I visited Catalonia Royal Bavaro December 1-8, 2013 with my husband and parents. We went to celebrate my father's 60th birthday. We arrived around 2pm and our room was not ready so we had lunch at the buffet. The food was decent. We were then taken to our room (4004) which was located near the spa and pool. We were right in the middle of the resort which was great. It was a short walk to the lobby, pools, beach and restaurants. The staff was always friendly and the food in the restaurants was delicious. I found that the buffets were the least satisfying, but lunch and dinner were always top notch. We ate at Cata Tapa, Sea Blue (lunch and dinner) and the Mexican, Japanese and Steakhouse next door. I was satisfied and full after every meal! I did not drink much alcohol so I cannot comment much on those drinks, but the fresh juice from Maloo (the juice bar on the beach) was incredible as well as the banana juice at breakfast. I was truly afraid after reading food reviews that I would also be disappointed, but I wasn't the least bit! We ordered room service one night and it was there in a timely manner.
Our room was always clean and comfortable. We used the pillow service and our pillows were delivered right away. The bed was comfortable and the air conditioner worked well. The only warning I have about the rooms is that there didn't seem to be any hot water. The water would get warm and stay warm throughout my shower, but it never got hot. I think that is just something I'm spoiled with and was okay not having that luxury for a week.
The beach was incredible! I was afraid the seagrass would be an issue for me, but it wasn't. The beauty of the beach was so breathtaking that the seagrass didn't bother me at all. It was EXTREMELY windy every day so there was a lot of sand being blown around. We were always able to find loungers, regardless of what time we arrived, and there was plenty of shade for everyone. Once the sun went down, the mosquitoes came out and they were viscous. My husband & I went to the beach our first night there and were eaten up so we didn't go at night the rest of our trip, but the sky was full of so many stars that it was worth it. I took some homemade bug spray that I hadn't used before we went but used the rest of the trip and it seemed to work well while we walked around at night.
We walked down the beach to the shopping center and the shop owners were pretty persistent, but I didn't mind too much. They had quite a few shops but most of them had the same items for sale.
If you're considering an excursion, the Outback Adventures Safari was extremely educational and an absolute blast! I recommend this to anyone who's interested in learning about culture and seeing the beautiful country. I posted a review here: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147293-d2001143-r187277303-Outback_Adventures_Outback_Safari-Punta_Cana_La_Altagracia_Province_Dominican_Re.html
The resort next door was nice and much larger than CRB. We enjoyed the atmosphere of a family resort a few nights but also enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere of adults only at CRB. This trip truly couldn't have been better. If you're debating this resort based on some of the negative reviews (I was), give it a chance and decide for yourself. If you're interested in a relaxing couples vacation in absolute paradise, CRB is the place for you!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy the authentic Caribbean at an exclusive, adults-only resort. Its small details make big your stay and the personalized service you receive will make you feel as if you were in heaven. Exclusive suites, innovative restaurants, dreamlike swimming pools…relax in this tropical paradise and enjoy the best vacation you’ve ever had. Have an extraordinary experience, and leave the worrying to us; we’ll take care of you ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, BookIt.com, Priceline and Jetsetter so you can book your Catalonia Royal Bavaro reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Royal Bavaro Hotel Punta Cana
- Catalonia Royal Bavaro Punta Cana
- Royal Catalonia Bavaro