Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club
Podgorica, Montenegro
“Worth It”
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Excellent, excellent, excellent!

I have to say before arriving I was a little hesitant about paying a premium compared to the other resorts in Punta Cana. However, it was well worth the expense.

The VIP treatment at the airport alone is worth the money. You are picked up plane-side and whisked through immigration and customs with movie star treatment.

Once you arrive at the resort it’s like being on your own private island. We saw maybe four other guests during our stay. The staff is well trained and accommodates requests. The private beach is secluded away from the Punta Cana crowds at other resorts.

If you want white glove treatment, privacy, and first class service then pay the extra money because it’s definitely worth it.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Alton D
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Dear Mr. / Mrs. Alton ,

First of all, may I wish you happy a Holiday Season & prosperous 2014 .On behalf of our team members & myself , thank you for taking the time to write to me and comment on your recent stay at Tortuga Bay on Trip-advisor. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I am delighted to read that your expectations were met or exceeded and that you will return to us when you next visit at Tortuga Bay. Your feedback is invaluable and much appreciated, as it enables us to constantly monitor and improve the care and service we provide to our guests. I will share your comments with my team members!

I look forward to welcoming you back to Tortuga Bay in the future, and give you a "a one - of a kind Leading Experience''.

Your sincerely

GERENTE GENERAL TORTUGA BAY
809.959.8229 Ext.7220
MOBILE:829.797.1121

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Brunswick, Maine
Reviewed December 17, 2013

I'm not the type who generally spends $900 a night for a room (for a family of five, much less just my wife and I), nor do I suspect I would ever make a habit of it. But if you are planning a special trip with someone special, this would be the place to go. The hotel is barely 10 minutes form the airport (although you would hardly know it once you get to the property). VIP service is in effect literally from the moment you step off the plane. Others have mentioned this but it bears repeating - you do not wait in any lines coming or going at the Punta Cana airport, not for bags, not to check passports. (Any of you who have travelled to other Caribbean destinations chew on that concept for a moment as you recall waiting - as I did once - for an hour and a half to clear customs in Jamaica). Not with this hotel. The golf cart greets you as you walk off the plane, runs you to a separate desk and you're done, into a cab and at your room. Were it a week long trip, an hour drive or wait may not be as disastrous and avoiding it not worth the significant additional cost. On a tighter time frame - in this case a four day, three night getaway for our anniversary - it was a true slice of heaven that added to the overall vacation feel. We went through our own security checkpoint on return (my wife, not to mention the other five hundred people waiting in the check-in line, thought I was a rock star of some sort). The property itself is in really good shape. Still looks brand new. The beach is very nice too - there are several teams of men who go up and down the beach collecting unsightly seaweed and removing it. No undertow to speak of. Breakfast was included and was always fresh and delicious. When you check in you have your own staff person assigned to you who helps make dinner suggestions and reservations, arranges for golf, spa, (both nice and both pricey) its a nice touch. I would not necessarily recommend this for active families (my kids are 11, 10 and 7) for an extended stay, not that they wouldn't have a good time but they might get a little bored and the parents wouldn't enjoy the complete role reversal of having someone regularly asking them if there is anything they would like or need.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank beleaguereddaddy
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear Mr. / Mrs. Beleaguereddaddy ,

Your sincerely

GERENTE GENERAL TORTUGA BAY
809.959.8229 Ext.7220
MOBILE:829.797.1121
Beverly Hills, California
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Tortuga Bay is far beyond any 5 Star beach resort my wife and I have ever stayed at or visited.

It is beautiful beyond belief. It is luxurious and inviting and spectacular and calming all at the same time. The beach is of course incredible; but that's only the beginning. The Villas are unbelievably gorgeous, with the finest design and decor. They are perfection! The staff surpasses the service at any beach resort we have stayed at and is equal to the type of service one receives at 5 star hotels in London, Paris, Rome or New York.

Vincenzo is a "master hotelier" and it shows! The on site restaurant Bamboo has a wonderful "top tier/ award winning" French Chef, Roman. He oversees the operation and his Caribbean Tiramisu is my wife's all time favorite dessert and of course all of the Bamboo dishes and food presentations are equal to any 5 star restaurant in the U.S. or Europe.

Besides "lazing" on the beach for hours there is: horseback riding at a first rate stable with wonderful horses (we rode with our guide on the beach and the ride was spectacular), biking (on beach type wide tire bikes) golf ( on two of the world's most beautiful beachside golf courses), a nature preserve filled with several fresh water lagoons that one can swim in (look out for the young sea turtles that are present) and a fabulous Tortuga Bay poolside rum and cigar bar with the most likeable bartenders and cigar experts in Punta Cana.

Obviously we are going back -- the sooner the better. Forget Mexico, forget even Hawaii. The Dominican people are warm, gracious and friendly and they like to have fun!

One last point. Flying into Punta Cana International Airport is the absolute best situation one can have short of a private jet into a FBO. Arriving Tortuga Bay guests are given VIP treatment and whisked away to the hotel by a VIP hostess. It makes flying fun and even better than the old days!

Mr. De La Renta and Vincenzo --- thank you both for creating and maintaining such a wonderful and unique beach resort experience.

Robert Cohen and Valerie Nickerson Cohen

3 Thank Robert C
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Dear Mr. / Mrs. Robert Cohen and Valerie,

Dear Mr. / Mrs Nickerson Cohen,

On behalf of our team members & myself , thank you for taking the time to write to trip-advisor and comment on your recent experience at Tortuga Bay ! It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I am delighted to read that your expectations were met or exceeded and that you will return to us when you next visit Tortuga Bay.

I look forward to welcoming you back at Tortuga Bay in the future, and give you a "a one - of a kind Leading Experience''.

vcalcerano@puntacana.com
Potomac, Maryland
Reviewed December 8, 2013

VIP treatment at airport by staff, allowing you to bypass any lines arriving or departing, including escort to the plane ahead of all other passengers after waiting in private VIP lounge.

Beautiful villa with ocean view (wife and myself). Personal golf cart is perfect for getting around.

Food was better than we expected, based on some other comments. Had private,beachside dinner for two with dedicated waitstaff.

Golf was excellent, beautiful courses, fair, well kept. Caddies are super-nice and only $30 (but deserve an added tip for their services. Very few players on the courses, so rounds are under 4 hours.

But best aspect is very attentive and appreciative staff. Checked on us many times a day to see if all was well. Being given a cell phone to contact your personal concierge was definitely useful.
Our concierge, Yanil, never failed to end conversations without saying ""It was a pleasure serving you"

The Spa provided superb massage treatments. Reasonable charges

Complimentary breakfast at the pool was stocked with wide array of items to choose from.

Room Tip: If not getting a full villa, do get the top floor with ocean view.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sonny b
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear Mr. / Mrs. Sonny ,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Tortuga Bay Hotel on Tripadvisor! It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guest.

I will share your comments with our team members, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks. As a member of The Leading Hotels of the World, the hotel continuously strives to meet your needs and expectation.

Once more, thank you for your comments. We hope to be able to welcome you again at Tortuga Bay Puntacana Resort & Club , and give you a “ one- of a- kind’’ Leading Experience .

Your sincerely,

New York, NY
Reviewed December 4, 2013

the best part about staying here is the VIP pickup plane-side when you land and bypassing all the immigrations lines. staff overall is very friendly and happy to help but we did get a lot of conflicting information/rates while booking activities which made deciding what to do confusing. the villas are decorated nicely but showing a little wear. there were loose doorknobs, ripped upholstery, and the telephones smell funky. we couldn't get the a/c below 74/75 for a long time and i think the humidity also makes the rooms feel not as crisp. at night time, the a/c vent was blowing right on our face so we had to turn it off and got warm. anyway, temp control was a little hard in the room. the pool by the main restaurant isn't very inviting, so check out the beach club area. golf is good and might as well play since it's right there. spa treatment at six senses is amazing tho their hallways feel hot like a sauna. beaches are kind of windy, when we were there anyway, which made the water cloudy and there's no good snorkeling easily accessible. food is ok, not memorable. oh, bring bug spray.

4 Thank trippyNYC
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Dear Mr./ Mrs. Trippy,

First of all, we would like to thank you for taking the time to let us know your comments from your stay in Tortuga Bay. As we are deeply committed to achieving our guest's total satisfaction, your opinion is very important to us.

We would like to offer our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience that you have experienced. At the same time you can feel assured that your comments helped us identify or focus on any possible deficiencies that may exist in Tortuga Bay and take whatever corrective actions may be necessary.

Once more, thank you for your comments. We hope to be able to welcome you again to Tortuga Bay, and give you a "Leading" Experience.

