“Outstanding service”

GreenLeadersGold level
Mississauga, Canada
“Outstanding service”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Can't say enough about this resort--food was outstanding (as a "foodie", this was important to me); accommodation was clean and spacious; evening turndown service was a great touch; and the friendliness of the staff (everyone from front desk, to bartenders, to housekeeping) was first rate. Grounds are impeccable, and the beach is maintained beautifully. Artificial reef for snorkelling was a great touch too. Only a few things that could be improved upon: evening entertaining was sorely lacking. The Teatro entertainment (non Royal side) was bad. Really bad. I stayed 11 nights and each night except for one, we walked by after dinner to an empty stage, or just kids from the resort playing on the stage. The disco opens at 11:00, and after a long day of excursions and sun, that just seems too late. There was no evening entertainment at all--ever--on the Royal side. And other guests have mentioned the annoying habit of some people "reserving" their chaises on the beach and pools in the early hours. The resort needs to address this quickly! Other guests suggested a 2 hour limit, after which they lose their towels and their chaise. Majority of guests were North American (mostly Canadians... "Punta Canada") and there was an occasional language barrier with some employees--nothing major though--but thought this could be improved. This is my 5th visit to this resort, and definitely won't be my last.

Room Tip: Get a room in a building that's in the 40's (I was in building 42). Quieter, better views.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Glenn G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,061)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed March 3, 2014

My husband and I took our honeymoon to Catalonia Royal Bavaro in Punta Cana January 7-15. This was my first time out of the country and to an all inclusive resort. My husband had been to an all inclusive in Jamaica and did not like it.

From the moment we stepped on the property until the moment we left, nothing could have been more perfect! The location is GORGEOUS! It's in a location that isn't on a strip with resort after resort. We were secluded. The grounds were gorgeous! We were greeted at the desk by a friendly gentleman and a rum punch!

Our room was fantastic! The bed was so comfortable, the mini bar was always stocked, the housekeeping always did a wonderful job! We didn't have a hammock on our balcony like everyone else so we just mentioned it at one point to the front desk and within a few hours there was a hammock on our balcony! Also because we were honeymooners there was a fun honeymoon sign taped to our door when we got there, as well as a fruit basket and some Dominican rum.

The pool with the pool bar was just a few steps outside our room. That's where we spent most of our days! The servers and bartenders were always friendly - especially Daniel!

We went on a few excursions - snorkeling and booze cruise, as well as a 4 wheeler through the beautiful scenery. Both were AMAZING! I would recommend both to everyone :) And it was nice that they were only half day excursions because alot of what we wanted to do was just hang out and relax!

The beach party was really fun! They had a very fun party going on! All the restaurants were good! Some we liked better than others, but we visited a different restaurant for dinner each night we were there and were never disappointed.

I would recommend this place to anyone and everyone! :) Thank you to the wonderful resort!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Britnee H
St. John's, NL
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Staff are all great...rooms are great... grounds are spectacular...food/drinks are fine. And, guests are friendly and low key.

Four big issues for us:
1. Could never find a chair at the pool because many selfish people throws towels on chairs and never appear. And the management can easily fix this with signage and a policy that announces removed belongings if no shows for an hour. This must be fixed... first time I have ever seen this so bad. Really missed having some time socializing at the pool.
2. 80% of the guests are North American and 100% of the dance music is salsa and such. Loved watching the locals/Spanish dance but the non-Spanish just sat and watched. And we love to dance too but do not the know the dances ... so open the disco at 10 pm (not 11:30!) and play a combination of music - so everyone can enjoy and dance!
3. The great piano player should have an accompanist so we can slow dance - romance is in the air and the over numerous 45+ group really missed dancing.
4. The Teatro entertainment (non Royale side) is sad, really sad... doing their utmost but needs investment in other than four good dancers. Why not have a DJ who plays some recent and well known videos/songs for North American audiences from 9-10pm -- everyone wants to move!

