“excellent vacation i love barcelo punta cana resort”
Review of Occidental Caribe

Occidental Caribe
Ranked #63 of 114 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I have been travelling to many different countries for many years ,but coming to dominica republic is an exception, i love everything about the country and the people.the land scape is very beautiful , the people are very very friendly and courtious at the resort i met some of the most warm, loving ,genorous ,kind and friendly staff .my first contact was bell boy ARIEL,he provide me with excellent service then i went to the bar and met arnaldo he make the best drink then lady at the internet cafe joanna castillo was very helpful in serving me also kenya overall everyone derserve a taste of my review but these people selected in the above sentence in the best i will alway remember my stay here and i will return soon.

Room Tip: 3 nd 4 floor
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank rodney w
Write a ReviewReviews (9,735)

Reviewed October 3, 2012

I'm a 26 year old canadian who has traveled a lot (over 10 tropical/Caribbean spots and to over 8 states). Im not picky but I will gross out over the same things as an average person will. (hair in the drain, poorly kept grounds, Gray food etc..) I'm not old were I expect high class and catering or even silence. My husband (of 7 years) and i bought this hotel on HOTWIRE. when we arrived the hotel layout was hard to figure out (but don't worry it gets understandable after the first day) so after day 1 my husband was in love. (it took me a few day longer) I thought the reason he was all "awww & oohh" about it was because it was half price from Jamaica. but I must say the food was really good, the grounds were always getting cleaned, the servers were nice (you tip the servers/barkeeps a dollar and they will remember you the whole trip) the nightly entertainment was awesome good. the beach was beautiful. (donot be afraid to walk from 1 end of the beach to the other) 1 thing i have too say is: there was construction happening on the way to the hotel so it scared us into thinking that our hotel was going to be ugly but this is not the case. you may think that the flee markets are someplace hidden in the middle of the town but really they are like a ten minute bus ride. what I'm trying to say, is we felt super safe and when we left D.R we felt like there was so much more to do and see. Anyway we are making our second trip back to the same hotel with our 5 & 3 year old may 2013. This has to say a lot, being that we never went back to any of our other destinations. My husband loved it and most of all I loved it. And we are trusting it so much that we are taking our 2 most prized possessions with us.Happy traveling.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
13  Thank Elizabeth G
Reviewed October 3, 2012

That resort is from far the best one we've visited over the last couple of years. The numerous on-site activities were cool and appreciated. The pools and public areas were clean and we could feel the efforts the staff was putting in place in order to keep the whole property at its best. The food was good, the room, spacious and nicely renovated. The beach was simply the best we've ever seen at a resort. All in all, a great trip in a great hotel and we'll consider going back, for sure!

Room Tip: Building 3, ocean side!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank TravelHeroMtl
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We just got back from Barcelo Prem. What a wonderful place! It was our honeymoon. As soon as we got in we noticed our AC was not working and the Toilet handle was broken. We talked to Alexander the manager and he was so helpful and nice that he upgraded our room to the Suite and included champagne, flowers in our room, fresh fruit and Wi-Fi the entire time we were there. This was above and beyond anything we would ever expect!!! This is an example of how you are treated at this wonderful place. Alexander made sure the rest of our honeymoon was going wonderful and explained that he and his crew would never want you to experience a bad time here. We will defiantly be back next year. I would recommend this resort over the Hard Rock hands down.

Room Tip: Location of the Hotel is right on the water so any room will work.
3  Thank Jon M
Reviewed September 27, 2012

It was my first time at this Resort but was "THE BEST MY HONEYMOON" The first day was awsome we got drunk by the pool bar with the 2 training bar tenders and their boss we had a blasss The mamajuana knock me down I think the training waitress should come back they know how to please the visitors. We enjoyed to the max too much drinkssss, too much food, The mirador restaurant was spectacular in food and service the lady waitres Yaniry was great just like the other ones and the gentleman waitres was great, they really know how to please you to the max.The other Restauants were great too the Dominican,Tokio was spetacular o and Rome was great. Doroteo at the Bar Pisina was great too he got my new husband drunkkkk in the Buffet the personnel was always really nice the guy who cook your eggs uhh
the Internet room Joanna Castillo was really nice with her assistance w/my laptop and signing to the webb I recomment this place don't listen to who ever say is bad come see for your self
come and enjoy with BARCELO PUNTA CANA beautiful HONEYMOON thanks to them I WILL BE BACK BARCELO PUNTA CANA in Santo Domingo employees gives a really good service to VISITORS??????????

Room Tip: room with a view to the water is really relaxing and beautiful
3  Thank Miami_FloridaBarbara
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Barecelo punta cana was a wonderful and relaxing getaway! I have been to a couple of resorts in Punta Cana this resort was one of the best I stayed at. The rooms were very clean, and the bed very comfortable.All the staff were extremly friendly, and acomodating expecially Juilio Caraballo from guest services. The grounds were very well maintained, and the swimming pool very clean. Staff made an effort to speak to you in your language.

Room Tip: The best rooms are located on the ground floor.
3  Thank Erin R
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I would never go again and would not suggest. The resort was not up to my standards. The food sucks. Avoid the buffet at all cost if you can. You won't be able to for breakfast or lunch but for dinner do the ala cart restaurants and if you can, do the Asia restaurant. Only a few people spoke English. The bartenders at the pool bar were great and attentive. But don't go to the hotel on the weekend. They allow the locals to purchase day passes and its mad house. The locals are rude and act like they have never been any place before. Do some more research and stay somewhere else. The hotel itself is rather large therefore they may want to think about added other restaurants or places to eat as what is already there is not accurate.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends