place 4 times during our trip. I definitely think this is a hidden gem of the Barcelo Punta Cana. We also ate at all of the A la Carte restaurants and they were all great. I had heard horror stories about the food in the Dominican and how people get sick all the time, and I was pleasantly surprised by how good the food was. My husband and I had one day where our stomachs didn't feel great but it wasn't enough to keep us in our rooms!

We were asked to fill out a comment card at dinner one night so we did and we put our room numbers down too. The management actually called our room later the next evening to discuss our comments. This makes me want to believe that they are trying to make some improvements about service there.

People need to tip the staff more! They work really hard especially in the buffet and the housekeepers. We tipped at every meal and for most drinks and hardly anyone else was tipping. I actually found that many of the guests were very rude to not only staff but also other guests, butting in lines and being wasteful. I have been to several all inclusive trips in Mexico and Cuba and have never seen behavior like this from other guests!

All in all, this was a relaxing trip for my husband, our friends and I. I do not go on vacation to hang out in my room. As long as it's clean and there is running water, It's good enough for me. I do think a little bit extra training for the staff and some small changes would start to turn this hotel around. One tip would be to make the drinks fresh by using blenders and real fruit instead of relying on premade slush mixtures. The machines can never keep up in the heat which results in watery drinks that are not even frozen at all. Their mudslides however, are delicious:)

Room Tip: Room 1205 was good for us.
3 Thank Erin R
barcelopc, Manager at Occidental Caribe, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Erin,
We would like to thank you for highlighting our comfortable beds, a la carte restaurants and our Pizzeria.

Warm regards,
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I had never been on a vacation such as this one and my husband said he wanted a Barcelo hotel in the Domincan so this is the one we chose. I just read all the reviews on here and I honestly cannot understand why the resort they described seems so different from the one we just spent a week in. I will admit there were a few things I would have wanted to change however I had nothing to compare it to and it seemed like a wonderful vacation to me. Someone was always willing to help, give fresh towels, clean up dishes, serve drinks, food was always available, the a la carte restaurants were great, etc. The things I would change are: change the resort to non smoking as I am not a smoker and people smomimng right beside me bothered me a lot, consistent hot water in the rooms (sometimes turned cold and the pressure was also not consistent), I would also like for the people selling souvenirs at the tables to back off a bit, they didn't give us a chance to look before they were already putting things in bags for us and we were made to feel guilty for not buying or not wanting to pay what the asking price was, the food at the buffets was pretty good although not the best but the service was top-notch, I would say that Canadian servers etc could learn a thing or two from them for sure. Also, the drinks seemed to be quite watered down, the wine didn't taste like wine I can get here in canada, and the noise at night was quite irritating. They don't seem to be allowed to change money for you at the desk which was a disappointment and it would be awesome if more people spoke english as my spanish is very limited. However - the beaches and pool were fantastic, the service was outstanding, the food was more or less quite good and available all the time, the one tour we took was pretty good too. Everyone there was very friendly, the Transat people whom we spoke to and asked questions of were great too and very informative and helpful. As I said the beaches were great and by the time we left I was quite sad, it seemed as if we were leaving family. Our room was always tidied and we were pleased to leave tips for the housekeeping staff. Our safe always worked, our minibar was refreshed every day, new towels were left for us every day as well. Overall I was quite pelased. Some parts of the trip weren't ideal however I wasn't expecting to be catered to completely and in a country such as this, we cannot expect everything to be the way it is here. And as I said, we can defimnitely learn from the Domincans in customer service as I have never seem anything like it :) we already plan to take another trip, possibly to this same resort next January. I outlined the things that could have been improved but over all we were not disappointed in the money we spent. The worst part was the trip home - a long lineup at the airport, another long lineup at the security (probably because a lot of all-inclusives were leaving at the same time and arriving at the airport at the same time). The airplane ride was long and another long lineup through security etc and waiting for luggage once we hit Canadian soil. But over all, a great vacation that I would do again in a heartbeat :)

Room Tip: Choose oceanfront room, it was awesome. Rooms on one side were quieter since they are not by the cas...
2 Thank Jacqueline T
Dear Jaqueline,
Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at the Barcelo Punta Cana. Thank you for choosing Barcelo Punta Cana for your holidays and for the time you spent sharing your review with other travelers on Tripadvisor.com.
We are happy to read that your recent stay at our resort was overall what you expected and we thank you for your valuable comments.
Be sure that all supervisors have been informed about the recommendations that you have highlighted and we are already fine tuning our hotel operation accordingly.
Thanks again and will be a pleasure to have you back.
Sincerely yours,
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 3, 2013

This place doesn't even deserve one star. This was the worst vacation I had ever been on and couldn't wait to get home. Don't believe any of those high star reviews this place is atrocious. A little background to our visit is we were here to celebrate a family members birthday as a surprise so we needed to make the best of the options and the time we shared. I find that a lot of other travelers had similar experiences as well. If you are ok with any of the following than this place is just right for you.