Wishing for improvements

4 Thank GoodFood&Drink
Newfoundland
Reviewed March 2, 2014

This was our fifth trip to an all-inclusive in the DR. My husband and I enjoyed the food at this resort which is important to him as he is a bit of a food snob. I, however, am all about the beach and I have to say it was lovely, not too crowded and quiet which is what I look for in a beach vacation. I am typically not a pool person but in this case we had an exclusive suite which was half of a duplex unit with a "private" infinity pool so I did actually use it and really liked it. I say it was a private pool because it was only for the two of us but it is not private as in secluded because there is a public walkway that runs the full length of all the duplex units and other guests walk right past you en route from the public infinity pool, beach or Snack Sea Blue (very nice, clean, Bali beds there too). This really did not bother me much.
With regards to the unit I really enjoyed the spacious patio with lounging and dining furniture. The bedroom was an upstairs loft space with a King bed, powder room and large flat screen tv that overlooked the lower floor where the main bathroom (very nice), closet space, safe, second tv and living space was located. The front wall of the unit was all glass with automated blinds and curtains for privacy. It would be hard to return to this resort and NOT stay in one of these units. The only complaint with regards to the unit would be that the living room furniture was not very comfortable.
The best restaurant is definitely Thalassa for the evening dinner. We also really enjoyed Cata Tapa. We did go to the other side for evening dinners but if I returned I probably would not bother. We did go to the main buffet for breakfast each morning and it was quite good. The family side of the resort was very pretty as well with lots of water features, some nice shops, entertainment areas. I did take advantage of the spa which I thought was very beautiful and and serene with great attention to small details. The services I had were wonderfully relaxing.
The walkways throughout the resort were made of concrete but were shaped somewhat like cobblestones and we both found it quite uneven for walking especially when I was in heels! We have no mobility issues but if you do you may want to consider this. I was disappointed with the main reception area as it was very unspectacular, spartan, plain as was the piano bar adjacent to it.
If you are thinking of going, go. There was nothing that would stop me from returning if I got a better price than my first visit....think I paid a little too much but,then again, it was a high season holiday week.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank quietbeachgirl
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed February 28, 2014

This was my first time staying at the Royal Catalonia Bavaro and I think that depending on what you are looking for this could be a great resort or just mediocre. Service is slow to downright poor (I requested an additional pillow my first night and had to call over a period of 4 hours to finally be told they had no extra pillows) and a lot of times you have to ask the same question to about 10 different people. The quality of the linens is poor, and you need to bring your own toiletries. i usually just use hotel products to avoid checking baggage at airports. The bed was stiff and the bathroom is outdated. In fact the toilet is concealed behind a glass wall with no privacy. Also, we never got our room cleaned one day with no apparent explanation.

Now the good parts - the resort is situated on a BEAUTIFUL beach and the food on our side of the resort was great! In fact the lobsters at the grille became a favorite for me and my bf. Despite having poor service, the staff is very friendly. The resort was clean, safe and had a lot of nice touches to it that were very well thought out. The beach huts were great and the smoothie bar on the ocean is a hidden gem.

I think there are pros and cons to staying here. Overall, I liked it. I am just not sure I would go back.

2 Thank lvm037
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Stayed here first two weeks in February, 3rd time at this resort.
Can't believe some of the awful reviews that have been posted on here about this hotel.
It's not 5* Paris, London, New York etc it's the Caribbean!! This is a beautiful hotel with some of the most helpful and pleasant staff. We have watched some guests being downright rude to the waiting and serving staff, not so much as a please or thank you, snapping their fingers, Grrrr, so of course you will not receive back some of the biggest smiles in Dom Rep.
The rooms are great, got an issue? there is a form in you room welcome package, fill it in, take it to reception and it's attended to very promptly, no hassle. Pillow menu is written in many languages, leave a note in Spanish for your maid, it's easy copied from the menu, and it's there for that night.
There is sea grass on the beach that the attendants sweep and collect all day long. Sea grass = healthy ocean! get over it. I've read the beach is "dirty" which is nonsense.
The staff are really what makes this hotel stand out, as I've said before come here with the attitude to relax, kick back, be nice and you'll be rewarded with the best attention this hotel has to offer.
Just a few thank you's to,
Reception, smooth check in, very pleasant staff.
Juana our maid in block 38, we had some laughs communicating, she's a star.
Nilza, Anderson Cooper, Francisco, Juan De De La Cruz at the Thallasa, Thank You
Denis, Alba at the piano bar, Cheers
Sorry can't name them all.
There are many repeater guests return time and again and we have met some lovely friends that we meet up and keep in touch with.
Bring single dollar bills for tipping, it's not necessary but I for one like to show my appreciation for being so well attended to.
It's a 91/2 hour flight from Scotland UK and we wouldn't make this journey if the hotel wasn't great.
Will be returning February '15 for another two weeks.. Can't wait.

