“Back for the fifth time!”

Catalonia Royal Bavaro
Ranked #45 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Well this is our second night here and everything is going great. Just got back from the Thalassa and the food was excellent. I will write a longer review when we get home. All I got to say is book this resort for your next holiday, you will not be disappointed. This is our fifth trip here and there will be more.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank First_timer909
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, Management Assistant at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your comment on Trip Advisor!
We are content to welcome you for your fifth stay, thank you for your trust in choosing us once again; we appreciate your kind comments and hope you continue enjoying the rest of your stay.
Warmest regards!

Management Assistant

Write a ReviewReviews (6,020)

Reviewed October 7, 2012

We had a wonderful time. Quite impressed with the staff as they were all so very pleasant and worked well as a team. The room was always clean and the food was very good. We thank all the staff for making our stay at the hotel most enjoyable and look forward to seeing you again.
EB - TORONTO

Room Tip: stayed in Villa 38 - quite and close to all amenities
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank Josie B

Dear guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review! It’s a joy to know our staff provided an excellent service making your stay unforgettable, thank you for considering us for your next holidays!
Receive warm regards from all the staff!

Reviewed October 7, 2012

We've been to 4 different all-inclusives in the DR and 12 total when you include Jamaica and the Riviera Maya.

We stayed at the CRB Sept. 22 – 29. We thought the CRB was very nice and we would return. Got upgraded to a suite. Could be because we stayed at the Catalonia Royal Tulum in Mexico. More likely that they are renovating the non-suite buildings.

The food was good to very good on our side and poor (buffet and Steak House) to good (Italian) on the "family" side. Did not eat at the Mexican or Japanese. A lot of the reviews here talked about how the food was not that good, so we brought along a one ounce container of garlic powder. Our group of 4 used it at the Italian restaurant and it helped all our dishes. Used it a little at other times, too. We found that overall the food just needed some salt. They didn’t seem to be using much at all in their preparation.

Seaweed washing ashore was a constant problem and was raked up several times a day. It was worse the first part of the week. Maybe a storm had stirred things up before we arrived?

They have an artificial reef right outside the swimming area made up of concrete tubes laid end-to-end. They weren’t snugged up to each other and there were also holes in the sides so the fish could swim in and out. Best snorkeling we’ve seen without having to take a boat ride. Did see a couple of lionfish. Attractive, but venomous and could soon be the scourge of the Caribbean.

Not a wide array, but there is some top-shelf booze. Stoli, Smirnoff, Jim Beam, Frangelica, Amaretto di Saronna. I think the gin was Gordan’s. I’m not big on rum, but they do have a Ron Barcelo Anejo that was mighty tasty. There is a bar on the beach and they would come around occasionally to take your order, but it was a short walk to the bar so we usually did that.

Two pools, one by the beach with bar service and one up close to the lobby with the swim-up bar. They have a towel shack by the beach and another one up by the pool with the swim-up bar that was open a little later.

Only 20 minutes from airport. One of the closest, if not the closest resort to the airport. Well maintained and beautiful.

Price and ease of air travel will determine when we return. Cancun is much easier for us in St. Louis to get to. We usually can get on a direct charter 3 or 4 days a week.

Pete K. St. Louis, Mo. USA

Room Tip: The building with suites that is closest to the beach was built so that you have to exit the buildin...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank Pete K
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We have just booked our six visit in two and half years to the Royal Catalonia and we can't wait to return. The rooms and grounds are well maintained and the staff is friendly and accommodating. When we return we are always greeted with a "Welcome Back" and we are treated very well. It really has the best of boths worlds as far as what type of vacation you are looking for. If you want to relax then you will enjoy the quietness of the Royal Catalonia. If you feel like you need some action then you can visit next door. The food is good, the drinks are good and you will not be disappointed. We look forward to returning and visiting with Louis and Roberto!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Theresa U

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your comment on Trip Advisor!
We are delighted to read we are the Resort of your choice in Punta Cana, thank you for your preference in our services! Your comments let us know we have achieved to exceed your expectations, we will make sure Luis and Roberto receive your comment!
We look forward to your return for an unforgettable holiday!

