Hello fellow Trip Advisers...
We were three Canadian Couples who were at the Catalonia Royal Bavaro the last week of January 2013.
The resort is the adults only portion of the Catalonia, and its only about a 15 minute ride from the airport if you arrange your own driver, that's a big plus. The entrance is quaint but nicely done, not opulent by any means. The front desk staff are awesome. Rooms are dated, but you can see how they have been maintaining them with new grout etc. One of our rooms had no air conditioning for the entire stay, even with numerous complaints and an attempt at fixing it. There was no other attempt by the staff to make it right, no mention of any refund or extra amenity.Also, building 36 was fumigated for roaches while we were there, none of our party were in that building, but other travelers told us.
This side of the resort is much better liquor; Canadian Club, Jim Beam, 3 Irish Whiskies, Baileys (you have to ask for it), good vodkas, and occasionally Clamato !, which is usually impossible to find for Canadians who like a Caesar. I ventured to the other side, ordered a whiskey and got something that to this day I cannot identify, except to say it was not fit for human consumption, but I'm sure it could clean a pool.
The Sea Blue for Lunch is awesome. Open air, next to the infinity pool and the beach, you will have something new and good every day, and the wait staff was excellent. Don't waste your time anywhere else for lunch
We also really enjoyed the Japanese and the Tapas, really good food and wait staff were fun and attentive. The Thalassa for breakfast was good, but didn't measure up for dinner.We went to the Italian one night and everyone who had the Ravioli had a stomach flu the next day, the rest of the party absolutely loved it. The service was very quick so I'm guessing Ravioli was pre made and left out, hence the problems we had.
The Beach is very quiet, and has a nice little beach bar, and servers who were really good, There are just a few of the usual guys trying to sell excursions, but they aren't rude or as annoying as some Ive seen. The beach itself is weedy, this isn't a place that you walk out in sand and blue for a hundred yards, its not very inviting.
The main pool area can sometimes get a little boisterous, but nothing compared to the other side. Its a fairly small pool but well set up with different depths, loungers, bubbler etc. One big plus is there are always available loungers and shade. I kind of wished they had mixed up the music they played, the Dominican version of "Sugar Sugar" by the Archies still haunts me, you will hear it at least twice a day.
The big plus to this place is that its not packed, there are no lines, and the staff are excellent.
I hope this review helps someone.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy the authentic Caribbean at an exclusive, adults-only resort. Its small details make big your stay and the personalized service you receive will make you feel as if you were in heaven. Exclusive suites, innovative restaurants, dreamlike swimming pools…relax in this tropical paradise and enjoy the best vacation you’ve ever had. Have an extraordinary experience, and leave the worrying to us; we’ll take care of you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Hotwire, TravelUp, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and Hotel.de so you can book your Catalonia Royal Bavaro reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Royal Bavaro Hotel Punta Cana
- Catalonia Royal Bavaro Punta Cana
- Royal Catalonia Bavaro