Everything was great--including the price. As a heads up--this is definitely a place for couples. I went with my roommate, which was fine--but on occasion we felt a bit out of place with all of the lovey-dovey couples. That being said, we've discussed going back sometime when we're both in relationships because we had a great time!
The food was good--not really anything to write home about, but solidly good. Lots of variety, and plenty of it.
The service was fantastic. Everyone was very nice and helpful, we had fantastic drink service on the beach. Anyone who didn't like the service was probably not particularly nice to the service. I found that a smile and a "thank you" (in English or Spanish) was well-received, and that everyone tried harder when they knew you weren't THAT guest. Also, I saw a lot of people neglecting to tip...which may have something to do with your service. It doesn't take much--a couple of dollars at the end of a meal, a dollar or two for drink service. These folks don't make that much--helping them make a living wage is the reasonable thing to do.
The room was beautiful--if a little romantic for a couple of friends with the lovely jacuzzi tub in the center of the room instead of in the bathroom. We did have a bit of the musty smell others mentioned, but I'm not sure how that would be avoided in a climate that humid with air conditioning. We found that it pretty much dissipated with turning the A/C up for a little while and running the ceiling fan. Honestly, I'd rather deal with a little musty smell that you don't notice once you've been in the room a couple of minutes than barely functioning A/C. The air worked GREAT. In fact, when it was turned up, I'd go outside and my sunglasses would fog at first in the warm, damp air. The housekeeping staff was friendly, and were willing to help any way they could.
The beach was perfect, and as long as you got out at a reasonable time in the morning, there were plenty of cabanas to sit under in case of a small shower, or in my case, to get my pasty white skin out of the sun for a while.
The one thing I was a bit disappointed about was that the larger pool with the swim-up bar was closed for renovations during our visit. Again, something that had to happen, and there were workers there every day working on it, so they were doing their best to get it up and running as soon as possible. I look forward to returning and trying out the other pool.
Last but not least, the spa. It's lovely. Both of us had massages, and the therapist was fantastic. The lady scheduling services was a little intimidating, but not bad.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy the authentic Caribbean at an exclusive, adults-only resort. Its small details make big your stay and the personalized service you receive will make you feel as if you were in heaven. Exclusive suites, innovative restaurants, dreamlike swimming pools…relax in this tropical paradise and enjoy the best vacation you’ve ever had. Have an extraordinary experience, and leave the worrying to us; we’ll take care of you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, TravelUp, BookIt.com, Expedia, Prestigia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, HotelsforEveryone, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Catalonia Royal Bavaro reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Royal Bavaro Hotel Punta Cana
- Catalonia Royal Bavaro Punta Cana
- Royal Catalonia Bavaro