“Lovely trip”

Catalonia Royal Bavaro
Ranked #48 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Everything was great--including the price. As a heads up--this is definitely a place for couples. I went with my roommate, which was fine--but on occasion we felt a bit out of place with all of the lovey-dovey couples. That being said, we've discussed going back sometime when we're both in relationships because we had a great time!

The food was good--not really anything to write home about, but solidly good. Lots of variety, and plenty of it.

The service was fantastic. Everyone was very nice and helpful, we had fantastic drink service on the beach. Anyone who didn't like the service was probably not particularly nice to the service. I found that a smile and a "thank you" (in English or Spanish) was well-received, and that everyone tried harder when they knew you weren't THAT guest. Also, I saw a lot of people neglecting to tip...which may have something to do with your service. It doesn't take much--a couple of dollars at the end of a meal, a dollar or two for drink service. These folks don't make that much--helping them make a living wage is the reasonable thing to do.

The room was beautiful--if a little romantic for a couple of friends with the lovely jacuzzi tub in the center of the room instead of in the bathroom. We did have a bit of the musty smell others mentioned, but I'm not sure how that would be avoided in a climate that humid with air conditioning. We found that it pretty much dissipated with turning the A/C up for a little while and running the ceiling fan. Honestly, I'd rather deal with a little musty smell that you don't notice once you've been in the room a couple of minutes than barely functioning A/C. The air worked GREAT. In fact, when it was turned up, I'd go outside and my sunglasses would fog at first in the warm, damp air. The housekeeping staff was friendly, and were willing to help any way they could.

The beach was perfect, and as long as you got out at a reasonable time in the morning, there were plenty of cabanas to sit under in case of a small shower, or in my case, to get my pasty white skin out of the sun for a while.

The one thing I was a bit disappointed about was that the larger pool with the swim-up bar was closed for renovations during our visit. Again, something that had to happen, and there were workers there every day working on it, so they were doing their best to get it up and running as soon as possible. I look forward to returning and trying out the other pool.

Last but not least, the spa. It's lovely. Both of us had massages, and the therapist was fantastic. The lady scheduling services was a little intimidating, but not bad.

Room Tip: We were in villa 38--it was perfectly situated about halfway between the lobby and the beach.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
10  Thank Kendra K
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, Management Assistant at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Dear Kendra K,

Greetings from Catalonia Royal Bavaro, thank you for choosing us for your holidays in Punta Cana! we are thrilled to know you had overall a great time. Thank you for appreciating our staff, we strive to provide a one of a kind service. In regards of the room please receive our apologies for the inconvenience; we are glad to know the housekeeping staff was always of assistance. In regards of the pool we kindly inform you it was closed due to maintenance, our sincere apologies for the inconvenience. We of course look forward to welcome you back soon!

There are newer reviews for Catalonia Royal Bavaro

Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

I have to be careful when judging this hotel not to be too clouded with the stresses we took over there with us. Our expectations were high and our first evening meal did not disappoint. We used the tapas restaurant, the food was delicious and found the service and setting delightful.

The next day, our experience at breakfast was quite different. Our order was taken and it took nearly an hour and several requests for it to arrive. However, it soon became apparent that a small tip at the beginning of your meal ensures a better service.

Like many hotels rooms in the Caribbean, ours smelt damp but they changed the air con filter and this helped, a little.

The rooms are spacious and the maids keep them clean and tidy. The bed was comfortable and the huge bath was a nice touch.

Around the hotel, the gardens are immaculate and full of spectacular colourful fauna. We preffered the pool closest to the beach with the big comfy double mattresses but mostly spent our days on the beach. As you'd expect, the water is crystal clear and lovley and warm. Looking back at our photos, it really does look beautiful.

Our biggest gripe was the food. It wasn't particularly bad but very average. We had to que for the themed restaurants and they really weren't worth it. The steak house is reminiscent of a cheap american diner with wall to wall pictures of cowboys, San Fransisco and the Grand Canyon. I hoped the food wood save it but it really was Frankie and Benny's. The Mexican was the same but the pictures were of cacti, sombreros and men with giant moustaches.

