“Would've refused to leave if I didn't have kids”

Catalonia Royal Bavaro
Ranked #46 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersGold level
Helena, Montana
“Would've refused to leave if I didn't have kids”
Reviewed February 28, 2011

My wife and I, along with two other couples, spent a glorious week at the Royal Catalonia Bavaro (12Feb-19Feb, 2011). It was more than a nice transition from the -44° (yes, I said negative 44°) clutches of the northern Montana winter in which we were mired…..

We chose this place, mostly based on the number of positive reviews we read on Trip Advisor. The few negative comments we read seemed to have a few common themes: 1) musty room, 2) power interruptions, 3) loss of hot water, 4) communication issues. While these all of these thee issues occurred while we stayed there, they had NO impact on how wonderful this resort was. The rooms are musty? Duh….it’s the tropics. Damp Rid and AC worked very well to remedy this problem. Even if it would’ve remained musty, it’s not that big of a deal, and definitely something that you can get used to. Good luck finding any hotel in the Caribbean that isn’t musty…. Yes, the power went out once or twice a day or night for no more than a half hour at a time. Minor inconvenience at most. So if you’re vacationing goal is to enjoy consistent electricity 100% of the time, as opposed to the 99.5% consistency here, then you may want to vacation somewhere else. Hot water issues occurred once or twice while we were there, but again….we were there for the weather, the beaches, and the recreation, not the utilities. We had our share of communication difficulties, but we were VISITORS in a Spanish-speaking country. We English-speaking, Italian-speaking, etc) are the ones that present a communication barrier. It was fun to learn a few new words in Spanish, and the staff worked hard to make sure that you were understood. That being said, let’s move on…..

Food: None of the people in our group could say we had a bad meal. We had some meals that were better than others, but all were quite tasty. My personal favorite was Sea Blue. Very good food for lunch and for supper, and home to the most charismatic and friendly staff at the resort. Get to know Reuben, Armstrong (he was all over the resort), and Francisco. The club sandwich, the cheeseburger, the spring rolls, and the grilled lobster (beach party night) were consistently wonderful. The Japanese restaurant was excellent, but a little hot….dress as if you’ll be cooking over the grill; which I actually did. The Mexican restaurant was also quite good, although more of a combination of Caribbean-Mexican, which was great. Cata Tapas was a lot of fun, and was an excellent opportunity to sample a variety of unique appetizer-type entrees. We actually ate at Cata Tapas as a pre-supper, because we had heard the portions were not that substantial. This was a beautiful facility. Thalassa was consistently good as well, with very friendly and accommodating staff. We ate breakfast at the Thalassa 3-4 times, and it was a nice, fresh, buffet style breakfast with made-to-order omelettes. They also have a do-it-yourself Bloody Mary station, which is the breakfast of champions in the Dominican Republic, I’m told. The Rodeo Steak house had excellent steak (try the Rodeo Steak), but very unpleasant service. Maybe it was the fact that they were forced to wear the lamest “cowboy” uniforms in history…I don’t know….The buffets were, well….buffets, and did the trick, but weren’t to die for. Your time is much better spent at the restaurants, rather than the buffets. The brick-oven pizza was pretty good, but stay away from what is being touted as a burger at this little place, because it is awful; the only thing at the whole resort that I would consider bad at all.

Bars: We spent a vast majority of our time being served drinks on the beach by our new friends Roberto and Adelso. Get to know these fellas and tip them often, because they will treat you right. They are wonderful people, and will take the time to get to know you, and I would recommend getting to know them, as well. These guys were two of our group’s favorites, and will be missed. I was truly impressed when in saw Adelso take the tip money we had just given him, and hand it to the guy that was raking up the beach and picking up garbage. Royal Catalonia Bavaro manager: if you’re reading this, give these two a raise, as they are an important factor in our decision to schedule another trip to your resort in a couple years. If you want better alcohol than what is being served, just ask, and you’ll get it if they have it. Our time spent on the beach with these guys will be remembered fondly, and we can only hope they’ll be there when we make our return to “The Dom.” The swim-up bar on the royal side was great, and Carlos and Hector are friendly and skilled bartenders. The bar next to the Japanese restaurant was nice, and Candy treated us very well, although she helped produce what was a pretty astounding headache the “day after,” by mixing us her “Candy Especial.” We didn’t hit many other bars, as we spent most of our time on the beach.

