“A very relaxing holiday” 4 of 5 stars

Catalonia Royal Bavaro
Ranked #44 of 107 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersGold level
Western Isles, Scotland
“A very relaxing holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My husband and I went to the Royal Bavaro for a holiday between the 19th November and 3rd December and enjoyed a very restful holiday. We specifically chose the resort because we wanted a quiet peaceful child free environment and we were not disappointed. At all times it was quiet and civilised. We stayed in 4252, on the third floor.

As so many reviewers testify, the staff are absolutely wonderful. We can not commend them highly enough. They are cheerful, helpful, polite and obliging at all times. We would like to make special mention of the lovely lady who cleaned our room so conscientiously every day, and the lovely waitress in the Piano Bar who actually came and said goodbye to us. However all waiting staff and maintenance workers were just superb.

The grounds are beautifully maintained and the men on the beach work tirelessly to keep the beach clear of seaweed and tidy up the beach which is lovely, and well equipped with sunbeds. I especially loved the sweet resident dogs! The bathing towels are soft and plentiful and just make for an easy holiday.

The drinks were superb. The wines served in the Thalasso Restaurant were good quality and the staff generously topped up our glasses. The drinks including cocktails in the Piano Bar were good and the waitresses ensured that you were served promptly. We especially enjoyed the smoothie juices from the Ma Loo bar and again the lady there was particularly sweet and obliging.

Sadly perhaps in some respects, the food was our biggest disappointment. However the breakfasts at the Thalassa restaurant were lovely with a wide choice of food. The lunches at the Sea Blue snack bar were delicious. All the ingredients were fresh and wholesome and the choice was wide. We noticed that the menu was different the second week. Sadly we felt that the choice of dishes available at the Thalassa restaurant were somewhat limited if you were staying more than one week. Occasionally we felt that inferior ingredients were used. For instance on one occasion a delicious dish of chicken in a gorgeous sauce was spoilt as chicken wings were used. We did visit the Buffet on the other side. We were very impressed with the choice of food but the atmosphere in the eating area was rather manic, and the excellent staff were very hard pressed to cover the needs of the numbers of diners. We went to the Tapa restaurant on two occasions. On the first occasion the food and service were excellent but on the second visit we found the service surprisingly poor for Royal Bavaro. We were left waiting a long time, we did not feel that we were given very much attention and at no time were we offered any more wine.

We would recommend that people take insect repellent with them as we were bitten by mosquitoes during the first week. Like several people we also both caught stomach bugs and we would recommend that people take medicinal preparations with them.

Overall we would recommend Hotel Catalonia Royal Bavaro to anyone who wishes to have a quiet peaceful holiday. Personally we would have preferred a slightly larger resort where we could have had longer walks or cycle rides but for a relaxing peaceful holiday, this resort is ideal.

3 Thank Island H
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comment on TripAdvisor.

We glad to know you had a restful holiday at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, your kind comments regarding the staff are very important, we will congratulate them on your behalf. Once again thank you for your valuable feedback and recommendations.

We look forward to a next visit.

Josep Castellnou

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (929)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We were at the Catalonia Royal Bavaro from Nov 19 to 26 this year, and we had a wonderful relaxing holiday. After a very stressful year we decided to get away for a week and just relax. This is why we chose the Cat Royal - it was exactly what we were looking for!

We were in villa 42, and after reading some reviews about the musty smell, we took along bounce sheets, fabreze, Damp Rid, and extra pillowcases. We didn't use any of them - our room had no musty smell whatsoever! Everything in the room worked as it should - no problems with air conditioner or anything else. Next time I would probably upgrade to the Deluxe room, as the shower floor looked like it was hard to clean.

The pools were amazing - we especially loved the infinity pool, but we also enjoyed the swim-up bar at the other pool. All the staff were amazing, I don't really like to name them as they all did a wonderful job!

The lobby bar was very nice, but it could use a little bit more entertainment. There is a piano player three days a week, and that's it. Maybe some Dominican music would be nice.

The food was really good most of the time. We loved the Sea Blue for lunch, and the Tapas restaurant was our favourite. We also ate at the Thallasa, which was very good, but we did have one meal there which was terrible. My husband had Beef Wellington which was way overdone, and I had Pork Tenderloin, and one of the two portions of pork was uncooked. Luckily we weren't too hungry that night. We also ate at the Italian restaurant which was lovely. I was disappointed that the Japanese restaurant was closed the last two nights that we were there, so we didn't get a chance to try it. There is certainly a lot af variety, and you won't go hungry!!

The beach was lovely and calm, and the drinks service at the beach was really good. Also the Maloo fruit bar was a delight! The was a lot of sea grass in the water while we were there - but that has nothing to do with the resort. The fellows worked hard to keep the seaweed off the sand.

All in all this was a lovely relaxing holiday, and I would love to return to the Catalonia Royal next time I visit Punta Cana.

3 Thank fivepno1
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment on TripAdvisor. We are delighted to read our services were what you were looking for your holidays.

Your feedback and suggestions are much appreciated; it will be a pleasure to be your choice once again for your next visit to Punta Cana.

Winter Springs, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Inspite of all the problems we had with our 2 Superior Junior Suites, the 4 of us manage to have a great time. Our suites had broken entry locks, non functioning thermostats, on 2 days 1 suite had leaking water from the ceiling due to the air conditioning, both suites had electrical problems - the power would go off everyday, 1 suite had a broken sliding washroom door and the other had no washroom door, 1 suite had a towel rack that was loose - coming off the wall and the other suite had no hanging clothes pole. 1 suite had an electrical plate outlet for the cable TV was loose and not in it's proper place. 1 suite had a clogged drain and the water went all over the floor.
The Fun Jet Representative helped us get most of these issues corrected by the 2nd & 3rd day.
The food had it's ups and downs. There was plenty of food all day long and most of it was ok or good. The last night we were served partially cooked lobster at the Sea Blue Restaurant, we were so disappointed that we just got up and left without eating our dinner.
As for the room service you could not order anything that was not as they specified on the menu, every order had to be by it's specified menu number.
The staff for the most part were very friendly and pleasant, they work very hard and are extremely appreciative of any tips they get, there were a small minority of them that had no people skills and should not be working with the public.
The landscape staff do an excellent job of maintaining the grounds.
The liquor is all well drinks and there is no top shelf liquor at all.
Upon the request of the Fun Jet Represantative for them to do something to compensate us for all our problems, they put a fruit plate with a small bottle of their domestic rum in each suite. Upon checking out, I asked to speak to a manager and I asked for a discount on our massage $216 bill, to which we were given a 10% discount.

Room Tip: There are no ocean view rooms.
4 Thank Jaime A
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to post your comment. We are sorry to read this setback presented and apologize for the inconvenience you may have experience.

We would like to clarify that the rooms in question are newly renovated. In regards of the thermostat and water produced by the A/C this commonly occurs by condensation caused for example balcony door open, receiving hot temperature in the room, as explain by the technician who kindly assisted you. As for room service we count with a menu with extensive variety, in which if not preferred an ingredient these can be removed for your enjoyment of the service.

We of course receiving the reports assisted you giving follow up directly with our Front Desk Manager and maintenance team, promptly assisting you throughout your stay.

It was our pleasure to offer amenities as a kind gesture for the situation, as guest satisfaction is our mail goal we strive to go above and beyond to provide the best service. We hope to win you trust again in the future.

New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

My boyfriend and I booked this trip in October and then I became very skeptical as I read all of the reviews. I packed everything except my kitchen sink prepared to tackle the odor, the food and the boredom I was going to face at this hotel based off past reviews.

We arrived on November 30 around 3pm and check-in went smoothly no issues. We were greeted with welcome drinks and then escorted to our room by Miguel. Yes, I agree there is a smell but I came equipped with air freshener and incenses (it helped us). We arrived at our room 3631- everything was in place neatly and we had a DVD player did not even have to ask for one (not like we needed it anyway we were on VACATION- I can watch movies at home). The bed was decent it served its purpose. The pillows were ok no complaints from us.

