“For us, Perhaps the Best Ever”

Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club
Ranked #1 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta, Georgia
“For us, Perhaps the Best Ever”
Reviewed July 25, 2010

I apologize in advance for this long and rambling review. However, we had such a unique and enjoyable time at Tortuga Bay, I feel compelled to give back a little to the site that directed me there!
As stated, we picked Tortuga Bay for a week long vacation based exclusively on the reviews seen here on Tripadvisor. We have traveled extensively throughout the US, Carribean, and Europe and have stayed at the typical high end places- Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, Iberostar, etc. The Tortuga Bay resort is likely the best, and certainly in the top 2 or three places we have visited over the last 10 years.
The "campus" is actually a 15,000 acre complex which is in a sense separate from the remaining island. It includes the privately owned international airport, Tortuga Bay Resort, The Punta Cana Resort Hotel, Punta Cana Village, some luxury private homes, and two operating golf courses- La Cana and Corrales. When you land in Punta Cana, you are already within the confines of the 15,000 acre complex. Within the campus, there is excellent development and infrastructure- well maintained roads, streetlights, restaurants and shopping. You will feel as if you are in any well developed part of the world.
Once at the airport, you're greeted on the tarmac by the resort's VIP service and wisked quickly through customs to your shuttle. Contrary to what I saw from other reviews, this appeared to be a very eclusive service. Of the hundreds of travellers lined up to pass through customs, we were the only party to have this service. It did not appear that any other resorts made it available to its clients. Upon our departure, there is a VIP lounge for the reort's clients. We were the only two clients in the lounge, which was large, luxurious, and on level with the finest frequent flyer lounges that I have encountered anywhere in the world. The arrival/departure VIP service is unlike anything I have experienced and makes this relatively expensive resort even more worthwhile.
The resort is gated and a separate enclave withing the campus. Once again, Tortuga is separate from the remaining resort- giving it an "ultra exclusive" feel. Once at Tortuga, we were taken immediately to our Junior Suite for check in. Our villa manager, Victor, took great lengths to make sure we understood everything. We were supplied with a cell phone and keys to our own golf cart. Any whim could be realized by hopping in our cart or calling our villa manager via the dedicated cell phone.
The room was very large and superbly appointed, consistent with what you would expect from Oscar de la Renta. Large comfortable bed, WiFi internet, large flat screen satellite TV. The room has a large wrap around veranda overlooking the Carribean and is only about 100 feet from the private beach. Large closet, huge bathroom with L'occitane products, double vanity and garden tub, and a large dedicated kitchenette off the entry foyer. Again, it is a very large, sunny, and luxurious room on par or superior to anything you will encounter, even at this price range.
The restaurant, Bamboo, is excellent. They had a sale on wine so each bottle was 1/2 price. We had one slight problem with the preparation of my steak one evening- undercooked then overcooked. The staff graciously comped the steak without my asking. I would not have expected this and did not solicit the complimentary steak, which was quite tasty despite not being cooked to my specs. We also had breakfast each morning at Bamboo- delicious, fresh food with attentive service.
We played 2 rounds of golf- at La Cana and at Corrales. Both courses were outstanding, with incredible views of the Carribean. The La Cana course designer, PB Dye, was in residence while we were there. He and his lovely wife, Jean, are extremely kind and friendly people. We feel like we made two new friends while we were there! I got an education on turf and golf course design from one of the world's best! Mr. Dye is constructing a third course, Hacienda, opening next year. At Corrales, our caddie David was great- highly recommended. The course pro, Jay Overton, is a fantastic guy and went out of his way to make our experience feel special. Golfers can plan on a world class experience at Tortuga Bay.
The beach at Tortuga is gorgeous, with attentive service from Ezekier. I agree with others that the chairs could have been more comfortable, but it didn't deter me from napping for several hours! 2 towels will pad the chairs more than adequately. Most of the time, we were the only persons on the beach- something we have not experienced at other resorts.
There is a complimentary shuttle service to take you to the village. We had 2 very nice meals in the village at Mama Luisa's and Acenta. I would encourage dining at Bamboo, in the village, and the grill at La Canta. We did not dine at any of the other establishments at the resort so cannot comment on the other spots.
We had one, unavoidable problem with our shuttle one evening- it was 20 minutes late taking us out because it was making a run to the airport. In what appears to be the norm for Tortuga Bay, a bottle of Grey Goose vodka awaited us, with an apology letter, upon our return. Again, I would not have expected this recourse for such a minor issue. But our villa managers, Karin and Melissa, went out of there way to ensure a very special experience.
My wife and I both had a variety of different treatments at the spa- foot soother massage, body massage, and facial. The therapists were attentive and skilled and the treatments were on par with what would be expected from a world class resort.
The only nit I would make would be the fitness facilities. Although Tortuga's gym was clean and had a spin bike, universal machine, 2 treadmills, and an Elliptical, it was not what I would expect from a resort that provides this level of amenities and service. I will qualify this by saying I am a bit of a fitness fanatic, so perhaps my expectations are a bit overboard. I was able to get a good cardio workout and a light pump on the universal machine, but a larger, more well-appointed gym would completely top off this beautiful resort.
In summary, Tortuga Bay is a fantastic place. The staff is exceedingly gracious and the natural (and man-made) beauty of the place makes it one of the most enchanting places we have visited. We'll be back.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GApeople
Puntacana Resor... a, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, March 2, 2016
Dear Mr./Mrs. GApeople,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback following your stay at the Tortuga Bay. I was absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we met your expectations. We all look forward to welcoming you back once again in the near future.

