“A great getaway”

Catalonia Royal Bavaro
Ranked #43 of 114 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 29, 2013

We had a wonderful vacation at the Catalonia Royal. I would stress that we were on the Royal side and I don't think my review would be as high had that not been the case. We definitely enjoyed the quiet and peacefulness of the Royal pools and beach area. We had pretty low expectations in terms of food and drink and were pleasantly surprised by both. We took full advantage of the unlimited drink options and were happy with the quality and friendliness of the staff. I would highly recommend the Cata Tapa restaurant on the Royal side. It was the best dinner we had by far. The themed restaurants on the other side were not so good, but I'm not sure why anyone would expect an Italian restaurant in a resort in the Dominican to be good. The staff on the Royal side was noticeably friendlier and seemed happier as well. I would also recommend asking for a room on the lake/pool side. Our room was on the ground floor on the opposite side of the buildings and seemed a bit darker.
Another pleasant surprise was that there are no other resorts near Catalonia. We went for long walks on the beach and barely saw anyone else. There are wierd shop things about 50 meters on either side of the hotel, but if you get past those, you will be alone on the beach for as long as you wish.
I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: rooms on pool/lake side seemed to get more sun. If you can afford the private rooms with pool, those...
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
3  Thank Nicole M
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, Director General at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Dear Mrs. Nicole M,

Greetings! Thank you for sharing your comment on Trip Advisor, we are thrilled to read in regards of your recent stay at Catalonia Royal Bavaro. It’s a joy to confirm you were surprised by our Royal services and enjoyed our restaurants and accommodations to the fullest. Thank you for recommending us, we look forward to your next visit soon!

Josep Castellnou

Write a ReviewReviews (6,213)

Reviewed November 29, 2013

We spent 2 wonderful weeks at the Catalonia Royal and if I do have a complaint it is that I have arrived home 5 pounds heavier than I left!
The resort is lovely and relaxed with attentive staff, EXCELLENT food with the highlight being our beach meal we had for my 50th birthday.
The staff were always ready with excellent service anticipating drinks required from previous visits to either the bars or restaurants and have I mentioned that the food was excellent!! One of the things that did frustrate me is the insistence of other guests to try to go into the restaurants with shorts on, no shoes or sandals, no tops etc etc etc, I am guessing these people cannot read or they would understood the dress code which in my opinion is wholly appropriate.
If I have a suggestion for the hotel it would be to reduce the amount of sales guys in the foyer trying to get guests to sign up to the Catalonian Travel Club. Efforts would be better used elsewhere and we would have then asked about the travel club rather than being chased. Apart from that we had a great time, would recommend the Catalonia chain (although be prepared for weight gain) and am looking forward to booking with Catalonia Hotels again.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Tim o
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Dear Mr. Tim o,

Thank you for posting your excellent review on Trip Advisor. We are pleased to read you had a wonderful holiday experience. It’s a delight to know our restaurant services and staff exceeded your expectations. We appreciate your valuable feedback, and will share for improvements. We most certainly look forward to your next holidays at Catalonia Royal Bavaro.

Best regards!

Reviewed November 28, 2013

This resort is definitely not a 5 star..I have stayed at several 5 stars in Dominican and Mexico and I cannot rate this resort anywhere near a 5 star...I travelled alone having recently lost my husband. My room upon check in was disgusting...walls were very dirty tub had cigarette burns...linen was soiled. I called reception and they were quick to respond which was good...but it wasn't a good start to my week ... House keeping throughout the week slacked off towards the end of my vacation..tub and shower were left dirty. I went to reception on day 2 to see about upgrading to a swim up room...there were 4 vacant...they had no problem with my doing this until they realized I was by myself then they said I couldn't have it as I was "solo"...met another couple who arrived the next day and they were Able to upgrade to the room I wanted with no troubles...this discrimination really bothered me. I wasn't asking them to discount the price.

The week wasn't all bad however...the staff at this resort are 5 star...except reception of course. A wonderful thank you to Moses in Thalssa restaurant...Daniel who serviced both the pool bar and the beach bar...and Carlos at the pool bar...u guys helped make my stay enjoyable while not in my room. I will also mention the room service I received was the best I hAve seen anywhere...very quick and courteous.

I will not return to this resort...nor will I recommend to any of my friends who travel frequently as I do...management needs to get these rooms cleaned and take more care with teaching their reception on customer service and not discriminate...I travel frequently and would have loved to add this resort to my returning resorts but due to the discriminating solo guests...I cannot.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Sherry W
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2013

Dear Sherry W,

Greetings. Thank you for your recent stay, we appreciate your time invested in this comment. We are sorry for the setbacks presented upon arrival; our front desk staff was pleased to promptly assist you. In regards of the room upgrade these are always subject to the availability, we must clarify the resort does not discriminate guests. We provide the services to all guests equally. We apologize for this misunderstanding.

Please know Carlos, Moises and Daniel will be congratulated on your behalf. Once again thank you, we hope to have the honor to show the excellent service we know in the future.

Reviewed November 27, 2013

Key highlight - Inconsistent and not up to 5 stars standard.

1. Good things: beautiful nature, easy going and friendly staff, excellent room service and cleaning, great natural juices beach bar... and that's about it that can be rated as 5 star.

2. Bad things: poor rooms quality (damaged doors, fallen lights, sloppy paint spot repair, non-functional safe), run down equipment, regular waiting lines to restaurant for breakfast, bad wi-fi connection, occationally dirty pool.

If you care about quality of accomodations - don't go.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Alex Z
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2013

Dear Mrs./ Mr. Alex Z,

Thank you for choosing Catalonia Royal Bavaro for your holidays, we appreciate your time invested in this comment.

We are glad to confirm you received a friendly and efficient service form our staff, and enjoyed specially our Maloo Bar. In regards of the setbacks presented please receive our apologies for the inconvenience; we are sorry to not achieve your expectations.

We are disappointed of not receiving these reports to promptly assist you. Once again thank you, we hope to have the chance of a second visit, to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed November 26, 2013

We arrived to find out they were overbooked and could not give us the room we had originally booked. Instead we were asked to stay in a lower room for half the time and then we would have the upgraded suite with a pool for the second half of our trip. They did make good on that and we were pleased with the upgrade. Both rooms were clean and we were happy with each room. The food on premises was mostly good. Dinner was by far the best meal of the day. The beach leaves a little to be desired. As it is adults only we found no entertainment...instead you had to go to the family side. It wasn't a far walk but for an all inclusive they could have something. The drinks are your typical lousy drinks that you get...except for the mamajuana which is AMAZING!!!! A nice stay overall. Relaxing and you will not have to do anything if that is your style. It is pretty much impossible to leave the resort. You are stuck there unless you plan an excursion.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank letsgettraveling
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Dear Mrs. / Mr. letsgettraveling,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor and for choosing us for your holidays in Punta Cana. We would like to apologize for the inconvenience presented upon arrival, we are glad we were of assistance and you found our accommodations and restaurants of your expectations. In regards of the entertainment we must clarify we count with a live piano player, beach party plus all the activities at our sister resort Catalonia Bavaro. Thank you for your feedback and suggestions, we wish to be your choice once again in the near future.

Reviewed November 26, 2013

We were there Nov.10-16 and we had an amazing time. It was the perfect anniversary getaway. From reading all of the mixed reviews, i was a little nervous. From the moment we arrived to the lobby we were pampered. Marco I believe and rest of the front desk were very friendly and made us feel welcome. It didnt take long to check in and get to our room. We were in villa 40 first floor, while i would have prefer a better view, the room had all we needed. Very clean and everything worked! The food in our opinion was delicious. We loved the Beach Snack Bar. The staff was incredible and made us feel as if they knew us from years... Cecilia made the best drinks. Santana (i cant remember his first name) also made amazing drinks and was very attentive. But everyone is general was great. We were sad to leave and would def. go back....

Thank you to everyone....it really was a great resort and we had excellent time....

4  Thank Fabi604

Dear Mrs./ Mr. Fabi604,

Greetings! Thank you for sharing your comment on Trip Advisor, we are enchanted to confirm with your review that exceeded your expectations. It’s a pleasure to read you received an exceptional service from our staff; we will make sure to congratulate them on your behalf.

Thank you for your excellent remarks of our services, we are content you enjoyed our variety of restaurants. Once again thank you, we look forward to welcome you back soon at Catalonia Royal Bavaro.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

We stayed at this hotel last year and it was amazing. Due to this, we decided to return here again this year. Unfortunately, we cannot say the same about our experience this year. It was truly disappointing. In my opinion, the hotel has deteriorated greatly. This bothers me greatly as I absolutely loved this resort the first time around but there were too many issues this time.

Prior to leaving, we made a specific room request directly with the hotel. We wanted to stay in the same pool suite we had the previous year. Although I understand it was a request and could not be guaranteed, I feel as a returning guest in one of their high end rooms more effort should have been made to honour what I had asked for. Upon checking in, when we realized our request was not honoured, I asked again about getting the specific room I had requested. Without checking his computer I was snidely informed NO-no friendliness or empathy at all. At that point I asked the gentleman at reception to speak with the manager which he refused. He was very nonchalant and unsympathetic to my distress. He did eventually get the reception supervisor to come speak with me who agreed to change rooms but not until our third day. For that, I am extremely grateful and commend Angela for her valued service.

