“Paradise”

GreenLeadersGold level
Alexandria, Louisiana
“Paradise”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Cat Royal from Oct 3-7th and it was amazing, This was our first trip to the DR and our first time staying at an all inclusive resort. Upon arrival we were greeted with a cool towel and a beverage. Check in was a breeze, we were in room 3811 in a Junior suite and we found it to be plently of room for the two of us. We also found the food to be great. Tons of options including room service so you will not go hungry. I recommend trying the california roll at Sea Blue (I ate it about 3 times) it was delish! I think there was only one appitizer my husband didn't care for but other than that food and service was excellent. Our favorite night was the beach BBQ. Had a great time dancing and singing with other guests and the staff. The staff worked really hard at keeping the beach clean (we visited another resort during an excursion and the beach was no where near as clean as the Cat's) It is a little shady but we never had a problem finding two chairs at the beach or pool. Our favorite pool was the one with a bar, plently of seating around the bar and in the shallow ends of the pool. It was also a bit more lively than the infinity pool. We did walk over to the Bavaro side a couple of times and we were glad we picked to Royal side. Bavaro was very crowded and busy, went into the casino for about 5 mins and weren't too impressed. We prefered to hang around the Royal lobby piano bar for a nap cap. Service was outstanding, the staff did a great job making sure all of our needs were met no matter how trivial. Ex: Both bartenders at sea blue and the lobby bar made sure we were able to watch American Football any time we were hanging out there. The only issue we had was with hot water/water pressure. Not sure if this is a problem in the DR or just at the resort. Most days we had to turn the knob all the way to hot and maybe got a trickle or slow stream of luke warm water. Attempted to fill up the soaking tub a couple of times but it was kind of a lost cause. This didn't really bother us to much, just a minor annoyance and would definately not keep us from returning. We are already planning a return trip and if you are looking for a quiet relaxing vacation I would recommend staying here. My husband and I are in our mid twenties and found it to suit all of our needs for a low key kid free vacay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Rozam714
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, Management Assistant at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear Guest,
It’s a pleasure to receive your comment on Trip Advisor! We are delighted to read you had an amazing holiday with us, it’s an honor to receive you five star score of our services. We will congratulate our staff on your behalf, who strive to provide an excellent service. We look forward to your next holidays at Catalonia Royal!

Warm regards.

Management Assistant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,043)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Keswick
Reviewed October 11, 2012

My husband and I travelled to Dominican Catalonia Royale Bavaro in May 2012, it was our first trip away anywhere. We had the time of our lives, the service was outstanding and the food even better, I am a picky eater but found the food to be wonderful. It is a very private and quiet resort. The rooms were very clean and comfortable as was the whole area around the resort. If you are a golf pro the course is amazing and was never busy. One thing I will say however that the mattress in our room was not very soft, we requested a softer one and that fixed the problem.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Teresa W
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting on Trip Advisor! We would like to thank you for choosing us for your first visit to Punta Cana; it was our pleasure to make your anniversary holidays unforgettable. We were delighted to offer you’re an outstanding service, we hope to be your choice once again in the future, for a pleasant holiday!

Receive warm regards from all the staff.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 10, 2012

My daughter and I just returned from our 3rd visit from Oct 2 - Oct 9 2012 and I must say I think this was the best of them all. The week zipped by so fast and wish we could have stayed a while longer. We stayed in a Deluxe suite in building 36 upon arrival. We upgraded to a swimming pool villa for our last 2 nights. I highly recommend either accommodation depending on your budget. If you can afford the swimming pool suite go for it but don't feel it is necessary if you can't.

There are many subjective aspects of a vacation spot. I can only relay my personal experiences. We thought the food improved from past visits with the exception of Sea Blue which I felt was not as good as before. It wasn't bad, just the quality seemed to be less than before. Cata Tapa was outstanding. You'd be hard pressed to find better in any fine dining establishment in Toronto. Thalassa offers decent fare for almost anyone. We didn't bother with the restaurants on the Bavaro side. The only comment about food I will make is there is something for everyone. If someone claims they lived on french fries all week that tells you something about their regular diet back home. Fast food junkies. The room service menu is limited and unchanged from previous visits. This is one area I would like to see improved.

Bed comfort was much better this time. I normally like my bed a bit on the softer side rather than hard as a rock. I slept very well this trip. Rooms are kept spotless. Never saw any critters inside our room. Guests are told to place room service plates outside their door after eating for a reason. As long as guests do so there won't be any problems inside the rooms.

As usual the staff are wonderful. Sorry, I don't name names. I can't think of a single staff member who didn't give their best to make our stay pleasant. Kudos to every single one of them. If they get special points for recognition then put ALL their names down for me. One thing that blew me away this time was the English language comprehension. Those English classes the hotel sponsors "in house" are working. Yes there are a few, such as some of the maids ,who lack comprehension but we never had a problem making needs known. Front desk, bell hops, room service guys and the vast majority of the wait staff are just fine.

The beach is amazing as always. There has been an unusual amount of seagrass coming into shore right up the PC coast. The hard working fellas on the beach do a fine job of keeping it cleared up. We noticed more palapas have been built since our last visit. Never a problem finding loungers and shade without rising early to go "reserve" a spot. Everyone is well spaced and not on top of one another, unlike some of the larger resorts in PC where you can sometimes feel like a sardine in a can. The sea is always calm even on the windiest of days. Although the water is shallow, swimming is possible during high tide. Guessing water depth about 5 - 6 feet deep. Catalonia Royal has the best snorkelling from shore in the Punta Cana area.

There's a couple of things I need to address from what I read in previous reviews. The first is about tipping. You absolutely do not need to tip to get good service. That's pure hogwash. A friendly demeanour goes much further than a dollar in your hand. We saw some guests very rude and with sour faces for who I doubt any amount of tip would get them better service. We do tip after we receive a service and whether it's a dollar or five it is gratefully accepted equally. I know some Europeans like to tip at the end of vacation but the problem with doing so is the staff rotate days off so the workers who made your stay special may not be there on your departure day. It's best to tip as you go.

My second beef was a recent comment about the hotel shops. Firstly, these shops are not owned by the hotel. They are private businesses who lease space from the hotel. (same with casino, not hotel run) The complaint was about prices. These shops have the least expensive items I have ever seen in a hotel. An example was a fairly decent quality sleeveless Punta Cana man's shirt for $10. This is expensive??? The coffee and rum is a better price than most of the off site vendors. Sun screen is expensive everywhere in DR but these shops don't rob you compared to most.

The biggest improvement from our last visit was the free WiFi. It was excellent most of the week. There were very brief periods where the signal was weak but mostly it was strong enough to chat Facetime on your iPhone or iPad or do a video Skype chat. I even updated my FB page while standing 10 ft from the shore near the beach bar.

To sum up, Cat Royal still offers the best value. It's very all inclusive. The ambience is amazing if you just want to chill. Music played in resort is tasteful. There is no animation team to bother you. If you do want a change and would like to get involved in some activities they are all available immediately next door at Catalonia Bavaro. It is nice to have the option depending on your mood. While the majority of guests are couples there are a number of single adults too. Ages are from early 20's to 80's. This hotel is ideal for honeymooners or any adult looking for a relaxing vacation.

We'll be back. :-)

Room Tip: Any room is good according to your budget.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
34 Thank margadagio
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your review on Trip Advisor, and for choosing us once again for your third visit to Catalonia Royal, we are delighted to read we were able to meet your expectations! We appreciate your kind comments and reviews of our different areas, your recommendations are most important. It’s an honor to know we will be expecting another visit; we look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind regards

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Catalonia Royal Bavaro is an fantastic adult only resort.
It is located next to Catalonia Bavaro which is a family
resort. We enjoyed two weeks of pure relaxation in a peaceful
atmosphere. The grounds were truly beautiful and well kept.
Lots of shade with palm trees everywhere.

We stayed in building 38 We had a renovated room with
free wi-fi included. The room was large, bright, facing the pool and villas.
It was serviced twice daily and kept spotless. The air conditioned
kept us refreshed and rested. We had good water pressure. We also had a
beautiful jacuzzi in our room. Everything was perfect.

For your swimming pleasure you will find two pools, one quiet
for relaxing and one with a pool bar which is a bit more lively.
There is plenty of palapas around both pools.
There is also a couple of lovely jacuzzis to be enjoyed.
Towels are available all day long without any restriction.

The beach had plenty of palapas and lots of palm trees, and there was
always a nice breeze to cool you down. The ocean was so inviting
with its warm water. Once you're in, you don't want to leave.

At Maloo beach juice bar we tasted all kind of delicious
and healthy drinks. There was also great cocktails at the beach bar
and beach bar service.

