Catalonia Royal Bavaro
$395
$201
Savings alert! 21% below average rates

The price you found is 21% lower than this hotel's average rate of $256/night.

Zoetry Agua Punta Cana(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
$516
$385
Bookit.com
Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
$412
$193
  • Breakfast included
Occidental Caribe(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
$248
$470
$393
Bookit.com
Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
$391
$305
Melia.com
Melia Caribe Tropical(Bavaro)
$293
$188
Melia.com
  • Breakfast included
Paradisus Punta Cana Resort(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
$342
$226
  • Breakfast included
Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
$293
$229
  • Breakfast included
Excellence Punta Cana(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
$352
$275
Priceline
6,541 results
All reviewsroyal sideinfinity poolpiano barcata tapathalassa restauranttapas restaurantthe sea blue restauranttao catrodeo steak housejuice barroyal guestsla toscanayucacalifornia rollswim up barsister resortsea grass
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Was at the hotel November 23 to November 30 2012. Very Clean rooms, great food, Pools clean, Pool and decks cleaned every day, all staff very friendly. Front desk very helpfull. Have been in many hotels but this one was one of the best. Would recommend the hotel to any one. Adults only if you want it quite.Can visit the hotel next door and use all they have to offer, food just as good. Just a short walk and if you need a ride ask for a golf cart. Will be going back. Beaches as good as any we have been to visit.

Room Tip: Facing the pool side is great.
3  Thank Brian T
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for posting on TripAdvisor!

We appreciate you kind comments, they let us know we have achieved to exceed your expectations. We look forward to welcome you back for your next holidays.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

I'd like to start off by saying that this resort isn't quite a 4..but it's definitely got potential..I feel like a 3 would be too low and a 4 too high. My boyfriend wanted to give this place a 2/3 but he's more picky than me.

Let's begin by pointing out some positives.
-The staff is excellent. Everyone is so friendly and accommodating. The bartenders and waiters seem like they really love their job and that makes it impossible for you not to enjoy yourself. The warmth received from the staff is one of the reasons I rated this hotel higher..they really were outstanding!

-THe grounds were beautiful! Very well kept!

The Food:

Sea Blue had great food-fresh fish and they had the grill going at night. It was awesome enjoying grilled lobster in an open breeze. Wonderful ambience!

The Italian restaurant on the other side was probably even better than sea blue.

Tapas we were not impressed with. Actually, they tasted horrid. Maybe it's just the type of appetizers we picked but we each chose two different ones and i was actually sick from all of them. The dinner part of the restaurant got a little bit better.

The japanese place had hibachi. It was nothing compared to what we see at home with the various tricks that were performed but other tourists seemed to be impressed. The food there wasn't anything too impressive..just ok.

We stopped by the creperie and they had delicious crepes and a sweet staff!

The last spot we visited was the mexican place. By far the worst, and people were eating it like they enjoyed it which amazed me. The nachos with cheese that we received as an appetizer was soggy cold chips and even colder nacho cheese sauce. I probably would've eaten it if it was at least lukewarm but this tasted like it came straight from the refrigerator. The fajitas I received were a step above the nachos-they were at least warm! My boyfriend got the chicken fajita and he said the chicken was the worst that he's ever had, it was so dry. Maybe we just didn't luck out with the cook that night..Also, i saw them selling lobster dinners for $19..don't do it if you stay at the royal side..go to the sea blue for dinner!

The drinks:
Were yummy..but most bartenders didn't make them strong enough for my liking. There's only so many fruit drinks you can drink too before you get a stomach ache. I eventually switched to beer. Also, an observation I made is there were only a few bartenders that either had or knew what cranberry juice was. I asked for it at three different bars and I got the same juice drink which wasn't cranberry juice. I finally went to the piano bar and they made a perfect cranberry vodka with the right amount of alcohol! And the bartenders there have such great personalities! Not only at the piano bar but also at the pool bar and sea blue!

The room:
At first glance was nice! We were upgraded which was a pleasant surprise. There were minor improvements that were needed. For instance, the tv remote control didn't work. The tv itself also had a mind of its own..we'd go to turn down the volume and it would do the opposite or change the channel completely. At one point someone stopped in to ask us if we needed anything fixed but when you're relaxing and getting ready for dinner something like a broken tv isn't enough to interrupt you. The AC could've been colder..I was comfortable but my boyfriend could never quite cool down enough so that upset him a bit. We also had a small ant infestation by the balcony door inside our room but it was quickly taken care of before the ants got into any of our stuff! The bed was comfortable to me, I like a harder bed though. One change the hotel should make is that the pillow cover wasn't quite big enough for the pillow. That skeeved me out so i always kept my head on the side where the actual pillow wasn't showing.

DEF bring bug spray! I wish i listened to some of the reviews i read and brought some because we were literally bitten alive each night.

The front desk should have change available for their customers so that we can tip.

The beach was nice..too many palm trees..you had to keep moving to stay out of the shade. There was a lot of sea weed but workers kept raking it up. I didn't understand why they couldn't take a huge net and grab it right out of the water..it probably would've been easier for them and more productive. I wasn't impressed with the water but thats out of the hotels control..I guess the hotel is located on the atlantic ocean side so the water isn't as clear as you'd find it on the caribbean side..

We got a massage instead of excursions bc this trip was purely a relaxation vacation...Wonderful massage! Def worth it..

One night we were walking toward the tapas restaurant from our room and the water fountain was on..and it was windy..we were soaked! So a tip to the hotel is that you should monitor that.

2  Thank Magdalena b

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking your time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

You kind comments regarding our staff are much appreciated, we are glad to read you received a friendly and accommodating service. Thank you for sharing your important feedback is our main tool to improve our services.

Thank you for choosing us, we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

We are here right now for our third stay, and it is just as good as the last trips! Grounds, room, and beach are impeccable. New washrooms at the beach bar are beautiful, and much brighter than before. We were given a choice of a third floor room in building 38, but after seeing a first floor room in 36' (3605), we knew we were home! A few of the staff recognized us, and have welcomed us back with those big Dominican smiles! I have posted a "any questions" on the forum page if there is anything you need answered, Gman

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Gman88039
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for posting on Trip advisor! And for choosing us once again for your holidays, it’s a pleasure to know you found our services to your expectations; we wish you continue enjoying for an unforgettable stay!

Best regards

Reviewed December 2, 2012

I would like to start off that this place is good.
The week that I was here nov 20-28 there were quite a bit of mozzies around. So I suggest to bring bug spray. As to the food I think the previous review is over doing it too much. Yes the room service is not the best. The food on the other side remember is comming from a 3star resort. I think this is the real problem here. This really brings the Royal side down a bit. The pizza I found pretty good by the pool (bavaro side) Drinks were good. they had good quality booze.. Kahlua, Stoli,Disaronno,Torres 5, Baileys,Grand Anejo rum, sambuca romana... The week I was there the beach water was not very inviting. Quite a bit of seaweed floating all over the water. Nice to have waiter service by the beach & the Maloo juice bar is Fantastic!!!
The royal side gets boring in the evening. They just have the piano bar with entertainment for a few hours per week. this is a weak spot of the resort. U need to venture out to the other resort for action. A few of the shows are good. but when that ends around 11pm everything dies down. The night club which I was there every single night was poor. Only got busy maybe saturday night, but even then it wasn't that full. The dj plays the same music all week. So when it comes to party even the other side is not the best. I guess I should have checked out ORO nightclub which is 55$ all inclusive.
I must add that people who want to book tours must haggle the prices. I did the dune buggy trip (adventure tours) for 40$ other people on the trip paid 55 & 60 $$ Every trip u can knock of $$ so pls don't settle for the price they first tell you. Also if they don't want to tell them that u know people have gotten the trip for cheaper & if they don't budge you will take your $$ elsewhere.

I never had any problems in my room with everything working fine. Just a few parts of my ceiling looked like it was going to fall down. They cleaning lady did an OK job. Not the best as everyday she seemed to miss long hair from my girlfriend which was clearly visable.

Would I stay here again?? yes but only if the price is right. I paid 1070$ for 8 nights out of toronto. which I think is the Max I would pay for this place.

Room Tip: I stayed in block 19 which is the closest to the beach.
3  Thank tml78

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor.

We appreciate your kind comments and valuable feedback regarding our services and accommodations. We are delighted to know you would decide to give us a second visit; we look forward to your next holidays!

Reviewed December 1, 2012

Just back from a relaxing vacation at the Catalonia Royal, Nov 22 to 29. There are such a wide variety of reviews here about this resort and I just wanted to relay our experience. As a general comment, if any of our friends were going here we would assure them that they would have a great time!!!!

Lots of complaints here about the food...REALLY??? We are a middle aged couple and have travelled quite a bit. While it is not 5 star dining, if you can't find meals here that you enjoy then I have no clue what kind of pampered life you have lived. The only restaurant that we didn't try was the Americana (steak house) but we enjoyed all the others. Tapa's was simply outstanding and the Italian was good. The others were ok but at no time did we not have a good meal.

The rooms are beautiful. I will admit that the beds are NOT comfortable and we asked for a mattress pad to be put on ours. It helped a bit but overall this would be our biggest complaint. We were in room 4212 and the AC did not work the first day. we complained and it was fixed somewhat the next day. It was never frigid but was comfortable at night for sleeping. The maid service was exemplary and we were more than happy to leave a small token of our appreciation daily.

The grounds of this resort are beautiful and the beach is to die for. Yes we got hit with a few mosquito bites but it was not as dire as what I've read here. The sand is clean and soft and the resort staff do a bang up job of clearing seaweed from the beach. The water was super warm and we snorkelled in front of the Catalonia Beach resort and it was a fun few hours. The pools on the adult side were relaxing and the big free form pool on the Beach Resort was lively with people and entertainment. Our single complaint about the amenities is that one hot tub the Royal side was out of order and the other one was cold all week. No big deal in the grand scheme of things. The Royal side could benefit from a daily news letter telling us of the time schedule for events on the Beach Resort side.

From a value perspective this is a great deal. Mid priced resort with great staff and beautiful grounds....how could you not have a good time here?

8  Thank turnbull1

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your valuable post on TripAdvisor, we look forward to receiving your comments. We are glad to read you had a relaxing holiday an enjoyed our services to the fullest.

We appreciate your honest feedback as they help us to correct areas of improvements; we hope to welcome you for your next holidays!