“Very Nice, Peaceful Resort”

Catalonia Royal Bavaro
Ranked #48 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersGold level
Janesville, Wisconsin
“Very Nice, Peaceful Resort”
Reviewed June 3, 2010

My wife and I arrived on May 22nd and stayed for five days. What a wonderful trip even though it did rain a couple of the days. The only issues we had was that our room a/c was not that cool and the fridge in the room was very warm. Other than that we had a great time. The food is pretty good but be sure to order a couple different items on the menu because some of the dishes are a little under portioned. The staff will bring you as much as you want if requested. Speaking of the staff, They were all very nice but did not speak hardly any english. You can always get your point across though with them. It is a very quiet and relaxing resort with a great beach. You can go over to the family side if you are looking for more action which we did a couple of times but it was always nice to escape back to our side to relax. I am a little on the picky side when I am spending this kind of money on a getaway, but I am looking forward to going back to the Royal. Very nice place!!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,058)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 2, 2010

when we arrive people trate us so good the service in some restaurant is excellent what can i say tapas staff is the best of all restaurant they make a wonderfull job the restaurant has a nice view they make a great team work but if i have to chose a waiter the best of the best is emmanuel he is always smiling and he has the best english in the hotel in thalasa restaurant gorge is really good he did a good job if you go to dr go to catalonia royal and make shure to go to tapas restaurant ask for emmanuel and andres they'll make your time there perfect

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bill0202
New Jersey
Reviewed June 1, 2010

Great resort, very quiet , did not want for anything. Some food was a little off (little differences), I think thats more a cultural thing than a quality issue , overall I give all the resturants a thumbs up . Bars were first rate , excellent service . Check out the beach bar for the Dominican Republics version of the Muppet Judges(Roberto and Manuel) wish that bar was open later, very chilled scene. My wife who is a Massuse, got a massage at the spa from (Olga) , she said it was the best massage she has ever had. The Catalonia side was very noisy, we just went there to eat then right back to the solitude of the Royal side. The Grand Caribe buffet had a huge selection very good .Would deffinately go backto this resort.The people who complain would complain anywhere.

1 Thank elroy65
PuntaCanaCabezaToro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, June 8, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your stay with us.

We were delighted to hear that you enjoyed the facilities and all the team with particular mention to Roberto and Manuel during your stay. I will be sure to share you kind feedback with them personally.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write.

Kind regards

Josep Castellnou
Hoboken, NJ
Reviewed May 30, 2010

Pretty mediocre overall
My fiance and I stayed at the Royal Catalonia Bavaro May 24-29.

Room: Overall quite nice and clean. AC and wireless internet worked great! Maid service was a bit weird; multiple stops by the room to drop off a single towel. Mini-bar restock was spotty. One morning upon getting dressed I was unpleasantly surprised to find a swarm of ants had invaded my suitcase. There was no food or the like, but DR is the tropics so insects come with the territory. Not a big deal. We called the front desk for some bug spray and were told someone would be right up. No one ever came. It was the last day of our trip so we just moved on.

Room Service: Terrible!!! We tried twice. The first time we waited over 2 hours. After 3 phone calls the food finally showed up cold and the order was completely wrong. Round two was slightly better, my fiancé was kind enough to let me sleep in and order a fruit plate for me. Apparently that took an hour (which I was more than happy to sleep for ).

Meals: Thalassa was great for breakfast, eggs, fruit, bacon, pastries. Service was spotty. Cata tapa had a nice atmosphere, but that was about it. Poor service, terrible food. We purchased a bottle of wine that was no better than the all-inclusive wine, which I stuck to after that. Sea Blue: lighter fair by the pool and beach. Stick with the burgers and fries, they were great. My fiancé ordered a ham and cheese sandwich, what came out was a single slice of ham on stale bread with a massive amount of mayonnaise. It was very difficult to get a drink refill. On the other side of the resort were La Toscana and Mariachi which we did not try. Rodeo steakhouse was pretty hokey. The food was reasonable, but very heavy. My fiancé enjoyed much more than I did. The highlight was the Japanese restaurant. Mikado was absolutely the best, pleasing even this picky eater. I left each time with a full tum and satisfied grin. It seemed a bit out of place on the family side of the resort. I don’t recall seeing one child in the restaurant, then again I don’t know too many children that have a taste for sushi or have mastered chopsticks.