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Hotel Catalonia Royal Bavaro!

Firstly I would just like to say don’t bother reading the poor reviews because some people are just so fussy and complain about absolutely everything, and it annoys me!

The hotel is only 20-30 minutes away from Punta Cana airport which is great after a long flight.

Currency- Take dollars instead of pesos.

Me and my boyfriend have just recently returned from two fantastic weeks at the Catalonia Royal Bavaro! After we checked in a member of staff carried our bags to the room, (we were in villa 42) honestly I couldn’t believe how amazing the room was, with a king size bed and a nice hammock on the balcony you can’t complain. I had a look through some reviews before I went away and found that people complained about the smell in the rooms, this is nonsense I couldn’t smell anything!
One person on here complained about getting bit too much! Ha-ha use insect repellent then!

The resort itself is absolutely stunning, and peaceful with no children allowed ha-ha! Although it is a nice change to have a walk onto the family side as all of the entertainment is there and its a lot more lively! They tend to put a different show on every night. Disco that opens at 12am is a laugh!
There are also lots more restaurants over the other side and we were able to eat in the privileged section. On The Royal side there is a beach party once a week (every Thursday) which is a laugh!

There are two pools: Infinity pool by the beach and pool with a bar. The beach is stunning, there is a lot of sea weed which doesn’t bother me, but its funny the amount of people that complain on here, the sea does have sea weed dur! HA-HA! Staff do a great job of cleaning it up throughout the day. Its great to snorkel in the sea and there are many beautiful fish and also some sting rays!

Food and drinks- Overall the food and drinks were good as there is plenty to choose from (good choice of cocktails). On the resort there are 7 restaurants, 3 on the adult only side which are:
-the Sea Blue- next to the infinity pool.
-Tapas - Really posh and lovely food!.
-The Thalassa- In reception, loved my breakfast DONUTS everyday ha-ha!
The lunch menus tend to change every 2 days so you don’t get bored!
My favourite restaurant was the Mexican one which was on the family side it was gorgeous!

Our Thomson rep Felix was amazing, he would always try and sort you out with bits and bobs other holidays makers have left behind! Nothing was too much trouble for him, I thought he was great! All the trips he mentioned sounded great, here are a few I did and absolutely loved:

-Saona Island trip
This was fantastic. It takes about 45 minutes to get to the boat and about one hour to get to the island but its well worth it! Clear blue sea and stunning surroundings. Once your there you can relax and pay for a message if you like, lovely! You get a nice BBQ in the afternoon. On the way back you stop off in the sea and get to hold some star fish which are amazing!

-V.I.P Dolphins
If you love dolphins you will absolutely love this trip. I was just blown away. Would defiantly swim with dolphins again! LOVED IT!

-Horse riding
The horse riding was amazing apart from the journey there and back it takes ages on an uncomfortable truck! But once your on the horses its great, they also let you gallop along the beach! My legs were hurting the day after though ha-ha!

Hope you decide to go on them trips, you wont be disappointed!

I only have one compliant, which is the tipping. (although I imagine it’s the same everywhere in the Caribbean and America) the staff expect a tip after everything, if you don’t tip the service isn’t as good. I disagree with constantly tipping for no reason and I just tip at the end of the holiday if I feel they deserve it, I’m not made of money ha-ha! But don’t let it put you off…..

Finally I hope you decide to give Catalonia Royal a go, you wont be at all disappointed with it! It was amazing I would definitely go back I made some great friends luckily some of them live near!

If you have any questions I would love to help.

26  Thank BethMc19
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, Management Assistant at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Dear Guest,

We are enchanted to receive your comment on Trip Advisor. Thank you for honoring us with a five star score of your recent stay at Catalonia Royal. Your review is most important, always a pleasure to read you found our services and accommodations up to your expectations! Thank you for choosing us! It will be an honor to welcome you back!

Kind regards.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

No major down points for this hotel at all! Beautiful resort with well kept grounds and fantastic staff!

We were in villa 42 and our room exceeded our expectations. Lovely hammock on the balcony! Was so spacious and well kept everyday by the maid. The only problem we had was that the AC started leaking and so we were moved to villa 40 which was exactly the same so we were happy to have the same lovely style room and we experienced no problems with this room.

