“Dream In Republica Dominicana”

Catalonia Royal Bavaro
Ranked #48 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I have been twice in 2012, January and december. Was simply a dreamfuly vacation.
Resort is like a paradise and people of the hotel seem a family.
Jorge Salas is in my opinion the best waiter, but also Franklin and my friend Carlos Mercedes at reception.
All things are perfect. Rooms clean and food very nyce, expecially grilled langosta served close to the beach.

I hope to come back there soon to live another dream.

Bye bye my friend in Catalonia Royal Bavaro !!

Carmelo from Italy

Room Tip: I suggest to upgrade your room in Deluxe Suite no more expensive respect Standard
4  Thank Carmelo G
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2013

Dear Carmelo G,

Thank you for choosing us once again for your holidays! And for sharing your kind comment on TripAdvisor. we will make sure to congratulate Jorge Salas, Franklin, Carlos Mercedes for the excellent service. we will be waiting for your next stay!

Receive warm regards from all the staff.

Ysabel Sosa
Management Assistant

There are newer reviews for Catalonia Royal Bavaro

Reviewed January 2, 2013

First of all the hotel is very pretty I cannot fault the pools or the beach Unfortunately although our maid was wonderful the room was very musty, the bedding was damp, our clothes were damp and also had a musty odour and I have had to wash everything on our return. The remote for the tv didnt work and the tv itself didnt work for 3 days we advised reception but nothing gets done.

The food and drink are both restricted with waiter service for drinks in all the restaurants in the Royal therefore the wine was very slow being served I would have preferred to help myself as is usual in 4 and 5 star all inclusives.

The restaurants close at 10pm so the only bar left serving is the piano bar which closes at 12am with only 30 seats outside We couldnt even get a warm drink after 12am as there are no self service drink dispensers at the Royal. The disco is open on the dark side but this was smoke filled full of teens and poor quality drinks so give that a miss.Also I paid extra to go to the Royal so dont expect to have to go to the other hotel for drinks or buffet food which by the way was awful.

The breakfat was good as this was buffet the lunch was nice at the infinity pool bar but very small portions. I had the lobster on one occassion it was black and very dry served with chips no veg or salad as they has run out of potatoes I also had a raw lobster my partner never ate a full meal as he is a meat eater and the meat was either overcooked and stringy or raw and full of blood.As all meals are waiter service there is no option to choose anything else, We ate in the tapas and we both nearly gagged on a liquid potatoe spanish omelette yuck.

In the 14days I was there I never saw a manager check the food in the restaurants in fact there were no Managers visible the whole time we were there.

To cap it all my partner was refused a Jim Bean and coke at the pool bar because he wasnt tipping .We travelled from England and this hotel was one of the more expensive ones We are both very disappointed.

7  Thank Sandra S
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Dear Sandra S,

Thank you for taking your time to post your comment, and for choosing us for your holidays. We appreciate your valuable feedback; receive our apologies for the inconvenience presented.

We hope to have the chance to prove we can exceed your expectations.

Best regards.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Miguel Condorito of the entertainment team is amazing, and they really work very hard at providing a lot of resort games and activities. The food is good, there really is something for everyone. The beach was very pretty, no waves, they had people cleaning up the seaweed.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank Jdabz

Dear Jdabz,

Thank you for your comment on Trip Advisor!

We are delighted to read you received such a wonderful service and enjoyed our facilities to the fullest! We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind regards!

Reviewed January 2, 2013

If you want total peace and relaxation then this is the place for you, We stayed from the 17th dec for two weeks. The de luxe suites are certainly worth the extra being near the beach and very modern..
Thelasso restaurant is great for breakfast and al a carte evening meals. Tapas is lovely near the lake for evening meals and sea Blue is nice for lunch only being virtually on the beach. Be warned that they do insist on closed shoes and long pants for men in the evening at all eateries.
The staff are absolutely outstanding. I have never before experienced such sincerity and desire to please from the concierge to bar staff, all just want you to enjoy your holiday. I have never been asked so many times if everything was ok and could they do anything to improve my stay. I had to keep pinching myself. I cannot select one member of staff as they were all fantastic.
Standards at the sister hotel are not quite to the same standard but the evening shows were great and the only poor food was at The Rodeo Steak House. The Japanese was fantastic.
The beach is great, clean and sugar white sand with an abundance of sun beds and shade. They do suffer from a lot of sea grass but they work very hard to keep it from guests. Take some bread out and snorkel about 100 metres from the beach. Within seconds dozens of beautiful fish will be eating from your hands.
The bars on the Royal side are high standard with branded spirits and lovely cocktails. Just try not to be too complicated with requests and remember that a dollar tip is much appreciated.
We never had to wait more than a couple of minutes to be served with a wonderful smile and normally a high five.
Thak you all at Catalonia Royal Bavaro for providing a holiday that myself and my partner will remember for a very long time.
Mark and Heather

Room Tip: deluxe junior suite overlooking the pool unbeatable.
5  Thank marko05

Dear marko05,

Thank you for posting your kind comment on Trip Advisor!

It’s a pleasure to read you found in our services the peace and relaxation you were looking for your holidays, thank you for choosing us! We will make sure our staff receives your excellent congratulations; we hope to be your choice once again in the future.

Receive warm regards from all the staff!

