“Very Average Hotel that doesn't live up to the billing”

Catalonia Royal Bavaro
Ranked #48 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersGold level
Newcastle, Canada
“Very Average Hotel that doesn't live up to the billing”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Let me start by saying, that it wasn't all bad, or all average. First impressions were not very good at all. Pulling up the the lobby, you would think that maybe you had made a wrong turn. Looks like you came to the back door of a resort where they make deliveries. Not so. Once inside the lobby, it was not bad. Could have been any Holiday Inn Front Desk, and a very plain one at that. Then the Bell Boys. We were with my brother and his wife, and it was their first experience with an all inclusive. We both Tipped the Same Bell boy, and we both got the same reaction from him. He looked at our money as if to say. "Is that all?" My brother was imbarassed, and I was upset. The next day when we moved rooms, we got the same Bell Boy, and were given the same reaction. Not all the staff were like that. Many went out of their way to accomodate us. For example the girl filling in for the Manager, handled my complaints very professionally. Several Bar tenders went out of their way to get my brother the wine he was looking for, or some Champagne for my wife.

So rather than bore you with every detail of our 10 day trip, The rooms could be very nice, but most were quite musty, one 3602 was downright moldy. (they moved us after the first day, and our second room had the smell of bleach when we arrived, and was just your normal Dominican Musty after a couple days)
The Resort is basically the only one on that section of Beach if you count the fact that all 3 are owned by HC.
They do a pretty good job of cleaning the Beach each day, so that was not a problem. The Water is clear and warm, with lots of fish to see if you want to snorkel. Not much to see on either side of the resort though, except maybe the Dolphin experience a couple miles walk down a very seaweeded and smelly glass ridden beach.

Lots of choice of restaurants, and most were very good, but not 5 star by any stretch. The Tapa one was the Best in our opinion. The Mexican was good, the Steak House average. The Japanese was good as well, but the Chef thought banging his tools together to make lots of noise was entertainment.

The nine Hole Golf Course was Excellent. $35 for nine $50 to play it twice the same day. Worth it if you are a Golfer. They have Clubs to rent for $15 which is reasonable. We played 9 twice. They were quite dissorganized.

One complaint about the golfing experience. They picked us up in the lobby and drove us on a long ride to the Club house. In reality the club house is only a short walk away. We didn't realize it until we had given the driver a $5 tip.

Our maids were very sweet, and tried to accomdate us, putting extra beer in the fridge when we asked, and proudly wore the jewelery and hair adorments my wife would leave them each day. The only minor complaint would have been the washroom.. Smelled like it hadn't had the walls cleaned in some time. Always smelled like pee.

So to summarize. Nice Hotel, Decent Food, and Some very nice people. Just in our opinion didn't live up to the Billing.

Room Tip: Avoid 3602 at all costs. It seems the higher floors are less musty, but that is based on just 3 ro...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank TjandJT
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor.

We appreciate your valuable time invested in your comments; receive our sincere apologies for the discontent during your stay. We take good note to give attention and make sure to improve in the areas mentioned. It’s a pleasure to read overall your had a pleasant vacation, it will be an honor to welcome you back and prove the excellent service we can offer.

Best regards.

