6,877 results
All reviews royal side infinity pool piano bar cata tapa thalassa restaurant tapas restaurant the sea blue restaurant tao cat rodeo steak house juice bar royal guests la toscana yuca california roll swim up bar sister resort sea grass
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Me and my partner just got back from Catalonia Royal adults only. All I can say is that this is a beautiful resort. First of all the staff are one of the most attentive, well mannered, humble, and diligent of all staff we ever experienced at any of our travels in other resorts to date. special thanks to :miladis at the piano bar, anna at the thalassa, francisco A. and castaras* at the ocean restaurant, and quite frankly EVERYONE in the resort. Catalonia Royal is a very small resort, but what they lack in size they made up for service and quality. Me and my partner are used to larger resorts so it was kinda a bummer that after the first day, you really were able to view the entire grounds of the resort including the adjacent sister resort. The restaurants at the ROYAL side was a HIT every time we ordered something, and let me not forget GRILLED LOBSTER NIGHTLY SERVED hot and fresh off the grill/ beachside. the rooms were clean, spacious, and modern.

a couple of cons though:
the resort is very small. for those who like to explore the resort it is rather tiny and all the exploration is done after the first day. It is very quiet during the day but gets lively towards the night

the beach at different times of the day is abundant with washed up sea grass. there are workers who clean the beach, but it was just a lot. the main pool was outdated and the swim up bar needed to be moderned up a bit to match the modern design of the infinity pool.

its a damn shame that this resort is connected to the other one. we took one visit to the japanese restaurant and i have to say that that was the WORST food ever. i got scared when they took us to the dessert room, frankly we chose to leave before we were seated. the quality and service compared to the ROYAL and the "regular side" is literally night and day. we spent most of our time at the ROYAL side and didnt feel the urge to go back.

Date of stay: February 2013
4  Thank Arnold N
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Dear Arnold N,

Thank you for your recent holiday at Catalonia Royal Bavaro! We are glad your holidays were very pleasant!

Thank you for your caring comments regarding our staff, it is their pleasure to go above and beyond to provide the best service; it will be our pleasure to congratulate them on your behalf for the excellent work.

We are delighted to know our restaurants services exceeded your expectations, especially our Sea Blue Grill.

Thank you for your feedback, we are sorry to read the unpleasant experience at the adjacent resort. We take note of your comments to forwards to the department in charge at Catalonia Bavaro Resort.

We hope to have the honor to welcome you back!

Kind regards.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

I was there 01/31/2013 to 02/07/2013 and I must say that it was an overall great stay. The only negative remark I must say is that the other side of the resort (Catalonia Bavaro) should not, in no way, shape, or form be related to the Catalonia Royal. The food and the service at the Royal were awesome as opposed to that of the other side of the resort. The food at the Royal was great, particularly The Thalassa (perhaps a bit more variety for breakfast and dinner would not hurt). The lobster grill EVERY single night at the restaurant by the beach was FANTASTIC. The braised pork ribs at the Tapas restaurant were succulent. The Alegria spa, in comparison to those of other resorts I have stayed in, lacked in esthetics and services offered. My room was amazing and was kept very neat at all hours of the day (A special thanks to those in the sanitary dept. for keeping my room so spotless). The beach was not up to par in comparison to those of other resorts in which I've stayed around the world. There were a couple of men who always hung out by the far right side of the beach who were workers of the shops right next to the resort (DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM!!!). They offered my friend and I drugs and I was disgusted and annoyed by such gesture. Some of the local workers who were within the resort (not wearing Catalonia uniforms) would CONSTANTLY approach my friend and I asking us if we wanted to "party" and would use their long pinky nails to call us. Please, do something about that as some of us do not go abroad with the intention of doing drugs! I would like to say a special thanks to Miladiz Ozoria, Jorge Salas, Blanca Bilorio, and Nicolas who works in the Thalassa. These individuals ALWAYS made sure that we were more than comfortable! Miladiz made the best Cappuccino with Baileys and her beautiful smile made me feel as though I was talking to a family member. Jorge was, by far, the BEST waiter I have EVER had at any of the resorts I have ever stayed. Blanca made my birthday lobster dinner by the beach unforgettable. Finally, Nicolas from the Thalassa made my dinners there remarkable!

Date of stay: January 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
6  Thank Dumar R
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I am happy to report that this resort has gotten even better than the last 3 visits. The staff is amazing, Luis, the Food & Beverage Manager, is first rate, reception staff very accommodating.
My husband and I love the beach (wish they had more staff there to serve drinks) and the infinity pool is lovely. The food is quite good for an island resort . . can't tell you about meat because we did not eat any, but there was great variety. We miss the coconut ice cream!! Please bring more coconut items to the menu. While walking on the beach I happily found a ripe coconut, brought it over to the beach bar and the bartender Roberto cut it up for us. What a treat! When the sun is shining and the breezes are softly blowing . . who could ask for anything more?

