“"Amazing"”

GreenLeadersGold level
Wigan, United Kingdom
“"Amazing"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

Just come back from a 2 week stay at the Catalonia Royal Bavaro . What a totally beautiful resort ,the gardens are immaculate and so is everything else. I cannot understand why the majority of the Americans and some of the Canadians have given bad reviews do they think they are so superior,they were the noisiest and rowdiest people on the resort.We stayed here to celebrate our Ruby Wedding Anniversary,we had a beautiful room in block 42,always kept beautifully clean ,and the fridge stocked daily. The Restaurants are excellent and so is the food ,breakfast in the THALASSO is very good and we were greeted with a smile and a hug from Domingas and Bestsaida every morning and coffee top ups from Inelza just great.Snacks at the Sea Blue at lunchtime were excellent,this is next to the infinity pool which is lovely you could get sunbeds here at any time of day. Sometimes we went to next door fir a salad at lunch ,the shows there at night were very good. We ate at the Thalasso most nights the food was excellent especially the Beef Churrasco. On the night of our anniversary they decorated our table and brought us champagne,our favourite waiters Carlos &Dario made our night both of them do a superb job and are very efficient.We then finish off with a Capuccino in the Piano Bar its to die for,the staff on this resort are all so friendly and helpful from the reception ,room maids ,waiters, gardeners etc are some of the best we have come across.We can highly recommend this resort and we look forward to returning next june to celebrate our 41st Wedding Anniversary,THANKS TO EVERYONE YOU MADE OUR HOLIDAY.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank mblackburn4
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Mrs. / Mr. mblackbu,

Greetings from Catalonia Royal Bavaro, thank you for choosing us for your holidays. We are content to read you had an amazing two weeks returning back home with unforgettable memories for you anniversary.

Thank you for your great feedback regarding our restaurant services, we are glad they were of your enjoyment. It was our staff pleasure to always provide an excellent service especially from Dominga, Bestsaida, Nilsa, Carlos and Dario.

Thank you for recommending us we hope to see you back soon!

Josep Castellnou

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,010)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

Came here with my new wife for our honeymoon in January and were very happy with the resort. Yes we were able to afford more due to it being one of the more economical resorts, but for the adult side it was amazing. We enjoyed the quite and peacefulness associated with not having families all over the place. The beach was quite compared to the family side, the pools were lazy and restful, and the staff were amazing. We ate at the theme restaurants on the family side the first few days (steak house and sushi house) but once we realized the best restaurant on the resort was in the reception area of the adults side, we stayed their the rest of the time. We had the romantic dinner on the beach but due to a storm that rolled in, they moved us to the tapas restaurant and were were served excellent food with great service. One thing i would say to people that are looking at price point, realize that we could have stayed at a more expensive resort but enjoyed spending that extra money saved on things like excursions into town, the clothing stores, bottles of rum to bring home (2 per person packed btw) and the like. If you are good enough to tip your servers, maids, and bartenders you will quickly develop a relationship with them, it makes for a much more pleasant stay. The young lady that was at the concierge desk was the best part. She took care of everything we needed, and when we left we gave her a gift basket just to say thanks. I have been to many resorts and hotels, and have never felt so good leaving something for wait staff as i did here. They absolutely deserved it. We WILL be back 2014 and hope to see the cool "welcome back" sash on our door when we check in!

PS, to the management, we can not remember the name of the concierge desk person but if anyone asked her about the honeymooners from January that left her the basket, please let her know that she made this trip special for us and we look forward to seeing here their next year!

Room Tip: The rooms that have the wrap around balconies are amazing, we took the honeymoon upgrade and it was...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Ryan P
Dear Mr. Ryan P,

Greetings from Catalonia Royal Bavaro, thank you for choosing us for your honeymoon holidays.

We are delighted to read you enjoyed our Royal services and relaxing settings. We appreciate your comments regarding our restaurant services and staff.

We strive to provide an excellent service, especially at Guest Service; we will of course share your comments and congratulate the team on your behalf. We look forward to your next holidays in 2014!

Best regards!

Williamsville, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

My boyfriend and I vacationed there July 4th week. Loved it was couples only but they had no entertainment we had to go to the family hotel for all of the entertainment. Room was average, bed was NOT comfortable but ok! We were not aware men had to wear pants for dinner and we were not prepared. We upgraded to the suites with personal pool and it was well worth the additional investment! Staff was OUTSTANDING, honestly it's what made the trip so pleasant. I especially enjoyed Carlos Mercedes from the front desk and Andres Sanchez best bellboy ever!!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the suite with pool
Dear Mrs. Margarita_c_1976

Greetings from Catalonia Royal Bavaro, thank you for choosing us for your holidays in Punta Cana.

