“Our experience”

GreenLeadersGold level
Rhode Island
“Our experience”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I am writing about OUR experience at CRB the week of November 7-14.

This was our second visit to a Catalonia resort. We stayed at Catalonia Playa Maroma in Mexico. We feel that CRB really fell short in many areas compared to CPM.

Pros:
~Grounds/Landscape
~Pools
~Lounge chairs on the beach and around the pools
~Beach
There is seaweed/seagrass but the staff work really hard all day long to keep it as clean as possible.
~Water pressure/temp in the shower
~Two staff members stand out. Charlier a waiter in Thalassa and Carlos the bar tender at the swim up pool.
~Shade on the beach

Cons:
~Check-In: Manuel was checking us in when another couple walked in. He stopped helping us and asked them if they were checking in. Instead of finishing with us first

~Service: The service was lacking in all of the restaurants.

~Room: We were in villa 42 room number 4242. Horrible mattress, pillowcases are at least 6 inches too small for the pillow, lumpy smelly pillows, holes in the bedsheets, sink leaked and the faucet in the shower was loose. I brought all these issues to the attention of the front desk staff several times. The only thing that was 'fixed' was the mattress issue. I was told they would put a foam topper on the bed. Their idea of a mattress topper is a blanket. We had a dehumidifier in the room to help with the musty smell.

~Housekeeping: The maid exchanged our towels and made the bed daily and thats it. She never cleaned the bathroom or tub.....EVER. I was using clorox wipes to clean the bathroom/tub. The shower area was gross and dirty looking. We had to wear flipflops in the shower. We had a collection of dirty glasses in the room.....all week.

~Restaurants: Thalassa: This is were we ate most of our meals. One night they ran out of soup and salad.
Mexican: Once seated the waiter came over and took our order. After waiting 40 minutes for our drinks and food (which we never got) we walked out.
Italian: I ordered a Pepsi. I asked 4 different people for my drink. The waiter finally brought it over after I was done with my meal. I found this happened in most of the restaurants.

~Dress code was never enforced for men. Shorts and open toed shoes in ala carte restaurants. When I asked about it they told me because of the weather (rain) men can wear anything they want.

Food is very subjective. For the most part we found the food to be bland. Always had to add salt and pepper to everything.

I brought all of these issues to the attention of the front desk several times. I asked to speak to a manager. The girl at the front desk said she is the supervisor and that I had to speak to her.

I would like to thank the concierge (I don't remember her name) for giving us a late check out.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for posting on TripAdvisor.

Your comments and feedbacks are very important for us to receive. Your positive comments are much appreciated; Charlie and Carlos will be congratulated on your behalf. Regarding the setbacks presented with the room and restaurant services we apologize with for the inconvenience, we will make sure this kind of incident doesn’t repeat.

It would be an honor if you decide to give us the opportunity to welcome you back.

Kind regards.
Josep Castellnou

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,031)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stayed at Catalonia Royal Bavaro for the first time in November 2012.

Pros: Great price for all-inclusive food and drinks. Nice and friendly staff. Beautiful grounds. Nice pool. Good spa services. We were always able to find a front row palapa on the beach or lounger at the pool, and we did not have to wake up early to reserve a spot. We took the hobie cat out and snorkeled right off the beach.

Cons: Food was hit or miss. We found the dinners to be great, but the breakfast and lunches were just ok. We paid for a romantic dinner on the beach, and the lobster was horrible. I have never not finished an entree of lobster, but I could not finish the lobster. Later during our stay Thalassa restaurant served lobster and it was good, so we were annoyed that we paid extra money for a lobster dinner that was bad, then received free lobster that was good. So all in all the romantic dinner on the beach was a bust.

The deal breaker for us were the beds. We stayed in Villa 42, and the beds were very uncomfortable. The mattress was very thin and you could feel the springs. We complained to the front desk on Day 2 and they said they would give us a mattress pad. That afternoon we sat on the bed, and it was still hard. You could not feel the springs anymore, but the bed was still uncomfortable. We informed the front desk and they said they would send someone up. Later that night when we slept, we noticed a slight difference, but the bed still sucked. I slept ok for the remainder of the trip, but the bed was still too firm for my husband.

Overall, the resort was nice, but next time we go to Dominican Republic, we may try another resort. On the last day, my husband woke up sick with stomach issues so he must have eaten something bad that disagreed with his system. We don't know what what dish made him sick, but he felt sick for a few days after we got home.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank GaPeach81
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting on TripAdvisor, we appreciate your kind comments about our grounds and friendly staff. Regarding the stomach issues in some occasions the change of diet and water may cause some stomach disorders.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience we would’ve liked to be aware to assist you during your stay.

