“An Honest Review”

GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“An Honest Review”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

Just got back from 4 days at the resort and felt the need to post a review here after our experience. I want to start by saying we enjoyed our stay, but I feel like the reviews on here are a bit overblown and there are negatives that do need to be pointed out (again we enjoyed our vacation, but the point of reviews is to make people aware of what to expect. So with that, i'll start with the negatives.

The Food: To be blunt, the food wasn't very good. The Paella they made on the beach one day was very good, but the restaurants were subpar. I would say Thallasa was the only place where the food was not disappointing.

The Room: Room was big and the balcony was always great. Just a heads up though, it does smell a bit mildewy. Probably nothing they can do about it, just be prepared.

Beach/pools: The beach and infinity were great, the grounds as a whole at the resort were really really nice, along with the staff.

Overall, we had a great time (especially for the price) but the place does have downsides to be aware of - I would say that if food is a big thing for you, this may not be the spot.

Hope this was helpful.

13 Thank TerpsD5
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time invested in posting your review.

We greatly appreciate your comments and suggestions about our services. Thank you for your support. Your recommendations are what consistently proves us we are accomplishing to exceed our guests expectations.

It was a pleasure to welcome you to Catalonia Royal Bavaro.

Best regards.

Josep Castellnou

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,007)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Orillia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

After much research for a special place to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary we booked the Catalonia Royal Bavaro....and we are so glad that we did! We have traveled to many different resorts throughout the caribbean including to several Sandals and RIU's and this is hands down the best resort that we have been to. If you are looking for total relaxation and a place to reconnect with your partner then I would highly suggest this resort.

The beach is amazing...yes a little seagrass....but what do you expect? We loved spending the morning at the beach and the afternoons at the infinity pool. Food was excellent at all restaurants on the Royal side (my husband is in the food and beverage industry and I am picky and we both loved it!). We also enjoyed the Japanese Restaurant on the Bavaro side....the Steakhouse not so much.

The drinks are yummy and definitely NOT watered down.

The room was excellent...deluxe suite...building 38...great location.

We met so many amazing staff members there are too many to name. And we feel the staff were not just being nice for the tips (like at other resorts) they were very genuine.

As for our Anniversary night they could not have treated us better. There were flowers, champagne and cake in our room as well as a special gift from the concierge. We felt completely spoiled!

I could go on and on...but I will sum it up to say: WE WILL RETURN HERE! (and we have never repeated resorts before) See you next year Catalonia Royal!

14 Thank carriesunshine
Dear guest,

It’s a pleasure to receive your comment on TripAdvisor!

We are honored to earn an excellent score from your review. It’s a joy to read Catalonia Royal Bavaro has exceeded your expectations by our facilities, grounds and friendly service.

Thank you for your appreciations of our restaurants service, we will of course be enchanted to receive your next visit!

Kindest regards

Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

My boyfriend and I were staying at the hotel for a week in early October, everything was just perfect!! first of all the weather was amazing. we took the deluxe room which was great a really big bed and the minibar was include as well. the hotel was exactly like we wanted we just wanted to relax and not to be disturbed by anything, It's definitely the perfect place for that! Highly recommended!!

1 Thank Vered R
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive feedback on trip Advisor, we are pleased to read you had an amazing two week holiday at Catalonia Royal Bavaro.

Thank you for choosing us. We appreciate you recommending our Resort and your excellent comments. We will be delighted to welcome you back.

Kindest Regards.

Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stayed at the Catalonia Royal Bavaro from Oct 6-13. As a reference, we were a group of 10 from Toronto, early 30's.

Rooms- When the rooms were first booked, we were offered a free upgrade to a deluxe room. However when we checked in, we were given the regular rooms as supposedly, there were no deluxe rooms available. This was quite annoying as we were not informed that the room upgrade was subject to availability. We were finally upgraded 3 days later. Once we got into the new room, the safe did not work and there was a crack that went to entire length of the glass bathroom door. It took maintenance 4 hours to replace the safe, which was a real frustration. The next day, we got home from the beach and noticed that the cracked door to the toilet was missing. When we called reception, we were told that once they did not have a replacement for the door and it would take a couple of days to replace. I found it incomprehensible that they would not even inform us when they realized there was no replacement. I immediately demanded a new room which they accomodated. The rooms are nicely featured and a good size.

