Let me start by saying, that it wasn't all bad, or all average. First impressions were not very good at all. Pulling up the the lobby, you would think that maybe you had made a wrong turn. Looks like you came to the back door of a resort where they make deliveries. Not so. Once inside the lobby, it was not bad. Could have been any Holiday Inn Front Desk, and a very plain one at that. Then the Bell Boys. We were with my brother and his wife, and it was their first experience with an all inclusive. We both Tipped the Same Bell boy, and we both got the same reaction from him. He looked at our money as if to say. "Is that all?" My brother was imbarassed, and I was upset. The next day when we moved rooms, we got the same Bell Boy, and were given the same reaction. Not all the staff were like that. Many went out of their way to accomodate us. For example the girl filling in for the Manager, handled my complaints very professionally. Several Bar tenders went out of their way to get my brother the wine he was looking for, or some Champagne for my wife.
So rather than bore you with every detail of our 10 day trip, The rooms could be very nice, but most were quite musty, one 3602 was downright moldy. (they moved us after the first day, and our second room had the smell of bleach when we arrived, and was just your normal Dominican Musty after a couple days)
The Resort is basically the only one on that section of Beach if you count the fact that all 3 are owned by HC.
They do a pretty good job of cleaning the Beach each day, so that was not a problem. The Water is clear and warm, with lots of fish to see if you want to snorkel. Not much to see on either side of the resort though, except maybe the Dolphin experience a couple miles walk down a very seaweeded and smelly glass ridden beach.
Lots of choice of restaurants, and most were very good, but not 5 star by any stretch. The Tapa one was the Best in our opinion. The Mexican was good, the Steak House average. The Japanese was good as well, but the Chef thought banging his tools together to make lots of noise was entertainment.
The nine Hole Golf Course was Excellent. $35 for nine $50 to play it twice the same day. Worth it if you are a Golfer. They have Clubs to rent for $15 which is reasonable. We played 9 twice. They were quite dissorganized.
One complaint about the golfing experience. They picked us up in the lobby and drove us on a long ride to the Club house. In reality the club house is only a short walk away. We didn't realize it until we had given the driver a $5 tip.
Our maids were very sweet, and tried to accomdate us, putting extra beer in the fridge when we asked, and proudly wore the jewelery and hair adorments my wife would leave them each day. The only minor complaint would have been the washroom.. Smelled like it hadn't had the walls cleaned in some time. Always smelled like pee.
So to summarize. Nice Hotel, Decent Food, and Some very nice people. Just in our opinion didn't live up to the Billing.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy the authentic Caribbean at an exclusive, adults-only resort. Its small details make big your stay and the personalized service you receive will make you feel as if you were in heaven. Exclusive suites, innovative restaurants, dreamlike swimming pools…relax in this tropical paradise and enjoy the best vacation you’ve ever had. Have an extraordinary experience, and leave the worrying to us; we’ll take care of you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, BookIt.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, TravelUp, Travelocity, Cancelon, HotelsforEveryone, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Catalonia Royal Bavaro reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Royal Bavaro Hotel Punta Cana
- Catalonia Royal Bavaro Punta Cana
- Royal Catalonia Bavaro