“Great!!!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Hartford, Connecticut
“Great!!!”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

If you are looking for a tranquil environment to get some very much needed rest and relaxation come to this resort. When you arrive check in is short and depending on your arrival time you may need to wait for your room. This was not an issue for us at all. We just went to the Thalassa Restaurant adjacent to the guest services counter and had a delicious lunch. From that point on our vacation was absolutely wonderful. The beach is heaven and the water is crystal clear. There is a juice bar right on the beach serving the most delicious fruit and vegetable drinks. From time to time a hotel employee will walk over and offer you beer, water or will go to the bar and get you another drink of your choice. The bar is easily accessible from the beach along with a nice infinity pool. You can also partake a drink in the pool that's located near the guest services area as it has a very nice pool bar with meringue music playing. There is also pizza served there which was awesome. On Thursday nights they have a beach party which is a real treat and very enjoyable. As far as restaurants are concerned I would say they are pretty good for all meals. If you wish to stick to ordinary American style food for lunch and dinner stick to the SeaBlue restaurant. However if you are daring and like to try different cuisine take in a dinner at Cata Tapa. Just be prepared for some different type of cuisine... Good but different. The Thalassa is a combination of the Cata Tapa and SeaBlue. I do not recommend the restaurants on the other sister resort. We ventured over there once to do the steak restaurant. It was mediocre at best. In general the other sister resort was busy, chaotic and really not what we like in a vacation. No regrets about booking the royal side of the Catalonia. It was worth every penny. Rooms are spacious and clean. Grounds are impeccably kept. No bugs on the royal side but did get bit on the sister resort. Many wrote in previous reviews that they were pestered by time share salesmen, I have to say my wife and I were not pestered once. Every employee was friendly and never pressured us into purchasing anything. They took care of all our needs with pleasure. We would be happy to pay this fabulous resort a visit in the future. My wife and I have visited 13 resorts since 2004 in Jamaica, Mexico and the Dominican Republic as well. I have to say this resort is up there on our list on places to return. I honestly can't see a reason for a person to complain about much of anything at the Catalonia Royal Bavaro but I realize that every person has a different set of expectations. If you expect a great clean room, great food, great drinks, fabulous beach, friendly workers, and tranquility you are assured to enjoy.

15 Thank Bill C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,058)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Plymouth, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 7, 2014

We stayed June 2-6, 2014. Stayed on Adult only side. Booked through southwest vacations. No problems with flights or transfers.

Food was great most of the times. We had our favorites the Steakhouse, Sea Blue, Italian Place. Buffet was good for the most part. Food was a little cold. Lots of choices though. Worst meal we had was at the Japanese place. But I am overlooking it because the rest of the food was good or great.

The one thing I had a problem with was the tours we were hounded about..which were the timeshares. Which they say it isnt time shares but it is. We couldnt even get a towel without being hounded by the towel guy. That was quick annoying.

The maid service was outstanding!! The place was immaculate.! I have never been in a cleaner hotel. The grounds were pristine as well.!

The Royal side is quiet and relaxing. It was perfect!

The service was great! It helps to tip.

Overall its a great place!!

7 Thank Beth G
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed June 7, 2014

My husband and I loved this resort. The Royal portion (the adults only) side is great! There is a party pool, the infinity pool, and then the beach. The food at the main restaurant (next to the lobby) and the tapas restaurant are superb. Any sort of meat is cooked well here. So much so that even though I love fish, I switched to all meat dishes half way through the trip. (The ribs are To. Die. For.)
My favorite part of the trip was the beach party on Thursday night. Great bbq, music, and dancing. The resort definitely knows how to entertain.
Another favorite for me was the snorkeling. You need $20 for a deposit for the equipment, but even just on the shore you see great fish and aquatic life.
We were definitely happy with the resort.

