6,725 results
All reviews royal side infinity pool piano bar cata tapa thalassa restaurant tapas restaurant the sea blue restaurant tao cat rodeo steak house juice bar royal guests la toscana yuca swim up bar deluxe junior suite sister resort sea grass
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We have traveled to this resort twice in the past two years and have been very pleased with the food, service and location. It's nice that it is so close to the airport and located on a beautiful beach! They only have a few wheelchair accessible rooms, so if this is required, be sure to arrange this ahead of time. If you don't need a fully adapted room, but use a scooter or wheelchair for mobility - be aware that there are no elevators at this resort. You will need to make arrangements for a ground floor room. On the odd occasion that an area wasn't accessible, a quick report to the front desk resorted in a ramp being put in place. They always seemed willing to help. The addition of a beach wheelchair would be terrific since I really miss not being able put my feet in the ocean!

We really appreciated the great service and friendliness of Carlos and Ruben on both trips!

It is nice having the option of more restaurants, entertainment, shopping, etc. next door, but was so nice that we could always return to a quiet, slower-paced atmosphere on the Royal side. There is a good chance that we will be returning to this resort again this year!

Room Tip: Be sure to make arrangements ahead of time if you require an accessible room.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Mari-Lynn C
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful comment.

We appreciate you choosing us for your holidays, and being a repeated guest to our resort. We are very content our accommodations are up to your standard. Thank you for you kind suggestions, and comment about our staff, Carlos and Ruben will be congratulated!

We look forward to your next holidays.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

Ive just spent 2 weeks at this hotel. I want to give a balanced feedback so here goes....

What is 5 star: The staff are mostly friendly and attentive, some of the food in Thalassa and Catatapas, service was pretty much delivered on demand within minutes, cocktails, a relaxing environment (if you want to chill and have a quiet holiday this is the place), dominican bbq on sunday, the pools and number of sun loungers (never an issue)

What is excellent: the spa facilities (amazing steam room though sauna could be warmer), the room cleanliness, bbq party on the beach, beds on the beach and drinks service there

What is poor: got a smelly room first day (they offered me another equally smelly room) but then a dehumidifier (which took most but not all the horrible smell away), they did offer to move me later in the week but then they seemed to repair the air conditioner in our block and suddenly we had freezing but not humid rooms, the occasional mix up on food orders in thalassa (waiters wrote down what we wanted but then got other dishes-i received this myself on several occasions and also witnessed it happening to others), the lack of any real adult level entertainment (piano bar is only 3 nights per week and just a piano and no atmosphere in the bar), rarely some of the food was served cold or portions too small e.g. fries in sea restaurant and Io had to ask for more or return the food.

Overall though I had a wonderful trip (was even looking at extending my stay) however the hotel really could be better by providing a caribbean steel band/live music in the empty bar area outside thalassa. Whilst there the hotel had drafted in an independent company to review the hotel via guest questionnaires and its refreshing to see that the hotel does want to improve, Id recommend this only as a 4 star hotel, it isn't 5. A lick of paint/touch up job on furniture wouldn't go amiss in the resort. Seaweed was removed daily but can't be helped. Jet bath is not a jacuzzi bath as often advertised on external sites but merely a step in bath that takes an hour to fill!.
bed mattress could be better. Food next door in the family side is no where near the level on the adult side. Entertainment there is cheesy shows for kids and the place resembles a cattle market restaurants no air con and flies everywhere. Avoid it.

There was a lack of communication about what was going on around the hotel, e.g., the beach paella wasn't advertised, the second week they did advertise the bbq but again it could be much clear on an information board printed largely. The internet wifi works in some areas but not others though they had free access in the reception area in a booth with a book library (again i would have known unless someone told me-and it was always other guests). Little golf carts to transport you around are excellent and the cold drink on arrival and cold refreshing towel (this to me is 5 star!). The hotel needs to be much clearer and stricter about the dress code. I witnessed both sexual and disability discrimination in the sea restaurant. Why is it ok for a woman to sit with her swimming costume on in a restaurant but a man can't? A severely handicapped boy was kicked out the restaurant because he wouldn't wear his t shirt (even though the rest of the family did) yet a french young man at the next table was allowed to quote because he was going on a boat trip. If its trousers in thalassa then there should be no exceptions. Yes I think in Thalassa and Catatapas it should be dress for dinner but during the day there is no place you can go eat in your sarong/beachwear/ beach wear without having to trek back to your room and change..I think thats asking too much of guests!!! I wasn't informed about the dress code upon arrival (and id booked it last minute) but fellow guests told me the men were told of the code and that the women could wear what they want Seems a bit outdated if you ask me.