Josep Castellnou

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,059)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
San Antonio
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My now husband and I picked Catalonia Bavaro and Catalonia Royal Bavaro Resorts because it combined all the elements we wanted in a destination wedding and honeymoon, though we never thought it would be better and more beautiful than we ever imaged! Rosa Rodriguez & Minerva put together an unforgettable ceremony, cocktail hour, dinner and beach party reception that was absolutely amazing and went above and beyond our expectations with great touches that pulled everything together!
From the first step into the lobby we were greeted with friendliness and an awesome upgrade to the Private Presidential Villa! The room boasted 2 stories looking out onto the ocean with our own private entrance and swimming pool! The room missed no details from a kitchenette, huge jacuzzi tub, 2 person walk in shower and did I mention a private pool! Everything was VIP!
The next day hurricane Sandy brought the rain and Rosa suggested we move the wedding back a day to ensure there would be no rain for our ceremony & beach party reception! This was a great decision since it did end up raining the next day. Rosa went to all ends to make sure the wedding went off perfectly and that it did!
Wedding Day! Everything was perfect from the flowers, to the beach set-up ceremony, 4 course meal and never done before beach party reception! Our guests partied the night away in the sand dancing and celebrating! I would highly suggest the beach party reception it was so much fun and really made an amazing experience for everyone!
Not only was the wedding grade A, so was the rest of our time at Catalonia Bavaro! Our guests enjoyed all the food choices and surprisingly there was great food, usual for all-inclusive resorts! Best restaurant hands down was Sea Blue on the Adult Only side! But, the best dinner my husband & I had was the romantic beach dinner Rosa set up for us with our wedding package! We spent 2 hours on the beach went through 2 bottles of Champagne and had a great time our waiter who made the dinner so memorable! The view was spectacular!
The resorts had something for everyone! Our guests loved the disco and the live entertainment at the theater where our one guest was runner-up for Mr. Catalonia! The show will never be forgotten!
Service was amazing! What ever we needed the staff was prompt and helpful! Our maid kept our fridge stocked and room amazing decorated every night with amazing flowers and towel art!
I would say the most missed element of Catalonia Bavaro will be Manny Fernandez the lobby bartender on the adult side: Catalonia Royal Bavaro! He brings an element to the resort that truly exudes the the happiness of the Dominican people! Friendly, knowledgeable and most of all wholesome fun guy who made almost every night of our stay one to remember!
I can't say enough great things about our trip and the wedding! We are so grateful to the wonderful staff who not only planned a beautiful wedding but also made our trip/honeymoon amazing beyond words! Thank you! Especially Rosa, Minerva & Manny!

We can't wait to stay at Catalonia Bavaro again! If anyone has questions about having a wedding at Catalonia feel free to contact me!

Love always! Kari & Rene Esparza

1 Thank KariTay
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, Director General at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for honoring us with your comment on TripAdvisor, and for choosing us as your weeding and honeymoon destination. We are content to read our services exceeded your expectations achieving a one of kind wedding and holiday experience! Please know Rosa, Minerva and Manny will be congratulated with you kind comments.

We look forward to your next holidays with us!

Warmest regards

General Manager.
Sanford, Florida
Reviewed November 5, 2012

First about me: I grew up in a resort area in South Florida and am pretty picky on what a quality resort should look like as I was surrounded by 5 star resorts and even had the pleasure of working in one of them in high school. Thus my comparison standards are high.

First the negative (and there is only one although it is a biggie): The mattress in the Junior Superior Suite is atrocious! The mattress is thin enough that you can feel the individual springs through it. On top of that it is hard. It truly reminded me of the mattress on my bunk bed when I attended summer camp as a boy. Now I can sleep pretty much on anything - and did so here. However my wife is less fortunate in this regard. She did not get a decent nights sleep on any of the 10 days we were here. In fact this one issue is a deal breaker for her on any future return visit to this resort.

Now the positives: The staff everywhere is simply fantastic. From the landscaping crews to the bartenders and wait staff all staff were friendly and polite. I am going to go on my soapbox here for a minute. The average wage for one of these resort workers is about 350 USD per month. This is in a country where there is a 16% sales tax and almost everything is imported. Yes this is an all inclusive resort, but PLEASE tip these decent hardworking people. We brought in a about 200 dollars in singles for this. I had read on prior reviews getting singles at the resort can be difficult.

The grounds are simply perfect. There is constant and continuous work being done to make sure the property is pristine and it shows. The property is simply beautiful in every way.

The food is very good in every restaurant on the Royal side. I have read some complaints from prior reviews. We found that in the same restaurant one item may be excellent while another may be mediocre. We were very satisfied with the food on the Royal side. On the Bavaro side we were less enthused. Neither of us cared for the buffet at all. There are some specialty restaurants we went to:

The Rodeo Steakhouse: I don't recommend this restaurant if you are from the US. I will say our friends from Portugal loved it. The wings were about size of what one would find on a US Cornish hen and the "Texas steak" was a piece of meat about 1/4" thick, 6 inches long and 4 inches wide. While tasty, it reminded me a a large beef jerky in the US only very tender. Hit a steakhouse in the states and pass this one up in the DR.