7 Thank Liza S
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Check in was easy and fast. I had asked for a quiet, smoking room, top floor and that is what I got. Great start!
Purpose of this trip was to scout out the golf course. I tried to set up tee times for the 18 hole course but was informed it was closed, had to settle for 9 hole course. BIG disappointment !!! I was told I could play as many holes as I wanted but not what I wanted. Rental clubs had seen their better days, new grips would do wonders for this mixed bag of sticks. The official web site of this resort still said 18 hole course was available when I returned home. So I guess until November when it reopens they are ok with the lie.
The resort is split into 2 areas adult side and family side. The grounds of the family side was nicer in my opinion, more tropical feeling. The adult side could have been in Vegas except it had the beach.
The food was average not great, if you are hungry it's your own fault. Room service was very quick at 3 am. The entire staff tried to please. Hector at front desk and Ernesto at the golf course really stood out, I say give them a raise, management can't afford to lose those 2.
Overall this trip was about golf and I can't recommend this resort to my group. Hopefully 1 of them will find our next resort.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank David W
jackson, mo
Reviewed June 6, 2014

I have found that reading trip advisor reviews are very helpful -- so I hope this one helps you! Overall, this resort is amazing. Top notch service! As soon as you walk in the front door they take care of you. Didn't get the drink at check in -- but got one not long after!
When we got to the room, my husband surprised me by having them decorate for my birthday - a banner on our door, baloons, roses and a note in the room! They also brought me a birthday cake on my birthday!
LOVED the pools. The pool with the swim up bar is fun, meet a lot of interesting people from all over the world, great drinks! CARLOS is the best bartender at the resort -- we loved him -- miss him! The restaurant at the swim up bar is wonderful. Great pizzas in the daytime and really great Thai food at night -- and they have the best server NILSA -- love her!! Carlos and Nilsa really made our stay special!
The beach is nice, had a lot of seaweed but the workers tried to keep it clear. Nice and shallow, clear water. There are tons of chairs and we never had a problem finding one. Being American and not “skinny” I was surprised by all the women (all sizes!) in bikinis – I should have brought one as I was the only one in a one piece! A few topless women too.
At the infinity pool, there are cabanas -- get there early to grab one for the day - nice and relaxing. They serve you drinks around the pool too. The restaurant at the pool is pretty good. Sandwiches during the day. FYI -- we never found a burger anywhere in Punta Cana that was edible! We ate breakfast at the buffet every morning. Really good, lots of choices, omelet bar, french toast was amazing! We also ate at Cata Tapas. It was good but small portions and a lot of items that we were unfamiliar with.
Regarding the family side -- if you go over there during the day, you will come running back. Now we have a 9 and 13 yr old (not with us) but we were enjoying adult time! It was very loud, active, crazy over there! They do have a food bar at the pool with pizza, nachos, fries that is quick and easy. Then right back to the Royal where its nice and quiet!
We ate at the Hibachi on the family side. Mediocre at best, have to ignore the few roaches crawling around -- this was the only place we saw this. The casino is very small but a few hours of fun - 1 black jack table, 1 roulette and about 30+ slot machines, bar – that’s pretty much it.
We played golf one time. Decent course with lots of birds and flora. Only played the 9 hole cause the 18 hole is shut done, this was kind of disappointing as we brought our clubs.
Excursion: We went to Saona Island. We left at 730 and got back at 6pm. It was a blast but lots of traveling. Great experience and I would recommend it. The island is beautiful. About a 1.5 hour bus ride to Higuey, then 1 hour speed boat trip to Saona. You get about 2 hours on the island – includes lunch and a bar. Then a 2 hour catamaran ride back to Higuey – this was awesome! The staff and girls were so much fun and sweet!! Then bus ride back to the transfer, then back to our hotel. Great memories!
TIPS: Bring LOTS of $1s for tips – you tip all the time! We took $75 in $1s and barely had enough. As soon as you get off the plane, you have to pay $10 per person to enter the county so have that handy. Very hot and humid and not many bugs – really no need for bug spray, etc. MUST drink lots of DIRTY MONKEYS made by CAROLS OR EDWARD!

Room Tip: We were on the bottom floor on the back side facing the road between the resorts. It was not loud li...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank blw0808
Laval, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed June 5, 2014

We have benefited much from reading other tripadvisor reviews so we are going to pay it forward with our review.