The Italian was nicely decorated but we'd qued for 45 mins and I expected more. The food was nice but not spectacular. I'm writing this a few months later and I can't even remember now what I had.

I definitely would not upgrade to the deluxe apartments, the swimming pool tiles they had were really grimey and full of limescale, not exactly setting the luxury scene.

Regrettably, because of our breakfast experiences, we never managed a meal at the main restaurant but our friends told us they had had a great meal.

• Stayed: May 2013
9  Thank buster50
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, Management Assistant at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Dear buster50,

Greetings from Catalonia Royal Bavaro, thank you for choosing us for your holidays in Punta Cana, we are glad to receive your valuable feedback on Trip Advisor. We are content to read you enjoyed our services at the Cata Tapa restaurant. We are disappointed with the inconvenience presented at the breakfast and thematic restaurants, we take important note to make sure to improve in this area, please know we strive to provide an excellent service for all guest, your comments are taken with outmost importance. Once again thank you for your comment, we hope to welcome you back with the hope of exceeding your expectations.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

The Catalonia Royal Bavaro is a fantastic place for those of us who go on vacation to quite possibly, sleep in, order room service, lay around the pool or beach, and just be lazy. My husband and I chose this resort because of this. We stayed for 5 days and 4 nights The best part about this place is that is is ADULTS ONLY. We love kids, we even have a teenager, but we certainly didn't want to hear them screaming around the pool when we've spent our hard earned money for peace, tranquility and relaxation. We got exactly what we paid for.

The Room:

My disclaimer is that my husband and I are Moon Palace/Hard Rock members. We opted for Catalonia Royal Bavaro because of the PRICE. We knew that the rooms here were not on the same level, so our expectations were not over the top. I read all of the reviews before our trip, and i have to admit that the whole "room thing" had me worried. I wondered about the musty smell that everyone talked about. Well our room was 3853 (I think) and there was in fact a smell. However, after the first night we were over it. I mean we came to the resort to have a good time and chill out, not to fight with the front desk about a smell. The smell just reminded us of older family members homes that we had been to. We were in the 2nd building down from the beach which helped. OK...the smell did take away from the ambiance...not exactly what we paid for.

The Food:

No complaints from us with regard to the food. Based on all of the reviews that I had read, I thought I was going to loose weight. It was fine, nothing fantastic, just fine. However, I do have to say that the steak that I had at Sea Blue was AWESOME!!! The drinks were superb at this resort. We asked for top shelf and got it every time. I am a pina colada fanatic and this place definitely served a good one. We got exactly what we paid for.

The Beach:

My husband and I are not really beach people, but we loved going out in the mornings for a couple of hours of relaxation while listening to the ocean. The beach was not the best that I have seen in the Dominican Republic, but it was still very beautiful. The juice bar was awesome along with the beach service that began at 10am. Again and finally, we got exactly what we paid for.

7  Thank TravelDiva422
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Dear Mrs./ Mr. TravelDiva422,

Greetings from Catalonia Royal Bavaro, thank you for choosing us for your holidays in Punta Cana. We are delighted to confirm our relaxing facilities meet your expectations!

We are sorry to read the inconvenience presented in the room, we take important note to revise with our housekeeping department in this villa in question. It would have been a pleasure to be informed an assist you during your holidays for the best enjoyment of our room accommodation.

Thank you for your kind remarks of our restaurant and bar services, especially the Sea Blue restaurant. Once again thank you! We hope to welcome you back soon at Catalonia Royal Bavaro.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Large rooms with jacuzzi, and air conditioning. Avoid staying on the room closes to the hall/front-desk, because those are the oldest ones. Prefer to stay near the pool/beach.

The "specials" restaurants (italian, american, japanese) are very good and the buffet restaurant plenty of variety.

The pool is excellent, with a pool bar inside, where you can have your drinks without leaving the pool. Absolutely amazing.

