All reviews la yola villa manager bamboo restaurant through customs golf cart vip service six senses ecological reserve bedroom villa punta espada international airport ocean front four seasons vip lounge segway tour private beach entire beach
Selected filters
Reviewed June 28, 2010

This was our second experience here and what can I tell you but, don't bother to go anywhere else if you are truly looking for service, exclusivity, privacy and most of all the most gracious staff at any resort in the Caribbean bar none. This is the place for you if you want to feel as if you are the only guests at a resort . The villas are well furnished and well maintained. The beaches are breath taking and secluded. The food at Bamboo is exceptional and the staff will overwhelm you with first rate service. The new golf course, Corralles ,(a Fazio design), is by far the finest in the Carribean, and I have played them all. Jay Overton and his staff have set out to create an exclusive golf experience including a new PB Dye course set to debut in the next year. I cannot say enough how we enjoy this place. From the exclusive airport pick up to the time they drop you off in the VIP lounge for your trip home, they do not miss a step. If luxury and incredible service are not your thing then there are plenty of all inclusives around.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
3  Thank hhbrrooks
Puntacana Resor... a, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2016

Dear Mr./Mrs. hhbrrooks,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback following your stay at the Tortuga Bay. I was absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we met your expectations. We all look forward to welcoming you back once again in the near future.

Reviewed June 22, 2010

Spectacular service, rooms and location. Staff go out of there way to please (including climbing a palm tree to retrieve my sons baseball). This, by far, tops any place that I have stayed at before (many Four Seasons and Ritz-Carlton's).

Ideal for families or groups of friends who want to get away from it all.

Upgraded to 2 br beachfront. Amazing!

Hang out at the beach front clubhouse every day for lunch = Paradise.

Kids loved the golf carts.

Breakfast each morning on our patio.

The natural springs were beautiful.

Rock star airport treatment.

Pictures on website don't do this place justice. Too many other great things to mention...

Date of stay: April 2010
  • Trip type: Traveled with family

Dear Mr./Mrs. The_Cart_Toronto,

Reviewed June 13, 2010

At the risk of being repetitive, I must agree with all of the wonderful things others have said about this gem of a resort. During our stay at Tortuga Bay, we felt like the very fortunate guests of a friend with a luxurious beachfront villa. My husband and I have traveled throughout the Caribbean (Sandy Lane in Barbados, CuisinArt and Cap Juluca in Anguilla, Point Grace in Turks and Caicos) and we have never experienced such consistently warm, attentive, and genuinely friendly service. Every person we encountered demonstrated a personal commitment to service that far exceeded expectations. From our managers, Victor, Laura, and Karin...to the staff at Bamboo (especially Maximo and Luis)...to our gracious friend on the beach, Ezequiel...everyone took special care to anticipate our needs and ensure that we felt like honored guests. We celebrated our anniversary there, and the surprise cake and strolling singers that were presented to us at La Yola and the candlelit bubble bath that awaited us when we returned from dinner are just two examples of the many "extras" that we enjoyed during our stay. While the service deserves special recognition, the setting was equally beautiful and so private. Yes, a few little things could be improved (more comfortable beach loungers, and more menu variety). But we can say with certainty that this was one of our most memorable getaways. In our first visit to the Dominican Republic, we found a new home away from home.

1  Thank beachboundboomers

Dear Mr./Mrs. beachboundboomers,

Reviewed June 9, 2010

Wow! This is bar far one of the most spectacular places I have ever had the pleasure in staying at. Fantastic 5* food, room, beach, service. I cannot fault anything. Experienced a slightly bumpy flight for around an hour (I HATE flying), however this did not detract one iota a most wonderful holiday for myself and my partner... I would love to return in the near future, however there are sooooo many more places I must visit first! Happy holidaying!

Date of stay: April 2010

Dear Mrs. SarahJH,

Reviewed June 5, 2010

Tortuga Bay.... ahhhh. The stress will melt from this day forward when I hear those words. This ultra-lux destination is truly a diamond in the rough. Traveling quite often, I have become accustomed to five-star destinations- TB takes the cake. There is something to be said for a beautiful place- even more to be said about delicious food, continue on with designer, Oscar de la Renta to be exact, accommodations but what truly makes Tortuga Bay exceptional is the service from the wonderful people there.

From the moment you step off the plane, you are escorted by a personal representative from Tortuga Bay, past every line through security and customs. Once receiving your luggage, you are passed on to another representative from TB and escorted in an air conditioned minivan to the resort. No need to check in a desk. Check in was private and in our villa. A Villa Manager is designated to your room for the duration of your stay and he/she is easily reached via the cell phone they give you upon check in. Need rez for dinner? Need more bottles water? Need to schedule a massage? Would you care for a bottle of champagne while sitting in your beach chair? Presto.... here comes some friendly face, dressed in khakis with a smile on. This resort takes concierge services to another level- they don't just answer the phone address you by your name, they actually know you.

Travel on the island? Personal golf carts. Love it.