First, we arrive pleasantly happy with a great flight and car service ride to the hotel. Upon entry, we're greeted with some nice refreshments which is great until we reach check-in. The front desk is a mess took about a half hour to wait for a person to speak meanwhile we were the only group that was waiting on line at the time. When each of us approach the desk we're told our rooms are not ready and to come back at 4pm go and enjoy some food and come back. We were all hungry so at that point it wasn't a bad idea however the buffets and restaurants start preparing for dinner so there wasn't any food at the main buffet, the buffet near the pool, and the "snack bar" had barely anything we finally decided to go to the pizza place. The pizza definitely tasted gross and almost everyone left most of what they ordered. Only being here for this short time has already given me the bad vibe of "this is going to be a longgggg weekend".

Our first experience of the food wasn't great but we still had hope that maybe it wasn't all bad. We go back to reception and were finally given our keys and told our luggage would arrive there in the next few mins. My BF and I asked if our room had a safe and if its functioning. The reception person proceeded to to tell us that yes the room had a safe and all we had to do was dial "0" from the room to get a code from the operator. At this point, my BF and I look at each other thinking, "are you serious this chick thinks we're that stupid is just crazy". It gets better, we get to our room that sort if looks okay until you really look at it. Our phone smells, yes smells, like wet never washed rag, the floors were dirty, our refrigerator didn't work, and no hot water at all. Then, we notice no luggage and we wait just in case our luggage arrives. We head next door to another family members room same thing dirty floors, smaller double bed room for two kids and two adults, a crib that was dirty and broken with a screw hanging out and pieces of sheet rock that fell from somewhere. We all went to the reception desk to request for our luggage and other rooms. We were told the hotel was fully booked and we couldn't change rooms. Our luggage was all perfectly stacked with all our rooms tags on it in the same place it was when we had just got there 2hrs prior all by themselves. All the people that got there after us got their luggage to their room but yet we who got there earlier had our luggage just sitting there I had to call for a bell man and advise to please take it to the rooms. As the saga continues, we can't make reservations to any of the restaurants because they're "booked". You can only reserve the day of and then when you go during the early morning they still say its booked. Don't believe the hype because these places are empty which I'm sure they do because they don't have the resources to cater to large groups of people. That evening we went to the only place open for dinner the main dining buffet that appeared to have decent choices however the food was gross for the exception of the soup. We decide let's get a drink and what do you know the drinks are awful too. The guys just decided to buy a bottle of whisky so they could enjoy something and the girls just drank the premade mix of piña colada. Going to sleep was the only relief of the day.

The next entire morning was spent fighting with hotel personnel to get a dinner together since the whole purpose was to celebrate a birthday all together. After all the aggravation we decide let's try to relax and enjoy the weather. The pool was ice cold the "hot tubs" were not working or clean better off at the beach the water was nice and warm waves were a little high but nice. We return to our rooms and surprise no towels but at least we have hot water yayyyyy. We ended up getting our towels at around 6pm so we shower and get ready. We finally get to the reservation and when we went the girl says its for 8:30pm not 8pm and they still had to setup the table. We come back at 8:30pm the table is still not set we wait some more then get seated. We found our reservation ticket that said 8pm so the girl lied about the time. Moving on, the food was ok we were just happy to sit and eat. After dinner we didn't really have anything to do and they barely have any evening activities. Basically, the food was terrible no matter what we tried, the drinks were gross, no hot water, horrible customer service, no working fridge, dirty rooms and to top it off half the group got sick from the food. No matter how many times any of us complained it never made a difference. In the end, we just settled for the bad service and poor conditions and just waited for the days to get back home.

WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!! Can't imagine who would ever want this kind of vacation.

4 Thank Jessica A
Dear Jessica,
Thank you for choosing Barcelo Punta Cana for your holidays. In the name of our entire staff, we want to thank you for taking time to share your review with other travelers.
We regret to hear that our gastronomy offer at our restaurants didn’t fulfill your expectations. Please allow us to inform you that our menus in each of our restaurants are composed by carefully selected products, and done taking into consideration the diversity of our guests from all over the world. Indeed, our satisfaction’s questionnaires always reflect high punctuations.
We take all guest feedback very seriously because we want improve with you, and we're constantly changing all aspects of our service and facilities. Thank you to give us your honest point of view about our entire property and services. Be sure that all supervisors have been informed about the issues you faced during your stay with us and we are already fine tuning our hotel operation accordingly. On behalf of the entire Barcelo Punta Cana staff, please accept our apologize for any discomfort you may have encountered.

Kind regards