“Excellent!!!”

Catalonia Royal Bavaro
Ranked #49 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We had a wonderful time at the Catalonia Royal Bavaro. The 24/7 room service was very convenient and it was a service not offered at the Iberostars. Also, not having to make restaurant reservations made things so easy. The restaurant and room upgrade policies are smart and practical and I wish more resorts in the Dominican Republic adopted their procedures.

All of the employees were incredibly friendly and helpful. A couple of employees even knew me by name. One employee, Yaicy, knew my name before I had the opportunity to introduce myself. She helped me plan my engagement proposal with the "Romantic Dinner" and room decorations/champagne. It was a perfect night. We will never forget that evening and I will never forget how the hotel made that weekend so special.

Because we had just spent a wonderful Valentine's Day weekend at the Bahia Principe Portillo in Las Terrenas, I was concerned that it would be difficult to surpass that trip. Nevertheless, our stay at the Catalonia Bavaro Royal exceeded all of my expectations and more.

We hope to return to the Catalonia Bavaro Royal very soon.

6  Thank Playa_Bill
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Dear Mr. / Mrs. Playa_Bill,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful review on Trip Advisor! We are thrilled to read our services provided you the experience you were looking for a successful holiday!

It’s wonderful to know we were able to provide that extra special attention for your especial engagement holiday; it was Yeisi´s pleasure to go above and beyond to create unforgettable memories.

Once again thank you and we hope to exceed your expectations in the future!

With kindest regards.

There are newer reviews for Catalonia Royal Bavaro

Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed at the Catalonia Royal Bavaro in January for 2 weeks in the suite with the infinity pool. It was a wonderful vacation. The room was great and we spent a lot of time on the patio relaxing. If you are looking for a relaxing vacation, we highly recommend this suite.
The beach was very clean and the palm trees gave some shade when we need it.
The staff at the reception were very friendly and helpful. Thank you for everything you have done for us.
The food was very good and the buffet and restaurants offered a wide variety of food.
We will go back to this resort in the future.
Thanks to all the staff for a wonderful vacation

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Dieter M

Dear Mr. Dieter M,

Thank you for choosing us for your holidays and for posting your review on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted to confirm your holidays were wonderful and that you had the opportunity of enjoying the top notch accommodations of our suites. We are very content it provided you a relaxing time. Thank you for your recommendations.

Thank you for your kind remarks of our striving front desk staff, it was their pleasure to assist you also we are glad our variety of restaurants was of your expectations!

Warm regards!

Reviewed April 2, 2013

We returned March 23 after an absolutely WONDERFUL 1 week (Mar. 16-23) stay. We were fortunate enough to be able to stay in one of the outstanding and beautiful villas with our own private infinity pool. Everything about this resort is fabulous. Enjoyed meeting our new-friends, Jim and Angela, from England!!!!!! Wish we had exchanged e-mails before we left:(

4  Thank 261KellyS

Dear Mr. / Mrs. 261KellyS

Thank you for your valuable post on TripAdvisor! We always look forward to receive the wonderful feedback!

We are delighted to know you returned back home with a wonderful vacation experience. Thank you for your recommendations of our Exclusive Suites, we are content that the accommodations were of your enjoyment.

Thank you very much and we hope to welcome you back soon!

Best regards.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

I will start with I travel a ton. It's my job and I love it. I can be very picky and find things wrong with just about anything. However, I realize this and try to let most small things go unnoticed. I have very mixed feelings on this resort. Either it was great, or there was a big problem. I gave it mostly a great review because if you are lucky enough to not be in building 44, you are most likely going to love your stay here. (just don't call the front desk) We traveled with 4 other couples.

As to the bad: The biggest issue we had was that 4 of the 5 rooms were in building 44. (other couple in building 46) The air conditioning only worked in 2 of the rooms. When trying to call the front desk, no on would answer 8 times out of 10. (This needs improvement.) It took 2 days and me going to speak with a front desk manager to correct the problem. One room was fixed. (after 2 days) The other complaint I spoke to him about was that the mold in our room was so bad my allergies were acting up. I attached pictures to prove the condition of the room. I asked for a machine that ionizes the air and takes the smell out (I’ve used them in Mexico before.) He told me that previous guest had stolen them and they were working on getting new ones. So we got a dehumidifier in our room. While this helped take out the humidity, it did nothing for the smell or the mold all over our room, including in the curtains. The last room did not get their air conditioner fixed at all. This is where the horrible service comes in. It was the second night and our friends called again on their air conditioning. Maintenance finally came. The maintenance man held an open umbrella up to prove that the air was blowing. Using body language because the gentleman did not speak any English, my friend conveyed that yes, it’s blowing but it’s hot air and not cold. The maintenance man at that point said “uno momemento por favor” and proceeded to never return. Our friends missed dinner that night in hopes of his return and slept in a hot, muggy moldy room again that night. The next morning I went back to find the same manager, to be told that I needed to write out a form letter……no manager would see me apparently……..by this point my husband was willing to pay the upcharge to a swimming pool room. I was told that it wouldn’t be available until Wednesday and that only if no one else booked it? Anyways, so I came back to the front desk and found the manager and explained how unhappy I was that my friends were treated like that. He had their room moved down a level. It appeared as though there were some maintenance men working on the air conditioning units on Wednesday and everyone’s air worked after that. We did get our upgraded suite on Wednesday. I’m sure the entire front desk staff groaned whenever the room 4430 lady showed up, but it was miserable trying to just get a simple problem fixed.