We spent the first two nights in a Junior Suite, oceanfront. To accurately describe these plush accommodations, it was a large bedroom, directly looking onto the beach, wrap-around balconies- very wide- with french doors. The ceilings were very high (20 feet maybe) and the furniture tres chic ( think white cottons, dark woods, splash of yellows and oranges). The bathroom was fab. Large soaking tub with jets, double vanity, rainforest shower (separate from tub), bidet (who uses those anymore :), and L'Occitane bath products. There is a kitchenette- microwave, coffee maker, frig, ice maker and mini bar. All the necessary accoutrements were in attendance :) Premium vodka, gin, rum, scotch and vino. The water is filtered for the ice and bottled water is provided upon request. Do not go for the $7.00 VOSS in the frig, your villa manager will bring you other bottled water free of charge. We spent the following 5 nights in a 2 bedroom villa- ground level which opened up to the beach. This was tremendous. There are 2 masters, a very large living area and many french doors with views of the beach that will swallow you at first glance. The kitchen and bathrooms are relatively the same as the Jr Suite. I should also note there are walk-in closets in both accommodations as well as a safe.

The restaurants are delightful. I was worried prior to this trip as I am a foodie and have always had hard time with Caribbean restaurants- even in 5 star resorts, I take the Caribbean as an exception to the 5 star rule and usually anticipate slower service, poor wine selection and mediocre food. What a pleasant surprise at TB. Bamboo is the main restaurant for TB guests. Overlooking beautiful landscaping and the pool, the service was, as mentioned before, exceptional. The wine and cocktails were perfect and the food was fit for a FOODIE. From KOBE beef to red tail snapper- organic salads made with vegetables on property- there was food to be discussed. Epic burgers at lunch time. A burger lover, even a burger "appreciater" will not be let down. Breakfast is delightful. You can have anything your heart desires- omelettes with your fave goodies or continental pastries and fruits. Let them make you a fresh fruit drink using their Juicer! We sipped on carrot. papaya, mango and pineapple fruit juice while awaiting our perfectly cooked omelettes and toast. Try La Yola, we enjoyed it. Open lunch and dinner on weekends, dinner other nights. The Grill is a great place for lunch and overlooks the ocean. Playa Blanca can be skipped. The other restaurants were closed while we were there as they are seasonal.

While we didn't opt for doing anything but relaxing- there is horseback riding, segway tours, beautiful golf courses and a fabulous spa. I enjoyed a 90 minute massage from Mercedez. I was quite impressed. She was very professional and gave an amazingly relaxing massage. The spa is gorgeous and the people are a delight. I was served with a delicious ginger tea after my service and was pleased to see gratuity at my discretion and no additional fees added to my bill as I am accustomed to a most spas.

The pool and beaches are kept exceptionally clean. There are gentleman raking, by hand, the seaweed along the shore- DAILY. The chairs on the beach are in terrific condition and always have fresh towels within a few steps. The pool at TB was a perfect temperature and immaculate. The umbrellas are large and provide for plenty of shade, if you choose.

The resort is settled on a very large property but Tortuga Bay is intimate. What I noticed is there are perhaps a half a dozen villa homes. The top floor in most cases are 2 Junior suites. The bottom floor is a 2 bedroom villa. The restaurants, the gym, the spa, and the pro-shop are moments away- seconds with your personal golf cart which is provided at check in.

This is meant to be a review- not necessarily an accolade so I will provide some of the areas I would improve if given the opportunity. While I mentioned the beach and pool lounge chairs are in immaculate condition, there is not any padding. I prefer a layer between the wood and my towel for ultimate comfort. The water was not very hot for showering and taking baths. The first night, I registered a complaint and the staff was available within moments to help. Unfortunately, as hard as they tried, it was not resolved. When we moved to our 2 bedroom villa, it was not much warmer and I decided it wasn't going to be improved with another call as it may just not get that hot. I cannot think of another single issue. These people are on the ball.

I do not recommend TB if you are looking for a “scene to be seen.” This is very private. Many of our meals were alone- I was at the pool with very few people at most and the beach is private. I felt like I was a guest in a private home many times. Ultra- luxury... ultra private. Just what the doctor ordered for my husband and I. That isn't to say we won't be returning with our children, we will. The staff is very welcoming to families as well. We saw 2 families during our week there with toddlers and pets- everyone treated the children… and pets with kindness and respect.

We had wonderful Villa Managers- Victor, Yuliana, Karin and Melissa. They never missed a beat. Very detailed- thorough and never a moment without a smile. We had terrific service day after day at Bamboo- make sure to say hello to Luis, Antonio and Cesar. We had a private dinner on the beach one night and Luis, our server and Melissa, our Villa Manager, made it a lifetime memory. Imagine Tiki torches, champagne, a trio playing music, amazing food and the waves lapping at your feet. Perf.

Whether you are looking for a romantic vaca with your lover or the perfect girls getaway- even a family vacation- if luxury is your style and relaxation is your speed... dial Tortuga Bay. It isn't to be missed.

PS ...Bring your wallet. :)

8  Thank TravelerTracy88