“Simply Amazing!!!!”
Review of Occidental Caribe

Occidental Caribe
Ranked #60 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I have to say when i booked my vacation i was a little worried. I had read some of the reviews and was a little put off by them. I was so glad that i listened to my husband and just booked. This was our first time to DR.

Checking in/out - checking in was smooth. we checked in on a friday at 3:30pm and in our rooms within 15 min and mosthly becasue we were asking questions about the resort. i did however see the lines longer on saturday. So i guess the wait would vary on the day you arrive. Check out was super easly, just turned in my key and done.

Rooms - we had two rooms (2105 and 2108) near the casino. It was perfect, it offered a view of the pool and ocean. room was standard, with flat screen, mini bar (stocked with beer, water, sodas and apple juice), and banana chips. The room was clean and spacious. they even provided us with robes and slippers.

Food - The food was good. we mainly ate at the buffet, breakfast was the best. fresh fruit juices every morning. we did try the jananesse restaraunt which was excellent! and the Marlin restaraunt was just O.K

Beach and Pool - The Beach was nice, super clean and plenty of chairs. Crystal blue waters and powder sand. Plenty of shade and sun for sunbathing. the only problem is that the current was a little strong and if you are not a swimmer maybe you should stick to the pool. The pools were so much fun. we manly stayed at the main pool with swim up bar. they had music playing and the entertainment staff always had some activity for the adults.

Entertainment - there was always something to do! Lots of activities by the beach, nightly entertainment was good and the disco was fun.

Excursion - we did the Buggies VIP ($75 pp), it was super fun, we drove to a secluded beach and a lagoon inside a cave. They provided us with drinks. We also did the sightseeing to Santo Domingo ($80pp). This is an all day trip ( about 12 hrs), you are taken to museums, shopping and a cave. a must do, if its your first time to DR.

Casino - the only bad thing about the resort. Its super small, half of the slots are not working and wont accept your bills. We are big casino fans and would have liked if it was a bit bigger with updated slots. but like i told my family, if we wanted slots we should have gone to Vegas.

Resort grounds - Super clean! this is a big resort and i was amazed how clean it was. there was always someone cleaning right after you. Staff was nice and friendly.

overall, this was an amazing trip. A great place for families on a budget! I highly recommend it. If your looking for a 4 star resort then this isnt the place for you. If you are looking for paradise but dont want to break the bank then Barcelo is your place!

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room then room on the 2100 block would be best.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Janet A

Reviewed November 19, 2012

My family stayed for five days in August,2012. This was our annual family vacation. I stood on line to check in for close an hour. The rooms were absolutely horrible. The furniture was soiled with black stains. The bathroom had leaks and a mold- like appearance on the walls. I was unable to get a blanket and given extra sheets instead. The sheets had ants. The bed mattress was old and lumpy. The food in the main restaurant was terrible. I wrote a long email upon return home and received a response basically with an offer to " do better next time" Next time?. Never.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Cheryl P
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Barcelo is gorgeous resort both in the pictures online and in person. However, the beauty of the location hides some terrible flaws. Check in takes forever. There were 3 people at the desk, with one person fluent in English. It's as if the three working together gave you one person doing check-ins. There were only 5 people ahead of us. After about an hour of waiting, my wife and I were given our room key. We climbed 4 flights of stairs because the elevators were not working. We reached the fourth floor and when we opened the room door, we were greeted by people who were already in the room. Imagine our and their surprise. We had to go back down the stairs with our luggage to the front desk and wait another 30 minutes for another room. This second room was on the third floor towards the back of the resort. The smell of mold hit us once we stepped onto the floor. When we opened the door the smell was overwhelming. By the way, rather than giving us one bed we were given separate twin beds covered with wet sheets. So, we went right back down the stairs to the front desk. After waiting another 20 minutes, we were given another room. I asked the guy to confirm that the room had one bed because we were married and that the room wasn't mold infested. He apologized for our frustration and assured us that we would be satisfied with the room. We climbed the stairs back to the fourth floor with our luggage to a room with two twin beds... I called down to the front desk & informed the guy that we had twin beds. His response was, "I'm sorry, I will have to wait for my supervisor...." We decided that we had enough of a workout. We pushed the two beds together (which were different heights).

We could hear everything happening in the room next door because of incomplete room ceilings. We could also hear everything in front of the room because there was no door stopper. We locked our door and went to sleep. When we woke up, our door was unlocked. We called the front desk to find out if housekeeping came in the room and they said no. The next night, we locked the door and put the do not disturb sign on it. When we woke up, our door was unlocked again and the do not disturb sign was removed. Don't take a hot shower for longer than 5 minutes. The water will just shut off on you.

The food was bad, and I'm not being critical when I say that. There is an abundance of food at the buffet. Most of it can't be eaten by people with functioning taste buds. The pool is nice but there aren't any jets filtering the pool water (make sure you don't open your eyes or mouth in that pool). All you'll see is clumpy stuff floating in it.