Food was lovely - a few hit and misses here and there but no complaints because when somewhere different not everyone will be happy or have the same expectations. I found the food nice and ate well for the 2 weeks stay.

Our favourite place was the infinity pool although was the hottest place during the day. The beach was also gorgeous and the swim up bar pool was lovely and spacious but probably the liveliest place to lay out.

The entertainment over on the family side was great! Saw many impressive shows including Michael Jackson show and a circuis type show. Best place to go of an evening for some entertainment because it stays chilled and quiet on the royal side.

The best perk of the royal side is the privilege of not having to reserve any of the restaurants and going as many times as we wanted.

The one thing I would say that we didn't realise was that the lunch menu changes everyday in the thalassa restaurant so we missed out on some fantastic food as the dinner menu stays the same in the restaurant at night so we assumed lunch was the same. That's the only thing I would change so that there was more choice for dinner.

I've seen a lot of people saying about the towel guy by the pool. Bless him I think he liked to interact with the guests and teach them a bit of Spanish to get the towels which I found great and funny... He looked young and bless him he spent all day cooped in the little hut on his own so I think it's only fair for him to create a bit of entertainment for himself.

Overall an amazing holiday and we would definately return once we've seen more of the world 1st.

Room Tip: The basic deluxe suite room exceeded our expectations so would definately recommend
7  Thank hanshel

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor.
We are delighted to read your comments about our grounds and staff,they strive to provide the best service for your holidays. We apologize for the inconvenience with the room, it was our pleasure to assist you and resolve the issue quickly. Thank you for your suggestions, its wonderful to read you had an amazing stay at Catalonia Royal. We hope to welcome you for your next holidays in the DR!

Best regards.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

What can I say, this place is amazingly relaxing. Was able to check in early, Jr. Suite is amazing, king sized bed, deep bathtub next to bed, fresh flowers everyday, etc. Every employee in the hotel serves you with a smile and are always attentive to what you need. All the restaurants in the Royal side are spot on gorgeous, great food and service all time high. There is no ONE waiter/waitress for each section of a restaurant... this is what I liked, ALL waiters/tresses helped taking your food and delivering it. Thalassa is all good for breakfast/lunch/dinner, the restaurant close to the beach (forgot name) was also good for lunch only, bit hot since its open air restaurant, and Cata Tapas excellent.

You can go to the Bavaro side, 5 extra restaurants there, me and my wife went to some of them, average food, service is good, but not as fast as in the Royal Side.

All in all, you will get a relaxing stay here in the Royal Catalonia, but if you want a party ambiance, go to the Bavaro side, right next to you.

Now for my negatives and advice: Bring all your $1 bills you can because I was unable to change my 20s and $10 bills. The Front Desk and the Casino.... CASINO did not have $1 bills to change for me.... Front Desk I could understand, but a CASINO... they would only change ONE of my $5 bills and refused to change any other bills that I had. I couldn't believe that crap, but oh well, I'm writing this here to see if the hotel sees this and fix this for other future guests.

The other thing is.... OMG the prices in the gift shops in the little mall that they had were atrocious. $45 for a Towel, $15 - $20 for some flip flops?!?!?!?!?! are you SERIOUS? They need to lower ALL their prices because they should sell more stuff cheap then sell less stuff expensive... YOU WILL GET MORE CLIENTS that way.

Anyways, that would be my only gripe about my stay, everything else, Spa massages excellent, pool and beach beautiful, HK always cleaned room nicely, free WiFi, Free internet usage in some computers in the main lobby... it was so sad that we had to leave. I definitely will recommend this hotel.

11  Thank FlakoPR

Dear guest,

It’s a pleasure to receive your post on Trip Advisor! Thank you for choosing Catalonia Royal for your recent stay in Punta Cana, we are delighted to read your expectations were exceeded with our services, and found the relaxing ambiance for your holidays. Thank you for sharing you feedback, it’s most important to make sure to improve in the areas mentioned. Thank you for recommending our resort; it will be a pleasure to receive a second visit!

Best regards