The other large complaint I have is why do the bell boys help you take your luggage to your room but upon check out (even in the suites) you see everyone hauling their suit cases to the front desk? And top it off with you have to be out by noon or get charged but there is no place to store your bags until your departure at 2pm?? This is something that even a Best Western offers to their guests. There must be some way to find a system or place to store some bags and hire a couple more afternoon bell boys. Be prepared to haul your luggage!

Now the good: The servers, bartenders, and hostesses are so friendly and try so hard to make your trip fun and enjoyable. We really enjoyed your Tapas restaurant and Sea Blue for lunch was wonderful. I was very surprised at the prompt service from all of them. The beach party they set up was very well done and we all thought that it should go on longer because it was so much fun.

One other suggestion that I would make..get a better wine list for purchase. Especially on the Royal side. My husband and I spend upwards of $100 when at dinner and the best one you had was about $35……..needless to say, we didn’t drink much wine because of this. Guests pay upwards of $4000 to stay for the week, give them some more reasons to spend their money on good wine.

Room Tip: Avoid building 44 like the plague!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank CopaSis
Reviewed April 1, 2013

What a perfect resort if you are looking for a romantic vacation! This was the first time my boyfriend and I stayed at the Catalonia Royal Bavaro in Punta Cana, and we want to come back next year for many reasons. For instance, the ride in a small van (we were the only passengers) only took 15 minutes from the airport to the hotel.

The hotel is not too big and not too small, with a private beach if you want to go top less, two pools with no kids to disturb you, access to several restaurants with a great wine list ($), delicious cappuccino, quick service at the beach bar, and fresh natural juices served on the beach for those of us who like healthy smoothies.

The piano bar (the piano man only plays 3 evenings per week) has a wide variety of alcohols. The lobby is air conditioned and the reception staff is very helpful (no need to go to a bank or currency exchange office, they will make change for you).

If you have special needs like me (I have several deadly food allergies), they will make everything possible to accommodate you. I even saw two guests in wheelchair on the beach. In my case, I received special treatment from the food and beverage manager (Luis) and have to thank him for translating and communicating my concerns to his staff (not all of them understand English). Also, thanks to Lazaro, we always received great service for lunch at the restaurant on the beach.

The guest rooms are well decorated (modern and minimalist). The mini bar is reloaded every day and the room is cleaned twice a day. In your room, you have your own golf umbrella in case it rains, a hammock on the balcony, fresh flowers daily, chocolates in the evening, large tub for two (but it’s not a whirlpool tub  ), and a big fan above the bed (if you don’t want the A/C).

The Catalonia Royal (*****) is located next to the Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort (****1/2) which is great resort if you are travelling with kids. Even though we did not golf there, we did visit their buffet (very noisy and stressful), their casino (too much smoke) and their gift shops (wide variety). For the difference in prices between the two resorts, the Royal was worth every extra dollar for us!

Our recommendation would be to improve their night entertainment and open a movie theater for the rainy days.

4  Thank Julie H
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We stayed for two weeks at the end of March 2013 and loved it! The staff are excellent! A big thank you to Jorge Pina and Manuel Fernandez! We were always looked after by Keyla and Richaury in the Piano Bar! The beach is great and we spent equal time at the pool as well. We also used the Catalonia Bavaro about 50% of the time and the restaurants were great! Loved the Italian! The weather was perfect, the room was great....what else can I say? Don't hesitate to stay here.....it is a great resort! As Canadians we were happy to see Canadian Club and indulge in a Caesar with real Clamato juice!

8  Thank lester2445
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Dear Mr./ Mrs. lester2445,

Thank you for choosing Catalonia Royal Bavaro for your holidays! We appreciate your review on Trip Advisor.

We are content to know you received and excellent service during your stay, especially from Jorge Pina, Manuel Fernandez, Keyla and Richaury! It’s a pleasure to know our facilities were of your expectation. Once again thank you for recommending us!

We look forward to your next holidays.

Best regards!

Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

this hotel is great...very good service..specially our very good friend julio morrillo thanks for everything best of luck. rooms 4409/4429. the beach is very clean all the time..the food is great..all the drinks you can imagine..so have fun

• Stayed: March 2013
7  Thank dislay305

Dear Mr./ Mrs.slay305,

Thank you for choosing Catalonia Royal bavaro for your recent stay at Punta Cana. We are
content to read you returned back with a great holiday experience.

Thank you for appreciation of services, facilities and friendly staff, we will make sure Julio Morillo receives your kind congratulations!

Receive warm regards from the Catalonia Royal Team!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol
#39 of 112 in Punta Cana
Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Green Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection

Been to Catalonia Royal Bavaro? Share your experiences!