“Fantastic Trip”

Catalonia Royal Bavaro
Ranked #45 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 28, 2009

My husband and I went to Catalonia Bavaro on September 25th on the recommendation of my eldest daughter who had been in April. Everything was lovely but we noticed that as the week progressed there were more and more young children coming to visit the resort and also a rowdy bunch joined the same Villa as us midway through the week.......we took a walk over to the Royal side and decided to upgrade for our second week and also our daughters were coming to join us so we made the upgrade for them as well. What was already an enjoyable vacation became even more so as the Royal side was amazing. The rooms were immaculate, food was delicious, private beach and pool was beautiful and the weather was in the 90's everyday of the two weeks we were there. Staff were very friendly and helpful and we are already looking to book again for next year.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
6  Thank ilscon
Write a ReviewReviews (6,022)

Reviewed October 27, 2009

This hotel is right on the beach. The snorkelling is fantastic (photos being uploaded to facebook later), the food is varied and well cooked. The alcohol is great! The trips people must do. The staff are extremely helpful and very attentive and my favourite waiter this time around was still there (his name is Luis) and always had our drinks etc on the table when we arrived. There is nothing bad to say about this hotel except for the fact that on 2 occasions our home was not cleaned by 4pm however this was not a major problem for us we just went to the bar until it was completed. The staff here can not do enough for you. Give it a try it is fantastic and we will be going back for our 3rd trip next year!

Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank chuckles4
Reviewed October 25, 2009

My husband and I just got back from our 11 day trip and had the best time.
The staff is so friendly and always will to help, the food and drinks were great. The room was very nice and clean. Room service was good, cold sandwiched and salads. Our favorite restaurants were the Mexican and the Japeneese. The pools are very nice and clean and the beach is beautiful.
Great resort if you like relaxing and being catered to. No complaints everything was perfect and we can't wait to return.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Veronica212
Reviewed October 21, 2009

just returned frim this lovely resort, had a wonderful time. My son and his grilfriend got married on the beach and the staff did an incredible job of arranging the whole thing.
One thing we didn't like but this was out of the hotels hands was the topless onlookers, who managed to get themselves in some of the shots, every effort was made by the hotel to prevent this but people will be people and some have no class.
Rooms were very clean and well looked after, we left tips of $2-$3 each morning and returned to fresh linen on the beds, fresh towels and fresh flowers. Food was great not many different places to eat on the Royal side but a short walk to the Catalonia next door was another matter...Best place to eat we found was the Japanese. Staff work hard to make your stay as carefree as possible and any tips are warmly welcomed. We would return to this resort in the future.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank madjack2
Reviewed October 20, 2009

Catalonia Royal truly takes the "royal" name seriously. I always felt like my well being was important to them. As long as you weren't trying to scam a free upgrade or request something outside of their all inclusive guidelines, you'll have a fantastic time. We tipped for good service, never excessively to get "better" service. As far as we could tell there was no favouritism to anyone in particular. We were all treated well. Everyone from the gardeners to management greeted us with smiles and hola's everywhere we went.

I travelled with my daughter in her mid thirties, I'm in late 50's. There are more couples than singles at this resort but we never felt out of place. Everyone was friendly and it was fun trying to converse with the European guests. There was no problem in conversing in English with the front desk staff, bar tenders or restaurant workers. The maids generally don't understand English but I was able to communicate my needs. If you have a serious problem I would suggest calling the front desk so they could translate for you.

Rooms:
We stayed in the regular jr. suite. It was spacious and cozy chic. All rooms have large king beds. Others have claimed the beds are hard but we didn't find that to be the case. Our AC worked so well I pulled the blanket on most nights. The trick is to have a room key in the slot at all times so that the room doesn't heat up during the day. The AC will turn off if the balcony door isn't shut tight. Minor room problems were taken care of swiftly.

We left a note to the maid listing which items to put in our room frig. It was always filled to over flowing and extras set on top of the dresser. You get sodas, water and beer, as much as you want. There is a coffee maker and as many coffee packets as you need. I brought a can of Carnation evaporated milk from home and kept it in the frig since I don't like powdered creamer.

Service:
We found the service to be outstanding on the Royal side. Less so on the Bavaro side. Anything we wanted we got in reasonable time. Keep in mind where you are and not back home.

Food:
We were not impressed with the Bavaro buffet. I think the problem was low capacity at the hotel. Obviously it doesn't make sense to have a big spread when few people are going there. Given the food quality elsewhere I think those travelling in the busy season will find a difference.

We only went to the steak house and Italian restaurant on the other side. I didn't care for the Italian but I had one of the most tasty and tender steaks in my life at Rodeo steak house. We went back for an encore and it was just as good the second time we went. Order the Texas steak.

Thalassa was great for breakfast and dinner. I miss my champagne, poached egg and smoked salmon on toast breakfast already. Breakfast is a combination of a la carte and buffet. The pastries were heavenly. Dinner was also excellent. The black pasta was yummy.

CaTa Tapa was a very interesting dinner. It's hard to describe the unusual dishes there. Try it. If you hate the food just go somewhere else to eat. No reservations needed anywhere except the Japanese. If you wanted to you could eat main course at one place and have dessert somewhere else.

Sea Blue is the new beach side lunch spot. FANTASTIC!!!! I dare you to find a better Angus burger anywhere else. Make sure to request mucho well done. The California rolls are amazing too. Vegetarians will find items for them on the menu.

There is a pool snack bar on the other side. Don't miss the excellent pizza and delicious roast chicken.

Creperie over near the shops. They serve great crepes and ice cream desserts, even banana splits. The ice cream is so yummy. If you're either a vanilla or chocolate lover you're in for a big treat. We often skipped dessert at the restaurant and headed here instead.

Bars:
All the bars on the Royal side serve good quality drinks. Get adventuresome and try some different drinks. The great thing about an all inclusive is you can try something different and if you don't like it simply order something else.

There is a new Ma Loo natural juice bar on the beach at the opposite side to the bar. The woman spends all day peeling and dicing fresh fruits and carrots. You can order whatever you want or off a suggested drink menu. Some drinks have granola or honey in them. Very refreshing and a healthy alternative while lazing on the beach.

Beach:
This one is tricky. I have found my perfect beach. I'm a non swimmer and very fearful of waves and currents. There are none at Catalonia. The water is calm and shallow. At high tide it was chest deep. At low tide I could kneel down on the bottom. I would consider this one of the safest beaches I've ever been on. Absolutely perfect for those with young children staying next door.

There is a concrete culvert out in the water. It is full of holes like Swiss cheese. This is a tropical fish hotel. Snorkelling along it and beyond is amazing. Some folks commented they saw more fish here than out on the snorkel tours. Bring your own mask and snorkel if you have one. If not, get one free for an hours use each day from the water sports hut. The sea kayaks are fun also. There are several catamarans available too. There are all kinds of water based tours for you to go on. This hotel does not have speed boats or party boats buzzing back and forth all day. It is tranquil and you can listen to the pounding surf on the reef out front.

Yes, there is some sea grass. It isn't slimey nor did I find it creepy. Others may disagree. The water is very very clear so walking around patches of grass is easily done. The bottom is soft white sand and I didn't find any rocks underfoot.

The white sand beach has tons of shady places to sit. We didn't bother with towel games and always found a good place to sit even if we went to the beach late in the morning.

The nice thing about the Royal private beach was the absence of those hounding you to buy something. There was a fellow who occasionally wandered by with a water sports tour book but it was discrete and a simple shake of the head would do the trick. He only approached us once during the week and thereafter left us alone. Also of note, there are no time share sellers at this resort. If you wish to shop for tourist stuff just head right down the beach a short way. You'll find all the usual stuff there.

Pools:
There are 3 pools all together. Two on the Royal side and a large pool with many activities on the other side. They all appeared to be clean and in good condition. Since I'd found my perfect sea, I only went in each pool once.

Activities:
To be honest I didn't bother with any of them but they are available if you choose to go to the Bavaro side. My daughter went to the disco a few times. She said it was okay. It's not like the clubs at home but it was a good place to dance. She also went to the Casino and played the slots. The Casino is small so don't be expecting Vegas.

Summery:
I would highly recommend this property to those seeking rest and tranquility. It's not a serious party place. That doesn't mean you will get bored but the ambiance is such that you won't likely hear excessive noise and boisterous activity. Within a day you'll feel all the stresses of normal life fade from your body.
If you have further questions I'd be glad to help. Message me for info and links to photos.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
22  Thank margadagio
Reviewed October 19, 2009

This was our first time in the Domnican and actually Punta Cana our two girls here here two years ago and said it was amazing so since my wife was turning 50 on the 28th of March it was the perfect birthday gift and let me tell you she enjoyed every bit of it and we would return in a heart beat. This was our first trip all inclusive and I had read up on all the reviews and I was a little hesitant coming to the Catalonia. As soon as we arrived everything went great it was as if everything was planned becuase we were there to celebrate my wifes 50th birthday. When we went to register they said to us we are going to bump you up to Royal side originally I thought this was all due that I had mentioned we were taking the trip for my wifes 50th and this was the Catalonia's doing but becuase they say that we were two adults and on the regular side it was a little full and on our flight there were a lot of families with kids so they were good enough to offer the royal side at no extra charge.
The grounds are emaculate and beautiful and well maintained, we tiped the maid five dollars every day and everything was in order. The beach was beatiful and less busy on the royal side but we would have not minded the business of the regular side. We found everybody to be very helpful and we did not find any problem with the food. If people could not find and assortment of food to coose from then they should stay at home and have MacDonalds. Where can you go where your airfare, hotel all you can eat and drink is covered for under $2500.00 back home alone the cost of a hotel is $150.00 per night.
Fantastic relaxing trip we would do it again any time.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TorontoNacc
Reviewed October 8, 2009

This resort is great! It's a rather large resort with an adults-only side (Royal) as well as the main resort grounds. We spend 7 nights at the Royal part of the resort. The staff is absolutely fantastic! The rooms are well equipped. We had a King-Size bed, whirlpool tub, flat panel TV, DVD player, small sitting area with sofas and coffee table, and a small patio area with table/chairs and a hammock. Our room was right across from the Spa so it was always quiet. Short distance from the Royal-only pool with swim-up bar. I would definitely recommend staying here. I'm ready to book my return trip for early next year. Enjoy!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends