6,675 results
All reviewsroyal sideinfinity poolpiano barcata tapathalassa restauranttapas restaurantthe sea blue restauranttao catrodeo steak housejuice barroyal guestsla toscanayucaswim up bardeluxe junior suitesister resortsea grass
Reviewed April 14, 2011

I would love to be writing an informative review of this hotel. I cant because we were relocated, along with our travel buddies. I had no idea this was even possible being a new traveller. Thankfully we were all relocated however after talking to others relocated (12 couples were moved to NH Royal and we spoke to 10) it became clear it is likely due to having booked early. The price went higher as the dates came closer, we booked in October...the higher price got the product...buyer beware. I dont recommend booking here.

8  Thank Crashtester9
PuntaCanaCabezaToro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2011

Dear Guest,

We are very sorry to read about your experience we do apologize for this inconvenience.

As a management team, we would like to ensure you that we took this comments seriously.
We look forward to seeing you again when you return for your next stay.

Reviewed April 13, 2011

My beautiful wife and I spent a week here 30 Mar 11 . This is my 7 th time in the D.R. and her 5 th . Do not let your first impression fool you . Yes the entrance could do with an upgrade however once you are in your impression will change ,. We were greated with cool towels and a cool drink. We arrived early and were informed our room was ready. The room was damp and requested a dehumidifer . We had to ask again the next day and it was delivered . Also I have a Cpap machine which need an extension cord as there are no outlets beside the bed. This took three days to get . My wife was not happy with my snoring . Rooms were very clean and we had lots of hot water no matter what time of day . We had no power outages. The service on the Royal side was great in all the resturants with the Talahassa the best . We went for breakfast and supper once at the buffet on the sister resort Good food too many people and too hot . I found all the resturants on that side too hot . Air conditioning needs to be turned up . Burgers at the Sea Blue and all the food there was great . I had a burger on the other side and it was what i call a repeater Different quality . The beach was nice and calm with no big waves that you get at the other end. Sure there was some seaweed however you are in the ocean. People cleaning this throughout the day . Lots of fish by the pipe Take bread or bananas and they eat out of your hand . We met people from all over and this was great. My only complaint was the smoking at the pool bar Too much . We had great service from Martha she greated us every morning with a nice smile. Robert at the beach makes great coco locos . The towel game is alive and well here and even getting to the beach at 7 am did not help . We allways foung loungers however had to drag some from the pool area. Lots of broken loungers that should have been removed and replaced . Tips are accepted however not expected . I tip for GOOD service only. If you want a relaxing vacation with no kids loud music , time share sellers beach vendors this is the place . Go next srore for that. Great time and I rate this as my second best resort so far . With a little attention to detail this would be #1

7  Thank regrag
PuntaCanaCabezaToro, Director General at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for recommending Catalonia Royal Bavaro on TripAdvisor.

We are happy to hear that you had enjoyed your recent stay with us and that you were pleased with the service and facilities at the property.

All your kind comments are greatly appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed April 12, 2011

We were scheduled to stay at the Catalonia Royal for 5 days and nights. This resort is so disorganized that they overbooked the hotel by a very large margin. The purpose of our trip was to attend our friends wedding, and they were totally unapologetic that they had to move us 25 minutes to a different hotel so that we couldn't be part of the wedding festivities. We asked them to provide transportation to compensate us for the inconvenience. Not only did we have to argue with them for 3 days to get this, but once we did the person supposed to be providing the transportation was at least an hour late every time they had to pick us up, or just simply unavailable so we had to take a cab to return to our hotel. We finally just gave up and stopped going to this resort to be with the friends that we had scheduled the trip with. This hotel has no concept of customer service!

The only positive thing they did was transfer us to another hotel...

Room Tip: Don't stay here....
Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank heberc22
PuntaCanaCabezaToro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2011

Dear Ms / Mr,

We are very sorry to read about your experience, we do apologize for this inconvenience.

We look forward to seeing you again, when you return for your next stay.

