“absolutely loved it!!!!”

Catalonia Royal Bavaro
Ranked #46 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Catalonia Royal Bavaro from Dec 6 - 13th. We simply did not want to leave. Everything about it was wonderful. I really do not know how people can say that the service, food or the lack of English was a problem. We have never encountered more friendly or helpful staff, the food was amazing and we never had a communication problem. Our room was cleaned to a very high standard every day, we were always well stocked, there was no odor of any type about the room and the bed was very comfortable. We were on the main floor and faced the back of the building which we preferred as it was more private looking over the gardens and we enjoyed sitting out in the morning and having our coffee.

The beach was beautiful and that is where we spent our time. It was well shaded, which we like, although you had no problem finding sun.

What I really loved about this resort was its size - just perfect. It was big enough that you had variety, but small enough that you soon knew and recognized most of the staff and they knew you.

We would definitely go back here. We were looking for a quiet relaxing holiday and that is exactly what we got.

C Schofield
Milton ON

7  Thank Christine S
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Dear Christine S,

Thank you for sharing your comment on Trip Advisor!

We are content to read you had a wonderful holiday and found in our resort the accommodations and services you were looking for! It was our pleasure to create unforgettable memories; we look forward to a second visit!

Kind regards

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Sadly, I need to say this will be the last time we go to this resort. We paid $6,000.00 for a week at this resort.

We have been 3 times in the last two years, and referred 5 couples that have travelled to this resort. While we had a wonderful vacation from Dec 26 - Jan 2, the resort itself was a huge disappointment this time. The resort is TIRED! it has slipped from a 5 star to a 2 and a half. I have attached pictures to demonstrate what I mean, we have stayed in the same room 4025 for two of our three trips, and for the other, the room next door. There has definitely been a decline in maintenance of the resort, the rooms and everything in them. On previous trips, our maid service was awesome, this time.....bare minimum regardless of whether a tip was left or not.

We have always taken US cash with us to this resort for tips and incidental spending. This time, you could not pay with cash for anything and NO ONE had change. (excuse - the bank was closed on Christmas Day and New Years Day? - hello, it happens every year hmmmm usually about the same date???)

They don't seem to get that guests need smaller bills to tip THEIR STAFF! If they think that we are going to start throwing 20's and 50's around as tips - dream on

Overall with the exception of the wonderful restaurant staff, Reuben, Cecilia etc. No one seems to give a damn at this resort anymore. - Guess what someone else at a real 5 star will!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank AllieKatOshawa
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Dear AllieKatOshawa,

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor, and for choosing again us for your last holidays.

Please receive our sincere apologies for the inconvenience presented during your stay; we take good note of your valuable feedback in regards of the service to make sure we correct these incidents.

We are glad overall you received a kind service from Ruben, Cecilia and other; they will be congratulated on your behalf.

We hope to change your mind and have the opportunity to prove ourselves with the excellent service we know.

Best regards.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

I have been twice in 2012, January and december. Was simply a dreamfuly vacation.
Resort is like a paradise and people of the hotel seem a family.
Jorge Salas is in my opinion the best waiter, but also Franklin and my friend Carlos Mercedes at reception.
All things are perfect. Rooms clean and food very nyce, expecially grilled langosta served close to the beach.

I hope to come back there soon to live another dream.

Bye bye my friend in Catalonia Royal Bavaro !!

Carmelo from Italy

Room Tip: I suggest to upgrade your room in Deluxe Suite no more expensive respect Standard
4  Thank Carmelo G
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2013

Dear Carmelo G,

Thank you for choosing us once again for your holidays! And for sharing your kind comment on TripAdvisor. we will make sure to congratulate Jorge Salas, Franklin, Carlos Mercedes for the excellent service. we will be waiting for your next stay!

Receive warm regards from all the staff.

Ysabel Sosa
Management Assistant

Reviewed January 2, 2013

First of all the hotel is very pretty I cannot fault the pools or the beach Unfortunately although our maid was wonderful the room was very musty, the bedding was damp, our clothes were damp and also had a musty odour and I have had to wash everything on our return. The remote for the tv didnt work and the tv itself didnt work for 3 days we advised reception but nothing gets done.

The food and drink are both restricted with waiter service for drinks in all the restaurants in the Royal therefore the wine was very slow being served I would have preferred to help myself as is usual in 4 and 5 star all inclusives.

The restaurants close at 10pm so the only bar left serving is the piano bar which closes at 12am with only 30 seats outside We couldnt even get a warm drink after 12am as there are no self service drink dispensers at the Royal. The disco is open on the dark side but this was smoke filled full of teens and poor quality drinks so give that a miss.Also I paid extra to go to the Royal so dont expect to have to go to the other hotel for drinks or buffet food which by the way was awful.

The breakfat was good as this was buffet the lunch was nice at the infinity pool bar but very small portions. I had the lobster on one occassion it was black and very dry served with chips no veg or salad as they has run out of potatoes I also had a raw lobster my partner never ate a full meal as he is a meat eater and the meat was either overcooked and stringy or raw and full of blood.As all meals are waiter service there is no option to choose anything else, We ate in the tapas and we both nearly gagged on a liquid potatoe spanish omelette yuck.

