“What a wonderful place”

Catalonia Royal Bavaro
Ranked #48 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I went back to my beloved Catalonia Resort in Punta Cana and for the first time, stayed on the adults only side - The Catalonia Royal. This is not the fanciest of hotels, nor is it the newest one. Here are the reasons I loved it.
It is only 10 - 15 minutes from the airport. After a 4 1/2 hour trip from Toronto, this is a huge plus in my books.
Unlike 1223Love the Sun, I thought the food was great. I have stayed in dozens of all inclusive hotels and the food here was really good.
The beach here is really beautiful, and again, unlike 1223LoveTheSun, we were served drinks on the beach and at the pool.
I found the staff to be very friendly and happy. We were treated royally.
The Tapas restaurant was very good as was the other one by the beach. Great selection of a la carte dishes. They make an amazing 5 chocolate dessert with a chocolate brownie and chocolate ice cream. Yum.
It is very quiet, which is what I am looking for. I would not recommend this side of the resort to anyone who likes to party. But you can go over to the Catalonia side where they have all the usual all inclusive activities and "parties".
On the Dominican day, there was a wonderful barbeque up by the lobby where they did a roast suckling pig on a spit as well as lots of Dominican foods and burgers and dogs. It was really nice.
I will agree with 1223LoveTheSun that this hotel could stand a face lift. But I think, compared with other adults only hotels, the price is more reasonable here.
Everything is clean and the grounds are lovely.
There is room for big improvement with the wifi. It was sporadic or non existant. But better than some hotels where you had to go to the lobby to experience the same poor service.
It was wonderful to see my friend Brennie, at the front desk again. After 5 years he recognized me immediately and we had a great time catching up. Say hi to him for me if you go here.
Feel free to contact me if you would like any further information.

Room Tip: We stayed in Building 38 which is close to the beach. It was very nice.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
8  Thank AuntyBarby
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Dear Mr. / Mrs. AuntyBarby,

Thank you for sharing your review on Trip Advisor! We are content to read in regards of your recent stay at Catalonia Royal Bavaro.

It’s a pleasure to know you return with an unforgettable holiday experience, thanks to our location, services and friendly staff.

We appreciate your kind appreciation of our restaurants services, specially the Cata Tapa with its delicious chocolate dessert!

Once again thank you for your valuable recommendations, we will make sure to share your comment with Breney at the front desk. We look forward to your next visit!

Best regards.

There are newer reviews for Catalonia Royal Bavaro

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have been to Punta Cana 3 times. I have stayed at a different resort each time. Catalonia Royal hit it out of the park baby!! Our room 4648 was fabulous!! Housekeeper, Marcisa Morales, was top notch, gracious and lovely! We relaxed in huge awesome bathtub every night. Always hot water. Sea Blue and lobster excellent!! Ate lunch there everyday!! Japanese steak house just as good if not better than in United States. Waiters were great! Annnnnnd the beach, WOW! Best snorkeling ever on that beach!! I did catch 3 starfish but returned them safely to sea!! Thank you Thank you Catalonia Royal!! God willing I will be back!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank meinohio
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Dear Mr. / Mrs. meinohio,

Thank you for your recent holidays at Catalonia Royal Bavaro! We are delighted to receive your excellent appreciation of our services. We are delighted to know our resort exceed your expectations and received always the best service especially from Narcisa Morales.

Once again thank you for your kind comments, it will be an honor to welcome you back for your next visit to the Dominican Republic!

Kindest regards.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

If you are expecting a 5 star resort, this is definitely not the place for you. It should be a 2 star rating at best! We stayed in the adult section where the bars closed at 11 p.m. There was no entertainment, no water sports or activities of any kind, and the wii fi worked very sporadically the first two days we were there, then not at all. The food was hit and miss...mostly miss and we experienced shards of chicken bone in our sandwiches. The bar staff were consistently great and the drinks were not watered down...so I guess if you are an alcoholic you could consider this hotel; however; their was no pool or beach service...you had to retrieve the drinks yourself. The rest of the staff for the most part made you feel that you were doing them a favour to grace their resort...I could continue..but you get the picture. The place is also very tired and in need of serious repair. This is the first negative review that I have ever written....the worst holiday we have ever experienced .....so you decide!!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 1223LoveTheSun

Dear Mr. / Mrs. 1223LoveTheSun,

Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor.