Beach: At least one of us got to the beach semi-early (somewhere between 7:30 and 9:00 AM) every day to reserve us a good spot every day. There really aren’t any bad spots except by the juice bar, where the wasps seemed to be buzzing about pretty good. We wanted a spot close to the bar, and to the water, and we stayed in the same general area every day. I didn’t feel bad about reserving a spot with a towel, as we spent literally all day on the beach. The sea grass on the beach was consistent, but a non-factor, and they were constantly cleaning/removing this. There are abundant palapas for shade, if desired. There were a fair amount of topless ladies, which did not detract from our general enjoyment of the beach….

Rooms: We stayed in junior deluxe suites in Villa # 36 on the third floor. I would highly recommend staying in this villa, as it is the closest to the beach, and the quietest. We had a beautiful huge tub in our suite, as well. The third floor is nice, as you have no upstairs ruckus to disturb you. Rooms were beautiful and were very clean. There were no real drawers to speak of, but plenty of shelving for clothes, and ample room to hang items. The safe was easy to use, and secure, but bring a little flashlight to see inside it; otherwise you’ll be navigating by feel to find your cameras, credit cards, etc. It’s a good idea to pack a flashlight in case of power outages, anyways. The floors are quite slick when wet, especially when you come in from the balcony after a rainstorm, so be careful. Shower was beautiful, but quite revealing when your room door was opened. Beds are very firm, and we loved them. After a little adjustment via utilization of the “pillow menu,” I was able to find a comfortable pillow. My only complaint is that the door to the bathroom is fogged glass, and there is no lock, and the top of the glass door is open, so the bathroom is not fully enclosed. A little awkward, but again….not a big deal.

Recreation/Excursions: While briefly snorkeling at our beach, we saw many species of fish, including rays, urchins (look out), needlefish, and a Lionfish. Look closely at the sand as you’re snorkeling, as there is as species of fish that is perfectly camouflaged to match the color of the sand. This fish has both of its eyes on one side of its body and they move independently like a Chameleon’s does. Very hard to spot unless they are moving, but very cool. I had read on TripAdvisor a suggestion that you should take a roll from one of the restaurants to feed the fish, which worked quite well, as I was swarmed by fish when I began to put out pieces of bread. We took the sea kayaks out to the breakers (about 200 meters or so) and surfed in the waves a bit. We felt very safe doing this, as the water never seemed to be deeper than 4 or 5 feet at any point. If you’re thinking about taking the sea kayaks out, make sure you don’t wait around. If you need three, and you see three available, grab them, because they don’t last long. We reserved a spot on the Tropical Storm excursion a few weeks prior to our arrival, but in hindsight, reservation is probably not necessary. Our reservation proved to be a bit to our detriment, as our Hotel Beds (the company that arranged our shuttles) representative, Gavin, failed to schedule a shuttle for us. Actually, Gavin failed to do a lot of stuff for us, so avoid him if you can. He’s not affiliated with this resort, so it’s not their fault that he was inconsistent. We would recommend just scheduling your excursion at the concierge desk when you arrive. The excursion itself was a good time, and the crew does everything possible to make sure you are having a good time. If you are not a drinker, then this is probably not the excursion for you. My wife had a bit of a sour stomach, and ordered a Diet Coke a couple times, and each time received a Rum and Diet Coke. However, it turns out that the Rum and Diet Coke calmed her stomach nicely, especially after a dozen of them or so. The snorkeling was okay, probably not as good as the hotel beach for fish. There was a lot more coral to see on the excursion, than our beach however. The food on the Tropical Storm for lunch was wonderful. Take a minute or two to get to know Frenchie. He’s got some great stories to share (ask him about a night spent in Shelby, Montana). The entire crew seemed to have a great time right along side the guests. Looking back, I think we would probably do a half-day excursion the next time we go. Not because the excursions aren’t fun, but more because we just enjoyed our time at the resort so much, and a full day away from our beach was hard to take. We heard the dune buggy tour was fun, as well.