The Mikado Japanese: We liked this restaurant. The food was fair and we had a nice time. I would recommend a visit here.

La Toscana (Italian) - this was flat out the best specialty restaurant in the resort. The cannelloni was off the charts. This is a do not miss in my opinion.

We did not go to the Mexican restaurant due to too many negative comments from fellow guests during our stay.

The Pools (there are 2) on the Royal side and are both excellent with plenty of lounge chairs/shade available at all times. The Beach is very nice as well. My only complaint on the beach side is the palapas tended to fill up fairly early. However there are so many Palm trees in the area that there is a lot of shade even outside the palapas.

The bars: Some all inclusive resorts will water down drinks. That is absolutely NOT the case here. Be careful - Those Cuba Libres can creep up on you.

In summary the Catalonia Royal Bavaro is a very relaxing and peaceful resort. If management (are you listening?) fixes the mattress issue then this resort moves from the above average category to excellent. This is a nice place to reconnect as a couple and overall we had a very enjoyable time.

5 Thank Steve K
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your recommendations and comments on Trip Advisor. We are content to know your received an excellent service from our staff, they strive to make your holidays unforgettable.

We extend our apologies for the setback presented in the room, we take good note of your comments, and it would have been a pleasure to be aware of this situation during your stay.

We are delighted you spent a relaxing holiday with us; it will be a pleasure if you decide to choose us for your future holidays.

Kind regards.

General
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Let me start with a few things we didn’t know…it costs $10 per person to enter the country. This is not well explained and you sort of get shuffled into a line and up to a person who tells you that it’s $10. Also, get one of the people at baggage to help with your bags when they offer, it will cut down on your time getting out of the airport because they cut the line or don’t have to stand in it at all. Off...take some Off with you. I think they have mutant, extra itchy mosquitoes. We bought some Off at the pharmacy and also some Hydrocoritsone cream because I thought I was going to itch myself to death. I really could have used some Benadryl, but I made due and didn't leave the room without putting Off on first. I would shower and then spray down before getting dressed. Lots of palm trees & vegetation and ponds, so they are everywhere. Wish we had known these few things before we got there, but it didn't make the trip any less enjoyable.

Catalonia is close to the airport and may have been a 20 minute ride or so, which was awesome.

Check in:
We arrived before 3 and our room was not ready, but we received a welcome drink (delicious), our bracelets and were told that we could go have a bite to eat and wait. We went into Thalassa, which is accessed from the lobby. Food was good, it was a little hard to figure out how to order, but we got it worked out. By the time we finished eating, we could get to our room and a golf cart drove us to our room (3815).

Room:
The room was nice. It is on the first floor and well decorated and appointed. There was no door to the toilet or the shower, so be aware of that. It didn’t really bother us too much. My main problem was showering soaked the floor and the floor towel, but that’s really not an issue. I noticed the musky smell that some others had mentioned, but once the air was going and we were in and out, I didn’t notice. It’s humid down there. The bed was nice and I thought it was comfy. Lots of pillows, which I appreciated. The hammock on the patio was nice, but the ends were rather twisted, so it sort of closed up on you as soon as you got in. It sort of made you feel like a burrito, but that did not stop me from falling asleep in it. Our tv remote was not working when we got there, they were quick to remedy the situation. The remote continued not to work from time to time and they were always very quick to help. Turns out, I think we had a defective remote, by the end we had a new one.

We thought about upgrading to the suites with the private pool, but the pools front on the main walkway to the beach, so it's not all that private except that you are the only one who can get into it. Just something to think about.