Please know we are sorry to read the inconveniences presented. We are disappointed of not being aware of these issues during your stay to advise you and assist you for the better enjoyment of your holidays.

We are sorry for the misunderstanding as we have an activity calendar, with the daily services aquatic services, such as Catamaran, Snorkling, etc.

We must clarify the resort counts with nightly entertainment such as the Piano Bar open till 12:00, live music, guitar player, Beach Party plus the daily shows at Catalonia Bavaro Resort, Casino and Disco open till 2:00 a.m.

We are surprised to read regarding our staff, we are recognized for our striving one of a kind, friendly service. Once again our apologies for the inconvenience, we hope to have the opportunity to prove ourselves and exceed your expectations.

Best regards.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We just returned from a relaxing, pampered, very enjoyable vacation. This adult only resort deserves top marks. If you enjoy the following, this might be the resort for you:
3 a la carte restaurants with no reservations required - all fabulous,
a breakfast buffet/omlette restaurant that stays open a little later in the morning for the "sleepy heads", which you can either dine in air conditioned or outdoors,
plenty of chairs at the pools or beach,
enough bartenders day or night to never wait very long for a top shelf drinks,
excellent spa treatments, small gym, but never very busy, free wi-fi (note - very fast in lobby, if needed) and no charge for in room safe. We required a fix for our safe and when they said 2 minutes, we laughed and seriously, they were there in that time. lol
You get the best of both worlds quiet, a little luxury, but only a few steps away, is the animation team, evening entertainment, buffet, casino and a late night disco.
The younger adults might enjoy the Catalonia, better, a bit more lively.
We took a taxi back to the airport for $30 US, an hour later than pick up and still ended up in line at the airport and cleared customs just in time for final boarding for our plane. I have no hesitation in recommending this resort and hope to go back.

Room Tip: Buildings 36-38 near beach, others closer to swim up bar pool.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank newfieguy47

Dear Mr. / Mrs. newfieguy47,

Thank you for choosing Catalonia Royal Bavaro for your holidays, we are content to receive your kind review of your recent stay.

We are delighted to know you returned back home with memories of a relaxing and enjoyable holiday.

It’s a pleasure to read you found our restaurants services fabulous and spa services, we are content that we achieved our goal of exceeding your expectations.

Thank you for recommending us! We look forward to welcome you back!

Warm regards!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed here for two weeks February 11 to 25th. Weather was beautiful. We enjoyed everything about this resort, from the staff to the ammenities, all was perfect. All the staff was extremely pleasant and accommodating, the maids were very friendly and the rooms were very clean. The bartenders and servers were all very friendly and came around consistently all day long which was fabulous and I rarely had to get up. It was a very relaxing vacation which was what was ordered. This hotel is very quiet - if you want more action you can go next door to the sister hotel and party there at night or do activities there during the day.

All the restaurants had good food and there was lots of variety.

The only problem I had with this resort was that there was smoking almost everywhere. Wherever I seemed to be, there seemed to be some rude man smoking a cigar. Even if you said it was making you sick, they would continue. I found this part annoying and maybe would avoid this resort because of this and go somewhere where they had designated smoking areas. Cigars are disgusting to me and I do not want them blowing in my face all day long.

But we really had a lovely vacation at this resort and all the staff were wonderful.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank vanclanOntario

Dear Mr. / Mrs. vanclanOntario,

Thank you for choosing Catalonia Royal Bavaro for your holidays! We are glad that your had a successful holiday with us, enjoying our services and friendly staff, it was their pleasure to make your holidays unforgettable.

We are sorry to read the inconvenience; we count with no smoking areas at the resort, our apologies.

