Let me precursor this review by saying that my partner and I have travelled a lot for business and pleasure. We chose to take a last minute holiday and absolutely love the beaches in the Dominican, they are bar none, some of the most beautiful beaches we have ever seen, so we were quite pleased when I came across the the Catalonia Royal Bavaro. At the time of booking there was no way to book online for one of the private villas in the adults only section. So we took our chances and booked an upgraded suite, knowing full well we would attempt to pay for an upgrade to the villa. Upon arriving, my partner had to sweet talk the lady at the check in desk, and with much persistence, they allowed us to upgrade at the going rate. With all the travelling we have done, we were duly impressed with the overall design and attention to detail. We were the second villa in from the ocean with a beautiful view to the sea on the right, our own private pool and steps away from the adults only pool. The entire space felt luxurious and private, yet available to all the amenities. We quite often would swim in our own pool, or if we felt like meeting other people we would hang out at the adults only pool. The beach was okay, as there was a cement barrier a few yards out there wasn't much movement in the water so that was not the greatest. However the villa more than made up for it. The only reason I would not give this place a five star rating is due to the food. I feel that when travelling food is of the utmost importance, and the food at this hotel was not up to five star standard. Yes I understand that the Dominican is not Mexico and the food is not equivalent to that of North American Standards, however when presenting thematic restaurants with like food one should actually study the area that they are mimicking! We chuckled quite openly when we went into the "Western Steakhouse" restaurant for a steak and they were featuring city pictures of Vancouver and Seattle.... with servers in full Texas regalia....not sure how that relates to Texas but c'est la vie! The food in the buffet was alright, nothing exceptional as well. We did however go to the Italian restaurant twice as it appeared to be the best and most consistent. There was also a very peculiar smell (sewage like) when walking towards the front of the hotel for breakfast, not pleasant at all to say the least! To summarize: the accommodations - villa - were well worth the money at the time (we went in April of 2008) and I felt, that alone was true value for what we paid. The food was mediocre at best, the people and service was always pleasant, and the adults only section was very relaxing. We have quite often stated that if we could build a vacation property near the ocean we would replicate the villas at Catalonia Royal Bavaro as they have truly showcased the Dominican Architectural style to perfection.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy the authentic Caribbean at an exclusive, adults-only resort. Its small details make big your stay and the personalized service you receive will make you feel as if you were in heaven. Exclusive suites, innovative restaurants, dreamlike swimming pools…relax in this tropical paradise and enjoy the best vacation you’ve ever had. Have an extraordinary experience, and leave the worrying to us; we’ll take care of you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Booking.com, TravelUp, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and Hotel.de so you can book your Catalonia Royal Bavaro reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Royal Bavaro Hotel Punta Cana
- Catalonia Royal Bavaro Punta Cana
- Royal Catalonia Bavaro