Visited hotel first week of June 2014. Went with best friend and old man. We stayed for 5 nights and 6 days.
Booked directly on hotels website. Paid cash upon arrival (same cost).
Safe key, Alcohol, soda, club soda, tonic and bottle water provided in all rooms.
Where given rooms that we requested right near each other.
Very large hotel. Has 3 floors. Rooms on both sides of large court yard. Large pool facing ocean. They have 3 hot tubs.
Hotel is right next to all RIU hotels. Nice paver walking trail between all RIU's. Gives you a chance to walk on their grounds and see the layout and you can walk on the entire beach without being cut off.
Beach was clean with plenty of palm trees that offered shade. Many women where bathing topless.
Plenty of beach chairs and although all RIU's where close together, beach was never crowded.
Many couples and friends, very few children however they offered children activities.
Two buffets in open air eating areas. Three restaurants, but MUST make a reservation to eat and all restaurants, they are located on first floor of hotel.
Hotel staff worked tirelessly. Serving, entertaining, front desk, bar attendants. All the staff appeared to be between the ages of 21-30yrs.
***Excursions: We booked ours with the hotel concierge which are located on the beach.
-Catamaran was fun. Two hours for $40 each including snorkeling in the ocean and party area where the water was waist high.
-Swimming with the Dolphins ($135 at Manati park) Non- swimmer paid ($35)
-Dolphin photo video cost ($45) for about 30 pictures
-Para sailing- fun pictures where taken about 64 shots for ($35)
-Full body massage for 1 hour cost ($70)
-Shopping at San Juan Market, free bus but all stores sold American items for high prices. Very few stores and has supermarket.
We knew after reading reviews to bring plenty of singles for tips, however, we felt like it was more EXPECTED than appreciated. Tipping someone for doing their job, hmmm. I don't get a tip for doing mine... However excellent service does merit a tip. So we tipped quite a bit.
There are some stores on the grounds to shop. However they where begging us to come in and wanted to negotiate prices depending on what you buy. Everywhere you shop was a PAIN.. constant begging to purchase. Also they charged double the price for everything. So I started dividing all the prices in half and negotiated from there. PAY WHAT YOU REALLY FEEL SOMETHING IS worth to YOU..
-Low end alcohol.. suggestion: bring your own or go somewhere else if you want top shelf.
COMMUNICATION: If you know some Spanish, you can get by. The staff try's to communicate in English, when they have to. Take a common phrase cheat sheet with you.
Their favorite words: (cheapy, cheapy) (looky, looky) (clappy, clappy).. LOL!!!
Finally, my girlfriend and I got sick after day 3.. started having loose stools. By the time I we reached home I had severe travelers diarrhea. Don't know what exactly caused it but, I drank about 3 pina colada's, used ice for my drinks in restaurants. Ate the same breakfast every morning and had fine dining for 3 nights.
My best advice: If you have a low acid stomach, start taking an antacid before you start eating and drinking to protect your stomach.
Overall, we had fun. Weather was wonderful, sunny and warm everyday. They played Latin music the entire time except about twice the played Beyonce.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on Arena Gorda Beach in Punta Cana * Inside the Riu Resort, along with the Riu Palace Macao, Riu Palace Bavaro, Riu Naiboa hotels and the ClubHotel Riu Bambu * The Splash Water World will be opened from 1st November 2016 * 4-story building * Surrounded by 63,000 m2 / 75,000 sq. Yards of lush gardens * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 40 km / 31 miles from Higuey * 30 km / 19 miles from Punta Cana Intl. Airport Accepted Credit Cards: MasterCard, Visa ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with RIU Hotels and Resorts, Expedia, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Punta Cana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Punta Cana Hotel Punta Cana
- Punta Cana Riu Palace
- Riu Palace Hotel Punta Cana