Reviewed April 11, 2011

We stayed on the Adult side of the resort! Our flights and everything were fine but finding the right people to take us to the resort was sort of a mess. My husband and I and 8 of our friends booked our trip on Delta vacations. We finally found the person who knew who would take us to our hotel. There were local workers EVERYWHERE who want to help with your bags and such. Try to just tell them "No, gracias!" and they will leave you alone.
We were taken to the family side of the resort on accident and we found their lobby was much much nicer than the adult side. I've heard the rooms are much nicer though on the adult side. We got into our room after they cleaned it and I wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be. The pictures looked much nicer. I thought the rooms were a little cramped. Our room was facing another building and just wasn't that inviting. We also weren't impressed with the mini bar selection of 2 beers and 4 pops and 2 waters. The only snacks they had were 2 airplane sized peanut bags and 2 things of "Recereo's." Which I guess are the local oreo's. I tried to switch to a pool side view becuase none of the rooms face the ocean but the staff wasn't too helpful. My husband went in and ended up upgrading to the room with the loft and private infinity pool. I was very impressed with the size and comfort of these rooms. Room service wasn't the greatest and had a limited menu. We ordered ham and cheese sandwiches one night and the bread was hard and the fries were absolutely cold. They didn't offer but 4 things after 10pm and the options weren't good. They can only deliver more of what's in your fridge. I wanted wine and they wouldn't bring it but I was able to pay the guy at the bar to bring a couple bottles to our room.
The restaurants were ok but it's definitely not the food we are used to. I liked the Japanese Steak house the most! Tapas wasn't my kind of food and I'm pretty picky so I didn't eat much that night. The restaurant by the lobby was pretty good and the breakfast buffet there was pretty good in the mornings! I had french toast about every day! The buffet on the family side was ok. I had some excellent pasta made in front of me one day but the next day it wasn't as good and the lady cooking was in a HORRIBLE mood. We didn't go back after that. The steak restaurant was pretty good but again the service wasn't the best. There is a daily pizza bar that was ok but they stop serving early and the only things to eat at night are chips with cheese out of a dispenser and fries and weird bbq wings. I wasn't impressed at all.
We visited the Discoteca a couple of nights and we had a lot of fun!! That is on the family side. The adult side gets pretty quiet at night and there isn't much to do if anything. Even the "beach party" left us wanting more. We went to the family sides beach party and had a lot of fun!
The beach is beautiful and they do a good job of cleaning up the seaweed that comes in daily. We took the kayaks out one afternoon and really enjoyed that! A guy also came by and let us try out a segway one afternoon!
We did a glass bottom boat tour that was ok. The guy was pushy and we ended up riding in the boat for a long time and it became rather boring. We also chartered a boat and went deep sea fishing which everyone loved even though we didn't bring any fish in. We had fish on the line but they all got off :( The guys went golfing one day and seemed to have a good time. The girls stayed at the resort and had a spa day which was an adventure. Four of us went and we decided to do the couples packages to save money. Little did I know that I would be totally naked in a room with this person. I wouldn't have done the spa had I known this AND the services were not worth the money. I wouldn't spend my money there in retrospect!
The best part was the drinks! We took large double insulated cups with straws and it was definitely smart. They only provide tiny cups and your drink would be gone in two sips so I recommend taking your own cup! And always ask for top shelf liquor cuz they won't give it to you unless you ask and you don't pay any more for it!!
The resort had a lot of canadians and Europeans! We only saw 6 people from the US on our trip! Needless to say the Europeans aren't modest so you will see topless women and A LOT of banana hammocks (speedo's)! We met a lot of awesome Canadians! Didn't talk to many Europeans much...I guess they aren't as friendly :(
Overall, the resort is beautiful but we won't be going back in the future. We might try out another resort on the island though!

Room Tip: Pick a pool side view room if possible!
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravelingD11
PuntaCanaCabezaToro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2011

Dear Guest,

We do appreciate the time you took to write a few words about your positive experience at Catalonia Royal Bavaro.

We have taken note of your comments and we can assure you and future guests that we shall work on that immediately.

Best Regards

Reviewed April 11, 2011

As in title, this resort is maybe a 4 Star and nowheres near comparable to the RIUs, Gran Bahias, Oceans, Secrets, etc. For the price (under $1000cdn) it is a good value. Room 3606. Killed cockroaches daily. Missed a few as well. One was making it's way out of the sink drain. No hot water one evening. Toilet encloser emitted a noticeable sewer odor when opened after being closed for a few hours. Electric plug inside safe would trip room's main breaker and cut all electricity. Room was very musty and damp. No english sport channel. Courtesy room on last day was in room 4201. This room may be a 3 Star. No towel or glass replenishment between couples using courtesy room.
Bed / mattress best we've experienced in the Caribbean.
Food was very good.
Waiters, hostesses, grounds personnel extremely polite and freindly.
Regular waiters on the beach taking drink orders.
Beach cleaning personnel are second to none.
Beach is great.
Grounds were immaculate. Will become even nicer with time.
The garden in the center of the Bavaro section is wonderful. Possibly the best in Punta Cana.
Use of water around lobby and restaurants at the Bavaro section is a beautiful touch.
Entertainment was excellent.
Golf course was very nice. Worth it just to take a walk around.
Local market only a few minutes up the beach.
Would return for the same price, but again, this is not a 5 Star resort.

1  Thank claywillard