Room: In our first room the shower leaked all over the suite. Instead of flowing down the drain, the water would run out of the room past the jacuzzi and into the main room. Not only did this cause a mess, it was very slippery and dangerous. Most of the towels given were used to mop the floor! As we were only staying here two nights we put up with it as best as we could.

For the pool suites, three bottles of alcohol are provided in the room (or were on our previous stay) Vodka, Rum and Whiskey. Our room was missing the bottle of Vodka. I tried to report this to the front desk however the person who answered did not seem to understand what I was saying so I gave up.

The pool suites also used to have the beach towels delivered directly to the room. There were none provided in our room. I phoned to reception about this and was told I needed to come to the front desk to get a towel card so I could get the towels from the booth in the pool area. This was confusing as I had been told by the front desk when I checked in my beach towels would be delivered to my room and I did not need the towel cards. After about ten minutes trying to explain this to the gentleman on the phone he finally agreed to send the towels to the room. Please note: these towels were never replaced/changed the whole week I was there which was different from last year where they were replaced each evening with turn down service.

The first room we were in the housekeeping was not very good at all. The room was barely cleaned and there were no added touches like flowers or towel art. However, the girl in our second room was wonderful. She was so friendly and went out of her way with little touches! I'm sorry but I never got her name but she really made up for the many negatives!

Unfortunately, the pool in both suites was dirty and grimy. They definitely have not been cleaned/scrubbed in a long time. They were however treated with chlorine which may be their idea of cleaning.

Food: The food was average at best-definitely not worthy of a five star resort. For the most part, I never received what I ordered in the snack bar (sea blue) even though I pointed directly to it in the menu. A request for a well done steak came out as raw-literally blood all over my plate before even cutting it. Sent it back and was still returned to me raw. Several times I went without eating because of either the poor taste of what I ordered or getting something completely different from what I ordered. It became easier just to order from the limited room service menu so I was guaranteed to get what I asked for.

The Cata Tapa restaurant focuses more on presentation than on taste. I only ate there once this time as the one meal i had here had me gagging at the table. Sorry, but really disgusting...

Thalahassa was probably the best restaurant overall. Great salad bar and good menu choices. The staff in here are also extremely professional and very friendly.

Pools and Beach: As we had our own pool, we never sat at the infinity or main pool. The towel game is in full swing at the infinity pool from what I observed. I would sit on the patio and watch people lay claim to the beds before 6am. It wasn't until later in the day (sometimes early afternoon) that they came back to use them.

The beach has a lot of seagrass but the staff are always working hard to have it cleared. It's not a very large area but enough to enjoy. Be warned there are lots of people trying to sell tours on the beach who refuse to take no for an answer-very irritating.

Since the last time here, they seem to be trying to sell the property as some sort of timeshares. All morning long, people were touring the grounds and rooms with guys from the lobby. I was approached while I was checking in by a guy called Bernie who never left me alone my whole vacation. I felt hounded and would literally try to hide when I saw him approach! He would even come and stand on the opposite side of our pool while we were sunbathing trying to get us to take the tour with him. It was extremely uncomfortable and soured my vacation. I came for peace and quiet and did not appreciate being harassed after paying so much as I did to stay here.

By the way, don't bother to like their page on Facebook. It says you will get a free gift if you like their page, which I did, but never received anything!

Unfortunately, I would have loved to give a better review. I really loved the Catalonia Royal the first time around but this time it was not up to the standard I remembered. I'm not sure if I would choose to stay here again. I feel as a returning guest more effort should have been made to fulfill my requests. The only reason i would consider staying again would be the layout of the pool suites and the friendliness of the staff. However, if it becomes a timeshare property as indicated by my last visit, sadly I will probably stay away...

2  Thank Rainebo

Dear Mrs. / Mr. Rainebo,

Greetings from Catalonia Royal Bavaro, thank you for choosing us for your second holidays. We appreciate your time invested in sharing your feedback with us. We provide rigorous follow up to all comments to make sure these can promptly be resolved and don’t repeat in the future.

Please receive our sincere apologies for not being able to exceed your expectations. We must clarify room request are always subject to the resort availability, we will share your appraisals to Angela for her assistance. We must clarify the resort is not a time share property. We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back soon to prove ourselves.