The staff is very helpful and always available. That is the best thing I can say about this resort. Our best moments on this trip were the excursions.

The cost of this all inclusive is not worth the difference of staying in a nice hotel and paying for your own food/drinks.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DMerrin
Reviewed November 16, 2012

This was our first trip to the DR. This resort provided the perfect vacation. Gorgeous grounds. Good food. Extremely clean. Very very nice personnel. The beds and pillows were SO comfortable I slept in as late as my teens! Beaches and pools were great. No need to rush down at dawn to reserve chairs - there are plenty. Awesome pool bar employees. Always smiling and attentive. Definitely going back :)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Susan W
Reviewed November 12, 2012

With a little better management, this resort could be great. The room was spacious and clean, a few ants but only if you left food out.
1. There is only one place to get poolside towells, and it's at the far end of the three pools; a long walk if your room is at the other end.
2. The elevators only worked about 70% of the time. No excuse for a resort this size!
3. The Tokoyo restaurant waters down the wine they serve. Again, no excuse.
4. NONE of the 3 jacuzzi tubs worked AT ANY TIME!
5. At busy check-in or checkout times there were not enough desk clerks, I saw people wait in line for over half an hour just to check in.
6. No beach service for drinks or food.
7. The hotel is VERY NOISY at night , especially if you are anywhere near the central section. They have karioke at night and the volume is VERY LOUD.
Overall, though, I enjoyed my stay. The surf at this part of the beach is not appropriate for small children and the currents are swift. You can;t actually "swim" out in the water because of the wave action.
The price is good, the food is good for the price, and the beach is wide and beautiful.
For sunbathing and sitting around the pool this is a great resort.
Good luck!

Room Tip: Don't pay for the upgrade, it's not worth it. Make sure you have ocean FRONT not ocean VIEW...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank SusanCinLouisville
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Our trip to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic was nice but the resort not happy with at all. We stayed at the Barcelo Punta Cana. The room was lovely but we had 3 days with no hot water and not advised there was a problem. I inquired 5 times before the front desk told me they were working on the problem. The main pool was closed for 6 of our days there. We asked 4 times for the light on our balcony to be fixed but it never got fixed. Spent a lot of money for an experience which was not very good. We actually got very board wish we had stayed at a different resort. Will never go there again.

Room Tip: Our room over looked the secondary pool and we had an Ocean view which was nice.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 8, 2012

This was my first trip to an all-inclusive resort and I'm so glad I chose this one. I took my daughter for her 16th birthday and we had an amazing time! The staff was wonderful, friendly and helpful. The resort was beautiful and clean.
There was so much to do and a lot of entertainment so you will never find yourself bored... you will find that there is something for everyone, the beautiful beach, the pool bar with a stage and constant entertainment, parasailing, scuba diving, snorkeling, relaxing massages on the beach and so much more. They also have a photo shop and they walk around with parrots and monkeys and take your picture. The pictures are available for purchase later on in the day (they start at $15 USD for a 5x7).
The food was surprisingly very good... I always have my doubts about buffets, but this was excellent. They also have cook to order stations for omelettes (breakfast) and pasta or meats/fish (dinner). We didn't eat in the main buffet for lunch... we ate at El Marlin for lunch. El Marlin has burgers, hot dogs and fries plus a nice buffet of Dominican food and a sandwich bar. We were able to get reservations at 2 À la carte restaurants Conuco (Dominican) and Roma (Italian). They were both very good and I recommend them both, but I'm Italian and have grown up with the BEST Italian food so I'm very selective when it comes to a red sauce... the red sauce is mediocre so order something else. The steak was excellent at both and my daughter LOVED the fish at Conuco!
Our room was very nice... we upgraded to premium based on the reviews here and didn't really have any issues. There was a leak in the bathroom, but one quick call to the front desk and it was fixed. We had amazing views of the ocean and pool.
I can't say enough about the Dominican people... they are just amazing! They work so hard and they are always happy and singing! It really was a nice change for us being from the Boston area where people aren't so friendly or happy! If I can give any advice to someone coming to this resort it would be to be courteous and TIP the staff! A few dollars goes a long way and I know that gratuity is included in the package, but if someone provides a service for you, show appreciation and tip them. We did go off the resort a few times and it really made me appreciate all that we have been blessed with.
The sun rises over the water here so it is a must see... when you walk onto the beach take a right and walk all the way down to the Majestic resort (this is where the best view is). The sun looks like it rises right out of the water and is just amazing!
Check in was a little rough... it wasn't really organized and it took a while to get someone to assist us. We had been traveling for about 14 hours in total so we really wanted to just freshen up and start our vacation. It was a little inconvenient, but all in all no big deal.
I posted this as a trip with friends and not family because my daughter is older. I saw a lot of families there and it looked like a nice resort for families as well. Lots of stuff for kids to do.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends