“Worth every penny!”
Review of Occidental Caribe

Occidental Caribe
Ranked #60 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed December 5, 2011

I have been to this hotel three times in the last four years, my last visit was last February and I will be going again this February. All of my trips have resulted in nothing but an amazing experience. The staff at this hotel is terrific, and makes every aspect of your trip enjoyable as possible. I have experience with many other hotels in Dominican, and there's a reason I keep going back to this one.

PROS -

-Spectacular beach, very clean sand, minimal foot traffic, you need not worry about a lot of vendors.

-Beach is amazing, crystal clear, warm, with very little to NO seaweed/debris. Sand is clean with no garbage or rocks to worry about stepping on. Waves are awesome for playing in, they are a decent size without being dangerous.

-Water in the pool is very nice, good for when you need a break from the sun or waves. There are two pools so you can choose the one you prefer, one has a swim up bar and the other does not, it is more of a quiet pool. If you wake up at a decent hour, you can see that both pools are thoroughly cleaned each and every morning.

-The view is simply the best I have ever seen.

-The staff is great. They are very friendly and they try to make your trip better however they can. It is EASY to get involved with sports, which they have many as well as other activities.

- Food is good, not amazing. I still consider this a positive because there is so much food at this resort. The à la carte restaurants (Reservation required) are fancy and very good. My favorites are the Tokyo where your stir fry is made in front of you, it is very entertaining. The other favorite is the Dominican restaurant, they have a steak dish and a chicken dish that are simply amazing! The buffet is a normal buffet set up, but there are different stations where there is a chef who will make you a dish right then and there to your liking.(Omelets,steak, pork chops, pasta, burgers ...e.c.t.) Omelets are recommended for sure. The last thing I will touch on is the pizza parlor, its a great place for lunch/snack and they have a few different types of pizza to choose from, its on top of the marlin restaurant which is the outside lunch buffet. The view from the pizza parlor is spectacular, overlooking the ocean.

Rooms - Renovated rooms are very nice, flat screen, nice fixtures and comfy beds. All the rooms are cleaned on a daily basis. If I don't have to worry about sweeping sand off the floor and I don't have to make my bed, I can't complain.

General feel - The hotel is a place where I can feel laid back and not have to worry, I can have fun and feel safe.

CONS-

Some of the chairs at the beach are getting old, such a small thing, but worth noting. It's easy enough to just go get another one, most are still good because they have an abundance of chairs.

Some renovated rooms have showers with a glass pane, its not secured to the bottom and water will go on the floor if you're not careful. Putting down a cloth will solve this, you are given enough clean ones everyday.

Every few days, the vendors are allowed to come on the resort for the evening, they are restricted to certain areas, don't worry, you can avoid them if you want. Otherwise, its an awesome way to shop without leaving the resort, just remember to try and barter for a good price. My advice would be to check out the gift shop on the resort and make note of the price, so it gives you a good idea of what you should be paying opposed to what the vendor will tell you.

______________________________________________________________________________

Every time I visit this hotel, I feel appreciated to have come, it feels good and definitely makes it worth every penny. The last time I went, I was invited to an exclusive dinner for returning guests, the meal was awesome and I was personally thanked by the owner herself.

I have never gotten sick in Dominican. During my last trip, with a combined group of 12 people, nobody got sick, at least not without the aid of alcohol...

The excursions advertised by the hotel are good, I have done Zip-lining, buggies, parasailing and whale watching. I will have to recommend Zip-lining, buggies and parasailing, all well worth it. A note about the whale watching, we seen the whales basking off the coast, from our HOTEL ROOM, it was amazing just to see that.

The bottom line is, if you want to go somewhere you can have fun, with an amazing beach, awesome staff, great views. This hotel is it!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank Parker S
Write a ReviewReviews (9,458)

Reviewed December 4, 2011

We stayed at Barcelo Punta Cana from November 7th to 21st.We were on the 4th floor in a renovated room with an ocean\pool view room 3411 which was pretty nice. We've been to 6 all inclusives altogether in the Mayan Riviera and Punta Cana, This was our second 2 week trip at this resort, our first trip to this resort was owned by Breezes, good value for what you get. We overheard some people who weren't happy with the food, Really folks, Buffets are Buffets, most of them are pretty average, ala cartes were good, room was clean and bug free, the grounds were clean, the beach was AWESOME, we preferred the new pool to the old pool and the staff were friendly. The kids pool was nice and kept the kids in that area. I've decided that alot of the bad reviews on Trip advisor are just very picky people that like to complain. You can tell the legitimate complaints from the people who you just can't keep happy.

Room Tip: We were on the 4th Floor ocean\pool view in a renovated room. Room # 3411, it was, clean, bug free...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank BrianfromVanc-Island
Reviewed December 3, 2011

This was the Dominican Republic version of motel 6! The food was the worst! I never knew anyone could make a bad breakfast buffet but I guess I was wrong. Lunch and Dinner buffet was even worse!! The pool and hotel were rundown. The rooms had been somewhat updated, but the LOUD music being played right outside the rooms till 1 am was the last straw for us. We stayed here 1 night and told our Apple representative we had to leave. He was awesome!! He got us into our new hotel, the Iberostar punta cana within an hour and half. Finally decent meals, clean pool, beautiful beach and hotel that has been nicely kept up. Our vacation was saved!

7  Thank stldiver
Reviewed December 1, 2011

16.11.-29.11.2011 Visit Barcelo Punta Cana De-luxe room number 3440
Willingness of staff is excellent and I must say I was pleasantly surprised at any point be willing to answer and tried to accommodate in terms of check-in and check-out took place very quickly, no waiting advice, but I must point out that We were the only tourists who then came to the hotel (everything was in store), the staff speaks English, Spanish, I saw that and tried to speak Russian, I do not know how many foreign languages ​​also speak only from my experience, we communicate in English and I saw, to communicate with Russian tourists (ie the maximum tried)

We had paid in-luxe room, room for two people is large and spacious, two large comfortable beds, a balcony with table and two chairs, plenty of storage space in terms of hanging clothes and drawers further light clothing, plenty of hangers, I think the need for two persons in a room full enough, the built-in closet is a safe size of about 40x30 cm, so the laptop that we had with you at ease we could put into the vault. The bathroom is shared with toilet, spacious enough, equipped with toiletries (shampoo, hair lotion, shower gel, sanitary napkins), cleanliness is fine, a day alone two large and two small towels (I also noted dolárik help or some morsel as the chocolate during our stay were changed two cleaners, one of them calls to Raiz, was extremely kind and grateful for every little thing that we left her in the room, the room was decorated with reward and flowers as a bonus three large towels)

The hotel is nice and clean, everywhere around the beautiful foliage maintained by the staff dutifully cared for, one day I had an experience when a man climbed up to the top of palm trees and cut the unnecessary sheets, daily housekeeping evening around a large swimming pool and in the morning vacuuming the pool and the surroundings and beaches, but also during the day, the staff was still and clean environment, so in terms of purity I am absolutely satisfied. Shops are the main building of the pool, there are about four shops with everything one would still be missing, should have forgotten at home, souvenirs, jewelry. We're there buy about 50% of gifts and balance on two trips, which we attended. 7 Is there a restaurant we ate normal in the Alcazar, it's a huge restaurant, where breakfast is served, lunch and dinner with all sorts of goodies and plenty of drinks from which you maybe able to choose the most demanding client, another restaurant is El Marlin, this restaurant available since five in the morning, so when we went on a trip with a 7 am departure. morning, we could have breakfast there and take it with you beverage into bottles of mineral water, other restaurants have to order such a way that the accommodation will be booking tickets to the restaurant about the number depends on the number of days spent in the hotel, we received 6 tickets reservation to the restaurant, Italian, Japanese, sea food, Mexican, French, Dominican. Our experience was the largest in Japanese restaurants. I recommend this hotel for all ages, there is the personal care and for children, where the restaurants have special menus for children, children's pool, every evening entertainment for children.

As for sports use, there is everything as described on the official site, since we do not use this part, so I will write about how widespread, is a beautiful beach with white fine sand with enough lehátiek, beautiful warm clear sea, I want to draw attention to the waves But if like the lark's cool, it was not for me, I compensate for swimming in the pool. Every day of our old team of animators, the day devoted to the beach and various sports activities at the pool, guests learn to dance by the pool of national dance Mering, it was perfect and very funny, every night at 9:30, the time was a great Shou in terms of programs, everything was perfect, it was an amazing performance Jackoson Michael, I want to thank the whole team who took care of the cultural program, actually it was on a high professional level.

Regarding the beach and lehátiek I wrote regarding the beach bar is right on the beach restaurant El Marlin which I have also wrote (from 6 am. Evening becomes Sea food restaurant), where throughout the day and consume soft drinks and served alcoholic beverages, especially one section there is also equipped for guests who like burgers and fries , where food is really good, and the possibility of an adequate selection of hot food after cold food, cakes, drinks there is enough, especially where works self-service machine for all soft drinks and alcohol mixed drinks and the service staff there. I think it's the best of their cocktails, they call it Welcome (rum and Coke) ), with this name I met on a trip where refreshments are served. The location of this restaurant is very close to the beach, the pool also.