Room Tip: Avoid staying on the room closes to the hall/front-desk, because those are the oldest ones. Prefer t...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank JoaoGGuerra

Dear Mr. JoaoGGuerra,

Greetings from Catalonia Royal Bavaro! Thank you for choosing us for your holidays in Punta Cana and for sharing your review on Trip Advisor. We are always looking forward to receive your valuable feedback. We appreciate your remarks regarding our restaurant and bar services, we hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

My boyfriend & I spent a quick 6 night/ 7day getaway at the Catalonia Royal Bavaro. The property is gorgeous and the beach is magnificent. The rooms were spacious and wonderful accommodating staff. We also liked that there was a great mix of people from all over the world enjoying vacation here also. The food was decent and I definitely recommend doing an excursion to see all the beautiful things the Dominican Republic has to offer.

3  Thank la275

Dear Mrs./ Mr. la275,

Greetings from Catalonia Royal Bavaro, thank you for choosing us for your holidays, we are delighted to read you returned back home with amazing memories from our services and friendly staff. We appreciate your kind review!

We hope to be your choice once again in the future!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Staff, food, service, all of it 5 star! Couldn't ask for any more! The pool was clean, plenty of sun beds, pool bar staff excellent and very friendly and welcoming. Great choice of food and beautifully presented!

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Rachaelandmartinderby
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, Management Assistant at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Dear Rachaelandmartinderby,

Greetings from Catalonia Royal Bavaro! It’s a pleasure to receive your comments regarding your recent stay, we are delighted to confirm you have returned back home with great memories! We appreciate your excellent remarks of our staff and services! Thank you, we hope to see you back soon at Catalonia Royal Bavaro!

Warm regards from the team!

Reviewed August 31, 2013

We traveled as a couple in August 2013 on our first trip together, and had an amazing time. The adults only section was very peaceful and relaxing. If you want a more livelier experience, you can walk a short distance to the sister hotel where there is a theater, another bar, a few other restaurants, shops and casino (although the casino is a bit small). The food is amazing. We recommend the Thalassa Restaurant, Cata Tapa restaurant and they have a Hibachi restaurant at the sister hotel (make reservations to the last one or you will have a long wait!). There is a dress code at most restaurants, which was kind of nice getting dressed up every night. The drinks were a bit watered down, but the Coco Loco was pretty good. The staff was very helpful and friendly overall.

The rooms were beautiful. Ours had a king size bed, living room, huge bath tub, shower, bathroom, TV, and a deck to sit outside (includes a hammock). There is a safe in case you need to lock up any items. Room service is included free 24 hours a day, and housekeeping comes everyday to clean your room.

The beach is within walking distance, and there is a bar nearby, where the staff often brings you drinks while you are laying down relaxing and working on your tan. Beware the people on the beach who try to sell you excursions. The hotel staff warned us not to buy from these people. There are several places both at the adults only section and the sister hotel where you can buy excursions if you wish. We bought one to go to Dolphin Island to swim with the dolphins (it was a great experience). It also came with a free ticket to Manatee Park (an animal park). While swimming with the dolphins was a great experience, the animal park was probably the worst part of our trip. Your bus leaves you there around 12:30 and does not come back until around 5. It is a small park that could be seen in it's entirety in less than 2 hours. There are vendors there that harass you into buying things from them. We recommend you stay clear of this park.

There were two pools on the adults only section. The one thing we disliked about the pools is that people were smoking in them (not sure if this was allowed or if none of the staff noticed/cared). There is a restaurant by the pool you could go to for lunch, although we did not care too much for it. It has standard American food such as hamburgers and sandwiches; we recommend the Thalassa restaurant for lunch instead.

Overall, the hotel itself was a wonderful stay. We recommend this place to everyone, and we plan on returning for another visit soon.

5  Thank Stephanie M

Dear Mrs. Stephanie M,

Greetings from Catalonia Royal Bavaro, thank you for choosing us for your holidays in Punta Cana. We appreciate your comment on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay. Thank you for your comments regarding our different services, we are content to read you enjoyed the best of both worlds!

We apologize for the inconvenience at the Pool and will revise for the best enjoyment of all guests.

Thank you for your recommendations! We look forward to your next visit!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol
#38 of 112 in Punta Cana
Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Green Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection

Been to Catalonia Royal Bavaro? Share your experiences!