Food:
The food was good. Service in the restaurants was spotty though. There were times where we thought we were invisible, but we weren’t in a hurry. Our first experience in the Italian restaurant was less than impressive from the service standpoint – we asked 4 different people for a Pepsi and it finally arrived when we finished eating. The food there was good though – lasagna, ravioli & spinach pasta were all very good. The Japanese restaurant was delicious and entertaining. It is not exactly like a hibachi restaurant in the US, but same general concept and the staff was very pleasant and attentive. The steakhouse left something to be desired, but would have been worth a second shot had we had more days. Tapas was good and definitely different, the ribs were crazy good! Sea Blue – the restaurant by the infinity pool – was good. We only ever got the pork tenderloin sandwich, but both times it was good. Ladies, make sure you have some sort of cover up though. The main restaurant on the family side was pretty good. It was better for breakfast than dinner. Being from the Royal side, you can sit in the Privileged section. Watch out for the birds though, they are everywhere! And don’t leave your food unattended because they will come and eat it for you. There is a place by the family pool that has pizza, it is pretty good and the area attached to it is 24 hours. Check the board in the main lobby for the closed restaurant of the day and other information, it is useful.

Drinks:
Free flowing and delicious. Bar service was always awesome – on the beach, at the pool and at the actual bar. The bar by the entertainment stage was our favorite. Lots of people watching and Eddy “Murphy”. If you find him, ask for his special drink, it was so good! He also introduced us to some other people from the US and them to even more people. He is a lot of fun and keeps the drinks coming. Another drink favorite was the Banana Mama and don’t forget the Mama Juana of course. Take advantage of the drink of the day and also the shots of the day, more like shooters actually. They are great.

Grounds:
The grounds are lovely and very well kept and clean. The staff works hard at it and you can tell. Make sure to go all the way out into the water. Out by the rope buoys, there is what appears to be a concrete pipe that is slowly turning into reef and there are tons of fish out there. I even saw a baby stingray. So cool! Don’t wear skinny heels, they will fall into the slats of some of the walkways – wear wedges.

Spa:
We did a special one hour oatmeal wrap and massage and it was very nice and relaxing. Could have used some spa type music in the room, but it was still worth it.

Overall, we had a lovely time at Catalonia Royal Bavaro. The staff was so nice and friendly and it was a great week away.

18 Thank Angeline C
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor, we are content to know you enjoyed your stay at Catalonia Royal Bavaro. It’s very important for us to have knowledge of our guest’s experience.

We would like to thank you for your review and feedback about our facilities, ambience and staff.

We hope you decide to return to Catalonia Royal Bavaro soon.

Receive warm regards from our staff.

Mississauga, Ontario
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We recently returned from a two week vacation at the Catalonia Royal. This is our second trip to this resort, and our third to Punta Cana. There are many reasons why we chose this resort again, some of which are:
- close to the airport
- lovely beach with snorkelling
- no reservations required for dinner, even at sister resort next door
- a la carte dining for all three meals (breakfast and lunch include buffets, in addition to the a la carte menu)
- quiet atmosphere
- wifi throughout the resort, although it can be inconsistent
- loungers on the beach generally available throughout the day
- no aggressive vendors or timeshare sales on the beach

Our two weeks were made especially enjoyable by some exceptional staff members: Yiesy in Public Relations, Breney at the Front Desk, and Roberto and Jesus at the Beach bar.

We enjoyed meals at all the restaurants, and found there was enough variety that we were not bored with the food at all. Room service was good. Our only complaint was that the french fries never seemed to be really hot and crispy at Sea Blue. But try the California Rolls and the cold melon soup at Sea Blue; they are very good. The restaurants at the other side are definitely worth a try. We were pleasantly surprised at the Italian Restaurant as we had heard the food was not so good. Our favourite is Catatapas. The food, atmosphere, and staff there are wonderful.

Of course, there are always things that could be improved upon. For instance, some of the repairs in the rooms could be done a little neater, and some of the pool towels could be retired. I was also disappointed that we did not receive a better room upgrade as we were returning guests and were staying for two weeks. A complimentary upgrade even for part of our stay to a private villa would have been welcomed, especially in recognition of the special occasion we were there to celebrate. I did notice that a few other people writing reviews received complimentary upgrades to these suites. In spite of this, we are looking forward to when we can return to the Catalonia Royal.

Room Tip: Villa 36 is closest to the beach. Try to get a room facing the fountains; the view is lovely.
10 Thank wsibconsultant
Dear Guest,

We are enchanted to receive your comment on TripAdvisor. Thank you for the wonderful review.
Also for visiting us once again, this lets us know we have made your stay excellent.

