“Amazing couples resort! Peace and beauty!”

Catalonia Royal Bavaro
Ranked #43 of 113 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 11, 2013

My girlfriend and I went to this resort in February of 2012, loved the place! Given that it was a bit cold in the evening with the wind rolling from the sea, during the day it was perfect.

The rooms are very clean and modern, they are thoroughly cleaned daily and staff is not intrusive at all. The rooms only come with king beds as it is a couples resort.

This hotel complex is divided into two hotel, and this hotel is 18+ only, therefore it is much quieter, less kids and distractions, which provides a very romantic setting, however if you prefer more action, you can always head over to the other part of the hotel complex. Restaurants are great, there are three just for this part of the hotel, the tapas place serving very well presented and delicious food. The outdoor restaurant serves grilled lobsters for dinner! The staff is very friendly and doesn't skimp on the alcohol either.

The pool area is very clean and relatively easy to get good seating, given that you don't sleep until lunch and if not, there is always more then enough room by the beach. The beach is cleaned of seaweed every morning so it is very esthetic, and is one of the nicest beaches on the coast.

Cons;

-Nothing at all to do at night, except if you go to the other hotel on the complex, which is riddled with kids and corky entertainment programs, which kinda defies the point.

-Hotel is far from the city

-Excursions offered at the hotel are overprices and a hit and miss, check trip advisor before booking one :)

-Internet connection very pool

Conclusion;

Highly recommend this hotel for couples getaways, not with friends or family, and leave the work at home!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Perfectneg
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2013

Dear Perfectneg,

Greetings from Catalonia Royal Bavaro .

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay in Catalonia Royal Bavaro. We hope that you had a pleasant return journey.

We are delighted to read your great review post your stay in Catalonia Royal Bavaro. It gives us great pleasure to know that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. We are also happy as your culinary experience was up to your expectations as well as the service provided by our team.

We have communicated your feedback to the entire team at the hotel and they are all very happy to know that their efforts are so well appreciated. We are certain that this will serve as a source of inspiration for us to achieve higher standards of excellence in the future.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back in Catalonia Royal Bavaro.

Yours Sincerely,

Josep Castellnou

Write a ReviewReviews (6,121)

Reviewed January 10, 2013

I was in Royal Bavaro during two weeks in December. The hotel is magnificent. I was in a room deluxe in the last floor with a magnificent view on ponds, or fountains work in the evening. The atmosphere which reigns in this hotel is very "zen". The maintenance of gardens is perfect.
The service of room is absolutely completed, the staff is very professional and very courteous.
The meals are excellent, with a very big buffet in the morning for the breakfast and the meals for lunch and dinner with menu.
The service to the restaurant is completed. The staff is really listening the customers, really very professional, and always with the smile.
This hotel is a part of a hotel complex or you can take advantage of all the infrastructures as well as all the restaurants! it is really very well. You can change restaurants every day.
The beach is wonderful. Do not hesitate to walk on the beach on several kilometers you will have access to really paradisiac beaches, still wild!

You can go to this hotel without any problem. It was my ninth journey in Dominican Republic and it was the best hotel.
I shall not understand critics on this hotel, it is impossible. I travel in the world a lot and I can assure you that you will not be disappointed!!! Go there!
One big thank you to the director Mister Castellnou for his professionalisme and its listening to the customer.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
7  Thank PATRICE F
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Dear PATRICE F,

Thank you for sharing your comment of your recent stay at Catalonia Royal Bavaro!

We appreciate your wonderful highlights in regards of our facilities and grounds, it was our staff pleasure to provide the most professional and attentive service.

We are honored to be chosen as your best resort in Punta Cana, we are looking forward to exceed your expectations once again in the future!

Kindest regards

Reviewed January 10, 2013

We have visited this resort 3 times now.
This time we went for both Christmas and New Years!
The resort was as out last visit in March. Divine!
The resort is as clean as ever and all the workers there aim to please!
We were recognized and respected by everyone. It makes it hard to want to go anywhere else!
We love the personal feeling from the smaller resort.
It was a great way to spend the holidays!
Special thanks to Cecillia in the Tapa. She's the best!! And expecting a baby!
We also really enjoyed Johnby at the Sea Blue. He served us both Christmas Eve and New Years Eve at the Biffet! He is a keeper!
Andy at the Piano Bar is the best too!!
We will be back.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lynnbee
Reviewed January 10, 2013

My girlfriend I have been to this resort twice within the last year and are going back again later this year. Needless to say, we LOVE this resort. The food and drinks are decent, the staff is very friendly and the beach is amazing. Roberto the bartender on the beach and Fernando the maintenance worker. We hope to see both of them soon and see pictures of Fernandos new hija!!