Cel. (829) 797-1121

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
New York
Reviewed July 23, 2010

I won't be redundent I will just get straight to the point!!

This place is amazing and the perfect place for my destination wedding. The whole resort is so large I don't feel as though I am locked in. Tortuga Bay has the activities and long beach of a resort like the Half Moon (but way better), the service of a Ritz Carlton, and the chic designer style of the Round Hill Hotel and Villas. It also great because if you want to exit seclusion you can use the other services of the Punta Cana Resort and Club which is on property. The Punta Cana resort is a great option for other guests for a wedding who cannot afford the steep costs at Tortuga Bay. Food was excellent service was amazing (including VIP pickup and drop off! They also just got the Five Diamond Award (the only hotel in DR to do so!!)

But we all can do better so just a few tips. The beach is beautiful but the seaweed did begin to pile up. While every morning I saw many people raking only two people were picking up the piles with little mini barrels with a lot of beach to cover. They were working very hard but maybe the resort could get more people to pick up the piles after they have been raked or invest in a machine to do a quick rake and then have people go over it? (I think Cap Jaluca has one in Anguilla).

The beach staff was also amazing very friendly and always service with a smile. but maybe there could be two beach attendants so while one person is off taking orders there is always another person there to cover new comers to the beach. But the resort is still amazing!!!!! Book a trip there today!!!

• Stayed July 2010
2 Thank girlygirl81
Dear Mrs. girlygirl81,

Santiago de los Caballeros, Dominican Republic
Reviewed July 19, 2010

This hotel is the best option in the Punta Cana area. We were uppgraded to an oceanfront room with an amazing view. Service was impeccable, food is excellent and room amenities are also great. Nice plasma TV with many channels in different languages, fast internet connection, extremely comfortable bed, good a/c system. I do not have enough words to say how pleased we were with Tortuga Bay. For sure we will return in not too long.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr. Guido26,

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 28, 2010

This was our second experience here and what can I tell you but, don't bother to go anywhere else if you are truly looking for service, exclusivity, privacy and most of all the most gracious staff at any resort in the Caribbean bar none. This is the place for you if you want to feel as if you are the only guests at a resort . The villas are well furnished and well maintained. The beaches are breath taking and secluded. The food at Bamboo is exceptional and the staff will overwhelm you with first rate service. The new golf course, Corralles ,(a Fazio design), is by far the finest in the Carribean, and I have played them all. Jay Overton and his staff have set out to create an exclusive golf experience including a new PB Dye course set to debut in the next year. I cannot say enough how we enjoy this place. From the exclusive airport pick up to the time they drop you off in the VIP lounge for your trip home, they do not miss a step. If luxury and incredible service are not your thing then there are plenty of all inclusives around.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank hhbrrooks
Dear Mr./Mrs. hhbrrooks,

The_Cart_Toronto
Reviewed June 22, 2010

Spectacular service, rooms and location. Staff go out of there way to please (including climbing a palm tree to retrieve my sons baseball). This, by far, tops any place that I have stayed at before (many Four Seasons and Ritz-Carlton's).

Ideal for families or groups of friends who want to get away from it all.

Upgraded to 2 br beachfront. Amazing!

Hang out at the beach front clubhouse every day for lunch = Paradise.

Kids loved the golf carts.

Breakfast each morning on our patio.

The natural springs were beautiful.

Rock star airport treatment.

Pictures on website don't do this place justice. Too many other great things to mention...

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Dear Mr./Mrs. The_Cart_Toronto,

Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed June 13, 2010

At the risk of being repetitive, I must agree with all of the wonderful things others have said about this gem of a resort. During our stay at Tortuga Bay, we felt like the very fortunate guests of a friend with a luxurious beachfront villa. My husband and I have traveled throughout the Caribbean (Sandy Lane in Barbados, CuisinArt and Cap Juluca in Anguilla, Point Grace in Turks and Caicos) and we have never experienced such consistently warm, attentive, and genuinely friendly service. Every person we encountered demonstrated a personal commitment to service that far exceeded expectations. From our managers, Victor, Laura, and Karin...to the staff at Bamboo (especially Maximo and Luis)...to our gracious friend on the beach, Ezequiel...everyone took special care to anticipate our needs and ensure that we felt like honored guests. We celebrated our anniversary there, and the surprise cake and strolling singers that were presented to us at La Yola and the candlelit bubble bath that awaited us when we returned from dinner are just two examples of the many "extras" that we enjoyed during our stay. While the service deserves special recognition, the setting was equally beautiful and so private. Yes, a few little things could be improved (more comfortable beach loungers, and more menu variety). But we can say with certainty that this was one of our most memorable getaways. In our first visit to the Dominican Republic, we found a new home away from home.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank beachboundboomers
Dear Mr./Mrs. beachboundboomers,

Hull
Reviewed June 9, 2010

Wow! This is bar far one of the most spectacular places I have ever had the pleasure in staying at. Fantastic 5* food, room, beach, service. I cannot fault anything. Experienced a slightly bumpy flight for around an hour (I HATE flying), however this did not detract one iota a most wonderful holiday for myself and my partner... I would love to return in the near future, however there are sooooo many more places I must visit first! Happy holidaying!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple