Travelled with Thompson from UK. No problems, all as expected. Bought tourist cards ahead of travelling (ordered online at DR Embassy, arrived the next day). We completed our immigration cards on the plane, no queuing to buy a toursit card at DR airport, went straight through passport control and found rep. First on the bus, no hassle. Yes, there are lot of coaches in the car park but you get given a number, just ask if you can't find it. 20min transfer to hotel. Going home equally good.
Room- no complaints. Booked a Superior Junior Suite (least expensive). Perfectly nice, everything you could want. Shower bases could do with updating. Cleaned well, couple of days no towels and drinks but all you had to do was ask. Air con broken on arrival, was fixed of sorts but we just got on with it, we weren't in the room much anyway.
Beach, pool, drinks, resort, most of the service, Felix the Thompson rep, trip to Saona Island, weather and time with each other- all great.
Arrival- Lobby is nothing special but OK. Checked in, welcome drink, welcome talk, golf buggy to room, got dropped off, someone pointed to the room. Not overly friendly first impressions but OK.
Tipping - we tipped as we would at home when we thought service was good, especially the guys at the Piano bar in the evening who looked after us. We also took pens, pencils and crayons which we gave to staff who said they had children as they told us they were very expensive in DR. Some appreciated the gesture, some didn't.
Entertainment- nothing to write home about, but that said we knew this before we went and were there to relax, enjoy the sunshine, sea, pools and time with each other. We normally just enjoy having a meal and some drinks, chatting to each other and other couples. To be honest, that leads me onto the bad...
The Food. I don't think we are fussy but in my our opinion this was by far the worst aspect of our holiday. Breakfast in Thalassa was good, you could find something to please everyone. However, apart from a couple of good snacks at Sea Blue, my husband and I only ate 4 evening meals out of 11 nights and enjoyed just one of these.We gave up after this and just had breakfast, and a salad late afternoon. Some of those we talked to had no issues with the food and some did, so it may just be personal preference.
However, we were hit by very bad sickness and diarrhoea on day 5 of our trip which lasted for the rest of the trip and beyond. As we had not been off the resort until the next to last day of our trip, we have to attribute this to something in the resort. Maybe we were just unlucky, but others were suffering too. As frequent travellers we know heat, dehydration, travelling and different countries can cause upsets but this was far more than this!!! Obviously this spoilt our holiday to a degree and we would not take a chance on returning.
However, make up your own mind and enjoy your stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy the authentic Caribbean at an exclusive, adults-only resort. Its small details make big your stay and the personalized service you receive will make you feel as if you were in heaven. Exclusive suites, innovative restaurants, dreamlike swimming pools…relax in this tropical paradise and enjoy the best vacation you’ve ever had. Have an extraordinary experience, and leave the worrying to us; we’ll take care of you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia and Jetsetter so you can book your Catalonia Royal Bavaro reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Royal Bavaro Hotel Punta Cana
- Catalonia Royal Bavaro Punta Cana
- Royal Catalonia Bavaro