Third time to DR but first time to Catalonia Royal.

As a mariied couple in our 40s, we booked via our travel agent and the package came from Sunwing but we traveled via Air Canada Rouge (if we can ever avoid traveling on Rouge we would as wew were super cramped like sardines). Having taken advice from tripadvisor posts to buy a tourist card online, we did, with the hopes of avoiding line ups. It was confusing when the stewardess was passing out, to each passenger, little cardboard tourist cards. In the end, we never ended up using the tourist cards we bought online so i wasted $20 US dollars. If you know you absolutely need them cause the airline you are travelling with doesn't pass out tourist cards, then email me and i will pay it forward by sending the papers to you.

arrive at 11:30 a.m. and got ouu luggage 30 minutes later.

if you want to let bell boys assist you, then by all means, but if you do not want them to, then stick to your luggage and a no gracias should do, even if you repeat it.

grabbed cab right away and $30 dollars and 20 minutes later we were at our resort.

the entrance of the Royal side is modest and not open air, like most others.

our room was not ready yet and we were not able to get a 3rd floor room overlooking quiet pool (deluxe junior suite) in villa 36 (closest to beach) but we were offered a room in villa 38 on third floor and it would be ready early so we took it.

we had tried to rsvp an ergonomic pillow as it was essential for hubby who had had nexk surgerry but apparently they were all taken and we had to wait until day three. Word of advice, if you REALLY need one, then pack one (even though it's a pain cause it takes a lot of room!) to be on safe side.

The room:
beautiful high ceiing, some carribean mustiness which is to be expected, AC was okay, balcony with hammock was great, bathroom was nice, fridge didn't keep bevergaes very cold, beatiful decor.

The housekeeping:
she did a great job and turn down was excellent.

the beach/the water:
after a leaisurely breakfast we would head down around 10:00 and got chairs every time, great beach bar service to chairs, the beach is small but pretty good. The first two days there was much sea grass in water but after quite a rainstorm, the waters seemed to have gotten much more clear which was really nice. Lots of fish in the water who are brave enough to swim between your legs. snorkelling was okay.

food:
breakfast at Thalassa was bang on every single visit. I didn't care for breakfast/lunch at Sea Blue as we waited very long for service both times and both times our order was wrong - but we weren't stressed... just preferred Thalassa, which we ate at for the rest of the week. At breakfast you can order a capuccino which comes from the bar and it is terrific.... Lunch at Thalassa had delicious cuts of meat and a wonderful salad bar. We ate at Thalassa for dinner once which was very good and the atmosphere is dark and cozy. We ate at the steak house on Catalonia side with another couple and one order our of four was wrong but food was alright. we saw them trying to enforce dress code with a scantily clad young lady ful of attitude (come on guys - formal means wear some clothes to have a bit of class!), we ate at cata tapa which has a beautiful atmosphere but it was super sauna hot inside. we didn't care too much for the interesting concoctions but we are also not big on fish/seafood so that could be part of it. on a side note, even though there is a wine menu, you can order just a glass of wine and not pay (didn't know that till night 2 - lol). we ate italian one night and were very pleasantly surprised by the service and food. good job guys! we ate on the Royal side sit down pizza and salads practically every afternoon for snack (open till 3 p.m.) - hmmmm. ate the thai food at night there once and again we were surpised by the flavorful dishes.

drinks:
holy moly they are strong and well made. my favorite was the long island iced tea and hubby said the mojitos were the bomb, but don't forget to drink water to keep hydrated and not get too intoxicated.

almost forgot about the fresh juice bar on beach but saw it last day and remembered to try to try something and it was full of fresh vitamins.

nightlife:
lots of rain at night when we were there so we only saw the 70s show...we felt like being more low key so we stayed on quieter royal side.

the piano bar was cool to hang around at night.

crepes at Catalonia side:
big disappointment. no atmosphere. lady inside yelled at us to sit at a table outside. there was no personality to crepes. just a crepe and some chocolat or caramel syrup. I would recommend that management look at the coffee shop at Ocean Blue Bavaro and duplicate a sure thing - like espressos and frappucinos with whipped cream and little tasty treats. but Piano bar at Royal side makes great strong espressos if you crave one. The little boutique of clothing that is not really used can be an excellent location for this specialty coffee shop, don't you think?