Room Location- Our room was in Villa 36 which is a short walk to the infinity pool, Sea Blue, Cata Tapa and the beach. This location is a longer walk to the reception area, Thalassa and swim-up bar. If you want to get to the family side- you can just cross through without having to take the long walk around.

The tour of the hotel- we ventured out to see what was available. First stop, Sea Blue for a drink and food...I had the Dominican chicken (after all it is the DOMINICAN REPUBLIC)- it was good. My boyfriend had a burger and fries he said it was fine.

Food- There was so much to choose from at this hotel when it came to food. We ate at Thalassa for dinner once (croquettes were amazing), we had Japanese steakhouse (we were very impressed with the performance)- the food was good everyone seem to be enjoying their food. We ate at the Italian restaurant- the salmon was very good and filling. WE ate several meals on the family side- Gran Caribe and the restaurant in the back by the beach.

Customer Service- AMAZING....everyone says HOLA....no one passes without speaking. I mean everyone from the cleaning staff to the manager who we saw walking the grounds several times per day.

Drinks- You must try the BANANA MAMA on the royal side (the family side makes the frozen version). The royal side makes the real deal with the banana in the blender! Drink MAMAJUANA if you dare! Drinks were pretty good!

Beach Bar- very nice and all we did was say please add an extra shot of rum to our Pina Colada and from there on- we were known as the EXTRA SHOT couple.

Pool- Both pools on the Royal Side were kept pretty clean. The pool with the swim-up bar was fun. Carlos is the MAN- very charming personality and always remembered your drink of choice. The music was always blasting and Carlos was always singing.

Room Service- the menu is limited however the service was very good. Your food gets delivered by staff on a bicycle to your room and the food is served on a plate with saran wrap (this did not bother us).

Beach- nice and relaxing (yes there is a lot of seaweed but staff does their very best to clean it up constantly). I can not hold this against the hotel unfortunately this is what it is.

Massage- we did a couples massage on the family side (80 minutes)...the best 80 minutes and wonderful staff.

Vendors- there is a specific day when vendors come on the premises (they can be very pushy) but you do not have to buy from them so do not feel obligated however please remember this is how they make a living so they are trying to make a dollar.

Tipping- tipping goes a long way (we tipped because we felt it was our way of showing our gratitude). We are aware it is all inclusive however these folks work really hard so we appreciate it.

Gift Shop- is not very expensive (we felt the prices were very reasonable) and then when we arrived at the airport we realized how reasonable the gift shop is. At the airport, the same souvenirs were $5 more. I paid $10 for a gift and the same exact gift was $15 at the airport.
The mini market is expensive this I will say is true.

I have so many staff to thank for making our trip a wonderful experience. I wish I can remember every staff person's name but I really can not but I will try: Charlot- front desk very nice, Miladie at the beach bar thanks. Kenia at Thalassa- very adorable. Julio the food/beverage manager thanks for speaking to us. The list goes on and on.....I enjoyed my stay at the Catalonia Royal Bavaro.

My suggestions for the hotel would be to have some activities on the adult side: meet and greet, disco night, game night, animation team. My boyfriend and I had no issues venturing to the family side to watch shows and people watch all night (we made the best of it)....the Saturday Night Fever show was awesome.

I would also suggest if you are planning to stay here- take advantage of the excursions. We did two and it was a nice getaway from the hotel.

I can go on and on but if you have any questions feel free to contact me. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Villa 36 was a closer walk to the infinity pool, Sea Blue restaurant, Cata Tapa and the beach.
2 Thank HarlemKM
Kankakee, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We were here one day and just had to leave, we paid more money to be transferred to Barcelo Bavaro Beach which was much nicer.

There is no such thing as an ocean view room here, food was terrible, nothing to do!!!!! Mostly older people laying around a pool or the beach with no music or anything. Completely quiet and boring, no way I could've been there more than a day. Even tried to go next door and that was almost as bad. A day wasted...

