“Great Resort”

GreenLeadersGold level
Glace Bay, Nova S cotia
“Great Resort”
Reviewed November 1, 2011

We stayed here last February, our first time at an adults only resort. This was however, our 6th visit to Punta Cana. I truly enjoyed our stay, our room was lovely, spacious, clean and nicely decorated. The hamock on the patio was a nice perk as were the robes.

I particularly liked the fact that we did not require a reservation for the a la carte restaurants . We really enjoyed the Mexican one and the Steakhouse. We ate lunch every day at the beach restaurant and the food there was always good.

The men in our group enjoyed the free golf on three occassions and said the both the 9 and 18 hole courses were very good.

The pool at the adult resort was alot of fun, we did not miss having groups of drunken teens taking over the pool and swim up bar, it was very relaxing.

Overall service was very good, even the internet worked well, and there was never much of a wait to use a computer in the main lobbey. We were even able to connect to the wifi with our IPODS from our rooms.

We are in the process of booking our trip for next February and are seriously thinking of returning here. This would be the first time we decided to stay at the same resort twice.
Don't think you can go wrong with this place.

Room Tip: We stayed in the buildings closer to the beach, we were facing the other resort but would request to...
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
9 Thank Glacebaygirl
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, November 3, 2011
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing Catalonia Royal Bavaro. It will be our pleasure to welcome you back on February, once again.

Thank you for posting your opinion on TripAdvisor, we are happy you had a great experience at our Resort.

We look forward to your second visit.

Kindest regards.

Josep Castellnou

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,029)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Reviewed October 28, 2011

Our trip was in May 2011 (sorry for delay). I have been to quite a few all inclusive resorts and this one was one of my favorites. The hotel had a few issues 1)power would go out every night around midnight but normally we were asleep and never noticed since it would come back on a few minutes later and 2)hot water in the shower would come and go. Aside from that, the beach was incredible, drinks were good, and I thought the food was surprisingly delicious. The buffet was pretty gross but the other restaurants, especially Thalassa and the Tapas place were great. My favorite part was that the resort was so peaceful and quiet. I don't like the animation crews that most resorts have, and the non-royal side did have this, but no one ever bothered us. We would come back to this place in a heartbeat! Great value for the price paid and the beach is the best I have ever been to.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank LesleyJustin
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Catalonia Royal as one of your favorites Resorts.

Your feedback is very important, we apologize for any inconvenience.

We are content you enjoyed our relax ambiance, restaurants and beach.

Again thank you for taking your time to comment on TripAdvisor.

Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed October 28, 2011

If I could describe it in one word it would be "Paradise." This trip gave me a chance to brush up on my spanish. Before going on this trip, I had different thoughts, but after experiencing this for this first time; an all inclusive experience at Punta Cana; this trip was everything and more. It's one of the best trips I've went on. You don't have to fly far; plus you get excellent service; everyone is nice and everything is so clean. This trip catered to anyone; if you wanted to just be relaxed, meet new people, read books at the beach/swimming pool you could or if you wanted to be active; this resort has numerous activities water aerobics, kayaking, volleyball, dancing lessons, fun games on the beach/pools, etc. The shows, food, entertainment, people you meet; everything was great. We went on this trip for my cousin's birthday; they made it extra special by singing to her at breakfast and dinner; two different restaurants; Gran Caribe and Tapas. The animation teams are so lively. They're excellent dancers and instructors and super friendly. Thanks to everyone at Royal Catalonia Bavaro for making our trip extra special; one trip we're not ever going to forget.Thanks Pablo Cesar for everything especially for being tri-lingual. some spoke english, but Pablo's language skills was excellent; thanks for everything Pablo and making us feel welcomed, and the rest of the animation team melanie, sophia, johnie, robinson, the really tall funny guy with thin curly hair, etc.. Thanks to everyone at Royal Catalonia Bavaro for giving us a wonderful memorable trip! below attached at some of the photos I captured on this trip. If you guys get a chance to ride the segway, do it. It was fun and a nice experience. Thanks Michelle! We also did two cultural tours. string rays/swimming with the sharks; that was a nice experience. The other cultural tour we went on was visiting the school children and riding the horses. If you guys want, but some school supplies for the children, but you have to bring it in advance. The rest of the photos are photos taken a the resort. Everything is beautiful and clean there. everywhere you go, the scenery is breath taking; whether it be on the beach, at the pool or walking through the resort. Thanks again Royal Catalonia Bavaro!!! Good Luck to everyone we met along the way; Take care and safe, fun travels!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank kate l
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful comment on TripAdvisor. We appreciate you sharing your wonderful vacation experience at Catalonia Royal.