We hope to have the chance to be your choice once again in the future.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 18, 2012

My boyfriend and I are just getting around to writing our review now. We traveled to the Royal Catalonia Bavaro in May 2012. First off, we would say we had blast!!!! Our first impression of our room was fantastic. We loved the bath in the room. The hammock on the deck was great. The maids did a great job re filling our fridge every day. We got room service one day for breakfast it arrived quickly and every thing was nice and hot. The food in general was great , especially at Thalssa. I didn't enjoy the food at the Italian restaurant as much but my boyfriend polished off his plate .

Drinks were good, we love the bar tender Manny in the piano bar off the lobby, he really made our vacation. My favorite night was our romantic dinner on the beach. The beach was nice but definitely get out there early to get a good spot. We snorkeled one day there wasn't a ton of fish but it was def. worth doing. We brought out some bread with us and it made a difference.

Over all, we had an amazing trip and were hopefully planning another vacation back there this May!!!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank kathryn o
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your vacation experience on TripAdvisor! We are content to know you had a wonderful holiday at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, thank you for choosing us! We look forward to your next visit!

Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed November 17, 2012

The resort at first was amazing we stayed from Nov 9 - Nov 16 and stayed in room 4202. Staying at the Royal Bavaro gives you access to all the ammenities at the Bavaro Golf and Country Club next door. The gardens are gourgous, with lots of exotic birds and lush flowers. I liked the adults only aspect of the Royal but if I wanted a little more entertainment there was always nice excitement next door. The beach is still in the errosion process and not perfect on the Royal side but a 3 minute walk to the other side and the beach is exactly what you could ever ask for, clean sand, no weeds and lots of room to lay about.

The resturants were great as well. We ate numerous times at Tapas, Sea Blue and the Italian restaurant, never once had any issues with the food and the service was perfect. At the pool bar we had met with couple who had stayed at the Bavaro and Royal Bavaro 14 times. I completely understand why. Between Carlos and his catchy personality and Hector who would make hand squeezed lemonade for my wife who wasn't drinking alcohol, our maid for the week who took amazing care of the room, she set up the room with ballons on my wifes birthday and also helpped with the clean up when the patio flooded slightly during a freak rain storm Saturday night. The staff goes out of thier way to make sure you are happy with youre stay from the moment they greet you to the moment you leave.

My wife and I are already making plans to stay next year at the Royal Bavaro for her birthday again next year. It was our first stay at the Royal Bavaro and in Dominican Republic but will not be last. The only regret I have was not booking an Infinity pool suite when I first booked the trip. That will be a must for next year.

8 Thank Dan H
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your comment and giving us a five star score on TripAdvisor! It’s a joy to read you had a fantastic vacation with us; it was our pleasure to create unforgettable memories!

We appreciate your kind comments about our staff they will be encouraged and congratulated on your behalf, as mentioned we will be waiting for your next visit next year!

Warm regards

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I have just returned for the second year and am about to book for next year again,This accomodation is excellent value for money and the staff are all very friendly happy and helpfull.
I can only say that we both enjoyed our relaxing stressless time here so much that it can only be described as amazing.
Food excellnt,weather amazing,Hotel 100%.
I always said I would not return to places year after year but when you find a hotel as amazing as this it is hard not to want to return.
Food wise there is always something for everyone and the restaurant are never to busy so always plenty of food and time to relax and enjoy without being rushed.
As this hotel is adults only you can relax all day without any kids running around and screaming,although if you want to you can go next door to the sister hotel which can be as noisy as you like.
My only critisism would be of the shop which is in the complex as it is very expensive so try to avoid if possible.
The experience from the minute you arrive to the time of departure is absolutely fantastic.
I would strongly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to relax and have a fantastic and relaxing holiday with only food and drink for two weeks.What more could you want,
R & R Glasgow

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Raymond S
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor, and choosing us once again for your holidays! You comment proves us we achieved our goal once again to exceed your expectations; we are content to receive you kind comments and valuable feedback.

Once again thank you, we hope to see you back soon!

Stoney Creek, Ontario
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Just returned on Sun Nov 11th from another 2 weeks at the beautiful Royal Catalonia Bavaro. As usual it was wonderful. Wish we were still there. The staff are amazing. They are super friendly, have unbelieveable memories,and can't do enough to make your stay enjoyable.