We are delighted overall you had a very lovely vacation! It will be our pleasure to be your choice once again!

Receive kind regards from the Catalonia Royal Bavaro Team!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We spent last week at this resort with 3 other couples. Though we had all booked separately, they were great to ensure we were all in the same building. We have traveled to many all-inclusives in the Carribbean and this was truly our favorite! If you are looking to spend a kid-free vacation, this is the place. This was our first experience in booking a property for adults only and we would definitely do so again. As a Royal guest, you have the luxury of utilizing all of the amenities on the family side of the resort.......restaurants, pools, bars, entertainment, etc., yet can then return when you like to the Royal side where it is much quieter and no children. I found they are very strict in not allowing guests on the family side to use the Royal side. I was once at the pool bar ordering a drink when a female guest from the family side came up and asked if she could have a beer. As her wristband was not Royal and she admitted she was from the other side, the bartender apologized and explained he could not serve her. Actually, she only wanted to see what the Royal side was like and I ordered a beer and gave to her, but it's nice to see that these things are enforced since we paid more money to be on the Royal side.
The rooms were absolutely wonderful. We were in the building closest to the lobby, on the pool-side. I would highly recommend this building or the next one, which are the two closest buildings to the lobby. Poolside rooms in these buildings are the cream of the crop in my opinion. Though I've seen reviews regarding mustiness, we never experienced that at all. Our housekeepers, Narcisa and Sandra, simply could not be beat. Our refrigerator was stocked daily with beer, soda, and water and the snacks were replenished. We always had clean towels and plenty of them. We were also given the opportunity to choose the type of pillows we wanted. Of course, leaving a couple of dollars a day will help you to get great service and these ladies deserve it. Tip them a few bucks a week and you won't have a thing to complain about with their service. They will ensure you have everything you need and then some. They love to make your stay comfortable.
This resort has plenty of shade for the folks who don't want to be in the sun all day. Sometimes it's difficult to find shade at some resorts as the palapas and umbrellas are taken up quickly. Not here. There are plenty both at the pools and on the beach.
Our men golfed and enjoyed the courses here including the one adjacent to the resort. We have been to other resorts in the carribbean in which the courses were much pricier. These were reasonable.
We enjoyed all of the restaurants, though would have to rate the Japanese steakhouse and the restaurant attached to the lobby on the Royal side (can't recall the name) as our personal favorites. However, I must also mention the glass restaurant (not good with names apparently but it's on the Royal side and is next to the infinity pool). The ribs there were recommended to us and they did not disappoint. They were simply THE BEST ribs we have ever eaten. No need for knives as they fall right off the bone and you can cut them with a fork. I've heard others complain about the food on here and my response is simply that if you can't find something you like at this resort, then you are way too picky. Sure, there are things I didn't care for either. I don't care for the hamburger in any part of the Dominican as theirs has a much different taste than ours. However, there is steak, lobster, several types of fish, chicken, etc. and it's plentiful. Again, you won't go hungry unless you choose to do so.
We also appreciated the robes and slippers in our rooms. A nice luxury! The fronk desk staff called at least twice throughout the week to ensure everything was acceptable to us. Wonderful hospitality!!
I also wanted to mention Breney at the front desk. Everyone we encountered at the front desk was truly wonderful, but he stood out. Once again, the hospitality here makes you feel they truly care about your happiness and want to see you return. We certainly will, so thank you to ALL the fantastic staff at the Catalonia Royal!!! A resort can be beautiful and everything you want with all the amenities, but without a wonderful and caring staff to go with it, you don't have a good vacation. This resort is the whole package. Muchos gracias!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank welovethecaribbean2

Dear Mr. / Mrs. welovethecaribbean2,

Thank you for choosing Catalonia Royal Bavaro for your holidays! We are delighted to receive your comment on Trip Advisor!

We are honored to be your favorite resort in the Caribbean! It was our pleasure to accommodate you and your friends. It’s wonderful to know our adult’s only services met your expectations; it’s a pleasure to read we succeeded to provide once again an excellent holiday experience.