General Manager Hotel TORTUGA BAY
Tortuga Bay, Puntacana Resort & Club
Tel. (809) 959-8229 Ext. 7220
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

Visited Tortuga Bay with family for the holiday weekend. We were greeted as soon as we got off the plane and escorted to the resort car after immigration and baggage claim. The villa and the staff were wonderful. Only issue is Mosquitos are everywhere in the rooms and it's tough to avoid them especially at night. Food was okay- nothing I would rave about. We never dined at the same place twice because there was nothing to go back for. However the friendly staff made up for any downfalls. Golf cart convenience was great as well. The beaches were nice and intimate. We only ran into two families though all the villas were occupied - Definitely has a more home stay feel vs hotel which was nice and different. Wasn't a fan of the pool- it was small and right outside the central restaurant. My moms arm did become infected after all the big bites but the villa manager did try her best to help. Between her and the other staff, we had an enjoyable weekend. Our journey back was great- we were escorted through security and immigration again and taken through the VIP entrances. Overall the convenience and staff have made me think that I would go back and recommend to others! Also would ensure that we carry lots of bug spray!

Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Finertravels
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear Finertravels,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Tortuga Bay Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks. As a member of The Leading Hotels of the World, the hotel continuously strives to meet your needs and expectation.

Your sincerely,

Little Silver
Reviewed December 2, 2013

My husband I got married on the beach in front of the old Punta Cana hotel 6 years ago, and our reception was held at La Yola. We came back last month for our anniversary to check things out and take a trip down memory lane. We were not disappointed. We were treated like royalty from the moment we arrived. A Tortuga Bay staff member greets you as soon as you step off the plane, takes you personally through the airport, and you are at the resort in 10 minutes. After a quick personal tour of the grounds, the rep gives you her personal cell to call if there are any issues. I requested two bikes and they were both at our villa by the time we took the short walk to the beach and back. A golf cart was also waiting for us, and I must say we had no problem with ours. We took it everywhere and without issue or concern. I have no idea what that last reviewer is talking about, it in no way does this place justice. We stayed in one of the balcony rooms and the view was breathtaking. The room itself was immaculate and tastefully decorated. We travel quite a bit and stay in only 5 star places and Tortuga Bay is among the very best. What makes this place stand out is the staff's attention to detail and service. They make it their business to make sure your every need is met. From the server who works the beach hustling back and forth to the pool bar, to the breakfast buffet that has everything you need (and if not, they will make for you - ie veggie omelet for me), I cannot say enough positive about this place. We ate at La Yola on our anniversary and the food was just as good as we remembered. You cannot beat the setting - a beautiful spot in the marina, right on the water (cut outs in the floor so you can see the water below) and balmy DR breezes. The staff is most professional and very well trained. It's the attention to small detail (knowing the menu, knowing when to ask if you need anything, never obtrusive) that you really notice when dining in places like this. When they brought our bill, they also brought a complimentary dessert with a candle, in honor of our anniversary. The little surprises did not end there. On our last night we ended up dining and drinking at the Bamboo for hours. When we got back to our room, imagine our surprise when we opened the door and found lit candles forming a runway throughout the villa, into the bathroom, up the stairs of the sunken tub, around the tub, champagne on ice with two flutes, chocolate covered strawberries on a tray, balloons and a sign that read 'Happy Anniversary'. A bubble bath has been drawn and was still hot. The effort that must have gone into this, especially getting the timing right so the water was still hot when we arrived, we can only imagine. My husband and I looked at each other in disbelief. We have traveled the world and never, EVER, have we been treated this way. This is first class top notch service at it's best. The staff treats you like family. You cannot ask for more when traveling away from home. To top it off, when we arrived back at the airport, they again provide VIP treatment - whisking you past the long security lines and into a private room, complete with small sandwiches, drinks, and desserts. From there they took us past the long lines waiting to board the plane, to a golf cart that drove us out on the tarmac right to the foot of the plane. When I got to the top of the plane's stairs I turned around and waved. I couldn't help myself. It was surreal. Everyone was wondering who we were - if they only knew we were just two normal folks who happened to stay at Tortuga Bay. I hope others read this and check this place out. I have raved about this experience to anyone that will listen. I rely on trip advisor for all my trips/dining out, and yet this is only the second review I have written. This place is MAGICAL. Go. Enjoy. Be treated like royalty. You deserve it. PS. Vincenzo and Mariela: Thank you for everything. We will back back.

Dear Mr. / Mrs. Vancouverk,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Tortuga Bay Hotel on Tripadvisor ! It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guest.