Thanks again to Josep, Luis, Angela, Francisco, Julio, George, Carlos, Hector, Manuel, and all the rest of the staff whose names unfortunatley we don,t know.

The food in the Thalassa, and Tapas restaurants was excellant, and the service was also.

We met several couples from previous trips, so obviously many people think this is a wonderful vacation spot. So if you are looking for a quiet, relaxing, great vacation, we highly recommend Royal Catalonia Bavaro,and we hope we are fortunate enough to return next year.

George& Judy Ontarrio, Canada

3 Thank Judy L
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor, and choosing us once again for your holidays! Your comment proves us we achieved our goal once again to exceed your expectations; we are content to receive you kind comments and valuable feedback.

Once again thank you, we hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed November 12, 2012

First, let me start by saying I spent the whole trip wondering what the h*ll some people on here were complaining about...then I realized while at the resort I could spot them a mile away, walking around with miserable smug faces while in paradise. They are probably the same people I waited on in college in restaurants who complained about everything. Anyway, enough with the negative vibes, I will break this review down into sections to be as helpful as possible.

The Rooms/Check In: We stayed in Villa 42. We adored our room, even though we were on the third floor and our view was palm trees, the point is you are never in the room except to sleep, shower, change clothes, etc. The bed, while not my orthopedic I have at home, was acceptable, we just wished for more pillows. I will give you a heads up, after there was a significant amount of rain at night during our visit, I would not suggest staying on a ground floor room. We were fortunate to be on the 3rd floor, but saw some flooding on ground floors. Our room was cleaned several times a day by the maids, and we never went without fresh towels.

Food/Drinks: This is another issue that people had that confused me. We just about loved every meal! The Blue Sea was our lunch spot, we enjoyed the California rolls, fish and chips, caprese salad and my boyfriend loved the burger here. The tapas restaurant sole entree was also excellent, as well as the tapas (the tempura veggies were awesome!). The Thalissa was our breakfast place, and if you can think it, they have it. Remember, you are not in your home country, I do not eat red meat or pork, but my boyfriend said the sausage was good but was like an American style hot dog. I loved my scramble eggs with cheese (the cheese selection is a must try as well, all very good). Dinner here was also great, I come from an Italian background so while I was not doing backflips over the risotto, it was still better than some Italian places stateside I have been to! We did not hear anything good about the Mexican or American restaurants next door, so we did not even bother and the buffet on the other side was not for us. We did go next door to have hibachi and had a great experience. It really depends on your chef and the crowd in your group. Our chef was great, but the only ones cheering and laughing with him were us and the couple next to us. For men, long pants and closed toe shoes are required at all restaurants except for the buffet (a pain, but they will not let you in if your not properly dressed). Bottom line, the food is much better from our experience on the adults only side than the family side (my only issue was the strawberry products tasting like bazooka gum, the ice cream and strawberry drink mix was a bit too sweet for me). This also rings true for the drinks, the martini bar and the main bar on the family side were great, but a trip to the poolside bar on the family side sent us running back to Carlos (best staff member!) at the main pool on the couples side. If you are still miserable with Carlos as your bartender, I consider you helpless.

We did not do any excursions outside of the resort (this was a strictly rest and relaxation trip) but other couples we met did and all found them enjoyable. We enjoyed making new friends from all over the world (if you are American, you will feel like you are in Europe/Canada for the week, but everyone we met and befriended were all wonderful people who we hope to meet again!). I was disappointed with the water at the beach, as the storm brought around a ton of seaweed but again, this is not the resorts fault (also if you are conservative, watch where you look at the beach...after spending 3 years in Europe I was not surprised by the topless sunbathing!).Also, the gift shops are a bit pricey and do not take cash. They have a "flea market" set up, and while it is a hassle, you can talk them down in price if you really love a product The key is to be open, realize that you are not at home and things will not always be as they are at home (however, we did get to watch Sunday football at the Blue Sea!). I would also like to add to be kind to the staff. These are very hard working individuals who all treated us with kindness, respect and bent over backwards to make sure we stayed smiling our entire visit (the service does not end at checkout, we had full glasses of our favorite drinks the entire hour we waited for our ride to the airport). Parting with a few dollars to show your gratitude in the form of a tip wont kill you!

Overall, we are so happy we picked this resort over the Majestic or the Riu (a chain after Mexico I vowed to never stay at again). My boyfriend and I both agreed it would be hard returning to the DR and not coming back to this resort. I beg of you, dont take my word for it (or read too much into the negative reviews) and go see for yourself!

Room Tip: spend the extra money if you can for the private villas...stay off the ground floor if you can!