All reviews la yola villa manager bamboo restaurant through customs golf cart six senses vip service ecological reserve bedroom villa fresh water lagoons punta espada international airport ocean front four seasons vip lounge private beach baggage claim
Reviewed April 20, 2014

This was the mantra repeated the whole flight home by my wife and kids (5, 7, and 10). I really cannot say enough great things about our trip to Tortuga Bay. We stayed in a three bedroom ocean front villa during our stay. The private beach was only about 100 feet across a beautiful lawn. The sunrises were mesmerizing and the ocean views spectacular. The beach was never crowded and there was a beach runner to get us whatever food and drinks we wanted, as well as towels, cushions, and umbrellas.

The rooms were large and comfortable. Each room has a private bathroom and is well maintained by the cleaning staff. Each room also have a phone to directly contact the assigned Villa Manager, no matter where you are in the Dominican Republic. When on site, we had two golf carts at our disposal to explore the entire site. We took the cart to the EcoPark and Rancho (very interesting places, well worth the visit) as well as over to the Grill for lunch.

The dining options we took advantage of are Bamboo, La Yola, and the Grill. We loved Bamboo! The food was very good, but the staff even better (Antonio, Francisco, Juan, Jose, and Ramone became like family). La Yola was OK, but the service terrible. The Grill is not worth the visit. I reviewed each with greater detail at their TripAdvisor sites.

Vanessa and JJ (the Grey Line representative located in house) were immensely helpful planning excursions that fit our family, our interests, and our schedule. With their help, we selected the Pirate Dinner Excursion (Caribbean Buccaneers), Monkey Land, and Dolphin Explorer. We loved the first two and the Dolphins were cool (although other aspects of the Dolphin Explorer need improvement). I reviewed each of these on the TripAdvisor sites, as well. JJ also helped us put together a shopping excursion, which we enjoyed as well.

The only negative (probably turned out to be a positive) that I have is that the internet connection during our stay was unreliable and very slow. The result was that I was unable to connect to my work servers during the entire stay. The tech support staff tried their best to help, but were unable to do so. The inability to work at all really forced me to do what I was there for, vacation! However, if being able to work or having the ability to communicate with work during your stay is important, I caution you that you may have trouble. Hopefully they iron out this one glitch before our next visit as I guarantee there will be one.

Room Tip: Definitely spend the extra money to get the ocean front villa!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank VKShier
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Dear Mr. / Mrs. Shier,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Tortuga Bay Hotel on Tripadvisor! It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guest.

Once more, thank you for your comments. We hope to be able to welcome you again at Tortuga Bay Puntacana Resort & Club , and give you a “ one- of a- kind’’ Leading Experience .

Reviewed April 17, 2014

We just returned from five days at Tortuga Bay and it was a much needed escape that we both needed.We have stayed at the best resorts in the US and around the the world so our expectations are very high.We were not disappointed with the property and had a wonderful stay.The staff are well trained and seem to enjoy and appreciate their jobs and go out of their way to please and take care of our needs.I had heard that the food was not the best and we had rented a car to drive to Barvaro to eat at Passion Restaurant with the seven course meal and wine tasting and it was on par with Per Se in NYC and a great experience and only 18 min from the resort. However we found out that the food at Bamboo was very good and we had several delicious meals there and excellent wines which I appreciate since I have my own wine collection with the best wines from around the world.The beach was beautiful and very peaceful and drinks and food always available and service excellent.We also enjoyed the bikes and golf carts and exploring the area.We will be going back even though we like to experience new places .I have never written a review but felt this place was special enough and would like others used to the best to experience it.One last thing ,the airport was packed but coming and going we were wisked thru customs within a few minutes with our own personal escort and to the resort faster than anywhere that we have been in the world. Steve Ritchie

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Sritchie2014
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2014

Dear Mr. / Mrs. Scritchie,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Tortuga Bay Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks. As a member of The Leading Hotels of the World, the hotel continuously strives to meet your needs and expectation.

Reviewed April 16, 2014

Wonderful experience. Hotel staff are incredibly friendly and helpful. Property very well maintained. Food at Bamboo restaurant is excellent. Only negative comment - pool are is not as attractive as rest of the property.

