I have found that reading trip advisor reviews are very helpful -- so I hope this one helps you! Overall, this resort is amazing. Top notch service! As soon as you walk in the front door they take care of you. Didn't get the drink at check in -- but got one not long after!
When we got to the room, my husband surprised me by having them decorate for my birthday - a banner on our door, baloons, roses and a note in the room! They also brought me a birthday cake on my birthday!
LOVED the pools. The pool with the swim up bar is fun, meet a lot of interesting people from all over the world, great drinks! CARLOS is the best bartender at the resort -- we loved him -- miss him! The restaurant at the swim up bar is wonderful. Great pizzas in the daytime and really great Thai food at night -- and they have the best server NILSA -- love her!! Carlos and Nilsa really made our stay special!
The beach is nice, had a lot of seaweed but the workers tried to keep it clear. Nice and shallow, clear water. There are tons of chairs and we never had a problem finding one. Being American and not “skinny” I was surprised by all the women (all sizes!) in bikinis – I should have brought one as I was the only one in a one piece! A few topless women too.
At the infinity pool, there are cabanas -- get there early to grab one for the day - nice and relaxing. They serve you drinks around the pool too. The restaurant at the pool is pretty good. Sandwiches during the day. FYI -- we never found a burger anywhere in Punta Cana that was edible! We ate breakfast at the buffet every morning. Really good, lots of choices, omelet bar, french toast was amazing! We also ate at Cata Tapas. It was good but small portions and a lot of items that we were unfamiliar with.
Regarding the family side -- if you go over there during the day, you will come running back. Now we have a 9 and 13 yr old (not with us) but we were enjoying adult time! It was very loud, active, crazy over there! They do have a food bar at the pool with pizza, nachos, fries that is quick and easy. Then right back to the Royal where its nice and quiet!
We ate at the Hibachi on the family side. Mediocre at best, have to ignore the few roaches crawling around -- this was the only place we saw this. The casino is very small but a few hours of fun - 1 black jack table, 1 roulette and about 30+ slot machines, bar – that’s pretty much it.
We played golf one time. Decent course with lots of birds and flora. Only played the 9 hole cause the 18 hole is shut done, this was kind of disappointing as we brought our clubs.
Excursion: We went to Saona Island. We left at 730 and got back at 6pm. It was a blast but lots of traveling. Great experience and I would recommend it. The island is beautiful. About a 1.5 hour bus ride to Higuey, then 1 hour speed boat trip to Saona. You get about 2 hours on the island – includes lunch and a bar. Then a 2 hour catamaran ride back to Higuey – this was awesome! The staff and girls were so much fun and sweet!! Then bus ride back to the transfer, then back to our hotel. Great memories!
TIPS: Bring LOTS of $1s for tips – you tip all the time! We took $75 in $1s and barely had enough. As soon as you get off the plane, you have to pay $10 per person to enter the county so have that handy. Very hot and humid and not many bugs – really no need for bug spray, etc. MUST drink lots of DIRTY MONKEYS made by CAROLS OR EDWARD!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy the authentic Caribbean at an exclusive, adults-only resort. Its small details make big your stay and the personalized service you receive will make you feel as if you were in heaven. Exclusive suites, innovative restaurants, dreamlike swimming pools…relax in this tropical paradise and enjoy the best vacation you’ve ever had. Have an extraordinary experience, and leave the worrying to us; we’ll take care of you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Groupon, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, BookIt.com, Priceline, Despegar.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Catalonia Royal Bavaro reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Royal Bavaro Hotel Punta Cana
- Catalonia Royal Bavaro Punta Cana
- Royal Catalonia Bavaro