“Great all-inclusive hotel”

GreenLeadersGold level
Stockholm, Sweden
“Great all-inclusive hotel”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

This was our first visit to Dominican Republic and Catalonia Royal and we enjoyed it a lot.
The resort it’s located on a beautiful beach with a lot of palm trees to give you shades when lying on the sun beds. There is plenty of sunbeds so you will always find one. It’s no other hotels next to this so it’s a perfect place for walks on the beach.
We stayed in a room with on the second floor with the balcony facing the lawn. The room was large with separate sleeping- sitting areas and with a whirlpool. The room also has a large wardrobe, larger than an average hotel room.
The resort has a god variety of restaurants. When staying in the “adult” part you have access to all restaurants within the resort. We preferred eating in the a la cart restaurants and the food was very good, we were never disappointed. We could have lobsters for dinner every day if we wanted for no extra charge.
The only negative thing we experienced is the sales persons trying to get us to buy a membership into the hotel/resort chain.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mango60
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, Director General at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear Mango60,

Thank you for choosing Catalonia Royal Bavaro for your holidays in Punta Cana, we are pleased to read your comment on Trip Advisor. We are thrilled that our services were of your expectations, and that you had a wonderful holiday experience with us. Once again thank you, we will be waiting for you next visit.

Best regards.

Ivan Cunillera

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,029)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed April 22, 2014

We stayed at the resort from April 12-18th. Our room was 4228. This is the 2nd floor and has a view of the spa and front pool. There are no ocean views at this resort since the rooms do not face the beach. We met our friends that flew in the day before us and the hotel was able to get our rooms right next to one another. This was great and I really appreciated this. When we arrived we were tired, sweaty, and hungry. Our room wasn't ready when we arrived but we were able to get in a little early at 2:30. We didn't receive a welcome drink like some other people did so I was slightly disappointed since I read about this on the reviews. It is not difficult to go get your own drink but a welcome cocktail sounded nice.
Beach- is small but not crowded since the resort is small too. There were always chairs available in the shade and sun. I've read about this towel game but don't understand it. We live in Las Vegas and the towel game is crazy here at the pools so maybe I'm just use to it. People say get up early but I say get up when you want because you're on vacation!! There will be chairs. Don't worry. We were able to snorkel right off our beach. The fish actually would follow us even when we didn't have food. The water was beautiful. There were times it was luke warm and felt so amazing. We did a banana ride that was 10 dollars a person. It looked fun but we tipped it while being pulled in the water by a boat and I lost my sun glasses. Oh well! I bought more.
Pools-There are two pools on the Royal side. Both are of good size and not crowded at all. We enjoyed the front pool with the swim up bar the most! Drinks were always flowing and it is less windy by the pool in comparison to the beach. It seemed that people would be at the beach in the morning then in the late afternoon they would come to the pool. There are two hot tubs as well that were nice on a few occasions when I got a little chilly.
Spa-I got two massages while there and both were on the beach. The massage was 71 US dollars for 55 minutes. I really enjoyed my massages, clearly since I got two, but I do feel that this is a little steep in price. I worked out once. Small gym but it has AC, towels, water bottles, weights, elliptical, and two treadmills. I wish the spa offered pedicures! I would suggest adding this.
Room-The room was great. We really enjoyed the bath tub, walk in shower, and balcony. The room is large and was always clean. We tipped a large amount of the first day and came back to an empty mini bar. I was confused. On day two we tipped smaller but wrote a note in Spanish requesting certain items like Pepsi, orange soda, beer, and water and these were there the next morning. I found that tipping didn't really increase the service quality but of course we still tipped. You can get room service but there were two times we called and they didn't answer. I would assume they were busy but I was disappointed because we had planned to have breakfast on the balcony one morning but going to the buffet at Thalasas was fine.
Food- Great. Almost amazing. Not sure why people complain. We actually ran into a few people that said the food was enough so that they wouldn't starve. (Not true) The presentation of the food was great at dinner as well. Service was slow but again, you're on vacation! Who cares?! Order an app. and a drink and relax!
THE OTHER SIDE- don't go! Okay, go but go only to the cute, little casino, shops, and bars by the front lobby. . The food was mediocre at best. We ate at the Japanese place. The cockroach that approached my plate would have probably provided extra protein but no thanks! It wouldn't go away and the staff's attention to kill it was little to none. We named it Carlos. :)
The Rodeo Steakhouse was actually decent. The dessert was the best part. We had a brownie with a large scope of ice cream. 'merica!
As a teacher on Spring Break I was trying to avoid children for the week and they were on the "Other Side" So I say stay away for peace, quiet, better food, service, and far less cockroaches.