Room Tip: No good room here b/c no option for ocean view.
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank lauragronert
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your time invested on posting your comment, we are sorry to read our services were not up to your expectations.

We strive to provide a comfortable and relaxing ambiance for all guests.

We hope to have the opportunity in the future to change your mind.

Norwich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Our experience in Catalonia Royal Bavaro has been excellent.
The hotel facilities are great: two private pools, with different atmospheres (one relaxed, one party-like). The beach is really nice and calmed. Of course you can also use all the facilities at the Catalonia Bavaro.
The food is great. The main restaurant serves an a-la-carte dinner which is amazing, with lobster and other delicatessens on regular basis. The beach restaurant is also good quality, and the tapas restaurant is also worth a couple of dinners.
The drinks are all very good quality. Waiters are going around in the pool and the beach taking orders. Very good cocktails with good brands (bacardi, smirnoff, etc). At the beach there is a bar serving fresh fruit juices. Just choose the fruit and they will grind it immediately for yourself. Absolutely all included. Just amazing!!!
The staff is extremely nice and helpful. Always cheerful and respectful.
We had been to the DR before, but this experience was just fantastic!!

2 Thank Alberto M
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your comment on TripAdvisor!

We are content to receive your wonderful review, and to read you had an excellent holiday at Catalonia Royal! It was our pleasure to welcome you! We look forward to a second visit.

Receive warm regards from all the staff!

Newmarket, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

My wife and I travel a couple times each year and this was our first time to Punta Cana. We chose the Catalonia based on the price and overall reviews. We were very happy with our choice and there were not many negatives at all!

Landed with no issue and the airport is much nicer and more efficient than Puerto Plata. Before we knew it we were at the hotel as the first drop off and checked in immediately. Room was not ready at 2pm but a quick lunch and it was ready to go. We stayed in room 4250 which was actually very nice and very spacious. Only problem was that we needed to get the batteries replaced in the safe right away since it wouldn't work. Room has a nice hot shower, large hot tub beside the 4 poster bed and a flat screen tv. Also a sitting area near the balcony as well as on the balcony...and a hammock too.

The beach and ground were beautiful in every aspect and they were always hard at work making improvements and removing seaweed etc. the staff was excellent and very hard working. The beach is gorgeous here and the swimming was awesome.

The food was hit and miss although we quickly learned the best options and thought overall the food was actually very good. Breakfast at Thalassa Restaurant every morning was good. We ate lunch almost everyday at the Sea Blue Restaurant which is almost right on the beach and the food here was AWESOME. We tried most of the restaurants for dinner which were usually great.
Tapas - not to my taste but the food was of good quality. (Spanish food)
Mariachi - pretty good food but not exactly authentic. (Mexican)
Thalassa - food here was excellent mostly.
Sea Blue - food here for dinner was good, had surf and turf. (Seafood etc)
Italian - food here was actually much better than what I was expecting based on the reviews.
Buffet - ate here once only...lots of choices but we prefer a la carte.
Crepe cafe- awesome crepes....very surprising...sooooo good try the Suzette.
We did not try the Japanese or the steakhouse.

Also lost my wedding ring in the ocean and Josep and the rest of the staff helped me get it back 2 days later by hiring Ronaldo....he was a metal detector originally from Quebec and found it for me! Unreal considering how deep the water was where I lost it....special thanks to all.

Went to Macao Surf Camp and absolutely loved it. Great experience with great people. I hope to see Daniel and his father again someday as they were great people and really fun to hang out with.

I can't think of anything else to say....we had an excellent time and recommend this hotel. Good food, great staff, great beach and grounds, and a very fun time.

Room Tip: If you can afford the suites with their own infinity pools then I suggest booking one because they l...
2 Thank beledat
Dear guest,

Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor.

We appreciate you choosing us for your first visit to Punta Cana. We are delighted to know you spend an enjoyable holidays. Your kind comments will be reminded to the staff! It was our pleasure to go above and beyond to assist you in finding your lost wedding ring.

Thank you for recommending us, we hope to be your choice once again in the future!

Best regards!