The rooms are comfortable, and cool with hammocks on the balconies. Very clean. The vendors on the beach can be a pain but usually left us alone after we said no. The Thursday night beach party was so much fun, at least what I can remember of it ;) Making friends with other guests is a must for the beach party.

We tip reasonably and the staff seems to appreciate it. One or two dollar for most things, five for dinner.

Oh, and we love the dogs. There a a few dogs that are cared for by a souvenir stand and they are very friendly and fun to watch. We named them all and look forward to seeing them too!

I hope are next trip lives up to the first two!!

Room Tip: Check to make AC is good. Also try and get a room facing into the quad.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank flcn8404
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Dear PATRICE F,

Thank you for sharing your comment of your recent stay at Catalonia Royal Bavaro !

Kindest regards

Reviewed January 8, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our 10th anniversary over the New Year's holiday at Catalonia Royal Bavaro and were thoroughly pleased. After a 7-night stay, we were never bored or longing for "home".

The ENTIRE staff was attentive, extremely polite, and the most pleasant to encounter. Whether serving you directly or indirectly, we were always greeted warmly.

The food was absolutely delicious. We actually ate at the Italian restaurant twice. The lasagna and risotto were divine and we personally thanked the chef for such a delightful meal. I have visited several all-inclusives and after day 2, was so disappointed with the menu choices, I was resigned to eating french fries on a daily basis. Not at Catalonia Royal Bavaro. There are several choices and the neighboring resorts provide an even greater opportunity for variety.

We greatly appreciated the Adult-only vibe. If we desired a more lively bunch, we'd simply visit the neighboring resort. But Catalonia provided a serene, adult-only atmosphere that encouraged the ultimate relaxation. ... just what the dr. ordered. :-)

I appreciated the party for New Year's -- it provided us with great 10th anniversary photos/memories.

According to my husband; however, the ONLY thumbs-down was the fact that it was very difficult to get small change for tipping. As a result, he felt he was being "gamed" to leave larger-than-normal tips. We have no problem tipping, but reserve larger tips for exceptional service. (Remedy for next visit... just bring more small bills. So no problem. :-))

We are looking forward to our return visit.

Muchas gracias, Catalonia Royal Bavaro.

--shm

6  Thank msb1231
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Dear msb1231,

First of all thank you for posting your comment on TripAdvisor!

We appreciate you choosing us for your special anniversary and Christmas holidays, we are content to read you had an awesome vacation experience with us. It was our staff pleasure to provide the most attentive service. We look forward to be your choice once again in the future!

Kind regards

Reviewed January 7, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Catalonia Royal Bavaro in early December of 2012. We had a great time. We requested a room near the beach and the beach is where we spent most of our time. The beach is full of palm trees and has plenty of chairs (even though you may have to search for a bit) and the staff is very attentive. One thing I will warn of is the people that go out early and put their towels on the chairs to reserve them. The most frustrating thing is that you'll notice the reserved chairs stay empty most of the day. The snorkeling is a lot of fun. We brought our own snorkeling equipment with us that we bought on Amazon right before we left. The beach's minimal waves, and man-made reef were perfect for snorkeling. We saw all kinds of fish and they would come up close - especially if you'd bring bread out with you. We ventured off the resort on a few different excursions and we are so glad we chose the CRB because the beach is phenomenal compared to the other resorts' beaches. The seaweed was not bad and the staff works really hard to clean it up from sunset to sundown. I have a lot of respect for those guys and they deserve to be thanked daily.

Our room was not what we were expecting, it was better than expected. Since we read so many reviews about the mold smell and some of the other issues I was really worried. My girlfriend is really allergic to mold so I thought we'd surely have to move a few times. There was a bit of a smell in the rooms but it wasn't unbearable. The cleaning staff does a great job of cleaning. One thing we learned and have never seen before is the key-card that goes into the wall switch - don't take it out or it will cut the power to the whole room. All you have to do is put it right back in but it resets all the clocks.