Food / Drinks - The quality of the food on the Royal side was top notch, at both the Tapas restaurant and Thalassa. It was good to have a lunch alacarte options as most resorts only have buffets for lunch. We tried all of the restaurants on the Bavaro side as well. The Italian restaurant was the best one, the remainder were quite average. A couple of days, we had Paella on the beach and a beach bbq on one night. You should also make use of the fresh fruit juice bar on the beach which unfortunately, I only found on the last day. The sea blue restaurant by the beach is convenient if you need a quick bite for lunch and do not want to male the 10 minute trek to Thalassa from the beach. There is a definite difference between the drinks on the royal and the bavaro side. The quality of drinks on the Royal side were great and definitely not light. I would drink mainly mojitos/caipirinhas and the bartenders always made an effort to make them well.

Pools - There are a couple of pools on the royal side. The infinity pool is great as its right next to the beach and the sea blue restaurant. There are also a number of poolside cabanas which are great for lounging. The other pool has a swim up bar, however it just does not look as well maintained as the infinity pool. One annoyance was the use of towel cards. At an adults only resort, I expect to be able to exchange towels which having to carry around a towel card.

Beach - Beach was average. There was quite a bit of sea weed and a few rocks in the water. On the positive side, there was plenty of seating and beach umbrellas for those who wanted shade.

Entertainment - There's not much entertainment on the Royal side. If entertainment is what you want, you need to walk over to the Bavaro side for the nightly shows or the beach activities.

If it were not for the room fiasco, I would have rated this resort a 4 - 4.5 star.

If you have any questions, don't be hesitant to ask.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
11 Thank sunsandlovin
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, Management Assistant at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking your time to post your valuable feedback on Trip Advisor. Your opinion and comments are very important for our services. Receive our sincere apologies for inconveniences during your stay; regarding the situation with the upgrades we kindly clarify all upgrades are subject to the availability. Once again thank you for your comments. We hope to welcome you back, and have the chance to exceed your expectations.

Kind regards.

Alexandria, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Cat Royal from Oct 3-7th and it was amazing, This was our first trip to the DR and our first time staying at an all inclusive resort. Upon arrival we were greeted with a cool towel and a beverage. Check in was a breeze, we were in room 3811 in a Junior suite and we found it to be plently of room for the two of us. We also found the food to be great. Tons of options including room service so you will not go hungry. I recommend trying the california roll at Sea Blue (I ate it about 3 times) it was delish! I think there was only one appitizer my husband didn't care for but other than that food and service was excellent. Our favorite night was the beach BBQ. Had a great time dancing and singing with other guests and the staff. The staff worked really hard at keeping the beach clean (we visited another resort during an excursion and the beach was no where near as clean as the Cat's) It is a little shady but we never had a problem finding two chairs at the beach or pool. Our favorite pool was the one with a bar, plently of seating around the bar and in the shallow ends of the pool. It was also a bit more lively than the infinity pool. We did walk over to the Bavaro side a couple of times and we were glad we picked to Royal side. Bavaro was very crowded and busy, went into the casino for about 5 mins and weren't too impressed. We prefered to hang around the Royal lobby piano bar for a nap cap. Service was outstanding, the staff did a great job making sure all of our needs were met no matter how trivial. Ex: Both bartenders at sea blue and the lobby bar made sure we were able to watch American Football any time we were hanging out there. The only issue we had was with hot water/water pressure. Not sure if this is a problem in the DR or just at the resort. Most days we had to turn the knob all the way to hot and maybe got a trickle or slow stream of luke warm water. Attempted to fill up the soaking tub a couple of times but it was kind of a lost cause. This didn't really bother us to much, just a minor annoyance and would definately not keep us from returning. We are already planning a return trip and if you are looking for a quiet relaxing vacation I would recommend staying here. My husband and I are in our mid twenties and found it to suit all of our needs for a low key kid free vacay.

10 Thank Rozam714
Dear Guest,
It’s a pleasure to receive your comment on Trip Advisor! We are delighted to read you had an amazing holiday with us, it’s an honor to receive you five star score of our services. We will congratulate our staff on your behalf, who strive to provide an excellent service. We look forward to your next holidays at Catalonia Royal!

Warm regards.

Keswick
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

My husband and I travelled to Dominican Catalonia Royale Bavaro in May 2012, it was our first trip away anywhere. We had the time of our lives, the service was outstanding and the food even better, I am a picky eater but found the food to be wonderful. It is a very private and quiet resort. The rooms were very clean and comfortable as was the whole area around the resort. If you are a golf pro the course is amazing and was never busy. One thing I will say however that the mattress in our room was not very soft, we requested a softer one and that fixed the problem.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Teresa W
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting on Trip Advisor! We would like to thank you for choosing us for your first visit to Punta Cana; it was our pleasure to make your anniversary holidays unforgettable. We were delighted to offer you’re an outstanding service, we hope to be your choice once again in the future, for a pleasant holiday!