Miscellaneous: The juice bar on the south end of the beach makes amazing non-alcoholic fruit drink concoctions. My only regret is that I didn’t visit this juice bar every day. Security at the hotel was adequate and consistent. We only had hotel approved people on the beach trying to sell us excursions, but this was no big deal as they were all pretty friendly, and not that frequent. When we went on our excursion, we sailed past a bunch of other resorts on Punta Cana’s beaches, and we were all quite relieved to return to the relative calmness of our beach area. Granted, the other resorts may have had less sea grass and better snorkeling, but they also had hundreds of little kids selling coffee beans, aggressive vendors, trash, flying boats (yes, you read that correctly), and the ever-present “speed-boat tour,” which, basically was a bunch of people that have never driven a boat before following a guide around the water at 30-40 mph while darting in and out of sailboats, catamarans, etc. In short, the other resort beaches appeared to be much louder, and very, very busy. Coming “home” to our beach was a nice feeling. The little market just past the southern end of the property is basically a bunch of little huts all selling the same stuff. They are aggressive with their sales approach, but are open for negotiations on price, obviously. Staying on the Royal side (adults only) is the way to go, if you don’t have kids. This way you can use all of the services/establishments on the Royal side as well as the Bavaro side. The pool area at the Bavaro side was very cool, and had a swim up bar, but was always very busy and noisy. The grounds, especially on the Bavaro side, are unbelievable, and immaculately maintained. The entire resort is very clean, and there is always someone working to keep the grounds well-manicured.

One final tip: TIP. Tip these people. They work HARD for their money, and a dollar here or there goes a long ways in helping them out, and helping you out. Each couple in our group took about $150 in ones and fives, and I know for a fact that we were treated better because of our “dollar-a-round” (at least) philosophy. We also tipped a couple bucks a day to the housekeepers, which ensured that we had a stocked fridge and fresh towels.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Scott M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,046)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed February 28, 2011

We travelled to Punta Cana from February 16-23 for our wedding.

Arrived around noon, where we were greeted with cool towels and a refreshing drink. Our rooms were not ready but were given our bracelets so we could visit the resort and sit down for lunch. Once our rooms ready they drove us there with our luggage. We stayed in a loft suite with pool. Beautiful room!

I received a call that night from Yeisy (wedding Coordinator) to meet her at 9 AM. Meeting took 15minutes. I didn't have a thing to do for the wedding but show up. That was such a relief. The wedding went off without a hitch. Everything was beautiful. The dinner was amazing. They sure went all out.

As for our stay... Well... it was AMAZING! We all had such a wonderful time. It was relaxing. Beautiful resort, great restaurants, great food, beautiful beach and scenery. The grounds are so well kept. The staff at this resort was so friendly. Ola! I have never seen employees like this. They would do anything for you. It didn't matter if you left a tip or not, they always had a smile. The staff is the heart of this resort and they keep it going.

We enjoyed ourselves so much. I don't understand how anyone can give this resort a disappointing review. You are there to relax. Go with the flow. Enjoy!!! Why stress in Paradise? I know we didn't.

Wonderful family, great people, great vacation! Thank you Catalonia Royal Bavaro!!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Grenouille21811
Lyndhurst
Reviewed February 28, 2011

Over all it was fine. We traveled with 6 other people. Most of the group was very disappointed with the food. However everyone loved the Italian restaurant. The weather was great, the drinks were great. The Royal is not as fancy as some of the bigger resorts. The staff was fun and we only ran into a few that had bad attitudes. I don't believe it was the food that was bad as much as those that prepare it do it the DR way. No-one got sick, the beach was great, the pools are great. The beds do suck big time. We took the cushions off of the couch and put them on the bed to make the beds softer to sleep on. The week did go fast and we met some nice people and had some laughs. I prefer a more up-scale resort and would not return to the Royal.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Hak1024
PuntaCanaCabezaToro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, March 1, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post a review following your recent vacation at Catalonia Royal Bavaro. We are delighted that you enjoyed the beach, the pools, the drinks and the Italian restaurant.

Concerning the food we understand this issue is very subjective but we still are sorry for not been able to satisfy the entire group.

We do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Catalonia Royal Bavaro in the future.

