“B&B Excellente”

GreenLeadersGold level
Hantsport, Canada
“B&B Excellente”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

This was our 3rd time staying at this resort and will not be our last. Every time we return it's like visiting family who welcome you warmly and do everything to accomodate you during your stay. We feel the service is second to none. One morning we were having breakfast early before hitting the golf course and we requested two bottled water to take with us, but since the lobby bar was not opened we could not get any. The waiter Moses felt badly because he could not accomodate us; however every morning after that he presented us with two cold bottles of water which he went out of his way to get for us. This is just one example of the quality of service you receive at this resort.

We stayed in room 3612 on the ground floor which is what we preferred. The rooms are spacious and are kept clean. We always had enough towels and toiletries and the cleaning ladies were always friendly. We were there from April 19th - May 2nd.

There is a wide variety of food and restaurants to choose from since you can enjoy dining at the sister resort which is available to patrons of the Royal. We liked the Sea Blue for lunch since we are beach people and the Sea Blue is close to the beach.

The staff are what make this resort so popular. We have become aquainted with a number of staff on a more personal level and have connected with them every year we stayed there. They really enjoyed the Canadian trinkets we brought for them. One of our observations regarding the staff which make this staff different is that their greetings and friendly gestures are genuine. They also look and appear happy in their jobs. This speaks to the excellent management from the administration who take care of their staff. We will book early again for an April trip in 2014. Can't wait to see our Dominican friends, Moses, Anna, Dominga, Roberto, Julio, George, Luis (management) Francesco Lorenzo and many more. Hasta proximo ano mi amigos. De vuestros amigos Canadian. :)

4 Thank sun192

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,015)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Labrador City, Newfoundland and Labrador
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

On may 11th 2013 my wife and I arrived at Royal Catalonia Bavaro around 12 noon. Our room was ready. (3649) It was great to see all the familiar faces.

ROOMS
-They are very spacious, very clean, king bed, bath tub for 2, shower with lots of hot water, and balcony facing the pool or garden view, with the beach near by. you have a mini fridge with water, beer, and soft drinks stalked daily.(if you want more water,beer, or soft drinks just ask the cleaning staff)

BEACH
-lots of chairs, bar on the beach, and waiters always going around too get you drinks. There is also a juice bar on the beach where you get fresh fruits blended into a great drink. the name of it is MALOO. Mmmmmmmmm. You can get massages right there on the beach. I also high recommend you get the romantic dinner on the beach.

POOLS
-You have two pools on the Royal side, and One pool one the regular side. The pools on the royal side are the infinity Pool is the closest to the beach, very quiet and relaxing. If you want a more upbeat pool then go to the swim up bar pool which is up by the lobby/piano bar/thalassa restaurant. Here is where you will meet a great bartender CARLOS.

RESTAURANTS
-On the regular side of the resort you have 4 a la carts (Steak house, Italian, Mexican, Japanese) for your evening eating. 2 buffets which serve Breakfast , lunch, and dinner. But i eat mainly on the Royal side which has the Thalassa which serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Sea blue which serves Lunch and dinner and the Cata Tapa which serves dinner. The food on the Royal side is AMAZING! All I can say is try it all. Mmmmmmmmm!

THE STAFF
-I can't say enough about the staff. They are amazing!!!!!! This is the biggest reason my wife and I keep going back. If you need anything just ask and they will try to help you. There is so many there that I can talk about: First and foremost Juan De La Cruz. Thank you for everything. Can't thank you enough. Keyla, Denise, Manny, Jorge and many more in the piano bar, Carlos at the swim up bar. Moises,and many more names i forgot at the thalassa. Jenni and many more i forget your names at the sea blue. There are alot more of you that make our trips great and I wish I remembered your names.

If you have any questions about this resort don't hesitate to message me. I look forward to my next trip at Royal Catalonia Bavaro next year.

Room Tip: villas 3800 and 3600 are the closest to the beach and are the deluxe rooms. Lots of hot water for sh...
9 Thank First_timer909
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, Management Assistant at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear First_timer909,

Thank you for choosing Catalonia Royal Bavaro for your 6th visit! It was a pleasure to welcome you back and create once again unforgettable memories for your holidays. We appreciate your kind feedback regarding our different areas, we are delighted to know our accommodations and restaurant services exceeded your expectations. Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding our staff! It will encourage them to continue the excellent service. Once again thank you for recommending us, we will be waiting for your next visit!

Kind regards from the Catalonia Royal team!

Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

Just like other hotels, people leave their towels to save seats because they're losers.... by now hotels should have corrected this. Food above average, room average, they forgot to clean it on day number 2. I think the, hotel is fine, but the erragence of the visitors ruines it for everyone. Those drunks thats like to be heard and dont think about everyone else, if you like to drink and party go to Cancun, dont ruine it for others because you like attention. Anyways, will have to think about coming back or trying some new hotel, maybe I'll rent a cottage.

Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

In my all life, this is the first time that i have been impressed by a carribean resort. this is one of the most beautiful, romantic, and clean property for a couple to enjoy a great vacations.everything, was great start form the staff and the food. to me that is a five star property...keep it up Catalonia royal bavaro...Amazing and speechless!! i will be back again next year if god willing...:-)

6 Thank edy E
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, Management Assistant at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear edy E,

Greetings from Catalonia Royal Bavaro, thank you for choosing us for your holidays. It’s a pleasure to receive your comment on Trip Advisor. We are delighted to know we exceeded your expectations with our services! And that you returned back home with unforgettable memories, once again thank you and we will be waiting for your next holidays with us!

Kind regards

Blacklick, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Catalonia Royal Bavaro May 1st- May 5th. Overall we had a great time (we always try to make any vacation awesome regarless) however, there were some issues that I thought needed to be mentioned.
Upon first impression when we arrived in the lobby we thought ok...modest but modern. We were greeted with warm towels (odd since it was at least 88 degrees outside), but nice. Our request for a top floor room close to the beach was granted however it wasn't ready. So we had lunch in the Thalassa restaurant located right off the lobby. Service was average to slightly below average. It took at least 10 minutes for anyone to say hello, bring water. We actually had to flag someone down. Once we had a waiter, things went well. Food was hot and nicely presented. Flavor was below average (nothing a little A1 steak sauce couldn't fix).
The room...on a scale from 1-10, I give it a 8.5...until the ants came. Later that evening before leaving for dinner I decided to call for pillow serivce. Thats when I noticed small ant like insects crawling all over the nightstand/side table. I called the front desk staff, and someone came immediately...with a can of Raid. She sprayed everywhere I instructed and that was it. I guess if I made enough of a fuss something more would/could have been done. Never noticed another critter the rest of the trip. On the second night, after returning from dinner and some great entertainment at the sister property, we walk into our room and noticed a stomach turning stentch coming out of the air condition vent. At this point we thought about requesting a new room. Decided to go have a few drinks and see if things would "air out". When we got back, suprisingly it was gone. So after all that I rate the room 7. It was clean and comfortable...old and in need of some cosmetic work, but Ive stayed in worse.
The beach was great, a 9. Never had trouble getting a hut or drink service. The smoothie bar was a nice touch as well.
The sister resort was where we went to eat for all of our meals, due to the buffet. The sister property is in walking distance and the food is good. So I can't give any reviews on Cata Tapa. The Sea Blue was nice.
Overall the staff was nice, and friendly. We would reccomend this resort.

3 Thank Monica H
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, Management Assistant at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Dear Monica H,

Greetings from Catalonia Royal Bavaro, thank you for choosing us for your holidays in Punta Cana. it was our pleasure to accommodate you, please know we appreciate your valuable feedback, we take in considerations your comments and suggestions regarding our restaurant services to correct this matters. Regarding the incidents in the rooms it was our staff pleasure to promptly assist you. We will share your feedback with our housekeeping department to revise and correct. We are delighted to know overall you had a great time and received always a friendly service. Thank you for recommending us, we hope to welcome you back soon.
Kind regards.

Management Assistant.
stratford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

I would just like too say my wife and I stayed at your hotel in april and had a awesome time but most of all the room service was great and are server Julio Morillo was so kind and helpful and was a great pleasure to see and take too and made us feel at home

1 Thank edwin s
Dear edwin s,

Thank you for choosing Catalonia Royal Bavaro for your holidays, it’s wonderful to confirm you had a awesome experience. We will make sure to congratulate Julio Morillo on your behalf and encourage him to continue the excellent service! Once again thank you and we look forward to be your choice once again in the future.

Best regards.

Gillingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

We stayed at the Catalonia Royal Bavaro for two weeks, from 23rd of April to 8th of May 2013. We slept in villa 38, second floor, though I had asked for a room on the top floor (there are three floors in each villa), perhaps with too short notice. I had asked for it because unfortunately some people are inconsiderate, and in fact during the last five days we had to bear up with humans upstairs moving whatever was moveable and walking heavily or with heels any time of the night. Never mind, at least for the first nine days we had decent people above our heads.

I think the best feature of the complex were the grounds: fantastic! They were very well kept by the gardeners.

ROOMS:
Good-ish. The bed wasn't that bad. The A/C worked fine. I agree with those saying that some extra light in the bathroom area is necessary, it was dark. The big bath tub absolutely a waste of space, and tacky. Lots of TV channels not tuned: disappointing. Fridge was replenished regularly.

Chambermaids: unlike all the other staff, they weren't friendly and they had a bit of an attitude. I had to ask on several occasion for the towels after they had done the room. I tipped a few times, then I stopped, not worth it. Moreover, they seemed to linger in the corridor from 8 am until 9 pm, if not later, making a bit of too much noise.