Thank you for your recommendations, it’s great to know you found the room accommodating as well as the house keeping services was top notch especially from Narcisa and Sandra we will me sure to congratulate!

Thank you for your feedback of our restaurants, we are content that your enjoyed our variety of menus, especially the Ribs.

Once again thank you for kind remarks of your staff; we will congratulate Breney at the Front Desk, to continue the great work!

We will be waiting for your next holidays at Catalonia Royal Bavaro.

Ysabel Sosa
Management Assistant

Reviewed March 13, 2013

My sister and I stayed at the CRB from 03 to 10 March. First time at adults only- great. Wanted a quiet relaxing week, that is what you get at the Royal. No entertainment team at the Royal, so pools and beach, all quiet. No night entertainment at the Royal but you can always join in the games and entertainment next door at the Bavaro. We walked over to the Bavaro a couple of times to see the entertainment. Shows are the same from one resort to the next. I think I have seen a Michael Jackson tribute at every hotel in the past 6 years. Again, this group works real hard to entertain. Great dancers.

Booked with Sears/Signature and flew with Sunwing. Flights both ways, no issues. Leaving Punta Cana became very stressfull with the long, long lines at customs. But once we jumped on the plane, forgotten as Sunwing crew - fantastic. Pick up at the airport to the hotel, seamless and the same with the pick up on departure day. 15 minutes to the airport, so this is a bonus. (Signature rep at the hotel 6 out of the 7 days if you have concerns or want to book excursions.)

Hotel allowed us to check in early, fast, friendly service, english no problem. Brought us a welcome drink, nice touch. Room spotless everyday. Ladies that clean do a great job, again very friendly. We did tip everyday and we would leave a small note in spanish, asking for lots of bottled water and never a problem. Nilza Castillo greeted us in the Thalassa restaurant every day, always smiling, always concerned with how our stay was going.

Tried all three a la cartes, favourite was Thalassa. Order your eggs from waiter, go to the buffet to get what ever else you want. Tons of fresh fruit, yogurt, etc. By the time you get back to the table, omelette is waiting. Had lunch and dinner there, also good. The 5 chocolate dessert is worth the trip alone! Only suggestion, they need to provide butter and offer salad dressing. I did ask for salad dressing and all they had was oil and balsamic. Asked several times for butter, some times you had to ask a few times. We finally started asking for "manquilla" and then no problem. Knowing a wee bit of spanish is helpful. Again staff here was great at all times.

At the Royal, you have 3 a la cartes. I am a picky eaters but in the week, I did not go hungry. Sea Blue is where we had most of the meals at lunch as it is by the beach. Staff excellent. Food also good. (Same issue with salad dressing and butter)

Tapa restaurant, ribs were great. But not much on the menu for this picky eater. Only had one dinner there. If you like seafood good spot.

The beach was nice, yes there is seaweed, but they are always cleaning. Drink service on the beach plus bar and no wait. Never a problem getting a chair, some times not so easy getting the little huts. Lots of people swimming, snorkling, pulling star fish out of the ocean. PLEASE put the star fish back after you take your pictures. It is not like you can take them home. We seen all kinds of people keeping the star fish. Then you see them at the end of the day dead on the beach or on people's patios.

Two pools, one with swim up bar, seemed to be the most popular spot. The infinity pool by the ocean, pretty quite area.

Had two meals on the other side, once at the buffet, so there was a good selection.Tons of different salad dressings and condiments. Also had a meal at the steakhouse. We heard great things, we must have been there on an off night. Kinda of strange that it is an all inclusive, but when we asked if we could just have order a couple of appetizers to share, we were told no. We could only have one appetizer and a main dish. Being all inclusive, this should have not been the case. But regardless the food was not so great on the night we were there.

Would I recommend the hotel - absolutely.
What would I suggest - bring a thermos mug!
Treat your self to a massage - it is worth the money!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol
#38 of 112 in Punta Cana
Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Green Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection

Been to Catalonia Royal Bavaro? Share your experiences!