timeshare people:
we didn't want to be mean but we were firm with not wanting to meet for "information" or a tour as we could handle it on our own. we were still polite but again, we expressed a no nonsense no thank you.

best kept secret:
we were able to negotiate with angela a sweet deal to upgrade, for our final three nights, to the villas with private pools and we were not disappointed. we were salivating before our trip ovr those rooms but it was out of budget. when you get there, should they be available, you can upgrade. the room we had was 3213 and was not musty at all, the AC was great, the fridge again though not very cold, the layout was vast and the electric black out drapes made us feel like royalty. having your own pool to chill by after being at the beach for a few hours was an amazing luxury. the water is warm, the pool is lit up at night for a fresh dip, and there is even an outdoor shower to wash off chlorine. this upgrade was the highlight of our trip and a late checkout (cause the room was available) was a bonus.

Grounds:
they work tirelessly and the grounds are very well kept. there is a garden for each private villa and we tipped our gardener for his hard work.

we had an amazing time and this was the perfect couple's retreat.

Room Tip: upgrade to villa with pool for a touch of luxury!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
8 Thank quebec-kitten-21
Reviewed June 5, 2014

We returned from our 6th visit and it was better than ever. We we arrived we were greeted quickly by Angela. We received our welcome drink and informed of our room in building 44 which was right across from the pool. We had a room on the 2nd floor. Since my husband has bad knees and it would be hard to climb stairs we asked if we could have a ground floor. Angela was gone for a few minutes and upon her return we had the same building but ground floor. The room was clean and well kept daily. The maid service was great. All the workers that took care of our building were great and they greeted us daily with a smile and a hello. Never had a problem with the room except for the last day when we ran out out of hot water but after a hot day in the sun it didn't bother us.
The beach is quiet and beautiful. You can walk for miles and only run into a few people. There are always plenty of chairs to find a seat. The only problem is some coral broke off from the reef and now is in the beach and if your not careful you could cut your foot.
Grounds are well kept daily and they are beautiful. On one of are daily walks one groundskeeper was cutting up a coconut and offered us some, such a nice man.
Pools are also well kept. Daily and hourly cleaning. If you want quiet make a trip to the infinity pool. Action would be the pool bar. Drinks are always flowing and good.
Restaurants were very good on the royal side with plenty to choose from. We found that on the Bavaro side was not the same. Mainly hit or miss. A nice addition was the pizza by the pool bar that turned into a Tai at night. My only complaint was since the Tai is also by the pool bar half the nights you had some drunk people that would not leave the pool. The pool closes at 6pm and the Tai opens at 7. At 7:30 they would still be in the pool and that does not make for an enjoyable dinner. I think the best option could be is to move the Tai restaurant to another location.
The staff are SO friendly. Always doing their best to keep you happy. Make sure to tip them. I know that some people complain that some do not speak English. Remember that you came to their country and maybe you should learn Spanish.
I would like to name all the employees that have touched our hearts but since there are so many and I would feel awful if I left someone out. So to management give everyone praise for a job well done again. I do have to name just one very special person. Enmanuel who we have known since our first visit. He is kind and always concerned about doing a great job. He was the main reason we returned a 2nd time. We love him and made him part of our family.
So if you are thinking of going here I only can say-get packing and get there as soon as possible. Happy travels.

• Stayed May 2014
8 Thank Puntacana3
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, Director General at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Dear, Puntacana3
Greetings from Catalonia Royal Bavaro! Thank you very much for your comments. We appreciate your 6th visit to our hotel and that you had a nice experience once again with us. We are glad your enjoyed the pool bar,restaurant, staff and all service.

we hope to see you on your 7th visit!
Best Regards.
Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection
Alsol Luxury Village
Alsol Luxury Village
#86 of 112 in Punta Cana

Been to Catalonia Royal Bavaro? Share your experiences!