Receive warm regards from all the staff.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

My daughter and I just returned from our 3rd visit from Oct 2 - Oct 9 2012 and I must say I think this was the best of them all. The week zipped by so fast and wish we could have stayed a while longer. We stayed in a Deluxe suite in building 36 upon arrival. We upgraded to a swimming pool villa for our last 2 nights. I highly recommend either accommodation depending on your budget. If you can afford the swimming pool suite go for it but don't feel it is necessary if you can't.

There are many subjective aspects of a vacation spot. I can only relay my personal experiences. We thought the food improved from past visits with the exception of Sea Blue which I felt was not as good as before. It wasn't bad, just the quality seemed to be less than before. Cata Tapa was outstanding. You'd be hard pressed to find better in any fine dining establishment in Toronto. Thalassa offers decent fare for almost anyone. We didn't bother with the restaurants on the Bavaro side. The only comment about food I will make is there is something for everyone. If someone claims they lived on french fries all week that tells you something about their regular diet back home. Fast food junkies. The room service menu is limited and unchanged from previous visits. This is one area I would like to see improved.

Bed comfort was much better this time. I normally like my bed a bit on the softer side rather than hard as a rock. I slept very well this trip. Rooms are kept spotless. Never saw any critters inside our room. Guests are told to place room service plates outside their door after eating for a reason. As long as guests do so there won't be any problems inside the rooms.

As usual the staff are wonderful. Sorry, I don't name names. I can't think of a single staff member who didn't give their best to make our stay pleasant. Kudos to every single one of them. If they get special points for recognition then put ALL their names down for me. One thing that blew me away this time was the English language comprehension. Those English classes the hotel sponsors "in house" are working. Yes there are a few, such as some of the maids ,who lack comprehension but we never had a problem making needs known. Front desk, bell hops, room service guys and the vast majority of the wait staff are just fine.

The beach is amazing as always. There has been an unusual amount of seagrass coming into shore right up the PC coast. The hard working fellas on the beach do a fine job of keeping it cleared up. We noticed more palapas have been built since our last visit. Never a problem finding loungers and shade without rising early to go "reserve" a spot. Everyone is well spaced and not on top of one another, unlike some of the larger resorts in PC where you can sometimes feel like a sardine in a can. The sea is always calm even on the windiest of days. Although the water is shallow, swimming is possible during high tide. Guessing water depth about 5 - 6 feet deep. Catalonia Royal has the best snorkelling from shore in the Punta Cana area.

There's a couple of things I need to address from what I read in previous reviews. The first is about tipping. You absolutely do not need to tip to get good service. That's pure hogwash. A friendly demeanour goes much further than a dollar in your hand. We saw some guests very rude and with sour faces for who I doubt any amount of tip would get them better service. We do tip after we receive a service and whether it's a dollar or five it is gratefully accepted equally. I know some Europeans like to tip at the end of vacation but the problem with doing so is the staff rotate days off so the workers who made your stay special may not be there on your departure day. It's best to tip as you go.

My second beef was a recent comment about the hotel shops. Firstly, these shops are not owned by the hotel. They are private businesses who lease space from the hotel. (same with casino, not hotel run) The complaint was about prices. These shops have the least expensive items I have ever seen in a hotel. An example was a fairly decent quality sleeveless Punta Cana man's shirt for $10. This is expensive??? The coffee and rum is a better price than most of the off site vendors. Sun screen is expensive everywhere in DR but these shops don't rob you compared to most.

The biggest improvement from our last visit was the free WiFi. It was excellent most of the week. There were very brief periods where the signal was weak but mostly it was strong enough to chat Facetime on your iPhone or iPad or do a video Skype chat. I even updated my FB page while standing 10 ft from the shore near the beach bar.

To sum up, Cat Royal still offers the best value. It's very all inclusive. The ambience is amazing if you just want to chill. Music played in resort is tasteful. There is no animation team to bother you. If you do want a change and would like to get involved in some activities they are all available immediately next door at Catalonia Bavaro. It is nice to have the option depending on your mood. While the majority of guests are couples there are a number of single adults too. Ages are from early 20's to 80's. This hotel is ideal for honeymooners or any adult looking for a relaxing vacation.

We'll be back. :-)

Room Tip: Any room is good according to your budget.