We are glad overall you had a pleasant holiday with us. In regards of the entertainment at Royal we count with a Beach Party, live guitarist and Piano Player plus the daily shows, Disco and Casino at Catalonia Bavaro.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding Carlos and Andres, we will congratulate them on your behalf and encourage them to continue the excellent work.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future and exceed your expectations!

Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

First let me start off my saying overall, I had a good time. I was here for 7 days. If you are reading this, you know this place is one of the cheaper resorts in Punta Cana. There is a reason for that. Also, this is a couples resort. Singles are here, but not many. For couples, you will meet other great people.

The room,
We stayed on the 3rd floor of Building 46 which is closest to the reception desk. The room looks just like the pics, and was nice. However, we had ants everywhere in our room. Everyday, they put fresh flowers in your room, nice touch, but the ants flock to them. Every wall, floor, balcony, and the bathroom what crawling with ants. The AC kept the room cool, but not as cool as I had wished. Even on full blast. When it rains, your balcony retains a pool water 1/2" thick and doesn't drain. The maids have to shovel it off.

The food:
This was the most upsetting for me since my wife and I are HUGE foodies. The food here is hit or miss and differs day to day. Mexican restaurant took 1 hour to give us food and was terrible. However others said service was quick and delicious. Again, hit or miss. The pork ribs at the Tapa place was the best meal at the resort. But it is hot and stuffy in the Tapas restaurant! If you are a foodie, don't expect great food here. There were several things I just couldn't eat. The buffets are a joke. HERE IS MY BIGGEST COMPLAINT. This place is big (both sides of the resort together). We tried to get into the Japanese restaurant and steakhouse every night, and couldn't . Even at 7:30 and it was full for the rest of the night. For a resort that holds this many people, management should really evaluate restaurant capacity, and open more of them in the evening. We ended up eating at Tapas 3 of our 7 nights, because they were the only one with space. Very upsetting.

Drinks
Forget about your favorite liquors. The best whiskey here is JW red. Best vodka = Stoli . Im a tequila guy and the 1 tequila choice and it is terrible. Their local Rum is pretty good though. The mixed drinks are good too. Try the dirty monkey. Tip your bartender and he/she will remember you. Wink wink.

The Beach:
Extremely shallow. I hated that. You can go out all the way and the water didn't even come to my waist. Im only 5'7". But, the snorkeling is great. There are lots of fish so that was cool. Also, the water is very calm. No waves at all. Expect to see topless women (young and old).

Overall,
This place is not a 5 star resort. What makes a 5 star resort are the details, and this place lacks the details. If you have ever stayed at a true 5 star resort, you know what I mean. This place lacks polish. We usually stay at Excellence brand resorts, and this place does not meet the standards of an Excellence Resort. So therefore, it cannot be 5 star. On the other hand, Excellence resorts are about $1000 more for a week.

Despite my complaints, we had a good time. Considering the price we paid, I think I got my moneys worth. But, I will never come back. The truth is, this place is one of the cheaper hotels in Punta Cana. But the cool thing is, because it is cheaper you get to meet real people, not the stuck up ones at more expensive places. So that's the trade off.

Room Tip: Building 46 has ants
4 Thank K L
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Mrs. / Mr. K L,

Greetings from Catalonia Royal Bavaro, thank you for choosing us for your holidays and for sharing your valuable review on Trip Advisor.

We are content to know overall you enjoyed your holidays. We are sorry to read the inconvenience presented at the room, as well as the restaurant services we take important note to make sure to improve these areas mentioned. In regards of the bar services we count with premium liquors available for our guests.

Once again thank you for your comments and suggestions, we hope to have the opportunity to prove ourselves in the future.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

We've just come back from spending two weeks in the Catalonia Royal Bavaro. On the whole the Hotel was very nice, we had upgraded our room and were in 3604. The room itself was very nice but there was a musty smell with the bed. Now I know what you are all thinking, it's very humid you have to expect a bit of a smell, but we have been to the Dominican 5 times now, and have never experienced a damp smelly bed. However after numerous requests to have the mattress changed, we were eventually put into room 3616, which had no smells whatsoever.

We went to both sides of the complex so that we could try out all of the restaurants, and must say that we believe that we picked the right side for a nice relaxing holiday, as the other side always seemed ver busy.