General Manager.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this beautiful resort from Dec 20th -27th and had just an amazing time . It was our 1st time away at this time of year and we couldn't have made a better pick than this resort . We chose it because it was very small and all adult but we could always use the amenities of the very large Catalonia Bavaro next door if we chose to . From our check-in to departure everything went so well . Our suite in building 46 was really well appointed and comfortable and overlooked the pool . The grounds are very attractive and the beach area is just gorgeous with lots of natural shade and plenty of palapas . The food was universally very good . We always had breakfast at Thalassa and also most dinners too . The Christmas Eve gala at Cata Tapa was just great and Andres helped make it such a memorable evening . We also had the pleasure of being served by him when we had lunch at Sea Blue every day . All of the waiters at that restaurant were outstanding but I have to give special mention to our grande amigo Franklin . The restaurant has a very extensive menu of soup, sandwiches and "bar type " entrees . It is in such a lovely location by the infinity pool and adjacent to the beach . While not publicized , it is also open for dinner and we had a delicious steak and lobster dinner one evening . The resort offers a number of bars that are open for varying hours . We loved spending our mid to late afternoon at the pool near our room with the ever happy Carlos presiding . Following dinner each evening we sat on the terrace outside the piano bar where you would find the ever smiling Andis ( he seemed to be everywhere at times ) . The whole staff at this resort are just superb and when I read the negative crap , it makes me wonder if there is something wrong with me , or I was at a different place . Our transfers to and from the airport with Blue Travel worked out just fine . We have stayed at both Dreams in Punta Cana but the intimacy of this resort places it as our "numero uno " . We also met so many lovely people from the UK , US and Germany .

Room Tip: We liked building 46 because it was close to the main building ( it does rain !) and walking to the...
9  Thank Chris A
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

Dear christopher_edgar,

Thank you for posting on Trip Advisor, and for choosing us for your Christmas holidays!

We are honored to receive your excellent appreciation of our services; we are delighted to know we achieved our goal to exceed your expectations.

Thank you for preferring us your “número uno” we will congratulate Andres, Franklin, Carlos and Andis for the remarkable service on your behalf!

Kind regards.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

I just want to let you know that sometimes you have to read between the line on some of the reviews. A word to the wise if you are Canadian than those are the reviews that you should be reading not the American ones. The Bartender at the pool "Carlos" was one of the best ones. The food was excellent we went to most of the a la cartes and the best thing about it was you did not have to make reservations. My husband did get up every morning and saved lounge chairs for us, but he really didn`t need to as there was lots of chairs. We have no complaints at all with this resort and would go back again!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the building that is right across from the Spa and very close to the pool. Building 42
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Tracey K
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We’ve have traveled to a few other AIs in the Caribbean and this one was ok. We had a nice time but didn’t feel like we necessarily had a memorable experience.

The food is the main thing holding this resort back. Dinners were pretty good (on the Royal side) but the breakfast and lunch buffets only so-so and we didn't really look forward to meals.

The Gran Caribe buffet at the sister property has more options and Royal guests can sit in a quieter, separate area - I recommend visiting this buffet for breakfast and lunch.

We did not try the other restaurants next door…except the crepe place: definitely stop for crepes and the fun staff behind the counter.

Beach
Unfortunately, given where it’s situated on the coast, the beachfront is not the most amazing beachfront you may expecting when traveling to the Caribbean. The water is not that clear, brilliant turquoise, and there is a lot of seaweed – yes, oceans contain life, so it’s hard to complain, but it makes for uncomfortable swimming at times if you don't like to be snuck up on by floating vegetation. There is also a roped in area for ocean swimming so it can feel limited. There is a nice long beach for strolling however, and lots of palapas and palm trees for comfortable beach lounging, despite the towel game which is not unique to this resort (but we never had a problem).

Pools
We came for the beach, but the pools seemed nice – a quiet infinity pool near the beach, a rowdier pool with swim up bar closer to the lobby so was something for everyone.

Spa
We had a couples massage at the spa, which we enjoyed. The facility is small but relaxing.

Rooms
Nicely appointed and a good size. The resort seems to be having some air conditioning issues overall though. We don’t need an ice box, but some relief from the heat and humidity, at least enough for comfortable sleeping, is needed on a vacation like this. Bathroom is a good size. I didn’t mind the shower as much as other reviewers – I did wear my flip-flops because I was unsure about the wooden boards, but it wasn’t a big deal. The beds are indeed hard - I thought other reviewers were exaggerating -- but just ask housekeeping for a topper, it makes a big difference.

Staff
Wonderful. Can’t say enough nice things, especially about Yina at the front desk and Sondra in housekeeping – they were always up for a conversation, and for helping us with our Spanish.

Overall
We had a nice time. We wanted a week relaxing on the beach and doing nothing except reading and napping, and that’s what we did. My recommendation of this resort depends on your personal preferences and what's important to you. For us, the food is probably a bigger issue than I thought it would be. The beach didn’t offer the experience that we have had elsewhere or would want again. And for the same amount of money, we felt we could have had a better experience elsewhere. For us, we probably wouldn't come back to this particular property; vacation time and resources are limited and we want to maximize them.

Room Tip: Given some of the air conditioning issues, perhaps a room on a lower floor would be better, though I...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank workeatsleeptravel

Dear workeatsleeptravel,

Thank you for taking your time to share your post on TripAdvisor.

We appreciate your valuable feedback, and apologize for any discontent presented during your stay, we are glad to know you received kind services from our staff, Yina and Sondra will be congratulated on your behalf.

We hope to have the chance of a second visit, with the goal to exceed your expectations.

Best regards.

Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol
#38 of 112 in Punta Cana
Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Green Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection

Been to Catalonia Royal Bavaro? Share your experiences!