Ilene L.

Room tip: we like the pool side . . more sun and views.
Date of stay: January 2013
9  Thank ILENEDALE
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2013

Dear ILENEDALE,

Thank you for choosing Catalonia Royal Bavaro! We are content to know you return back home with unforgettable memories. Thank you for being a repeat guest to our resort, your comment proves us we have succeeded to exceed your expectations once again. We will share your kind comment with our staff!

Thank you for your suggestions with the coconut items, we will communicate with the food and beverage department, for future consideration.

We look forward to your next visit!

Best regards.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

I visited Catalonia Royal for my Honeymoon. Instead of getting the 'honeymoon' suite we splurge and booked the 2-story loft with private pool. The loft was amazing. Bedroom and 2-piece bath at the top over looks the living area at the bottom. The patio and private pool is a very decent size and we spent alot of time relazing here. we could order room service all day long and just chill at our private pool and join everyone at the relaxing beach. I reccomend viewing an online tour of the suite catagories and choose the one that best suites your needs.

Food was decent. I loved the restaurant by the beach. Try the burgers or the sushi :) Breakfast at the buffet by the lobby was okay but a bit repetative. I like how you can order your eggs at the table instead of standing in line. The wine was basic table wine, we bought a few higher end bottles. We also brought some from the duty free at the airport to enjoy in our suite. Being in the royal section also allows you to visit all restaurants on the other side and you recieve priority seating. Just bypass the line to the front and don't feel bad about it. You paid for it! Italien restaurant was good. We never did the Tapas restaurant...one thing i regret.

Pools - there are two pools on the royal side. An infinity pool which was a little cold and lonely. And the pool with the pool bar. Keep in mind that its not a place to be loud and abnoxious. If you are in that kinda mood, go to the other side. ALso, there is no entertainment staff on the Royal Side.

Beach - You are one one of the best beaches in the world. I loved it. The water was warm. Plenty of chairs and waiter to bring you drinks. Bring water and lots of sun screen. I got really burnt the second day and had the chills for a bit.

Spa - i did the massage. It was good but they staff are not professionally trained so don't expect miracles :) Just a nice, relaxing rub down.

Overall I really enjoyed my time. We plan to book again for our anniversary; same room-type. If you have the extra $, book the loft with pool.

If you have any questions, msg me :)

Room tip: loft with private pool is the best!
Date of stay: April 2012
6  Thank Cattielovestotravel

Dear Cattielovestotravel ,

Thank you for choosing Catalonia Royal for your honeymoon holidays! It’s a pleasure to receive your comment on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted to know you enjoyed our room accommodations to the fullest. Thank you for your comments and feedback in regards of our restaurants, we are very glad our variety of restaurants was of your enjoyment.

We are sorry your comments regarding the Spa, we take note of your feedback to share with the Spa manager.

We are glad you will be returning, we look forward to a pleasant holiday.

Best regards!

Reviewed February 7, 2013

We stayed at the Catalonia Royal Bavaro in December 2012. We really enjoyed the stay as the place was clean, quiet, and relaxing.

First off, the resort is great as it is probably the closest to the airport. So, you're going to be the first dropped off and the last picked up. That's a real plus as you get every last minute out of your vacation. (Note: I gave location a "very good" because the beach isn't very large).

Secondly, the rooms are nice. Yes, they get sort of stuffy, but you're in the Caribbean - it's humid there! The hot water was hit or miss, but that was a mere inconvenience at times. Not a real negative. But the rooms are large and have nice, big bathtubs and comfy beds.

Thirdly, if you need a lot of stimulation and activity, this really is not the resort for you. It's a quiet resort for lying next to the pool or the beach and sipping a few drinks of your choice.

Finally, the food is good but not great. I recommend the tapas restaurant and the main restaurant at the Royal side. Even the pool-side restaurant is pretty good with burgers, fries, etc. On the family side (where you can eat), I recommend the Japanese place. The buffet is okay too (it's a buffet, ok?). The italian place is about on par with an Olive Garden. The steak house was not great at all.

I recommend going for a relaxing trip. The staff was friendly and helpful and we always got friendly service. I would go back.

Room tip: Personally, I say don't waste your money on one of the rooms with a private pool. They get very little sun during the day.
Date of stay: December 2012
3  Thank BMG1981

Dear BMG1981,

Thank you for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor, we are delighted to know you had pleasent holidays at Catalonia Royal Bavaro!

We appreciate your comments of our room accommodations, we are sorry for the inconvenience with the water; we will make sure our maintenance department sees this matter.

Thank you for your recommendations of our restaurant services, we are glad that our staff provided always an efficient and friendly service.

We look forward to your next visit!

Best regards.