We would like to say a special thank you to Nilza Castillo who works in the Thallasa Restaurant, and always had a lovely smile and chat for us every time we went in there for breakfast. She really is a credit to your Hotel. I think all of the staff went out of their way to please, apart from Hector in the Sea Blue. He gave the impression that he would only speak to you if you were a young female or a constant tipper, in fact, I don't believe he even made eye contact with me in the two weeks that we were there, and we were at the infinity pool every day!!. All the other staff in the Sea Blue were very friendly though.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool are sunnier.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank timroutley
Dear Mrs. / Mr. timroutley,

Greetings from Catalonia Royal Bavaro, we hope you had a great return back home. Thank you for choosing us and for posting your review on Trip Advisor.

We appreciate your comments and valuable feedback, please receive our apologies with the inconvenience in the room, it was our staff pleasure to assist you for the best enjoyment of your holidays.

Please receive our apologies for the inconvenience at Sea Blue; please know our staff strives to provide an excellent service. We are content to read you received outstanding service from Nilza Castillo we will certainly congratulate her on your behalf.

Thank you, we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

This was my 6th time to Punta Cana, and my first at this resort. Before I get started, one thing I have found with Punta Cana in general that I do not like is it is getting busier and busier. The airport itself is now 75% bigger than when I first started going. The other thing is they are now really targeting the US market and with that, it is turning into the Panama City Beach, FL(aka redneck riviera) of the Dominican Republic, it used to be mostly people from Europe.

We stayed in the Suites that had their own swimming pools. I will have to say that I highly recommend these as I felt they were worth the additional charge. It was nice to come in from the beach after a long day and chill at the pool for a bit, and great for having room service breakfast in the morning on the patio. Also after talking to other people staying in the different buildings, it sounds like the service we received was much better. Minibar was always stocked, A/C was excellent. Also a big surprise was that they delivered 3 bottles of liquor (Rum, Vodka, and Scotch)My only complaint is that the sink drain downstairs had a horrible smell coming from it. Besides that, everything was excellent with the room. The bed was great, and everything worked well.

OK, for the resort in general:

Food:
I do not think anyone runs to the DR for the cuisine. The only time I have had great meals in a resort in Punta Cana is when they would made a traditional Dominican dish like Sancocho. Unfortunately, this resort claimed to have some traditional dishes on the menus, but they were not really the real deal. However, check out the Sunday Dominican buffet by the main pool to get a hint of what food is like in the DR.
Restaurants:
TAPA: First thought you have when you go inside this place is that "Man it is cooler outside than it is in here!" Dishes here are hit and miss. I really liked the ribs and the service was a little better than OK.

Mexican: Service here was really good and we enjoyed the meal we had there. The Mexican food was like what you would get in Mexico, and not in the US. So if you are from the USA, please don't expect it to be the same.

Breakfast Buffet(Thalassa): Service OK. Food OK. We went once then started ordering the American Breakfast to the room every morning as it was really good. It would take about 30 minutes to arrive to the room.

Sea Blue: Service was good. Food was pretty good. It is a great place to have lunch. I liked the burgers here and I don't think anyone ever complained about anything they had.

Beach:
They work hard to keep the seaweed at bay. The seaweed was nothing to be worried about. Not sure why people complain so much about it. The towel game was in effect, but nothing like other resorts I have been to as there was always a good place to be found to layout. You just may not be able to be on the front row.
If you like snorkeling, then this is the beach for you. It has the best snorkeling I have yet to see right at the resort. (If you find a starfish, please do not take it out of the water as they will die)
As far as for swimming, the water is very shallow and will only come up to your waist. Good for small children, but I like to be able to go out a bit and stand and at it at least come up to my neck. No waves here either.

Resort Staff:
Front desk: Very nice, but we did not get a welcome drink when we checked in. However, check in was fast and we were whisked to our room.
Room service: Always very good. I have to say that it was great to see Juan de la Cruz every morning with our breakfast. He is top notch and I hope the resort values him as a great employee.
The only staff that I did not feel were on their game were the ones in the Thalassa for breakfast. But hey, everyone has a bad day from time to time.

In general I would say the staff was better here than other resorts I have stayed in Punta Cana and I hope this trend continues.

I would stay here again and I highly recommend you get the exclusive villas with the pool. Yes.. they are more, but it really made a difference with our stay here and it was worth the extra money.
Hope this review was helpful.

5 Thank BILLJ_GA
Ashbourne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

Stayed there for 2 weeks, rooms were very comfortable and very clean, choice of restaurants on site - great, staff very friendly, went out of it's way to make sure we were fully satisfied, plenty of things to do, lovely views, could not fault a thing.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Bartosz S
Dear Mrs. / Mr. Bartosz S,

Thank you for your recent stay at Catalonia Royal Bavaro! It’s a pleasure to receive your comment on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted to know our services and staff exceeded your expectations! We hope to welcome you back soon!

Kind regards