I thought the food was alright. It wasn't bad. My girlfriend doesn't eat meat but she does eat seafood. She was disappointed that there weren't better options for seafood since we were in the Caribbean Her favorite was the California roll from the SeaBlue restaurant by the beach. We found that to be the best option for both of us. Thalassa for breakfast was good. Neither one of us were impressed with the Gran Bahia on the other side of the resort. We both liked the buffet by the beach.

This is a great place for couples and for people looking to relax and reset. The infinity pool and surrounding area are beautiful. The outdoor beds are super relaxing!

The staff are very accommodating and friendly. Be aware of the vendors selling items. It can be very frustrating and difficult to walk away from them. They will put jewelry on you before you know it and you're stuck.

Overall we recommend the CRB and will likely return someday.

Room Tip: Ask for a room by the beach - Building 18
4  Thank joejr78
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I have been to this resort three times now and mostly have had an excellent experience.

The resort itself is very clean and esthetic looking. It is also small enough to make it very personable and interactive with the (mostly) excellent staff with very few exceptions. This hotel should be a nice comfortable 5 star, but, and a big “But” is the food. Wherever I have been or gone to in this world, my only maxim on food has been “Hot Food Hot & Cold Food Cold”. CRB really struggles in this category.

I’m only going to comment on the CRB side.

Breakfast at Thalassa: Is very good and is possibly the best meal of the day. The choices are more than reasonable and should just about suit anyone’s taste buds. No complaints here. Food was always served hot or (to create another category!) “Very Warm” and acceptable.

Lunch at Thalassa: The menu is changed daily and good choices are available. The only lunch I had here this time was excellent.

Lunch at Seablue: The menu here is very good and with some good fortune, if it arrives fully cooked and even hot (Hamburgers, Fries etc) then you have indeed been very fortunate. Staff are exceptionally erratic in their duties at this restaurant and don’t seem to have any particular station or area of tables to focus on, so, sometimes it can be a long wait to get your orders taken! As much as we wanted to, we mostly bypassed this place except for a quick snack or drink.

Dinner at Thalassa: Only one menu here for the whole of 2 weeks if you are staying that long. They are however, giving an option of 2 nightly specials to make a bit more choice available. This restaurant is either your worst nightmare or an excellent experience. The same menu item never arrives cooked the same twice. The food can come up Raw, Cold, Nearly Tepid and even Hot at times. Veggies, Meat, Rice/Potatoes are all served on the same plate in these different temps. The sad thing is that nothing has changed over the last three years my wife & I have been to this resort. Management has paid “Lip-Service” to this complaint and it seems that any control over the chefs is sadly not there. Staffing is very erratic and again they are not assigned any particular area to work within. If they are, then it gets even more confusing!

Dinner at Cata Tapa: Very different and very good. Only went once and it was nice and hot when it should have been.

Whilst we were there in December, we spoke with many guests and the vast majority had the same issues as we did but would never complain and just would not return to this resort. I firmly believe that if more guests did what they did in their own countries, send an unacceptable meal back and complain, this issue would be resolved very quickly. Just because it’s an “all inclusive” does not mean second best.

In a worse case scenario, there are many other restaurants you can visit should the one you’re attending come up short. You are not limited to one meal, one restaurant, go find something elsewhere.

Many guests at this resort have written about "How can anyone complain about the food?" "Are they reviewing the same hotel?" Well, the answer is that the food was not upto their personal standards. It's subjective. Like I stated earlier on, I like my food to be served hot. It seems like a minor thing and it is so easily controllable. The CRB really looks after its staff members so I would not envisage any Chef changes occuring anytime soon unfortunately!

Anyway, to sum this resort up, will I return, yes, in a heartbeat. Staff are fantastic, Management are great (except for control over the Chefs!) Beautiful layout and maturing well over time, nice large rooms, lots of loungers on the beach, no waves on shoreline and little difference in tide heights. Quiet, peaceful and a great relaxing time. (Plus no kids!)

If you’re into “Partying” this is NOT the place for you.

11  Thank gpreen
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Dear gpreen,

Thank you for taking your time to post your comment and for choosing us once again for your holidays. We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the discontent presented; we take good note of your suggestions to make sure to improve in this issue.

We are delighted to read have considered us for your next holidays, we look forward to exceed your expectations.

Receive warm regards from all the staff.