Room Tip: room overlooking beach
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

Dear Mr. / Mrs. Omann,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Tortuga Bay Hotel on Tripadvisor ! It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guest.

Reviewed April 10, 2014

Let me first say that I have never provided comments or feedback for products, services or resorts. In this case, I feel that positive feedback is well deserved. My wife and I needed a reprieve from our demanding technical occupations. For me, Tortuga Bay was the perfect getaway vacation.

My wife and I have vacationed in Puerto Rico, Turks and Caicos, Aruba, Barbados and Cancun. We’ve also had a couple of Caribbean cruises. My wife arranged for our trip to the Dominican Republic. I had no knowledge of where we were staying and I had no reason to expect anything other than what we’ve experienced in the past. Instead of a “vacation”, we had a memorable “experience”.

I won’t be able to cover every detail of our experience, but I’ll share the highlights. My wife and I prefer casual elegance, a relaxed atmosphere and an intimate setting. We felt like celebrities as from the time we set foot on Dominican Republic soil to the time we stepped on the stairs to enter the aircraft for our departing flight. I was so relieved that we did not have to wait in any lines entering or leaving the airport. We did not have to wait for transportation from the airport to the resort, nor did we have to wait for transportation to the airport.

Upon arrival to the resort, we received personalized service. Our villa manager drove us to our villa in our golf cart and presented us with an overview of the resort. Once we arrived at our villa, she provided a villa tour and gave us an orientation. She also explained how to use our assigned cellphone in the event that we needed anything. Our villa was located at the southern end of the beachfront. From the second floor, we had a gorgeous view of the beach and a view of a waterfront golf course hole.

No matter where we were in this part of the resort, it felt like the resort was there especially for us. On many occasions, we were the only couple at the beach, at the Bamboo restaurant or at the cigar bar. The service at the Bamboo restaurant and the cigar bar was exceptional. We never really saw the menu at the restaurant, because our waiter always had the perfect recommendation for us. When I requested a drink recommendation to accompany my Cohiba cigar, the bartender provided the perfect compliment.

The General Manager greeted us several times during our short stay. It was also very nice that our villa manager checked in on us to see if we needed anything. The staff was friendly, pleasant and extremely polite while being authentic. In my opinion, the stars of the resort were Emanuel and Francisco at the Bamboo restaurant.

My wife and I needed a break from our daily grind and heavy responsibilities. We needed privacy, beautiful surroundings, and a stress free experience. We did not take advantage of everything the resort had to offer, but we got what we needed. We arrived tired and stressed. We left relaxed and refreshed. Tortuga Bay set our new standard for casual elegance and I am not sure if any other resort can meet or exceed that standard at this price point. We feel grateful to experience the beautiful and well-appointed facility and the exceptional service that Tortuga Bay management and staff delivered!

Room Tip: We enjoyed the privacy and location of Villa 6224. It located on the upper floor and has unobstructed views of the beach and a beachside golf course green.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Joe H
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2014

Dear Mr. / Mrs. Joe H,

Reviewed April 1, 2014

Our first experience with the hotel was its VIP airport transfer. From the time we landed until we were seated at the Bamboo restaurant for lunch was no more than 40 minutes at the most. My wife has several allergies which I alerted the hotel of before our arrival. At lunch, the head of all their restaurants introduced himself to us and assured us that her allergies would be strictly adhered to. This made us all feel very comfortable from the start. We went on to enjoy a excellent lunch at which point the villa manager took us to our apartment. I'll call it an apartment instead of a hotel room, because it was very nicely sized with kitchen, two bedrooms and a large living room area that looks out onto the ocean. This is the closest you will get to feeling like you own your own home in DR since the beach is private and the number of hotel guests is very limited so it never feels crowded. Have you ever had an assistant that was at your beck and call? When you check in, you will get a cell phone that has the villa manager's phone number already programmed in. If you need anything at all, whether out at the beach or at the pool or wherever you might be, simply call the villa manger and they will provide it. I honestly can say that they really try to go above and beyond in the service they provide and nothing is ever a problem. Definitely would recommend for those who are looking for a quiet, relaxing vacation.

Room Tip: You will not be disappointed with any ocean front room. We were on the first floor which opens right out to a grass area and then the beach.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank LouisL100
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Dear David,