Best Regards

Fairfax, Vermont
Reviewed February 28, 2011

Stayed here 2/23-2/27 with better half, his sister and husband and my sister. My opinion of this hotel is clouded by having stayed at Catalonia Royal Tulum last year. With that said my personal preference is CRT but Royal Bavaro is a VERY close 2nd. We all stayed in building 38. The rooms are incredible, better than CRT imo. At CRT the balcony furniture was cheap plastic lawnchairs and at Bavaro they were comfortable faux wicker and a hammock too! I believe the resort was at or near full capacity but you would never know it. Towel game was ongoing, but you could always get a place on the beach without having to get up at the crack of dawn. I did like the beach, its deeper and lots of shade(trees/palapas). However I like the surf better at CRT. The water here is shallow and not very wavy(i liked playing in the waves and feeding the fish at CRT). Also the water here was on the chilly side..but that could be due to time of year and the weather. While we were there the winds were fairly strong which did kinda of wear on me after awhile but didn't stop me from spending the day on the beach! Waiter service was amazing the 1st day, a little less so the rest of the days, but still very good overall. We never used the pools, which looked very crowded due to the strong winds on the beach.

The staff at CRB is amazing. Incredibly cheerful, funny and really tried to keep you from wanting anything. The beach server the 1st day, didn't even bother asking us what we wanted to drink after our first order..he just showed up with drinks in hand right when we started thinking it was time to reorder. Our party was all very impressed with that.

While the food here is good, I enjoyed the food more at CRT. My favorite dinner here was at the buffet on the family side. The breakfast buffet is always my most favorite though, love the bloody marys, and all the fruit, cheese and fish, the breakfast buffet was better at CRT but still, I could have sat there all morning nibbling away. Others in our party enjoyed the Italian and Rodeo restaurants showing that personal preferences and the particular dish you order will affect your opinion greatly. Overall, you shouldn't go hungry here, there really is something for everyone's tastes.

The spa at CRB wasn't that great imo. While the services offered are the same as CRT, the "experience" just wasn't there. Had a therapeutic massage and mens facial. While obviously its always nice to get these treatments, they just weren't as good as what I experienced at CRT. The treatment rooms overlook the hot tub and don't have full walls between the rooms. This means you can hear whats going on in the next room and outside which diminishes the spa experience. Also the music comes over very tinny speakers. For some reason the staff really wanted my sister and I to share a room when we had our facials. We agreed, but in hindsight I wouldn't do that again. The attendants were talking to each other(and giggling a little) while doing our treatment and again, this took away from the whole experience.

We found the beds very comfortable(moreso than CRT) some of the light sleepers in our party had the best nights sleep in months. Rooms here are very clean, yes a few ants here and there but nothing to get excited about. A few issues in one of the rooms, most were fixed promptly, others(light out in shower) not fixed during the stay, but again not a huge issue. No problems with power outages while there. Wifi in room was slow, but if your on vacation it really shouldn't matter! Speed at the computer center in lobby was much better, although it did go down for most of our last day..just when I wanted to use it to check in with airline. It did come back up and all was fine.

2 of us golfed at the 9 hole course and had a good time. Their only complaint was the quality of the clubs, but this was expected so didn't ruin their outing any. They recommend bringing your own clubs. I believe they said the price was $75US which included the cart, greens fees and club rental.

We picked this resort because of our experience at CRT, and while different we all still enjoyed our vacation. The Catalonia brand is tops in our book. I would recommend this resort if someone was going to the DR, but would suggest they think about visiting Mexico and going to CRT.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank gpdvt
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed February 27, 2011