The Catalonia Royal side had a fantastic main restaurant "Thalassa".
They had a good variety of dishes and everything was fresh and delicious.
Cata Tapa was also a great choice for dinner. The Sea Blue Grill
has a good lunch and is located on the beach. You have also the option
of visiting the Catalonia Bavaro Side with their numerous restaurants.
We visited the Italian Toscana and we had a delicious salmon cooked
just perfectly to our liking. But, we really enjoyed our Thalassa and
this is where we had most of our meals. No reservation required anywhere.

The staff we encountered were hard working, accommodating and friendly.
Thanks to the management of this hotel, Josep, Alexis, Louis and their team,
we were treated as royalty during your stay at the Catalonia Royal Bavaro.

This vacation was an ultimate relaxing getaway. We would recommend this
hotel for anyone who is looking for an adult only resort, quiet,
with air conditioned lobby and main restaurant, free wi-fi, no reservations
for the a la Carte restaurants, extremely clean environment, near
the airport in Punta Cana. What else can one want. If you try the Catalonia
Royal Bavaro and it will become a new home for you.

Room Tip: Bldg. 38 is in the middle of the resort.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
17 Thank Leonardito C
Labrador City, Newfoundland and Labrador
Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

Well this is our second night here and everything is going great. Just got back from the Thalassa and the food was excellent. I will write a longer review when we get home. All I got to say is book this resort for your next holiday, you will not be disappointed. This is our fifth trip here and there will be more.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank First_timer909
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, Management Assistant at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your comment on Trip Advisor!
We are content to welcome you for your fifth stay, thank you for your trust in choosing us once again; we appreciate your kind comments and hope you continue enjoying the rest of your stay.
Warmest regards!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We had a wonderful time. Quite impressed with the staff as they were all so very pleasant and worked well as a team. The room was always clean and the food was very good. We thank all the staff for making our stay at the hotel most enjoyable and look forward to seeing you again.
EB - TORONTO

Room Tip: stayed in Villa 38 - quite and close to all amenities
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank Josie B
Dear guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review! It’s a joy to know our staff provided an excellent service making your stay unforgettable, thank you for considering us for your next holidays!
Receive warm regards from all the staff!

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We've been to 4 different all-inclusives in the DR and 12 total when you include Jamaica and the Riviera Maya.

We stayed at the CRB Sept. 22 – 29. We thought the CRB was very nice and we would return. Got upgraded to a suite. Could be because we stayed at the Catalonia Royal Tulum in Mexico. More likely that they are renovating the non-suite buildings.

The food was good to very good on our side and poor (buffet and Steak House) to good (Italian) on the "family" side. Did not eat at the Mexican or Japanese. A lot of the reviews here talked about how the food was not that good, so we brought along a one ounce container of garlic powder. Our group of 4 used it at the Italian restaurant and it helped all our dishes. Used it a little at other times, too. We found that overall the food just needed some salt. They didn’t seem to be using much at all in their preparation.

Seaweed washing ashore was a constant problem and was raked up several times a day. It was worse the first part of the week. Maybe a storm had stirred things up before we arrived?

They have an artificial reef right outside the swimming area made up of concrete tubes laid end-to-end. They weren’t snugged up to each other and there were also holes in the sides so the fish could swim in and out. Best snorkeling we’ve seen without having to take a boat ride. Did see a couple of lionfish. Attractive, but venomous and could soon be the scourge of the Caribbean.

Not a wide array, but there is some top-shelf booze. Stoli, Smirnoff, Jim Beam, Frangelica, Amaretto di Saronna. I think the gin was Gordan’s. I’m not big on rum, but they do have a Ron Barcelo Anejo that was mighty tasty. There is a bar on the beach and they would come around occasionally to take your order, but it was a short walk to the bar so we usually did that.

Two pools, one by the beach with bar service and one up close to the lobby with the swim-up bar. They have a towel shack by the beach and another one up by the pool with the swim-up bar that was open a little later.

Only 20 minutes from airport. One of the closest, if not the closest resort to the airport. Well maintained and beautiful.

Price and ease of air travel will determine when we return. Cancun is much easier for us in St. Louis to get to. We usually can get on a direct charter 3 or 4 days a week.

Pete K. St. Louis, Mo. USA

Room Tip: The building with suites that is closest to the beach was built so that you have to exit the buildin...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
#87 of 111 in Punta Cana
VIK Hotel Cayena Beach
VIK Hotel Cayena Beach
#82 of 111 in Punta Cana

Been to Catalonia Royal Bavaro? Share your experiences!