Beach: We thought the beach was lovely and were generally able to find a shaded spot, which was of key importance for a pasty redhead! The beach was not really for surfing or swimming. The shallow water was enough for cooling down and taking in the view. The beach bar was a short walk away and the bartenders kept a busy beach bar moving.
Pools: A let down. The infinity pool was barely that. It certainly did not provide that seamless view into the ocean. It was more like a regular pool close to the beach. The pool by the lobby was alright. One was generally able to find a bed with some cover. Pool service was nonexistent (and we were prepared to tip well had anyone ever come around!). The swim up bar was only a small extension on the pool bar.
Piano Bar: I would be remiss to not mention the piano bar in the main lobby. The bartenders were wonderful. It was a great little spot to meet-up with friends before dinner, have a few drinks after dinner or hideaway from the rest of the resort.

Excursions: We took one day trip that we booked independent of the resort. It was the highlight of our vacation. Thank you Mike and Dave! (See review for Punta Cana Mike)

This was our first all-inclusive and first time to DR. While we would attempt an all-inclusive again and would revisit DR, we would not return to Catalonia Royal Bavaro. Most of the food was awful and the service was spotty at best. The cons definitely outweighed the pros.

Barcelona & London
Reviewed May 30, 2010

Dear all,
I sincerely highly recommend this wonderful hotel. Catalonia Royal Bavaro, has once again, enchanted me with its beauty and calm.
There is no children allowed and has a very chilled atmosphere, is so relaxing, i love the spa!!!!
and whenever you feel like having fun crowd and good parties, you can just walk to Catalonia Bavaro at any time, where you find the best partying ever!
The design is minimal and exquisit. beautiful restaurants and everything is brand NEW! the hotel opened recently!
is a great place for couples and for family & friends.
i honestly, never write any reviews, but this time, i thought it was a must thing to do!
i hope you all enjoy it and I have no doubt I will go back every year.
best of luck,
CGV

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Gros Morne National Park, Canada
Reviewed May 28, 2010

My husband and I, along with another couple spent the last week of April at this resort. From the moment we arrived we experienced very friendly and helpful staff. Our room was ready when we got there which was great. The maid service is fantastic!!! We stayed in villa 40 and our room was always spotless.
The food on the Royal side was ok. We ate at the Thalassa for most of our breakfasts. We enjoyed the variety and fresh fruit juices. For lunch, we usually ate at the Sea Blue restaurant by the infinity pool. The restaurant had a great selection of choices. We ate at the Thalassa once for dinner and didn't enjoy it so we didn't go back. Other restaurants we ate at included the Mexican, American Steakhouse and the buffet on the the regular side. The Mexican was our favorite, but we also like the Steakhouse.
The beach was great as well. The water is shallow, but it is fine for swimming. We never got up early to reserve a seat on the beach but we were always able to get one. The beach bar had a wide variety of drinks, and Roberto (the bartender) is amazing. If you tip him a couple of dollars in the morning he will bring drinks to you every 20 minutes. We did not use the infinity pool much because we preferred the pool with the swim up bar. Carlos is also very friendly and offers great service.
We did two excursions. The dune buggies were very fun, but if you do not want to get dirty this isn't for you. We also did the catamaran excursion to Saona Island. The boat ride is spectacular and very scenic. There is also dancing and music on board, and overall it was a great day.
If I were to give one complaint, it would be the fact that there isn't much entertainment on the Royal side. There was nightly entertainment on the regular side, but there were also a lot of children there as well. We did try the disco one night and it was ok. I would highly recommend attending the beach party because that is a lot of fun.
Overall, we enjoyed our vacation, and would not hesitate returning to this resort next year.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank anoel890
Boston
Reviewed May 28, 2010

The ground were immaculate, the beach was beautiful and the food was surprisingly pretty good for an all inclusive resort. Definitely take advantage of the snorkeling trip - it was something like $20 per person and only lasted an hour but 40 minutes of that you were in the water and the guide did a great job of taking us to a spot with fish right on the reef. For golfers the pitch and put is exactly that- take a wedge and a putter. its a great way to take a few swings and play a quick 9 holes. there was no one else out there so i was playing 4 balls ever hole...great bang for your buck. The 9 hole course on the resort is also very nice- I recommend going in the afternoon because again it is empty and you can play 2 balls a hole so its pretty much like playing 18. We did venture off the grounds for an ATV tour which was fun and we never really felt unsafe. Be careful though booking excursions- we had booked two and one never showed up so they were supposed to issue me a refund which has yet to show up on my credit card. They also charged me more than we had agreed upon- save receipts, check your statements and be sure to use a credit card and not cash in case they bus to pick you up never comes. All in all a great trip. Oh and if you can get one the private villas with the private pools looked unbelievable.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection
Alsol Luxury Village
Alsol Luxury Village
#86 of 112 in Punta Cana

Been to Catalonia Royal Bavaro? Share your experiences!