In the 14days I was there I never saw a manager check the food in the restaurants in fact there were no Managers visible the whole time we were there.

To cap it all my partner was refused a Jim Bean and coke at the pool bar because he wasnt tipping .We travelled from England and this hotel was one of the more expensive ones We are both very disappointed.

7  Thank Sandra S
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Dear Sandra S,

Thank you for taking your time to post your comment, and for choosing us for your holidays. We appreciate your valuable feedback; receive our apologies for the inconvenience presented.

We hope to have the chance to prove we can exceed your expectations.

Best regards.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Miguel Condorito of the entertainment team is amazing, and they really work very hard at providing a lot of resort games and activities. The food is good, there really is something for everyone. The beach was very pretty, no waves, they had people cleaning up the seaweed.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank Jdabz

Dear Jdabz,

Thank you for your comment on Trip Advisor!

We are delighted to read you received such a wonderful service and enjoyed our facilities to the fullest! We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind regards!

Reviewed January 2, 2013

If you want total peace and relaxation then this is the place for you, We stayed from the 17th dec for two weeks. The de luxe suites are certainly worth the extra being near the beach and very modern..
Thelasso restaurant is great for breakfast and al a carte evening meals. Tapas is lovely near the lake for evening meals and sea Blue is nice for lunch only being virtually on the beach. Be warned that they do insist on closed shoes and long pants for men in the evening at all eateries.
The staff are absolutely outstanding. I have never before experienced such sincerity and desire to please from the concierge to bar staff, all just want you to enjoy your holiday. I have never been asked so many times if everything was ok and could they do anything to improve my stay. I had to keep pinching myself. I cannot select one member of staff as they were all fantastic.
Standards at the sister hotel are not quite to the same standard but the evening shows were great and the only poor food was at The Rodeo Steak House. The Japanese was fantastic.
The beach is great, clean and sugar white sand with an abundance of sun beds and shade. They do suffer from a lot of sea grass but they work very hard to keep it from guests. Take some bread out and snorkel about 100 metres from the beach. Within seconds dozens of beautiful fish will be eating from your hands.
The bars on the Royal side are high standard with branded spirits and lovely cocktails. Just try not to be too complicated with requests and remember that a dollar tip is much appreciated.
We never had to wait more than a couple of minutes to be served with a wonderful smile and normally a high five.
Thak you all at Catalonia Royal Bavaro for providing a holiday that myself and my partner will remember for a very long time.
Mark and Heather

Room Tip: deluxe junior suite overlooking the pool unbeatable.
5  Thank marko05

Dear marko05,

Thank you for posting your kind comment on Trip Advisor!

It’s a pleasure to read you found in our services the peace and relaxation you were looking for your holidays, thank you for choosing us! We will make sure our staff receives your excellent congratulations; we hope to be your choice once again in the future.

Receive warm regards from all the staff!

General Manager.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this beautiful resort from Dec 20th -27th and had just an amazing time . It was our 1st time away at this time of year and we couldn't have made a better pick than this resort . We chose it because it was very small and all adult but we could always use the amenities of the very large Catalonia Bavaro next door if we chose to . From our check-in to departure everything went so well . Our suite in building 46 was really well appointed and comfortable and overlooked the pool . The grounds are very attractive and the beach area is just gorgeous with lots of natural shade and plenty of palapas . The food was universally very good . We always had breakfast at Thalassa and also most dinners too . The Christmas Eve gala at Cata Tapa was just great and Andres helped make it such a memorable evening . We also had the pleasure of being served by him when we had lunch at Sea Blue every day . All of the waiters at that restaurant were outstanding but I have to give special mention to our grande amigo Franklin . The restaurant has a very extensive menu of soup, sandwiches and "bar type " entrees . It is in such a lovely location by the infinity pool and adjacent to the beach . While not publicized , it is also open for dinner and we had a delicious steak and lobster dinner one evening . The resort offers a number of bars that are open for varying hours . We loved spending our mid to late afternoon at the pool near our room with the ever happy Carlos presiding . Following dinner each evening we sat on the terrace outside the piano bar where you would find the ever smiling Andis ( he seemed to be everywhere at times ) . The whole staff at this resort are just superb and when I read the negative crap , it makes me wonder if there is something wrong with me , or I was at a different place . Our transfers to and from the airport with Blue Travel worked out just fine . We have stayed at both Dreams in Punta Cana but the intimacy of this resort places it as our "numero uno " . We also met so many lovely people from the UK , US and Germany .

Room Tip: We liked building 46 because it was close to the main building ( it does rain !) and walking to the...
9  Thank Chris A
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

Dear christopher_edgar,

Thank you for posting on Trip Advisor, and for choosing us for your Christmas holidays!

We are honored to receive your excellent appreciation of our services; we are delighted to know we achieved our goal to exceed your expectations.

Thank you for preferring us your “número uno” we will congratulate Andres, Franklin, Carlos and Andis for the remarkable service on your behalf!

Kind regards.