Thank you for your positive comments about our staff, they will receive your nice words.

We can’t wait for your next visit, to once again make your stay unforgettable.

Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend and I just returned from a 6 night stay at the Catalonia Royal Bavaro resort. Overall, the resort is beautiful and we enjoyed our stay.
Here are a few areas of opportunities for improvement:
-Concierge: there did not seem to be much of a concierge team. For instance, in order to make our last night extra special, we wanted to do a romantic dinner on the beach. When we went to arrange this with the concierge, we waited for 15 min before we were noticed. The associate who helped us explained that they were having problems with the concierge service and they left early for the day. She assured us that she would leave a message for concierge to contact us about the dinner by 9 am the following morning. The next morning, we waited and waited to no avail. Finally I called the concierge desk and was abruptly told that the dinner was not possible and that was it. Needless to say, I was disappointed.
-Fitness centers: I would recommend that a sanitary cleanser be made available for users to clean the machines after they have finished.
-Food: Overall, the food was ok. The best was the hibachi restaurant. In other restaurants, it was not unusual to receive your entree a little cold.
-Accommodations: Rooms were beautiful. My only concern was that the hot water seemed to be turned off during certain times of the day so you would have to take a cold shower. For instance, we woke up at 4 am this morning in order to get to the airport on time. The last thing I expected was a cold shower, which was the case unfortunately:(

Yes you will get bugs or even frogs in your room at times, but I kind of expected that and it's really nothing that can be controlled.

Yes the rooms have a faint mildew smell at first, but it's the Dominican- humid weather is a way of life there.

Now some positives:
-Halfway through our stay, we were pleasantly surprised to learn we were upgraded to a private villa with no additional charge. I must say, the villas are the way to go!
-There were no locals trying to peddle goods to you as you relax on the beach. Loved this! A few years ago, I experienced this in Mexico and it was super annoying. Glad that was not the case here:)
-My boyfriend loved the bottomless Bramas housekeeping would stockpile your fridge with. I think he actually acquired a taste for it!
-Shops were nice. Some items were a little overpriced.
-Staff worked non-stop to keep the grounds looking good.

In summary, beautiful place and I would recommend booking here if you would like a relaxing vacation (make sure to book on the adult side for a quieter experience).
I will most likely not return because I am interested in staying at a resort closer to a city or village. The Catalonia is not surrounded by anything within walking distance so we were unable to experience any of the local flare (that is unless you wanted to pay to go on a group excursion).

Thank you Catalonia for a memorable experience:)

• Stayed October 2012
7 Thank Sponinski
Dear Guest,

Your valuable feedback is very important for us, thank you for taking your time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

We are thankful for your review about our facilities, we are glad to know you were satisfied with the services of our Resort.

Gneral Manager
canada ontario
Reviewed October 23, 2012

OK let me say that my stay was not what i would call a great time but suck-it up an made the best of big money spent so here we go the room we were in didn't have AC and some Big BUGS made a call to the front and talked to AXLES THE Manger and he said he would look after it so he he told me they were having trouble with the building AC so then the maid sprayed and then we were told we could have a other room so we moved and then with all the contemplates i would of thought a follow up would be in order but a VIP person was number on there list ...Now lets get to the good stuff at the Piano bar are some of the greats staff there is in Punt a Cana Hector is so great he save my trip and all the Beach party bar tenders and the hostess at he restaurant on the adult side ..So Good money was spent and giving out to the people that deserved it and that is one Canadians review and will not go to Dominica gain .

Room Tip: DON'T stay in room 3624 AC does not work and Big Bugs and room 3850 has no AC to good luck with...
15 Thank Debbie G
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, Director General at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear Guest,

First of all we are very sorry for the setbacks presented during your stay. Thank you for informing us, we take your opinion as our main instrument to improve our services.

We would be enchanted to have the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection
Alsol Luxury Village
Alsol Luxury Village
#87 of 112 in Punta Cana

Been to Catalonia Royal Bavaro? Share your experiences!