The only think i really disliked was the smelly room (and not all of them smell-but its down to a lack of proper ventilation in the bathroom etc) and also as a solo traveller I experienced on more than one occasion male staff touching me inappropriately (hand round my shoulder, on my back, my hair, on one occasion my backside). Whilst the Dominican friendliness is part of their culture (a touchy feel one) I don't think it is appropriate to be touching females in this way. It wouldn't have happened had I been with a man. On another occasion some male staff asked for info/contact details of other solo females and we were made to wait for this fiasco to finish before we could start eating our dinner which was going cold. Several evenings at dinner I was approached and annoyed to be asked - Im not a matchmaker for single male staff -the hotel should remind male staff about that. Concierge were superb and went out of their way but I was very shocked that when the concierge had kindly called a local pharmacy to get me a quote on medication and i was quoted one price ($115) and when it came to booking the actual delivery the pharmacy wanted 200 dollars almost double. I think the hotel/concierge should insist that this kind of behaviour isn't really acceptable/they shouldn't use them again!. I told the pharmacy to forget my order and I picked up my prescription at a local pharmacy myself in Bayahibe whilst on an excursion for a more realistic 60 dollars. Their loss.

Overall though I enjoyed my stay but there would need to be improvements before i really thought about going back and spending that kind of money again. I didn't consider given the lack of entertainment and the limited menu choice good value for money and I spent a lot for this trip. Brochures should be more accurate when describing the hotel facilities e.g.; the jet bath as many other guests also say they were led to believe they were getting more, not really the hotels fault but leads to disappointment.

Room Tip: i stayed in Villa 42 people in villa 44 said they didn't have smelly rooms. If you stay in the private villas its a bit of a trek in the heat to and from the restaurant and flooded paving stones so your feet get wet (really stupid given the dress code in the restaurants-hence why i wore my flip-flops)
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
8  Thank orangecagoule

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable time invested on TripAdvisor.

First of all we are glad to know you had overall a wonderful stay at our Resort. We would like to apologize for any inconvenience presented throughout your stay, we are glad to know we were able to resolve quickly with the room, to assure your accommodation. Once again our apologies,

We kindly inform that our hotel and restaurants standards apply to all guests, as we strive to assure a pleasant ambiance for all guests.

Thank you for your important feedback, we hope to have the chance of another visit with the goal of exceeding your expectations.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

We were this year for the third time in this hotel.
The quality decreases slowly but surely.
The beach dinner is not good and the room service was also better.
The service staff is friendly and good-humored as ever.
On the whole I would recommend this hotel yet.
Caution: At the beach there is a "security" under the name Guerrero. He insults and deceives the people on the beach.
Best just ignore and do not let him respond.

2  Thank maxmax92

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to comment on TripAdvisor.

We appreciate your fidelity to our resort, our sincere apologies for the situations presented during your stay, please note we will take action in this matter, being our guest satisfaction our main goal. We hope to have the chance to win back your trust in our services.

We will be delighted to have the honor of being your vacation choice once again.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for a three night romantic getaway and we did not want to leave! From the time of our arrival the staff was helpful and kind. We even upgraded our room to have a private pool! Our suite was updated and beautiful! The food was fine for an all-inclusive, but I would not recommend the Italian restaurant on the family-friendly side of the resort. We are definitely booking another stay at his resort!

4  Thank Adelola D

Dear Guest,

It’s a pleasure to receive your comment on TripAdvisor!

Thank you for your five star appreciations of our services.

We are delighted to know we have exceeded your expectations, thank you for considering us for your next holidays! We are very thankful for your kind comments; we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Warmest regards.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

This hotel is the place to go !!! That's our 3rd time at the Royal section for adult only. Everything is perfect the service (every where), rooms, food, beach, sea, golf. It's quiet, clean and the complexe in not too big. The employees are fantastic. I wish to go back as soon as possible.

Room Tip: They are very comfortable and all of them have king size bed. If you want more space take a deluxe room. They also few suite with individual swimming pool near the beach. For people who wants the biggest suite I never seen, with 2 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms (good for 4 people) choose the president suite.
7  Thank Beaudoin
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting on TripAdvisor!

Also we would like to thank you for choosing us for your holidays; we are delighted to know we exceeded your expectations once again. Thank you for your fantastic comment about our staff and facilities.

Looking forward to your next holidays at Catalonia Royal Bavaro!

Warmest regards.