The Royal is adults only;capacity 500, private beach and restaurant at the beach. We upgraded to junior deluxe suite and it was well worth it. We have travelled all over the world but have found a bit of paradise here at the Royal. The nice thing about this is that we could go to any of the restaurants at the sister resort that holds 2000 guests and we did not need reservations. In fact Royal guests are treated like VIP's.
The pool in the deluxe suite area is huge and there is another beautiful pool with a swim up bar near the main restaurant.
Food is good but the main restaurant has the same menu everyday.The steak is terrific but the fish and chicken were tough.Otherwise everything else was great. The daily buffet breakfast is full of wonderful choices and the service is amazing.Our favourite restaurant at the sister resort was the steak house.The japanese was fun and even though I am no fan of this type of food I was surprised by how tasty it was.The Italian restaurant was also good . We even went to the buffet a few times but it gets busy so go as soon as it opens.The best restaurant is the one that serves lunch at the Royal beach, the menu was varied and everything was very good. Service was great and the food was served hot. They also have a beach party dinner there every Thurs night with music and dancing.
The beach is great and swept of seaweed everyday, Bar service at the beach- terrific. We saw amazing fish snorkelling just off shore at the false reef. In fact, we fed the fish bits of bread and they came out so we had a good view of them.
The room was huge and beautiful but we requested the second floor as the first room we were given had a smell. However, our friends stayed on the first floor and were given a dehumidifier which quickly cleared up the odour. I would suggest that all rooms need a dehumidifier as there is a bit of dampness . Bring an air sponge from Canadian Tire that will absorb any odour. We loved our room and enjoyed sitting on the balcony after a hard day at the beach.
The staff was always helpful , friendly and gave excellent service. In short we look forward to returning there again next year.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Luapram
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your time in posting your review about Catalonia Royal Bavaro on TripAdvisor.

We are glad to hear that you had a faultless stay with us and were pleased with the service and facilities at the property. All your kind comments with regards to the room, bar service, dining experience and the beach are greatly appreciated.

Thank you once again for recommending our property on TripAdvisor and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed February 26, 2011

This was our second vacation at the Catalonia, the first was ten years ago at the Bavaro section. The Royal section is a lovely addition and we found the customer service excellent and always very willing to accommodate. I would expecially like to thank the concierge staff for assisting my elderly father in getting insulin from the hospital for him. Also a special thank you to Andros Almonte, who made my parents feel so welcome and provided them with a ride whenever possible. He even called them "Ma & Pa" and they really liked that. He was curteous and kind during our two week stay.
Our room was very nice and as mentioned in other reviews, the lighting over the bathroom mirror could be improved. I really liked having the beach towels in the room on a daily basis. Toiletries, coffee supplies, towels and mini fridge were replenished on a daily basis.
We ate at all the specialy restaurants and the large buffet and found the food to be very good. Cappucino coffee was not available at the specialy restaurants and this was a little disappointing, but we just went to the bars after dinner.
The pools were lovely, found the infinity pool area a little cooler because there was a breeze from the ocean.
One thing I did find a little different was that there were washrooms that had stalls for men and women in one room, did not feel comfortable with this.
We did the Dolphin Explorer excursion and I loved swimming with the dolphins. Went to two jewelry/cigar making stores, they come and pick you up at the resort free of charge.
I would like to say that all the front line staff are fluent in English and the customer service was A-one. Glad I had the experience of staying at the Catalonia Royal for two weeks.

• Stayed February 2011
2 Thank Christa S
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us at Catalonia Royal Bavaro. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor and thank you for recommending our resort.

I have shared your comment with Andres and he is very happy to learn that his effort is highly appreciated by our guest.

We hope that we will be able to welcome you back in the not too distant future!

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed February 24, 2011

We stayed at the Catalonia Royal from February 16-23. Had a fantastic stay.

Ate at the Mexican, Japanese, Sea Blue, Rodeo steak house and Buffet.
Great good. The Sea Blue was our favorite with grilled caribean lobster available.

Room
Room was great and was always cleaned. The only downside was the bed matress was way too hard.

Resort
If you plan on a nice relaxing stay without noise I would recomend the Catalonia Royal adults only side. The Bavaro side is much more noisier and has a more party like atmosphere.

Entertainment
We found the entertainment to not be so good. The shows are much the same as any of the other resorts we have been to in Dominican.

Tips
-order the banana mamas they are made with real banana
-internet is available for free on the royal side
-Sea blue was one of our favorite restaurant for lunch
-get your towel on a lounge chair to reserve your spot early
-try snorkelling on the royal side. Not many fish but some near the sunken pipe
- buy your rum and souvenirs on site as they are cheaper than the airport (if you walk down the beach there is also local shops that you can barter with)
- Try the wood fired pizza on the bavaro side(very good)

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
#87 of 111 in Punta Cana
VIK Hotel Cayena Beach
VIK Hotel Cayena Beach
#82 of 111 in Punta Cana

Been to Catalonia Royal Bavaro? Share your experiences!