Overall rating of the hotel and the service is really good, actually in charge in return for the price of the voucher. And this way I would like to sincerely thank the whole team AIRSTOP for customer care from the very beginning after leaving for vacation with the information about the destination that I have purchased, even though I personally was not in direct contact, thanks to the travel agent for actual Shaunisland mediated a perfect destination. Furthermore, this way I want to thank Adam wizard, I wish him every success, he was kind and friendly, especially for the video camera missed the bus to us the other day brought to the hotel. I suggest to get to know this country, despite some parts of what we have seen, it's amazing and beautiful country which is worth seeing. Link to other visitors who decide to visit the country and opt for an optional excursion, special Jeet Safari (part of the visit and one Dominican schools), please take the kids for some sweets, is beautiful to see the joy on those nice očkách when they bestow little bonbon.

Room Tip: order a deluxe room
3  Thank BratislavaMariaD
Reviewed December 1, 2011

ok i will see if i can make this review short. lol

barcelo punta cana premium is a family friendly resort. it has a waterpark for the kids. it has close to 1000 rooms. palm trees everywhere. very clean. not dirty at all!! it also has a kids club, fitness center. 2 huge pools. one with a swim up bar. the other is the quiet one with beds in the water. that was my fav thing about the quiet pool.
Restaurants: 11 restaurants. 9 bars. all of the restaurants are VERY good. i have ate at all of them so i know! do not listen to any of the bad reviews for this resort as they are all lies!!! people are going to punta cana to get 5 star service that they would get here in canada or usa, well u need to remember that u are in an international country!! show them the curtesty and respect and you will get it back. tip the maids, bar tenders! if you are planning on staying here get the club premium service as you will be in the renovated part of the hotel. i stayed in block 3 room 3423 top floor room. deluxe ocean view king room!!! fantastic views from the balcony. hotel is very safe so don't worry about that!!!

if you want any more information don't hesitate to contact me :)
have a nice day everyone!

Room Tip: club premium service. block 3 is the best
4  Thank kelseyfoschiniCanada
Reviewed November 30, 2011

I visited the Barcelo Premium Punta Cana with other family members. We requested rooms side by side but were only able to get on the same floor. The room next to us was empty for a few days until teenagers arrived. The resort was full of university students from Duke University. Not great to have young children around with the language and inappropriate behavior. I felt old and I am only 36 yrs old. My children (daughter 2 & son 6) along with my niece 12 had a good time on the beach and in the quiet pool. The kids water park was a nightmare... my daughter ended up with a black eye and a trip to the emerge. Not a place you want to visit make you feel like your in prison and they refuse to let you leave until your bill is paid. Which took a long time as we had insurance and were waiting for confirmation that they would get paid. $336 dollars later they finally allowed a cab to take us back to the resort. The kids water park had daily injuries and even one boy spending a few nights in hospital as the manhole type cover gave way when he was playing and he fell into a hole breaking his teeth and nose on the cement. My daughter had a slip on a little slide that looked so innocent with my niece sliding with her. The resort sent us to the hospital in a cab and basically did nothing to help us or care what happened to while we were there. That was on our second day. We tried to make the best of our trip even though.
The positive side was the amazing beach, so picture perfect. The weather was fabulous and the food at the buffet and a la carte restaurants were very good compared to other resorts I have stayed. The Japanese restaurant was awesome. Most of the staff would ignore you unless you had a tip visible in hand. The maid was very good but again I tipped everyday!!! We went out of the resort to a nice seafood restaurant called the jelly fish. Pricey but nice and make reservations, trust me. At the seafood a la carte on the resort, The Marlin, the menu did not say lobster but we asked and each got a half lobster. The room was a ocean view room, not worth the extra money as other parts were renovated and our room was old, small and always damp and musty smelling. I blame my sinus infection on that. I would probably not return to the Barcelo Punta Cana but thought it was a fair price.
I love the Dominican Republic and have a trip planned again very soon.

Hope this helps.

Travel tip: Don't travel in March

Room Tip: Don't pay for prestige, just ask for a room in the renovated section, closest to the quiet pool.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Lovebug2245
Reviewed November 29, 2011

I will never go back to this resort EVER!!! They have no clue what they are doing. Screwed up the rooms, rooms were dirty, food at the buffet was disgusting, service was slow at best, no towels most of the time at the pool. I'll never go back.

Room Tip: Go to the Hard Rock. Soooooooo nice there.
3  Thank jett124