I wish the bars on the Royal side stayed open till 12 or at least 11 but they close at 10! I wish there was a little more happening at night on the Royal side so that you didn't have to cross over to the "other side" to go to the disco. I would have been content with drinks, music, karaoke, and cigars on the royal side but it is dead at 10. We did drink on our balcony a few times after 10 but ran out of beer. We called room service but you cannot get drinks.

Bring several bottles of sun screen, aloe vera, and single one dollar bills for tipping!

6 Thank Sarah D
Cornwall, Canada
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Hi, first I have never sent in a review on any resort I have visited in the carribean or mexico, but this resort was so good I felt I had to let others know. I have been to the dom. rep. 7 times, puerto plata, la romana and this was my 5th trip to punta cana. This trip to catalonia royal bavaro was by far the best and certainly rates a 5 star, I should mention all previous resorts I visited were at least 4 or 4 1/2 star. Everything was great, most important the service by the large number of extremely very friendly and efficient staff, The resort is so beautiful and very clean, so many great resturants and the food was very good and plentiful. What an absolutely wonderful time we had and this is the first time I can say that I would definitely return and that says a lot, because I have never returned to any resort visited in all my trips to dominican, cuba, mexico and jamacia. finally, if you are planning a trip to punta cana then in my opinion the Catalonia royal bavaro would be a good choice. thank you, Brian

7 Thank brian h
Nova Scotia
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Our 4th trip to the Royal Catalonia and certainly not our last. Thanks to Hector for the room upgrade, it was absolutely a beautiful room and the welcome banner as well. We were wondering why the black bracelets but understood it was for returning guests. This was one of the most relaxing and enjoyable vacations we have experienced. It was great to see the same faces (waiters/waitresses) in the restaurants again, and it felt good to be recognized as well. Thanks to the two Jorge's at Thalassa they are both wonderful men and Franciso and Maria at Sea Blue and Cata Tapa as well and Cecelia who can always make you smile. The staff at the Beach Bar were awesome always checking to make sure everything was okay. We especially enjoyed our meal at the Italian restaurant and ate their twice, again very attentive staff. Franklin at Sea Blue was a treasure and we enjoyed both times we ate there in the evening. Looking forward to returning next April.

4 Thank NovaScotiaBelle
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 19, 2014

I will do this again. We had the most awesome room on the property. Private pool suite is worth whatever it takes to get one. Out of 25 staff members 23 go out of their way to keep you happy. Piano bar has pro bartender/ barista. Occasionally other bars start out great but then fizzle to a little cup of slushie mix. Save the resort tour for last day to keep VIP treatment (it seems). Hengel (maybe misspelled) Angel was amazing. House-keeping should never enter your room without knocking first. But they are pleasant. Must book ziplines.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank sbhun
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Our room was a beautiful suite next to the pool, and the air conditioning was a big plus. The front desk people were very helpful, and we were able to book all our excursions there. It would have been nice if they had told us what we needed to bring to prepare for each excursion though, as sometimes we showed up without proper attire, without expecting a 3-hour bus ride, etc. My advice is to go on tripadvisor.com to see each excursion's tips prior to going on them. The food was wonderful, and I'm a vegetarian. I still had plenty of options everywhere.

AMERICANS---BRING LOTS OF SINGLE DOLLAR BILLS! We got ripped off exchanging money into pesos at the airport, and it was super difficult to find change anywhere at the resort. The ATM only gives pesos, so you have to make a trip to the bank on the resort, and they were stingy with the ones (although I wanted them so I could tip everybody, which you think they'd support).

Overall, the beach here is amazing, the location is perfect, and I loved being away from the busy kid resort next door. I would definitely return.

Room Tip: Rooms near the beach would be noisy until 11 due to the beach party, but you shouldn't be sleepi...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Tammy M
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed April 19, 2014

We returned to the Catalonia Royal for the second time, and again had a wonderful time. Angela and Hector at reception gave us the room we had requested. Upon arrival the door to our room had a banner across it saying "Welcome back". Inside we found a welcoming fruit basket and a bottle of Rum. These are the little things that set this hotel apart from others. The food in the various restaurants was as good as the last time, new being a pizzeria for lunch which transforms into a Thai restaurant at night. Some of the staff even remembered us from the last time and we wish to thank Dominga and Moise for their excellent service. Our room was very clean and well appointed. Our stay was so rewarding that we will definitely be returning next December.

5 Thank Horst S