We are more than happy to create special moments to make your vacation unforgettable.

We will make sure our staff receives your special thanks.

Look forward to your next visit.

Kindest regards.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2011

My partner & I have returned home this week from our amazing 2 week holiday. This was our first holiday in the DR. From the time we arrived at the hotel till the time we left we were treated to pure luxury with huge smiles. Nothing was to much trouble for any of the staff. Our room was 4206, the maid assigned to this room was really lovely and so attentive which made us feel really special. The food was really great. The beach bar staff were always there serving us with drinks non stop on the beach. The beach was always maintained all day. The food at the restaurants was outstanding everytime and with so much varitey. The paella cooked in front of us on the beach was so good. All the restaurant staff were so happy and friendly. The gardens all around the resort are very well maintained the gardeners work so hard and everyday had a smile. Every evening we would like to go for a drink in the Piano Bar where there are fab bar staff. We would like to mention Eltor, Hetor, Manuel, Andy, Robert & Keyla they made the piano bar such a great place to be. They are very special people. We were very impressed with the musicians that played in the bar. The Beach Party & Domincian Day were great too. We would like to say a very big thank you to all Staff & Mangement at the Cataolnia Royal Bavaro. Also, to Nathan our holiday rep. We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel. Once again a brilliant holiday.Thank You to all. We will be back. Senor Beam

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter.
10 Thank russell1965
Dear Guest,

We are very happy to read you had an amazing holiday at Catalonia Royal Bavaro.

Thank you for choosing our Resort for your first visit to the Dominican Republic.

It was our pleasure to provide the service and attentions to make your stay memorable.

We would love to welcome you back on your second visit to DR.

Warmest regards.

Stevens Point
Reviewed October 24, 2011

My husband & I just returned from a week long stay at Catalonia Royal. This was our first trip to the Dominican & absolutely LOVED our stay. If we could've extended our time there, we certainly would have. The airport transfer was quick & efficient--about a 15-20 min drive from the airport to the hotel. Check in at the resort was quick & easy as well. We were greeted with a cold towel & refreshing drink. We stayed in a Junior Deluxe Suite which was located close to the beach & pools. The room was wonderful! Spacious, clean, very modern. The bed was comfortable, the air conditioning worked great. Never had a problem with the electricity or any bugs. It was perfect. We ate at every restaurant except for the Steakhouse (we're not steak eaters) & the Italian. We went to the Mexican restaurant twice--the chicken taco appetizer was SO good--I ordered it as my main entree the second time. The buffett is nice--there's a lot to choose from so you will always find something that appeals to you. We utilized both resorts--we enjoyed the pools on both sides. The Royal side was quiet & relaxing--we went there in the early mornings. Switched to the family side during the afternoon--a lot more people & socializing. Service was great at all bars & restaurants--we have no complaints at all. We enjoyed the beach as well & again, had no problems getting a seat. We snorkeled right off the beach & got some amazing photos of the colorful fish below--along with a lion fish & baby sting ray! We fed the fish bread right out of our hands. They would just surround you from every direction--a lot of fun & pretty exciting. The grounds of the resorts are beautiful!! Everything is so well kept & manicured. The garden on the family side is gorgeous! So many different birds, turtles, fish..we even saw a few lizards. This place was definetly "Paradise". The weather couldn't have been any more perfect either. It was probably in the 90's during the day & upper 70's at night. Sun every day--no rain at all! So, needless to say, we are sporting some pretty nice tans right now. Lol! They also had a photographer walking around taking random photos. Pictures turned out great & we did purchase some. Night time entertainment was good...they did a beach party, a Saturday Night Fever theme, a Burlesque show...all were good. We gambled a bit in the casino & hung out in the lobby bar a few nights. Never made it to the disco though. The Presidente beer was actually REALLY good. I enjoy Bud Light here in the states, however, I enjoyed their beer equally as well. We went to Jamaica twice last year & really enjoyed Negril, however, our experience here was that everything seemed a bit more updated. I guess the only complaint we have is that the week went by way too fast! Next time we will have to book our trip for 10 days instead of 7. We would absolutely return to this resort..we will defintely be back to Punta Cana. We would recommend this place to anyone. Thank you to all the staff at Catalonia for helping make our trip Incredible!!

Room Tip: Junior Deluxe Suite was excellent--very clean & modern. No problems with air conditioning or plu...
16 Thank 2SlipperyEels
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, October 26, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted you have chosen us for your first visit to Punta Cana.

Your kind words let us know you have enjoyed your stay at Catalonia Royal Bavaro; it was our pleasure to provide the service to make your vacation stay excellent.

We will be delighted to welcome you for your second visit to the Dominican Republic.