FOOD:
On the first day we went to the Thalassa restaurant of the Catalonia Royal for breakfast. I’m sorry but I have to say that we found flies everywhere hovering over and landing on the food, but on the whole guests did not seem to be bothered at all, or perhaps they didn’t show it.

We decided to try the buffet named Gran Caribe at the families’ side, the Catalonia Bavaro. It turned out to be much better: more choice, food sort of covered, and less flies. But…at times some little sparrows and a few blackbirds would manage to enter the buffet area and nick and/or eat food. You see, I love birds (I also feed them in my garden) but where there is food involved animals should be kept as far away as possible. In my view there was some sort of health and safety concern.

At the eating area of the Gran Caribe (there is another smaller buffet nearby the pool, still at the Bavaro) there were lots of birds hovering around, stealing food and…I’m afraid, defecating anywhere. I enjoyed seeing the flamingos and herons and other species of birds flying around me while eating but leaving the food on the table unattended wasn’t an option.

Big up for the staff at the buffet who worked very hard: particular mention for the always smiling and lovely Narcisa and Maria at the gate of the buffet; big thanks to Andres, Margarita and Yassena for their good service. However, On Saturday 27th of April hordes of local families descended into the Bavaro (and some must have slept also on the Royal side) because of Labour Day holiday. Anyway, no problem at all, we didn’t mind mingling with them, they weren’t that loud, but we more than sensed a bit of chaotic atmosphere, of course. We thought in general locals may use regularly the complex at weekends, as we saw a few of them on the following weekend as well. On Friday the 3rd of May the wait staff at the Gran Caribe seemed new to us, never seen before, and didn’t keep up to the usual standard: a disaster! To be honest, they paid more attention to the locals than to us guests.

Guests from the Catalonia Royal eating at the main buffet seat at a privileged area surrounded by water in which there are fish, turtles, herons, flamingos, and other birds: beautiful. The quality of food was OK, the choice was good, but the assortment of fruits was poor (oranges and melons were inedible, pineapple and watermelon were good, mango wasn’t served that often, bananas were OK-ish, coconut seen only twice). They serve a good beer (Presidente). House wine is not bad. If you like spirits, the choice (at the halls' bars) is vast and of good quality. I disagree with those saying that variety of spirits wasn’t good.

We ate only very few times at restaurants on the Royal side, (Capa Tapa, Sea Blue and Thalassa). The Capa Tapa had a nice ambience but on the first occasion we found it quite smoky. Service was OK although at times wait staff tended to joke a bit too much (Thalassa) amongst themselves ending up being not very professional. The Sea Blue is good for quick snacks while on the beach, but we didn’t think food was that tasty.

SEA:
Not that great. Unfortunately, the weather during our first week was windy (wind blowing from north or north-east) and as a result the sea couldn’t express the best of itself and there were lots of seaweeds around. But staff always does their best to clear out. The second week the wind was blowing from south or something and we were able to appreciate the beauty of the sea. Bear in mind that we are talking of Atlantic Ocean not Caribbean Sea.

BEACH:
The beach on the Royal side is small but you can always find free chairs. Lots of palm trees providing plenty of shade. Losers (of any nationality) colonizing palapas on the beach and chairs around the pools by dropping their towels on them at six or seven (or even earlier) in the morning are a common species at the Catalonia Royal. I was able to see them while in the gym at about 7.00am; I felt sorry for them.

There are two bars shaped like small thatched huts, one serving alcoholic drinks and the other serving smoothies only.

Once the sun goes down, say from late afternoon, a few sand flies might welcome you with a few bites. Not a major problem though.

One big problem for us, which is not peculiar to this hotel only of course, was the smokers. They popped up from nowhere like mushrooms, and we had to change area from time to time. Why do hotels not create separate areas for smokers? Let alone the fact that there were quite a few butts scattered in the sand.

KAYAK:
If you want to kayak you need to wear a t-shirt under the lifejackets that are available at the picking point, which is manned by a couple of guys who are not Dominican but from Haiti, hence they may have a bit of an attitude and speak patois. Ignore them and help yourself with the kayak, you need not them.

On the whole we relaxed but I'm afraid we expected something better.

6 Thank aral_sea
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, Management Assistant at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear aral_sea,

First of all thank you for choosing Catalonia Royal Bavaro for your holidays. We appreciate you taking your time to share your holidays experience on Trip Advisor. We are disappointed to read our services did not meet your expectations. Regarding the room requests we must clarify they are always subject to the hotels availability. We are sorry for the setbacks presented in the room; we take note for improvements. We appreciate your feedback regarding our restaurants services, regarding the Catalonia Bavaro services we will provide your comments to the food and beverage manager as a main tool to make sure it does not repeat. Once again thank you for your overall comments and suggestions, we hope to have the opportunity to prove ourselves with our one of a kind service.

Kind regards.