17 Thank 12Hester
La Ronge, Canada
Reviewed February 24, 2014

This was our 9th Caribbean All Inclusive holiday, our 4th to Dominican and our 3rd to Punta Cana!
We stayed at Cat Royal from February 12th to 19th, 2014 and we absolutely loved this resort! We arrived at the hotel at 4 p.m. and check in was very quick and organized. We were greeted by exceptionally friendly and efficient front desk staff and the entire process took about 5 minutes. We were taken to our room, we were given building 36, 3rd floor, facing the interior of the resort, room 3644. The room was so nice, clean and smelt fresh. It was cool (AC worked great) with plenty of towels and upscale amenities, and had a very nice Caribbean feel. The room was huge, with a king size bed and nice plush pillows. The rooms look just like they do on the resorts website, except they are actually bigger than they appear to be on there.
The resort is nice and compact, it’s a short distance from the lobby to the beach area, so no matter what building you are in, it’s not far from one end to the other. This is not a mega resort, which is why we loved it so much. It’s a very peaceful and serene atmosphere. Such a great place to relax! Even though it was full while we were there, we never experienced line ups or that “crowded” feeling you have at some resorts. Keep in mind that you have full and total access to the family side if you want more activities and action. There is plenty to do on that side… if that is what you like! For us, this holiday was all about relaxing and reconnecting as a couple and believe me this is the perfect place to do that!
The food here is by far the best we have experienced at any All Inclusive resort. There are no reservations required for the restaurants, so you could decide where you wanted to eat each day and just go! Every single meal we had was just fantastic, definitely one of the best parts of this holiday was the excellent food. I love that you NEVER have to do a buffet if you don’t want to. Every meal can be ordered from a menu or brought right to your room by room service! We got room service several times and it always arrived quickly and was hot and very good. I just cannot say enough about the food, except, don’t miss the California Rolls at Sea Blue during the day and definitely do not miss the Chocolate dessert in the Thalasa in the evening… my goodness that dessert should be illegal, it is just so good.
The cleaning staff was just excellent. They pay very close attention to detail and decorate the rooms with flowers every day! We always had plenty of clean towels and we asked for extra coffee the first day and extra was left everyday after that without asking. The room was kept very clean and always made up before we returned to our room in the afternoon. They did a fantastic job and we want to say thank you very much. I'm sorry I do not know specific names, but thank you for keeping our room so nice!
We spent most of our days at the infinity pool, mostly because it was a very windy week. The beach is nice, it has a lot of palm trees so there is plenty of shade. The chairs close to the water are taken very VERY early in the morning though, so beware if you want to be close to the ocean, where you get the most sunshine, you best be prepared to get up early! That is the other reason we spent our time at the pool. We did not spend any time at the pool with the swim up bar, so I cannot comment on that one. This beach is perfect for long walks. You can go in either direction for miles and miles without seeing any other resorts. It’s wonderfully secluded, and the water is calm all along the way, so it makes the beach walks so nice!
The staff at Catalonia Royal is truly fantastic! Each and every employee we came in contact with treated us so well. They are so happy and friendly and know how to make you feel like a “guest” of theirs! I’d like to say a special thank you to Jorge in the Sea Blue restaurant. He was so good to us and is a very funny guy! We did not encounter one single unhappy or unpleasant employee. Also a huge thank you to Ysabel, your personalized service made us feel very special and we look forward to seeing you again!
Over all, this is a fantastic resort. I would highly recommend it to family and friends. I would most definitely return to Catalonia Royal Bavaro.

Room Tip: Building 36 is close to the beach, 3rd floor rooms give you a partial ocean view.
6 Thank Travel4Fun56
#39 of 112 in Punta Cana
Casa de Campo Resort & Villas
Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Green Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection

Been to Catalonia Royal Bavaro? Share your experiences!