Canada
Reviewed October 24, 2011

We went to this resort September 24th for a week long stay. We are already saving money and planning to go back! I have been to Punta Cana before and when we went we stayed at Dreams Palm Beach. Almost went back there this time but instead chose to try the Catalonia Royal- Boy did we make the right choice! Rooms were beautiful with a nice big two person tub in the room and a sep. shower in the bathroom. Our deck had a hammock and bistro table and was always relaxing- I will admit there was a bit more walking then I expected- However that turned out to be a GREAT thing because the food is AMAZING and you will never go hungry. The infinity pool is so relaxing and the drinks are amazing. Tapa restaurant is the best and has a great selection. When I tell you the food is amazing I mean amazing. I have celiac disease and also cannot have any dairy and I still had plenty of choices- They even have soy milk on their breakfast buffet- And next door at the bavaro in the Italian, Japanese, American,Mexican and buffet restaurants there is lots of selection- We travelled with a vegetarian as well and she had absolutely no problems eating either-

Beach was always being cleaned. They maintain that place wonderfully. Staff is very cordial and very classy. Very well mannered and humble. Nicest people. Our first night our mattress was very uncomfortable and I have back problems, my husband called down and they even switched our mattress for us- We had the choice to switch our room or they would switch our mattress.

We loved this resort. I am telling you. LOVED. It is very much worth your time. Shows are at Bavaro next door and were great there was a Michael jackson one, a broadway one, a world dance show etc.

Oh and the market there is amazing. The prices are phenom. Completely reasonable- The prices at the accessories store are better than the prices have ever been even from beach vendors!

Excursions we did the Doon Boogies- It was alot of fun- We got covered in mud and you have an opp. to swim in a cave etc. Was a riot, a book right on the beach with Happy Man and he will give you a great price.

Also we had the best maid in the world. Which made us so very happy- She always went above and beyond. Kristina is the best.

All in all would not change a thing. On our anniversary we received a knock on our door when we were getting ready for dinner and in walked room service with a bottle of champagne on ice , flutes,plates and a cake ust for us- decorated Happy Anniversary!- It was just beautiful.

This place goes above and beyond. Do not believe negative reviews I assure you.

Room Tip: Our room was great as was the couple that travelled with us room- i wouldn't worry too much- You...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Paige F
Dear Guest,

Your comment on Trip Advisor is much appreciated, thank you.

We are content to read you are planning already your second visit to Catalonia Royal. We look forward to your arrival.

Our main goal is guest satisfaction, its wonderful our hotel facilities and service went beyond your expectations.

We will make sure Cristina receives your special thanks.

Warmest regards.

Washington DC
Reviewed October 24, 2011

I booked the CRB for a 3 night stay and was arriving from SD. The trip was not the best so, I was happy to be welcomed with a cocktail and a towel. I mistakenly booked my reservation 1 day after my arrival. Reception worked out the problem and everything went OK.

ROOMS
Traveled my wife and I and stayed at a Junior Suite room. Room was very good it had a very comfortable bed, sofas, stocked minibar and a balcony with a hammock. Bathroom were good, very modern, my only complain is that one of us needed to leave the room in case we wanted to use the bathroom since there was only a glass separated the bathroom from the rest of the suite. Room was a decent walk to the beach and other sites of the hotel, so location was OK.

RESTAURANTS
There are high and lows for the restaurant. I will mostly likely recommend the Spanish and the Japanese restaurant for dinner. Presentations and food were good. I went to Thalase for lunch one day and was disappointing since they only served pasta, and had a very limited barbque, never went back. There is a huge buffet in the building, huge variety so you will most likely find something you like there. Mexican food is one of my favorite foods in the world, I will not recommend the mexican rest., having meat on a tortilla does not qualify as mexican. This may do to some tourist, but I have a taste for authentic more traditional and not texmex.

I recommend you make use of the room service, specially if your waking up late and can't make it on time for the breakfast.

BEACH
I figure it was low season, so beach was not crowded. Very pleasant, since we walked in and had our chairs and umbrella at any time (when we didn't we pulled a chair from the pool and draged it) Beach had a few algae, but nothing that bothered me. Transparent water, sugar like sand. Very good!

Overall I had a good experience. There were a few things they need to improve, but we payed $100 per person per night. So this was diffinetly worth my money.

2 Thank jcmontys
Dear guest,

First of all thank you for your valuable opinion on TripAdvisor.

Your detailed comments about our services are well appreciated. We are glad our staff was able to accommodate you on your arrival. We strive to provide a service to exceed our guest’s expectations.

Thank you for your recommendations; it will be our pleasure to welcome you back in the future.